[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I create art without cringing at it a day later?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 7
File: Angry+feels.jpg (63 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
Angry+feels.jpg
63 KB, 633x758
How can I create art without cringing at it a day later?
>>
>>29297248
If you think your artwork is perfect then you cant recognize art at all, to be an artist you must be capable of intricately analyzing every single detail in a picture to a ludicrous levels meaning no art can ever be perfect and if you think your painting is shit then you are a terrible artist.
>>
>how

make the art
finish the art
tear it up
start again on a new piece
repeat as necessary

you don't have to keep it, making it is fine
>>
>>29297323
This, eventually you'll create something you think is worth keeping, until then just toss the failures after you figure out what is wrong with them.
>>
>>29297248
destroy it immediately after making it. its pointless anyway and pride is a ruiner
>>
If it takes you less than a day to make it then it's shit.

Real serious drawings take at least a week.
>>
>>29297888
no :)

a good gestural sketch can be done in seconds

if you don't understand what you're seeing and trying to describe, it doesn't matter how long you overwork details and rendering.
>>
File: 1454717748651.png (211 KB, 631x820) Image search: [Google]
1454717748651.png
211 KB, 631x820
>think drawing looks good
>show everyone it
>looks autistic, cringy, and embarrassing
>get pats on the back because everyone knows I'm pathetic
>pretend that I only spent an hour sketching it real fast
>actually spent 20 hours
>>
>>29298478
drawing and sharing for desperate approval
is very different than drawing for yourself
because you are compelled to make

hitler couldn't handle getting btfo over his shitty watercolor paintings, his butthurt ruined the 20th century for most of the planet.

if you make art for yourself, you'll never be disappointed.
>>
>>29298623
Actually I was making the art for myself, I was drawing things that I wanted to see and then I said fuck it and showed people it "as a laugh" but they laughed so I got what I wanted anyway. They look like they were drawn by an autist on MS paint but they've helped me sleep.
>>
>>29297248
Refrain from drawing under the influence of LSD.

Just kidding; the damage that 'psychedelics' wreak to artistic taste is permanent, and experience shows that druggies hold their nauseating, winding doodles as masterpieces infinitely.
>>
>>29297248
By burning it that night. It's the ride not the destination.

I draw as a form of meditation and to bust stress not to have a drawing know one would want.

I mostly draw as a study aid to keep my mind at bay while i listen to audiobooks.
>>
As a fellow artist, all I have to say is, you just gotta grit your teeth and power through it.
Keep all of your work, no matter how bad you may think it is.
Over time, if you truly apply yourself, you can look back at it, and see those pieces as stepping stones to where you are now.
>>
>>29297248
By having refined senses and not sucking?
>>
>>29297323
>>29297359
>>29298686
>>29298719
There are few things that make me as intrinsically sick as people who consider 'just practice more' valid advice.

It is the most detestable, lazy, cowardly, injust, unethical manner of rejecting responsibility for helping someone possible.
>>
>>29298768
I mean, rather than giving advice on shapes of composition, colour combinations, techniques of application, abstraction, contrast, neuroaesthetic studies, sequences of perception as one approaches the drawing, whatever, I'm not an artist... people just arrogantly dismiss people with 'try harder'. It's obnoxious.
>>
>>29298768

haha, no please, tell me more

>implying you know what aesthetic works and comes most naturally to OP because art is subjective

>implying you can give objective advice on technique without knowing this
>>
>>29298798

>arrogant to suggest OP find his own vision
>not arrogant to start piling on arbitrary rules for beauty for him to force himself into
>>
>>29297248

practice a trillion times over. that's the only way.
>>
>>29298816
Art is not subjective, you cretin abysmal. Perception of beauty is a direct byproduct of evolution and is as hard-wired as few things. And even the cultural component -- emulating particular styles -- is highly objective as well. Good job continuing to refuse responsibility for helping people, though.
>>
Don't look at it a day later.

What kind of art do you make anyway OP? I write personally, sometimes prose, sometimes poems, sometimes just insane ramblings.
>>
>>29298768
except that it is completely fucking true, which if you had any skills, you would know.
>>
>>29298838

Yep, anybody who tells you different is trying to sell you something.

