[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are video games such garbage nowadays? Why have video games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: 1462648627813.png (32 KB, 1096x764) Image search: [Google]
1462648627813.png
32 KB, 1096x764
Why are video games such garbage nowadays? Why have video games lost their magic? I'm having a difficult time finding anything remotely interesting or worth playing. Why is there such a lack of variance as to what games are being developed? Everything is a sequel or a generic shootbang. Nobody takes any risks anymore. Capitalism has ruined gaming just like it ruins every form of art. The potential of a new idea flopping keeps triple A developers peddling nothing but the same monotonous schlock that sell well but is ultimately forgotten. It's so boring. Is indie development truly the future of the industry?The popular leisure past-times all go out of style eventually. Reading, radio, TV and movies. Now videogames. They never die, but instead devolve into a nasty corporation-dominated mess that stifles any kind of creativity and novelty. The only hope we have is indie development and potentially VR, but I have little faith. Perhaps it is time we say goodbye to video gaming as a form of entertainment as it used to be.
>>
>>29300031
Fire emblem fates is pretty great
>>
Sorry for the ramble but let me know what you guys think about the state of the industry. I'm having trouble making my thoughts into any kind of cohesive or constructive argument about what needs to happen for things to change.
>>
>>29300031
Just play indie games
>>
>>29300158
what indie games are not shit?
>>
>>29300199
Cave story
Shovel knight
Mark of the ninja
Dust: an elysian tale
Oni and the blind forest
Hotline miami
>>
>>29300158
Kero frog
Bastion
>>
>>29300266
That's really all there is? I've played all of those, save for Dust and Mark of the Ninja. While good, not particularly satisfying or worth coming back to.
>>
the most important part of a video game is the soundtrack to be honest
older games generally had god tier music
>>
>>29300316
This is true. The only game to come out this year with what I'd call a good soundtrack is Dark Souls 3, and even that is quite generic.
>>
>>29300031
What did you love playing OP?
My problem is mostly like >>29300316
said. Not THE most important part as having fun with your hands is what can make or break a game, but a memorable soundtrack is just godly and I'm not hearing much of that recently.
>>
>>29300347

I don't get why people wank over Souls music. Sounds like generic orchestral sync music to me.

The only memorable piece of music in any Souls game for me is the original Firelink music. Or the BB opening cutscene if we're counting that.
>>
>>29300031
>Why are video games such garbage nowadays?
skill gap compression and cinimatic experience.
>>
Money and big business and, recently, the SJW slave morality that's undermining romantic individualism as a cultural zeitgeist.

Games have been about unique vision and healthy sentimentality. SJWs are attacking classical ideals and demanding they be replaced with self-loathing oaths of allegiance to the privilege party.

Games used to be made by groups of introverted males. Many introverted males are sensitive people with a high appreciation for a deeply personal aesthetics that they cultivated independently at their own leisure. They started getting bullied out of the industry when the Xbox arrived. Now, they're getting even more bullied by the PC crowd.

Garage games and Japanese games were a reservoir of nostalgia for European culture before culture died and everyone's personality was homogenized via the Internet.

So the real art is being beaten out of games from all sides.
>>
>>29300266
I don't even feel like recommending anything to you because you seem like an enormous fag in a fit of rage, but I'll do it anyway

Binding of Isaac Rebirth + Afterbirth
This war of mine
Sheltered
Terraria
Space Engineers
Hotline Miami 2
Xcom 2 (i realize this was not indie, but great)
Speedrunners
Stardew Valley
FTL
Tabletop Simulator
The Escapists
Monaco
Magicka 1 and 2 (only good with friends, which I assume you don't have)
Layers of Fear
Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2
Underrail
Ronin
Gunpoint
Deadbolt
Pony Island
Sunless Sea
Kerbal Space Program
Antichamber
Hotline Miami 1&2

Just to name a few. There is something in that list for fans of every genre, just pick one you gigantous dickhead.
>>
File: 1381314925208.png (589 KB, 493x679) Image search: [Google]
1381314925208.png
589 KB, 493x679
>>29301136
Not fighting games.
I'm not really on a tirade because I'm pretty content right now, but why are there no robots that play fighters? Or the most is "played MK at a mate's house" or something.
>>
>>29300031

My solution was to look up every >= 9/10 game on every console I've missed. I now have enough backlog for a year, and perhaps in that time they'll make one or two new games.

