[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In Ancient Rome, people thought it was morally acceptable to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1464415982218.png (493 KB, 751x903) Image search: [Google]
1464415982218.png
493 KB, 751x903
In Ancient Rome, people thought it was morally acceptable to have people - often slaves - fight in a coliseum to the death. Often against each other, often against wild beasts.

How is it possible that humans could view something like this as ok? Today, we obviously see it as very morally wrong. But why would humans of the past see it as ok?
>>
>>29287720
things change

i think feminism is just as bad but we have it so, hey
>>
You know what? We should have prisoners fight in coliseums to the death instead of just sticking them in prison. It'll be both entertaining and benefit society.
>>
>>29287720
>why do people think differently from me?
You poor child.
>>
>>29287720
We kinda still do. We play games which feature things similar to that. Of course it's simulated and they aren't real people, but the fact that people today get entertainment from killing people is proof that, with a different upbringing, many people would love the coliseum.

I don't want to be viewed as "the video game hater lee cause of violence eggsdee" but Pokemon is a good example. If you've ever wanted to see two animals fight, it's kinda like that. If you don't value human life, who cares?
>>
>>29287720
it was basically an elaborate version of an execution. they usually didn't just send slaves in there to just get killed, many of them were criminals. slaves were money. stuff like nero sending christians into the colosseum to get rekt by lions was just a leader publically executing what they viewed as enemies of the state. wouldn't you like to see a bunch of isis members rounded up into a ring and eaten by fucking lions? who wouldn't want to see that?

this whole perception of gladiators always fighting to the death is wrong. gladiators cost a shit load of money and years of training, no one in their right mind would willingly throw them in a ring just to see them kill each other for shits and giggles. yes it happened, not as much as you'd think though
>>
>>29287720
The instincts that drove people to do things like that are still completely present, it just takes on a different shape. Violent films, games, music etc all exist to provide the same fix as the Romans had for real violence.
>>
>>29287899
I'd also add gladiators were like the professional athletes of today. They were mad famous and wealthy, and frequently had women lined up outside the coliseum after a fight waiting to fuck them.
>>
File: are you a new user.png (203 KB, 512x511) Image search: [Google]
are you a new user.png
203 KB, 512x511
>>29287720
>How is it possible that humans could view something like this as ok? Today, we obviously see it as very morally wrong.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
>>
>>29287945
i think the funniest thing i ever read about gladiators was that the men who owned the gladitors would bottle the gladiators sweat and sell it as an aphrodisiac. roman bitches loved their gladiator man musk.
>>
>>29287945
They were still different from regular athletes. Just like how someone like Floyd Mayweather or Conor Mcgregor is looked at much differently than say, a sprinter. Violence gave them a unique mystique beyond mere athleticism.
>>
>>29287899

i dont understand how a gladiator could be a gladiator

How does it feel right before they step in the arena? There's a good chance they will die in there. Are they really willing to lose their life for something like a little glory or money?
>>
>>29288231
Ok first of all, for most of human history, human life was meaningless. Death came quick, so people didn't feel like they had much to lose anyways.

Second, gladiator deaths were rare. They were highly trained and very expensive. They weren't just thrown away en masse.
>>
>>29287720
They didn't fight to the death unless it was a really important thing. Instead it was more like modern WWE. Just a big show.
>>
>>29288303
3rd, everyone believed in an afterlife.
>>
Just read The Better Angels of Our Nature, bro.
It's a damn fine book, and after it's precious 800-something pages you'll have it all figured out.
>>
>>29287746
>thinking feminism is just as bad as Romans having slaves pitfighting

i don't care if you hate feminism or not, that's stupid
>>
we live in an era where people will apologize to their aggressors in name of pollitically correctness and you still think Romans werr wrong?
>>
>>29287720
honestly I think I could find it okay to do today. I would love to see people fight to the death or try to survive a bear attack or something.

The only thing that would make me reconsider is if I was in the shitty situation of being the fighter. But lets say, you pay this persons family money, or there are high rewards and they risk it voluntarily, why not let it happen?
>>
>>29287720
Things arent that much different today.

Its at 0:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGp8324y2Bc
>>
>>29288231
>Are they really willing to lose their life for something like a little glory or money?

lmao. do you even human?
>>
Are we really that much different today?

Look at boxing. We love seeing people beat the shit out of each other. Yes, it's unfortunate when there are deaths, but we also want our favorite boxer to incapacitate the other boxer. It's like death, but without the committment.
>>
>>29288461

Yeah, feminism is actually infinitely worse.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.