>how to books
>art school
>narrow aesthetics
>the lingering spectre of the Renaissance
>>
>>29298768
wow, you sound a little mad
I'm not responsible for helping anybody else out, I just wanted to post something nice to hopefully inspire the guy.
Honestly, since aesthetics are subjective, there really is not much I can do outside of hovering over your shoulder (which is not possible over the internet) to give you live feedback on your work. You're the one who decides whether your work looks great or not. In Chris-Chan's head, Sonichu is a great work of art.

I can say, if your goal is to get better at realistic drawing, you can force yourself to do quick exercises.
Short gestural sketches. Maybe give yourself an arbitrary time limit. A former art teacher of mine would always have us do blind contour drawings, where you cover up your hand while you're working so you can only look at what you're drawing. I thought it was annoying and it almost always comes out looking like crap, but it's supposed to help develop your attention to detail on things like curves.
>>
>>29298845

Good job refusing responsibility to determine what your own hardwiring tells you is beautiful and instead wanting other people to tell you what works for them.

Please do go on, instead of complaining, give OP some of these solid objective truth about better making art that doesn't involve simply "Practice"

If you claim to know better and you aren't helping OP then who's the one refusing responsibility?
>>
>>29298838
>>29298851
>>29298861
If someone asked me how to get better, I would look up reviews of best textbooks on Amazon and elsewhere, consider visual properties of media such as reflectiveness or texture, consider dimensional factors such as angles and proportions of lengths, consider ways in which circular vs linear shapes elicit emotions, consider financial feasibility of learning particular media... I would do everything than to flip someone off with 'practice harder' and then have a fucking giggle.

Because I try to have the basic minimum of respect towards someone who turns to me to help.
>>
>>29298901
>give OP some of these solid objective truth about better making art

I did that in two posts already (to the best of my highly limited knowledge), and that's better than

While you remain a slimy, lazy coward who hides behind existence of minimal individual differences in artistic taste so to obscure the obvious reality of general rules of human perception of art -- convincing no one -- so to be able to comfortably deny responsibility to unearth those rules and to educate OP.
>>
File: LiHill1.jpg (165 KB, 721x483) Image search: [Google]
LiHill1.jpg
165 KB, 721x483
>>29298768
Cry more you fucking fag. I didn't say practice more I said live life to enjoy what you're doing not in the pursuit of having things.

I'm not an artist, I draw when I'm stressed but I don't care about the skill but I am a fencer and not being the best around drives me mad.

I was spamming away, reading everything to try and find out how to get good, how to get better. Then my instructor took me under his wing with private sessions were we just sparred slowly, no pressure just for fun. Just to hang out and I dropped all the stressing and just had fun went back to enjoying it and I got better than I ever expected by accident. Next time i was sparring I was still having fun. Winning didn't matter anymore and it came by accident.

Practice is great but having fun with what you're doing is more important.

Laugh at my fag ass story but my point is documented psychology.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
>>
>>29298950
I have never drawn anything even close to decent, but my best doodles were invariably the product of arduous hypothesizing which line would most improve the drawing, drawing it, realizing it sucks ass, undoing, more hard thinking and hard imagination, drawing it, realizing it was misplaced, undoing it... hundreds of times on end. It was literally painstaking. Your bullshit 'flow' is a tautology truly worthy of the descriptor 'psychological': 'hurrrr art only comes out when you focus on nothing but doing the art'. Crawl back to your psychology department, you equivocating, manipulative moron. You connote that 'just having fun' is enough to get better, and when your necessary/sufficient error is pointed out, you meaninglessly back out of your connotative manipulation, indended to keep people from learning the hard objective techniques of making your art objectively better (and, in extension, from expecting YOU to teach those techniques), and insist on your 'no no no what I meant is that art can only emerge when the state of complete holistic dedication towards the creative process is achieved' vague crap.

You are filth.
>>
>>29299063
>>29298950
In other words, the more I enjoy something, the more guaranteed I am never to improve at it.
>>
>>29299063
Jesus Christ you are a fucking retard. I'll break it down even further for you if you can stop alliterating walls of text for a second.

Stop fucking caring.

You are shit at drawing and /r9k/ can't help. Keep at it until you get good.

Watch a speed painter/sketcher on Youtube and copy what they do.