Right now going through Xenosaga on a ps2 emulator.
>>
>>29301136
Literally everything you posted is "me too" tryhard hipster bullshit.
>>
>>29301221

*good new games

>>29301211

As a robot, I guess RPGs and strategy just appeals more to the general smart neckbear types. Fighting is more for the competitive high-test types, ie normies.
>>
Hearts of Iron IV came out a couple weeks ago. I'm going to disregard your post.
>>
>>29301136
>pony island
>>
>>29301255
Elite:Dangerous

Seriously, it's fun as hell
>>
>>29301255
Wow, all my "normie" went into my choice in vidya.
They're fun as fuck. When you win, it's on your terms and losing doesn't last since matches are over quick and you can just dust yourself off and get back up there.

I just wish I had more robots to talk with, I'm pretty bad myself, but I absolutely love them.
>>
>>29300031
>how come everything in the past was always better and the world is constantly changing for the worse around me while I stand perfectly still in the middle of it all

I've got some bad news for you, cowboy
>>
>>29301244
Yeah and every post you ever made is literally "try hard to fit in with the edgy kids on 4chinz" bullshit.

Talk to me again when you are old enough to drink beer, buddy.
>>
File: 1464187059588.jpg (10 KB, 261x197) Image search: [Google]
1464187059588.jpg
10 KB, 261x197
>art
Stopped reading there desu
>>
>>29300031
>Capitalism ruins art
>Indie devs are our only hope

Level up Op, read a fucking book
>>
>>29300199
Check out Darkest Dungeon if you like rpgs. Interesting takes on the genre for sure.
>>
>>29301319

I find them boring as hell. There is no reward in being slightly faster at twitching your finger than the other guy, or practicing your muscle memory more - it's all just rote, meaningless training or reflexes. Any action-only game just leaves me wanting to doze off.

In a strategy game, I learn new approaches and have to actually think on a deeper level than "if I jump, will he dodge?". Intellectually stimulating (no fedora). In a good RPG, the story pulls me in.

You may want to read "Glued to games", it's about the game psychology.
>>
>>29301596
I find it more than twitch reactions, I thought learning your opponent's strategies and tendencies and changing yourself up accordingly to be the fun part. People are different and matches can vary wildly because of that.
>>
>>29301244
Literally fuck off, I've played FTL and Kerbal and both are dank as fuck

>not being a spaceman
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0wuwJBdMI#t=6m47s

WATCH THIS

AS SCHUMPETER CALLED IT, CAPITALISM IS "CREATIVE DESTRUCTION", IT CANNOT ABIDE STASIS, IT MUST CONSTANTLY INVADE AND COLONISE NEW AREAS OF CULTURE AND SOCIETY

IN THE EARLY PHASE OF CAPITALIST INVASION OF AN INDUSTRY OR POTENTIAL INDUSTRY, THE USUAL METHOD IS TO PATRONIZE EXISTING CONTENT CREATORS, WHO STILL HAVE SOUL, AND WHO ARE TYPICALLY DOING IT BECAUSE IT'S THEIR QUASI-MYSTICAL ARTISTIC CALLING, TAPPED RIGHT INTO THE FUCKING WORLD-SOUL

BUT SLOWLY THE CAPITALIST SYSTEMATIZES, IT "ROUTINIZES THE CHARISMA" OF THE GIVEN SPHERE, IT REACHES A HOMEOSTATIC EQUILIBRIUM THROUGH FEAR OF TAKING RISKS, WHICH IS FUNDAMENTAL TO THE CAPITALIST COLLECTIVE UNCONSCIOUS

VIDEO GAMES IN THE 90S AND EARLY 2000S WERE IN THE EARLY COLONIZING PHASE, SO IT WAS MOSTLY PRODUCERS GIVING DEVELOPERS FREE REIN, ONLY INDIRECTLY LIMITING THEM

