[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to write a short film to make with a friend and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160611_114005-1.jpg (469 KB, 1047x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_114005-1.jpg
469 KB, 1047x960
I'm trying to write a short film to make with a friend and have several concepts that I've come up with. It needs to be as low-budget as possible, and we'll be shooting on an iPhone and a Samsung s6.
Which of these ideas is best?

--Man gains the memories of people that he meets, but only while he maintains eye contact. Could be a good guy that turns bad, or evil to good, or whatever.

--person X comes into town and has the ability to switch bodies with someone. He switches with person A, who watches in horror as X takes away all his friends and makes new ones, all while being more charming and charismatic than A. Eventually A comes to the realization that people enjoy X much more than himself, and must decide how to proceed in life.

--main character is extremely angry with an acquaintance and wishes that he would disappear. It comes true, but only in his mind. His friends can all see the supposedly-vanished person, but the main character is going to take a lot of convincing that's hes not just unseeing things. Could also have other wishes granted and spiral out of control mentally.

--protagonist is tired with his life and on the way home decides to keep driving rather than turn into his neighborhood. Eventually, after about 30 minutes of driving straight, he comes back to the same turn. Either he keeps going, stuck in a loop, or turns to go home, only to find that his home is very different than what he's used to and that many things in the neighborhood have changed. He then repeats the loop only to find that each time, he enters a lookalike neighborhood filled with entirely different personalities and events.

Pic unrelated
>>
I'm just in the brainstorming and basic outlining stages now, so constructive criticism is more than welcome. I just need a little bit of input as to which idea to pursue.
>>
Help me boys. I don't know who else to ask right now.
>>
Plot A would be basically impossible on a low budget. Plot B seems the best bet of the four. By B I mean the body switch one.
>>
>>29294145
Thanks for the feedback, anon. I actually came up with that one after playing Super Hot
>>
I like the last one the most. If you can afford effects, you could make the hood grow progresivly bizzare and alien...maybe even grotesque.
>>
>>29294197
Game looks pretty cool. But yeah, I think that one would work pretty well because it's relatively simple and many could relate to it. The ending could be tricky though.
>>
>op has displayed his lack of ability to greentext
>>
>>29294223
>Faggot doesn't know that there is a world that exists outside of 4chan that doesn't require greentext
>Posts anyway
When will they learn
>>
--protagonist can change the liquid of anyone's drinks within a certain radius, but only when he is drinking himself. The radius is determined by the opening/size of the drinking hole in his drinking cup/bottle multiplied by 100.
>>
>>29294218
Theoretically I could change things like the lighting and colors and all they, and maybe have some practical effects and whatnot, but I don't have money for special effects. Thanks for your input though, anon.
>>
>>29294279
This is the most autistic superpower I've ever heard of. Please produce this, anon. The world needs it.
>>
>>29294221
Yeah, but there's a lot of room to try out different endings and make it more open-ended if possible, which I like.
>>
>>29294279
so he could make everyone drink his piss?
>>
I like these ideas anon. B, C and D all sound like Twilight Zone episodes.

With B, you should make the protagonist initially unlikeable. A real asshole and a bully. Then as he watches, disembodied he starts to reflect and learns what it is to be a good person and how the people that he thought cared for him, didn't actually like him much at all. Then maybe he decides to make a fresh start as X or he meets up with X in A's body and X let's him have his body back under the condition he doesn't fuck it up.
>>
>>29294333
If he was within 4-5 meters (something with an opening the size of a tea cup x100) then yes
>>
>>29294337
That makes me happy, because I really want a classic twilight zone vibe. It's the true patrician's choice of entertainment.
But I also want to have more depth if I do this one, and make A more likeable than not. Kind of a little bit like the main character in Frank. Likeable but definitely has negative qualities, and you don't realize til way later that he's not necessarily the good guy. And X is so likeable that you can't help but hate him. Basically it should make the viewer extremely conflicted.
>>
Wow, I saw this thread in the catalog and expected nothing but a shitfest of why OP is "autistic", etc but I thought wrong.
Didn't think anyone on 4chan was capable of being supportive.
>>
I like B, could make people think a lot about being a better person, not blaming stuff on their past, etc.

I wish I had people to film short films with, seems like a real fun thing to do. How did you get into it OP?
>>
>>29294391
Oh yeah. I love classic Twilight Zone.
What's great about it, is how much of the focus is on the story, the emotions, and interaction of the characters themselves rather than the effects. (But arguably a lot of those were incredibly well done too for its time. It's a good way to learn about how effective practical effects can be)

What I liked about it was that you never knew if a story would end well or not.
Assholes would get their just deserts but not always, even the nicest people could get fucked over by the end of the story. The show, despite its premise and how weird it was, was ironically pretty grounded in real life and that's what makes it timeless.

Anyone could watch it and get hooked into the stories. Even the cheesiest episode has an element of universality to it.
If you can capture that anon in your project then you are a real patrician.
>>
>shooting on an iPhone
>>
>>29294703
Maybe he's too poor for a entry level camera setup? Maybe he doesn't quite know what his options are?
I wouldn't discourage him. He at least has passion, and should go for it.
Then he can get some feedback from a community, and learn about cinematography, acting, directing, and improve.

Peter Jackson started from fucking nothing, made a bunch of small b-movies, and eventually ended up directing lord of the rings.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.