>I have never drawn anything even close to decent, but my best doodles were invariably the product of arduous hypothesizing which line would most improve the drawing, drawing it, realizing it sucks ass, undoing, more hard thinking and hard imagination, drawing it, realizing it was misplaced, undoing it... hundreds of times on end.
Here you undermine your argument in the quoted post entirely. You think too much and do too little. If you stop caring your more likely to draw something good by accident.
>>
>>29298869
>live feedback on your work

You would give precisely zero feedback.

'Practice more', 'exercise more', 'keep it up', 'don't give up', 'continue', 'carry on', 'draw more', ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... are synonyms, and lazy scum like yourself have become far too accustomed to give up the smug comfort of dismissing people with it.
>>
>>29299063
It is true, you have to know the mechanics of art such as smooth strokes, shading, anatomy, wrinkles in order to do it. I'm not him but I pretty much learned what I know from doing shit over and over and looking at other people's art and seeing what I could do similar. I always do overly ambitious shit and it looks extremely shitty but I'm slowly learning from my mistakes. "Flow" does come out when you're able to use all these techniques when you have them and drawing with your hand, but I can't because I can't scan papers so I have to use a trackpad which makes everything infinitely more difficult. This is just what I've learned from making autistic drawings of my momfu.
>>
>>29299167
>You think too much and do too little. If you stop caring your more likely to draw something good by accident.

This is literally objectively false. When I give up hard, computative thinking, crap ensues. When I sequentially imagine the future drawing line by line, chances -- sure slim -- are I will make something worthwhile.

I fully understand why you're trying to degenerate my drive to do my best though.
>>
>all these fucking retards ITT
Just let it sit for a few months without looking at it.
After some time has passed you can decide if something you made is good or trash.
>>
>>29298768
What the fuck else could you possibly do? Skills need to be honed, you can't just conjure up innate ability out of nothing, it's a fairly lengthy process of trial and error unless you're some kind of prodigy. There's nothing shameful about practice, every great artist was shit at some point, every great programmer was once confounded by something simple, every great musician once struggled to play a single chord.

Every worthwhile skill takes work, you need to accept that or you will never become competent, you will be shit forever because you will refuse to practice, you will refuse to fail and thus refuse to learn and improve.
>>
>>29299170
Dude you're being a fucking faggot with a bad attitude.
You want other people to deliver you some secret formula or step by step method that will magically increase your artistic skill overnight.
It doesn't work that way. Improvement takes suffering and self-criticism and much cringing. Too bad.

Now go do 5 blind contour drawings. Observe something, and attempt to draw its outline and contours without looking at your hand.
>>
>>29299179
>"Flow"

is a despicable Buddhist concept *designed* to ambiguously connote 'don't think, don't think, let go, don't learn, don't learn, don't study, don't study, don't study', so to impair people's drive to achieve and improve, to learn particular techniques and styles and solutions, and, as soon as that is pointed out, justify the implausible, worthless, tautological defence that 'oh no no what I meant is simply that best results come out when you're fully focused of the task at hand'. It is the manipulation of a coward who is too lazy to improve himself, so he feels the need to keep everyone else down at his level as well.
>>
>>29299278
>>29299284
Typical. You blame people asking for help, people who want to improve, to get better, to learn, to know more, as lazy -- you accuse them of *not* wanting to improve.

You are like teachers who, asked how to get better at math, would just yell at the kid to STUDY HARDER YOU LITTLE SHIT.
>>
>>29299350
>>29299284 >>29299315
Incidentally, I have never asked ANYONE for help with drawing -- or music -- or programming -- or writing -- or learning a language. Not ever. I looked everything up myself. I just can't stand such insufferable, smug little fuckers like yourself gleefully ridicule people who do choose to do so by calling them what you actually are yourself.
>>
Make comics, it's like over 10 pages to practice on.
Draw in pencil.
>>
File: 1382070261353.jpg (153 KB, 590x417) Image search: [Google]
1382070261353.jpg
153 KB, 590x417
>draw picture
>look at it in approval for 5 minutes
>pick it apart
>throw it away in frustration
>go to art sites
>see shit that makes me jealous, inspires me, etc.
>get back on the desk
>see top of the post
I'll never be happy with the result, but for some reason, I just WANT to create something.
>>
>>29299350
>>29299385
You just sound like a soft cunt who can't take criticism.