BUT ONCE ENOUGH OBSERVATION OF THE "INTERNALS" OF GAME DEVELOPMENT HAD BEEN MADE, THEY COULD DESIGN EVERYTHING BY COMMITTEE, NO MORE RISKS, EVERYTHING DONE BY FOCUS GROUP AND THE-WAY-IT'S-SUPPOSED-TO-BE-DONE, SIMILAR TO HEIDEGGER'S DAS MAN

CHARISMA DIES

GENIUS IS ATOMISED AND ENSLAVED, NOT ALLOWED TO GATHER AND DEVELOP IN UNIQUE CLUMPS WITH THE NECESSARY UNORTHODOXY TO PUSH MEDIA AND HUMANITY FORWARD, RATHER IT IS SIMPLY PARCELLED OUT AND INJECTED INTO DERIVATIVE PROJECTS
>>
>>29302273
ALSO READ ADORNO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_W._Adorno#Music
>>
>>29300199
LISA the painful is a really underrated indie game in my opinion
>>
>>29300031
Undertake igood if you're into the RPG genre
>>
>>29301275
gameplay sometimes kinda boring but the bosses are really cool and the game is good at breaking fourth wall. nothing incredible in my opinion but i liked it
>>
>>29302424
That game is so good, sadly the fanbase got ruined by fucking tumblr
>>
>>29302424
> search for "igood"
> no matches
> search for "undertake"
> no matches
> see tumblr reference
> undertale

Fuck you learn to type.
>>
>>29301273
I have Hearts of Iron III. Do you ever figure the game out or is it really difficult no matter how much you play?
>>
I just finished Parasite Eve 2 for the first time and it was fucking awesome.

Games went down the toilet after 2005
>>
>>29300922
Highly underrated

Fbdbebdndn
>>
>>29300949
Again, top tier insight

>globalism FTW!
>>
>>29302609
Like any Paradox game it takes time to get used to, but the learning curve isn't impossible. Don't worry.
>>
>>29301221
How do you procur an emulator? I want one for my 360 to play original Xbox games
>>
>>29302273
It would be easier to buy what you're selling if it weren't in all caps.
>>
We need another crash, just let gaming die for 2-3 years and rebirth.

It worked for the 80s and late 90s it'll work again. Allow new ideas to come.
>>
>>29301211
Played a lot of tekken 3 when I was around 6
>>
>>29302273
Spot on. I agree 100%.
>>
>>29302814

Google. Xbox emulators don't exist though, so if you want xbox exclusives, buy one. Modchip it if you want to pirate, won't cost much with a used console.
>>
>Lack of imagination
>Indie devs lacking budget/talent
>Casuals aka "I'm-too-fucking-lazy-to-git-gud-so-water-the-experience-for-everyone"
>Retards who keep throwing money at niggershills like EA - "JUST DAY 1 DLC MY SHIT UP"
>Faggot normies want to turn games into social experiences, so most of the focus is shifted to multiplayer
>Libruls shitting up companies and games with their "womyn stronk!" "muh diversity!" "muh political correctness!" bullshit, pussifying everything
>You're just getting old
>>
>>29303052
GameStop still sells original consoles don't they?
>>
>>29303116
Or is the world just getting gayer..
>>
I wish i was a kid to enjoy again awesome games like:

-Heroes of Might and Magic III & IV
-Baldurs Gate 2
-Age of Mithology
-FInal Fantasy IX

What have i become?
>>
The new Zelda game looks fucking awesome
>>
>>29303116
>Libruls shitting up companies and games with their "womyn stronk!" "muh diversity!" "muh political correctness!" bullshit, pussifying everything

You millennial faggots are insufferably retarded. History lesson: Far-right groups and soccer moms have always been the most vocal media critics in the U.S. Video game censorship has always boiled down to making games, movies, television series, or what-have-you that would offend parents the least.

It wasn't until recently that (non-indie) developers experimented with the idea of having LGBT characters or options in video games. Although said characters likely existed in Japanese-developed games, they were frequently the subject of censorship in the West thanks to Nintendo and the ESRB primarily. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_film_is_not_yet_rated#Interviews
>The film discusses disparities the filmmaker sees in ratings and feedback: between Hollywood and independent films, between homosexual and heterosexual sexual situations, between male and female sexual depictions, and between violence and sexual content.

