[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice for freshman?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Effects.jpg (438 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Effects.jpg
438 KB, 1000x1000
I'm going to start college in about a month. I'm dorming and everything, and I was wondering what kind of advice /r9k/ has for a future college freshman?
>>
bump,lump,sump
>>
First weeks are crucial for getting friends, if you miss this opportunity you'll be fucked as friend groups will have already formed and you'll be left on the outside trying to penetrate an existing group, which is much harder than just being there at the formation of said group.

If you have no social skills spend this time reading books about social skills..
http://bookzz.org/s/?q=how+to+win+friends+and+influence+people
http://bookzz.org/s/?q=definitive+book+of+body+language+alan+and+barbera+pease

Also don't ask r9k for advice. You're lucky that I (a normie) just happened to look at this board on my way past to go shitpost on /g/ about phones.
>>
>>29301614
> normie
> finds it hard to "penetrate an existing friend group"

If youre really a normie you can make friends with pretty much every one at any time

> like me
> ENFP masterrace
>>
>>29301614
This dumbass is kind of right about your friend window. Sort of. Depends on your major. He's mostly full of shit about reading fucking pop psy self-help-in-disguise "literature" though.

Consider your major carefully but rest assured that capital L Literally the most important thing from visual art to CS is making sure you know people who matter.

If you pick a small incestuous major like I did (Architecture), you'll get to know only people in your major and no one else ever outside it, ever because you sleep in the studio if you know what's good for you. Positives: you get built in friends. Negatives: they're not your friends , and everyone thinks they're the only genius left.

If you pick a big major, you'll be fine. People usually settle into not making new friends at the halfway point of college or a little after.

Best advice I can offer is to GO TALK TO YOUR PROFESSORS ABOUT MOST ANYTHING WHENEVER YOU GET THE CHANCE. Make sure in a class of two hundred, they know your first name. I used to go shoot the shit with an astronomy professor during most all of my free time, talk about books i was reading and he would rec me shit. Talk about news in the physics world--his whole job is to love the material and love the field, make friends with them. These people will recommend you for jobs and positions, and will be the bridge between school and not school for you

And no one is going to make sure it happens. The people who get jobs after college are the ones who knew someone, simple as that. You have to do this yourself.

Also don't join a fraternity ever for any reason or ever go to fraternity events. Your time is always better spent pretty much anywhere else doing anything else.

Last bit of advice: this is the last time in your life you'll be truly "carefree." probably doesnt feel that way, but it will once college is behind you. Be sure to take a weekend once a semester to sack out, black the windows and play vidya.
>>
>>29301768
>If youre really a normie you can make friends with pretty much every one at any time

It doesn't change the fact that penetrating an existing friend group is objectively harder than being in at the beginning. Which is what I said.

>myers-briggs horoscope personality meme
Opinion: discarded
>>
>>29301869
>>29301869
Its not you just have to make friends with one person and can instantly get integrated in their group of friends

Whats so bad about myers- briggs horoscope?
>>
>>29301865
Oh, footnote:

Don't forget that the list of influential people on the scale of all mankind who had started doing important shit by age 25 is loooooooooooooooong

So.... Always be working to produce something. Write, draw, think, program, whatever you do: cultivate an interest that involves MAKING something POLEMICAL. The goal isn't to make it on that list, the goal is to be proud of yourself and have a body of work to defend your hard-won pride, even if no one ever knows you have it. It's not your job to tell them. Don't forget that.
>>
Leave your room
>>
File: MBTI.jpg (291 KB, 478x1428) Image search: [Google]
MBTI.jpg
291 KB, 478x1428
>>29301937
>Its not you just have to make friends with one person and can instantly get integrated in their group of friends
No you're a friend of a friend.

>Whats so bad about myers- briggs horoscope?
Its bullshit.
>>
>>29301983
Wont read all that shit but i was fitting for me thats what i can say

Like its so hard to get friends with them too once you get integrated im group activities...

Give me a few days with nearly anyone and i can become their friend if i want, maybe im just good at manipulating people

Anyways making friends in the first week is a good idea for the average robot i guess
>>
Major in something that matters, dont dick around with stupid bullshit or be undeclared. If your classes are easy you are doing it wrong.

If you end up in science get involved in research ASAP. Talk to professors about their research, ask if you can come work in their lab. Its great for your future and it gives you a very relevant social support network.

Don't be afraid of opportunities. A lot of programs and opportunities really dress themselves up to try and seem like more than they are, and that can intimidate some people into thinking they aren't cut out for it. Just go for it.

If you aren't going to graduate school don't expect to get a job just because you have good grades. You need some sort of social network from internships or friends or projects to get you in the door somewhere. You really want to start thinking about jobs and how you an get them very early.
>>
Question: What is you're a socially awkward NEET that can barely make conversation? How do I survive college then?
>>
>>29302753
you learn to be the opposite of what you are. You've probably read/heard it before but you just need to practice at it. Learning how to hold conversation with anyone is a crucial skill, start asap. Don't fucking put it off either, try to start now so that by the time you get to school you can make a decent friend group. Don't let the first year pass you by without making friends. It only gets harder the farther you progress into school
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.