I am saying failure is a good thing, failure helps you learn. And I never said you need the approval of others in order to succeed, but you NEED to have the ability to self-evaluate, you need to be able to look at something you created and say "that's shit", or else you'll be like all those thousands of shitty DeviantArt kids who draw the same terrible garbage for years and years without improving. This is why acknowledging your faults is not only a good thing but 100% necessary for becoming a good artist, and also why practice is 100% necessary, because you will never know what your weaknesses are if you don't actually draw and find out for yourself.

Your viewpoint is fucking deluded and will only harm aspiring artists thinking that if they are shit they will always be shit, that they are lacking some integral piece of information that will transform them into a great artist, or something stupid like worrying about their pencil not being the right brand.

You could read all the books about programming in the world but you will never be able to become great unless you actually practice, experiment and ultimately fail many, many times. It's easy to be unskilled but knowledgeable, it's difficult to actually be talented.
>>
>>29298950
>Practice is great but having fun with what you're doing is more important.
This man preaches the truth.
The only reason you practice is to have more fun doing your work.

>>29299278
>every great musician once struggled to play a single chord.
This too. I wouldn't say i'm a great musician, but i've played guitar for 8 years and over that time i've crossed many milestones where i thought "oh, cannot reach that horizon" until i did. One of my very first where "Maybe my fingers just can't grip a C chord?". Well that turned out to be false.
So now whenever i come across something that seems daunting i just think "well maybe i can do it if i just put the time in".
>>
>>29298768
>this nigga again
Just piss of already
>>
>>29299558
>I am saying failure is a good thing, failure helps you learn.

No.

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E makes you learn.

COMPETENCE makes you learn.

FACTS make you learn.

Failures are undesirable by definition, and what you are here hoping to accomplish -- the utterly ineffectual confusion of 'failures are an inevitable part of getting better, therefore failures are good' -- is in the most basic, lowliest of senses to hammer a sense of acceptance of failure so that other people are as much of a loser as you are, so that you feel better in comparison.

It literally makes me sick to my stomach, I have never tolerated this, and never will.
>>
dont throw it away
just put it in a closet
year later you'll decde to look through all the old art pieces and out of all the crap you might like a few
>>
>>29298861
>art school
>implying you can teach art
oh boy
>>
>>29298686
>By burning it that night. It's the ride not the destination.
Can you fuck off with this shit? It's a dishonest exaggeration of what making art actually is and none of you fuckers follow it 100% anyway.

I make things because i like making them, but i also like looking at what i've created. Sharing them with others isn't too bad either, though it only lasts for a while.

"Burn what you've created", is this what a craft is to you? It's not right and it's too romantic.
>>
>>29299648
Do you get better at driving by reading a book?

Do you get better at speaking languages by reading how to speak them?

Do you think you learn to shoot a gun more accurately by reading books?

Do you seriously think that the human mind, being capable of picking skills, does not benefit from mechanical application?
>>
>>29299745
>Do you get better at speaking languages by reading how to speak them?
actually yes
>>
>>29299745
Do you actually believe that watching "film" will get you better at basketball?
Oh wait it does your whole post is silly
>>
>>29299745
I honestly don't understand the lengths to which people will pretend to be retarded.

OBVIOUSLY practice is 'necessary' blahblah.

EVEN MORE OBVIOUSLY, you little globs of slime rely on that so to reject responsibility to teach the difference between an interrogative pronoun and a relative pronoun, the chemistry of the bonds involved in combustion engine, or the production process of a gun barrell as affects exit velocity. For drowning out the necessity to learn and to teach hard knowledge, which is necessary for competence, 'practicepracticepractice!!!' is perfect.
>>
If you're drawing digitally (it's [CURRENT YEAR], you should be doing this), bind a flip command to one of your keys and start flipping horizontally. It will trick your brain into seeing it the first time and you'll be much better at spotting what looks off.
>>
>>29299648
>It literally makes me sick to my stomach, I have never tolerated this, and never will.
I hope you'll be satisfied forever being a terrible artists, unwilling or unable to self-evaluate. All the books in the world won't make you a great artist if you refuse to practice, that is just how it works, and no amount of bitching is going to warp reality to fit your delusions.
>>
>>29299648
Also, competence is having learned something. Knowledge is the result of learning. Facts need to be learned.