This applies just as much to the video game industry with the ESRB's equivalence to the MPAA. If you want to debate the subject further, I can pull up specific examples of where the ESRB has overstepped its bounds in rating up games simply for the inclusion of LGBT characters or content, even though no such content carried a mature context.
>>
>>29300031
Some indie games are good, a lot of them are just as bad as AAA titles being made for profit.

Did you ever hear of the 1983 video game crash? It's not like gaming was perfect before, and there are still a lot of good games being made. You just have so much to look through now, thousands of titles on a website instead of going up and down aisles in a store. You also probably pirate video games, giving you access to more than you could want and also the best, skewing your perspective.

Some people think of video games as art, even the gameplay can be considered an artform. Some people will only consider it a job, and try to earn as much as possible. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to enjoy mindless, simple video games even if we don't like them.
>>
>>29303553
someone inbetween childhood and adulthood
>>
>>29302370
Doesn't it have like a 90% rating?
>>
File: Rocket_League_coverart[1].jpg (299 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Rocket_League_coverart[1].jpg
299 KB, 1024x1024
PLAY ROCKET LEAGUE

JUST

PLAY

IT

Seriously it's one of very few games I've legitimately enjoyed every minute of
>>
i like bloodborne
>>
>>29303826
idk got really stale after 30h
before the 30h was over though, that shit was so enjoyable
>>
>>29300031
>Is indie development truly the future of the industry?

Pretty much. Investment by the people into indie games that take risks can show the AAA capitalists that taking risks on new and interesting ideas is worthwhile.

However, the issue is that there would need to be a corresponding drop in the purchase of current AAA titles to force those capitalists to take risks rather than rely on safe titles; even if one of them steps out on a limb and makes a big hit, the rest will probably dismiss it as a fluke and continue on with what they're doing. And it won't be the case that AAA titles will die off because most people still guzzle too much marketing to even consider not buying that kind of shit.

I think there's really no chance of significant change until the current class of executives who don't understand video games in an intrinsic way retire and a new class of executives that grew up with games replaces them. The major problem with how funding gets distributed is that the executives have almost no understanding of the products they're selling and as such they have no rational grounding from which to take calculated risks. They're blind, essentially. When the sighted take over, that's when things can get better. Until then, people who want to try new things will have to get funding directly from people who do have a rational grounding for calculated risks; other gamers, via crowdfunding. And if some of those people get big enough they may start running their own companies, jumpstarting the turnover.
>>
>>29303924
Coming up on 400h here. I've never played something quite so satisfying
>>
They have to appeal to a larger audience. Thats one factor.
One big thing is trying something "new" while completely failing at. Take Bethesdas games for example. Look at the elder scrolls series.
Morrowind had an interesting alien world full of interesting and unique things. Nice classic story and so on.
Oblivion had better graphics, it also tried the whole radiant AI thing and all this. lots of focus went into that and because of that they completely fucked up the whole world. A boring copypaste place with lots of cut down features.
Skyrim, magic was "streamlined", in other words dumbed down so that they dont have to put any focus and or effort into that. They also dont want to create things that will make players feel "left out".
A robust skilltree, proper rpg elements and so on will mean that your average joe will "miss out" on being a wizard, will miss out on being an alchemist if he likes swords. So they give him everything, nothing is well fleshed out or interesting, but you can do everything. You can be a fire casting warrior alchemist illusionist sneak barbarian and not miss out a thing.
Same applies when you compare new vegas to fallout 4. NV was made by better, smarter people though.
>>
>>29303942
holy fucking moly how do you not get tired of the game
>>
>>29303826
Played it for like 5 hours, it got really boring. Even with one online friend, it was just lame. You cant make football interesting no matter what.
>>
>>29303654
Implicit gays (the effeminate males like Frieza) have been characters in fiction forever.

They are always villains because, without progeny, gays have no stake in the future. They are nihilistic hedonists who "reproduce" by dragging others down into their degeneracy like vampires. Gays have always been represented and are necessarily villainous because they are by nature barren and doomed and concerned only with pleasure and spreading their barrenness.
>>
>>29303116
Damn nigger. 100% accuracy - the post
>>
Idk, man replay fallout 1 and 2 to feel better.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.