Failures are NOT undesirable by definition. Failures are necessary. Do you think that your arts perfect? Because it isnt. Theres going to be miniscule imperfections -- miniature failures. Being able to recognize them is GOOD. Stop being retarded. People have literally written books about practice and its benefits.
>>
>>29299802
As long as all meaningful discourse is drowned in the unending sludge of 'PRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICE', nothing will ever get conveyed, communicated, learned.

Which is exactly what you want to achieve.
>>
>>29299791
Obviously you need knowledge to be great, this is so fucking obvious I never even thought it needed mentioning, but knowledge alone is worthless and you know it, you're being obtuse.
>>
>>29299648
It depends on what you mean by failure. In art, you're expected to draw literally thousands of hours without producing anything worthwhile before you can churn out something that's decent. Those thousands of hours should be spent collecting knowledge, competence and learning facts. You need to also take the time necessary to apply these in practice and you should not expect to get everything immediately just because you have the necessary knowledge. Practice makes perfect and you need to learn why you fuck up before you learn from it and stop fucking up.
>>
>>29299827
>Which is exactly what you want to achieve.
I want people to know that failing is not cause to give up, that's it. Too many people (like you) expect to be perfect right out of the gate, and are then crushed when they discover that all their studying has amounted in nothing because they refused to ever practice.

Being shit is normal for a beginner, to suggest otherwise is fucking retarded.
>>
>>29299779
Yup. Thats why professional basketball players have both film sessions and practice. Obviously both are necessary.

>>29299791
Alright cool, go buy some books at gunsmithing and become the next American Sniper. You can do it son, we all believe in you
>>
>>29299878
You're only making your position in this argument look worse.
>>
>>29299889
>Too many people (like you) expect to be perfect right out of the gate
>>29299889
>to suggest otherwise is fucking retarded

Ah, wait. You are actually talking to your psychosis making you convinced that I said something, and not with what I actually said. I apologize sincerely for assuming any sort of grasp on the discussion on your part.
>>
>>29299648
In just about anything, actual hands on experience counts more than anything communicated through other people. Experience means risking vulnerability. You're afraid to get hurt.

You're a crybaby having a prissy little hissy fit on an anonymous imageboard because anonyous strangers won't hold your hand every step of the way. It's practically the same thing tumblr SJWs do.
>>
>>29299911
You are the one exploding in incoherent rage every second post dude.
>>
>>29299927
You know, reading posts like this -- relying on knee-jerk cookie-cutter uncomprehending assumptions to such a degree -- really makes it easier to believe in that solipsistic meme that I'm the only poster on 4chan and you all are just a badly-written posting AI.
>>
>>29299947
The more you post the more aware I am becoming that you are probably still in high school, or at least a complete manchild.
>>
>>29299981
Your insults would get a lot better and punchier if you only practiced more.
>>
>>29299813
>Do you think that your arts perfect?

I have destroyed 99.5% of all 'art' I've ever done.
>>
>>29299558
I think it's better to rephrase failure as experience. You need a lot of experience.
When you're doing something you will face many small roadblocks along the way. Like how to generalize data and functions in a program, or how to find the right instruments for a song arrangement. The more you do these the more you'll grow and the quicker you'll be able to solve them the next time. This is what "practice" means. This is what experience means.

There's nothing inspiring about going out and failing, but i do see your point. What IS inspiring however is to go out and make simple things (within your skill level) that you find very interesting or cool.
>>
>>29300060
The point is that for every poster explaining class reuse (e.g., to refer to an analogy I recently noticed, to reuse a Crossword class to solve a 2D puzzle), or some sort of passing parametres by reference, or grouping configuration in an array, or operator overloading, or WHATEVER I'M NOT A FUCKING PROGRAMMER, there will be tens of thousands of posters poisoning the discourse with 'just program more programming is all about practice'.
>>
>>29300032
All that shit I wrote and you focus on like 5 words? You understand Im writing that for your benefit, right? All these peopld disagreeing with you would actually like for you to soak up some information instead of being so incredibly confrontational and taking shit so personally.

Heres my last attempt to actually get through to you:

http://m.nautil.us/issue/35/boundaries/not-all-practice-makes-perfect
>>
>>29297248
Tbh mate art is one of them things ,you either have it or you don't. There is no point listening to the people telling you 'pratice moar XD' because that is like telling a 5'4 bloke to keep practicing and he can play in the NBA one day.

I am the same with music, tried to get good but just not born with the talent so had to quit. Will probably kill myself though and maybe I can come back as someone with higher stats in creativity and arts skills.
>>
>>29300124
I don't seek any advice, you cretin, because I knew for ever that I will never become good at anything. I am speaking on behalf of every student that's actually promising whom you insult with your 'just practice!!!' as though he hadn't been doing just that.
>>
just bee yourself

is this original enough for you fun killing mods
>>
>>29300124
Also, that article teaches mathematically zero things and poisons the discourse as well, by rambling about 'smart learning is better than stupid learning'. Its shitter-out should kill himself (or, more likely, herself).
>>
>>29300107
Thats your point? A hyperbolic response that sounds kind of stupid in response to a knowledge-based question? In taking this road -- of arguijg against people who supposedly say "just practice more" (which I still dont think is bad advice in regards to developing a concrete skill, since good practice is reflective and knowledge-driven) youve essentially put yourself in a position where youre discounting practice altogether and arguing against a stance that nobody actually holds.
>>
>>29300240
If someone wants to learn a skill, they should configure their firewall to block all HTTP responses containing the string 'practice'.
>>
>>29300153
Okay cool, shouldve said this earlier so I didnt have to waste my time. It's kind of disappointing really, that you look at an article and just throw it out without having read it, assuming that the psychology prof that wrote it is just retarded.
>>
>>29300240
To be fair mate, he has a point. When people who are good at something like music or art say 'just practice more bro' it is a bit of a piss take, as like I said in my post ITT you are either born with it or you or not. The people who are good at it should at least have the bollocks to tell him to give it up because it is never going to happen for him as he simply is not made of the right stuff.
>>
>>29300262
>>29300240
And if I had a kid, I would never utter the word 'practice' or 'effort' or 'motivation' in his presence either.

Of course, considering that literally every human being he would meet would do just that, that would be in vain, so I would better not have a child even if I could.
>>
Keep going.

When you cringe at something, set it aside and return to it later. Remember what made you cringe at it and don't do that again.

Work hard and keep changing.
>>
>>29300282
Thats not necessarily true, though. In 99% of fields, the professionals today are way better than the professionals of the distant past. Its not a coincidence. We're able to practice more efficiently, and better. I dont take practice to be a repetitive and purely mechanical activity, by the way, but something thats done with 100% focus and with conscious effort paid to areas of improvement.
>>
>>29300299
(Because the best motivation is by provoking curiosity. To make a child curious, -- excepting good genes -- required is demonstration. 'Did you know that,' off the top of my head, 'the physics of paper airplanes... that vacuum doesn't actually... that pair of numbers... that you can edit the browser... that artificial intelligence will replace... that suicide by hydration... that parentheses and affixes... that what-fucking-ever... ...?'. Not vapid, dismissive 'you should follow your passions' or 'remember to do your best'.)
>>
>>29300299
I think if you had a kid you'd be better off lobotomizing him (not her, since no way your off-spring could ever be female, right?) than trying to teach them anything about being good. After all, you said youre not good at anything, so what kind of knowledge would you possibly have to offer?
>>
>>29300373
(In fact, I would take utmost care never to draw the attention of my son or daughter to his own thinking or emotions or motivation. I feel hopeless to remember that some parents expose their children to 'mindfulness' 'meditation'.)
>>
>>29300359
This is of course true. But the professionals of the past were just as naturally talented as the professionals of today, the difference being modern professionals are able to excel even further with modern science, understanding and training techniques.

My point about OP is that he seems to be indicating that he lacks that basic talent, and without that he can practice until the cows come home, but he is still not going to be as good as a naturally talented person who practices casually.
>>
>>29300473
>he is still not going to be as good as a naturally talented person who practices casually

Here anon, I'm going to insult you so that the friendly helpful motivators in this thread don't have to.

YOU'RE LAZY
YOU WANT TO KEEP PEOPLE DOWN
NO ONE SAYS HE'S GOING TO BECOME THE NEXT PICASSO
YOU'RE PATHETIC
YOU WANT TO GET BETTER WITHOUT PRACTICING
YOU WANT TO GET AWAY WITHOUT PRACTICE
NO ONE SAID IT'S GOING TO BE EASY
CHEATER

Am I doing it right?
>>
Save your art for at least a month. Then go back to it.
>>
>>29299813
>Failures are NOT undesirable by definition. Failures are necessary.

The point is that you are endlessly restating this logical abortion, 'failures are an element of a learning process (bullshit, BTW), therefore failures are good', so to get people to accept their shortcomings, so that they try less, so that you look less shit in comparison. You are presenting your cravenly manipulation as concern, and this is repulsive.
>>
>>29300107
Look mate you are clouded by your anger, though you're partly right. There can indeed be some arrogancy in saying "dude just practice more", but at the same time how can you say that to gain experience is invalid advice?
Now i know you're gonna say that we should give "real" advice with knowledge and information, but there is nothing technical to talk about because the asker asked a very broad, general question.
Because he asked a broad question like "how do i make good art?", then the only answers he can get will be general answers about making art. And the most important(!) general advice one can give with art is: You need to make a lot of art, you need a lot of experience. That is why there's like 5 people here including me recommending that, because there's little personal information to work with.

It's great that you gave examples on programming, because in this site called stackoverflow there's thousands of great examples of pure knowledge exchange. A person asking a specific technical question, and receiving a specific technical answer.

Here, a guy asked a specific question: which is faster, the stack or the heap?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/161053/which-is-faster-stack-allocation-or-heap-allocation?rq=1
He receives short specific answers.

Here, a guy is asking a more broad question about multiplayer programming:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1411745/multiplayer-game-synchronization?rq=1
He receives some long answers with examples, is told that networking is very complex, and is referred to some other articles because it's such a big topic.
>>
Stop calling what you make "art." It will be shit so just keep shitting.
>>
>>29300634
>at the same time how can you say that to gain experience is invalid advice

Because advice that is easy to shitspout effectively replaces advice that takes education, understanding, and precomposition.

We should set standards for a meaningful reply and 'it's all about practice' kills them.

>Because he asked a broad question like "how do i make good art?", then the only answers he can get will be general answers about making art. And the most important(!) general advice one can give with art is: You need to make a lot of art, you need a lot of experience.

Incorrect, you manipulative bag of filth. The proper advice would be (1) generalizing about the factors of perception of art that are common to our species/higher taxons/whatever, which is possible, and (2) assuming particular artistic interests of OP, particular things he's interested in, and addressing each of them in this thread, perhaps letting it become a kernel of a blog post on particular drawing/painting advice which you could publish on your blog, thus contributing to the pool of meaningful knowledge. But since you are an opportunistic fucker who's only on the lookout for places to peddle your PRACTICE, you won't acknowledge any of this.

You should be dead.
>>
File: 1465473862805.jpg (95 KB, 764x1024) Image search: [Google]
1465473862805.jpg
95 KB, 764x1024
>>29297248
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI23U7U2aUY

Probably one of the best responses I've ever seen about this exact question.
>>
>>29300722
>>29300634
In short, being asked a vague question does not justify giving vague answers -- because giving vague answers letigitimizes being vague in general. The only acceptable reply to a vague question is making use of the apparent freedom to select a specific subset of the subject, and describe it -- specifically. All that happened was you were given free reign re. what specific point to explain. You don't get to be vague too.
>>
>>29300845
For instance, if you're asked 'how does finance/the brain/the computer/light work', you don't get to reply 'it's a broad subject' or 'we still don't know a lot'. You only get to choose the starting point, e.g. whether to begin exposition of computing from math, or material physics, or historical background, or...
>>
File: 1461344925010.jpg (59 KB, 425x301) Image search: [Google]
1461344925010.jpg
59 KB, 425x301
>>29300722
You can try to understand or be angry forever. Do whatever is more comfortable for you, you dumb asshole.

>(1) generalizing about the factors of perception of art that are common to our species/higher taxons/whatever, which is possible
What the fuck does this even mean? Can you give a SINGLE example?
>(2) assuming particular artistic interests of OP, particular things he's interested in, and addressing each of them in this thread, perhaps letting it become a kernel of a blog post on particular drawing/painting advice which you could publish on your blog, thus contributing to the pool of meaningful knowledge
You're literally just describing what good advice is. What does it say about you, that you care more about dismissing other people's advice, than actually giving advice to the OP?
Why should we assume things about OP, and then recommend things on all those assumptions? What if we give the wrong answers to the wrong scenario?

Oh wait, that's the reason why you're such an angry cunt. It's cause you've been projecting your insecurities all along, to every single poster in this thread.
>>
>>29301015
Jesus Christ.

It's your genericity, it's how common it all is, that hurts most.

Yes. We're prewired to like certain contrasts, wavy or straight shapes, gradients, clean edges, tall objects, blah blah.

I gave more advice ITT than any of you.

You fundamentally misunderstand imageboards, by carrying over from face to face conversations (you normalshit) the impression that anonymous threads are still supposed to be accurate with respect to the actual physical person-behind-the-OP, forgetting that this is the Internet and that a thread can completely ignore OP's particular, actual issue and still be highly informative and valuable, as soon as the digressions are meaningful. So actually (not) helping OP means fuck all -- even if we misjudge, unintentionally or not, OP's needs, it's still worth it if our misjudged advice is general high quality advice.

It is so generic.
>>
>be making a game
>draw my own characters for it
>decide to share what i've done so far along with my working game
>some anon interjects that i should stop everything i'm doing and go study classical figure drawing before doing anything else
>calls my art shit with no critique

i mean, i wouldn't even call myself an artist. i just needed to draw for my game. it's like if you aren't a master you shouldn't create at all. i don't get these people
>>
>>29301263
>>29301015
(To make it painfully clear -- if OP said 'hey help me solve my relationship problem' and nothing more, it would be cretinic to stall the thread until (unless!) OP comes back and explains what exactly the problem was, because of some retarded notion of individual sanctity of individual thread's ownership to a particular OP. Holy shit.)
>>
>>29301263
>>29301341
You're going down a rabbit hole that you know doesn't make sense. In my experience, when someone lays more importance on his sub-arguments, that means he's trying to hide his main argument.

>Yes. We're prewired to like certain contrasts, wavy or straight shapes, gradients, clean edges, tall objects, blah blah.
blah, blah? I thought good advice was very important to you?
And no you've mostly shitposted and whined this entire thread instead of saying you what you really think, just look at this phenomenal post >>29299878

If someone made a thread just saying "hey help me solve my relationship problem" and nothing more, then that thread would die with only a few posts. It's not cretinic to ignore a thread with no thought invoking content, and posters aren't obliged to form a discussion out of thin air.

>It's your genericity, it's how common it all is, that hurts most.
That's your main point. Somehow all of this is hurting you. Stop pretending you're talking about anything else.
>>
>>29301689
Your confusion is actually so profound, it retains traces of hilarity, so I will reply still.

Your first line is too vague to mean anything.

Your second line arbitrarily asserts that five examples are not enough.

Your classification of shitposting is 'no you're wrong'.

Your assertion of my disingenuity is premise-less.

Your misrepresentation of my position as that I object to *ignoring* a vague thread as opposed to *refusing to make opportunity out of a vague thread to develop it in certain specific ways* is simply awful.

Your dismissal of my points as implicit complaints is bizarre.
>>
>>29300282
>If you're not born good at it don't bother
That's a depressing way of looking at it and not at all true. Everything takes time and work... the difference between OP and artists his age is most started when they were a kid. They worked through the most discouraging, amateur phase when they were a kid.

When you learned to walk, did you give up when you fell? No, because toddlers don't wallow in self pity. You had a goal to accomplish and you kept stumbling until you mastered it. Likewise, being good at art is a long struggle filled with many obstacles.
>>
File: glitchtest.jpg (1 MB, 736x1104) Image search: [Google]
glitchtest.jpg
1 MB, 736x1104
>>29297248
Make process art.

Look up Sol Lewitt. Try some of his works.

Find other art movements that have been deconstructed into easy to follow steps such as vaporwave, glitch art, anime, etc. You don't have to be creative to make something you are proud of.

pic related, some simple glitch art I made. I am an architect. I love logical processes, not creative outlets.
>>
>>29302829
it is true

you can train as much as you like but you will never be as fast as usain bolt, it's physically impossible because you aren't built like him (lung size, heart, body proportions)
>>
>>29304068
great so do nothing
>>
>>29304068
Apex fallacy. Why would you compare yourself to the very best individual in the field... you don't need to be that good to be worthwhile or happy.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.