[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mental Illness Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 20160606_120151.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160606_120151.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
ITT we discuss mental illness and ways to help improve our situations that aren't medication related.

I have borderline and schizoaffective disorder, and the following help me...

>exposing myself to multiple viewpoints
>meditation (focusing only on breathing for 10 straight minutes)
>forcing myself to smile
>hugging people
>snuggling with my parrot (pic related)
>creating music in FL Studio
>supplementing fish oil
>listen to music in places that would normally set my schizo off
>>
File: 20160512_102632.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160512_102632.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>29274835
Come on guys. It's time to wake up and shitpost!
>>
File: fortune.jpg (135 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
fortune.jpg
135 KB, 900x1200
>>29275095
pissodfseando[anmf[aweo'f
>>
>>29274835
I have bipolar disorder, the following helped me
>she
>time
>study I enjoy
>>
>>29274835
>>meditation (focusing only on breathing for 10 straight minutes)
I'm convinced this doesn't actually work. My mind just can't stop thinking and constantly reacting to information.
>>
>>29275368
Just focus really hard on your breathing. Being a schizo, my mind often races at 100mph, but I can still get it with practice.
>>
>>29275368
I should also add that the only goal of meditation is to calm down. I have managed to get my heart rate down to 30bpm.
>>
>>29275119
>
What did he mean by this?

Cyka
>>
>>29275555
I get that but I find that I can't just focus on breathing. My mind is always bouncing around sometimes even literally screaming. I don't know how to stop that.
>>
>>29275727
Start by thinking about the sensations. Think about how the air feels when you breathe it in and how your throat feels. Make sure to breathe in through your mouth and breathe out through your nose. It's called circular breathing. If you drink coffee or take amphetamines, then I would reccomend stopping those first.
>>
Hey OP. I've experienced a form of mental illness (technically still am). Without trying to sound arrogant, I'm a very wise person, and some of what you listed are literally some of the best ways to overcome mental illness, specifically:

>exposing myself to multiple viewpoints
>meditation
>forcing myself to smile
>hugging people
>snuggling with my parrot
>creativity (i.e. your music production)
>not paying it attention when it triggers (the listening of music)

However, stop supplementing fish oil. Despite the meme, turns out it's actually pretty damn bad for you. I've been researching nutrition for 3 years. Just down 1-4 raw eggs each day (or make a smoothie with them). Don't worry about salmonella either, unless your immune system is really bad.

Here's some more you should definitely add to the mix:
>mindfulness
>natural nutrition (the body is able to repair almost anything with the right resources)
>researching love/spirituality (read the small book "Ami: Child of The Stars"), deeply understanding it and applying it to your life (this one's huge)
>literally everything to do with nature (nature's food, being in nature, sunlight exposure, fresh air, breathing exercises)
>negative stimulus replaced with general positive stimulus

Good luck.
>>
>>29275727
That's literally the main obstacle to overcome with meditation, it's not a fault of yours only
>>
>>29274835
How do you get these fuckers to stop biting everything? Mine sits on my shoulder (and head), but he starts to bite on a mole
It's a lovebird, though. Maybe those are just retarded
>>
I haven't left the house in 3 weeks not even to shop, the new medication Iv been given is a absolute nightmare, I can't sleep and my thoughts are different.
I have adhd, anxiety, manic depressive episodes that have me in tears and suicidal.
I'm planning on organising an appointment for tomorrow to change my Meds.
>>
>>29274835
Does fish oil really help? I'm going to start taking folic acid to improve my short-term memory when I can get my hands on it.
>>
How do I get rid of my social anxiety? Sometimes it is so crippling I can't even think straight. I dont want to take drugs because I don't want to become an addict. There must be some way to get rid of it naturally because it will randomly go away by itself and those are the most wonderful times I have.
>>
>>29275994
>researching love/spirituality (read the small book "Ami: Child of The Stars"), deeply understanding it and applying it to your life (this one's huge)

This makes me sick. I know it's the only thing that really matters but it makes me feel fucking ill. Wisdom without love is a cold hell but the alternative is too disgusting for words.
>>
>>29274835
I have horrible hypochondria.
>>
>>29276088
Hey man, I have like 18 lovebirds of my own and I think they are really just retarded. They will never stop biting, just accept it. Even worse is if they have companions(as in my case) and have no need to bond with you.
>>
>>29276790
Hypochondria is usually a symptom of a larger problem:
>anxiety
>depression
>OCD
>>
>>29276748
Why though?

This isn't original
>>
Neurologist here.
Mental disorders are false, as are gay feelings
>>
>>29275994
>mindfulness
This massive push towards mindfulness in therapy is driving me fucking insane
>>
>>29278552
>false
Meaning what exactly? We know there are people who act abnormally in certain ways. We clump these people together into assorted groups to the best of our ability. How is that concept false?
>>
>>29275727
You keep on focusing on breathing. It's not necessary to block out all thoughts, you just need to not get distracted by them.
>>
>>29278552
>he can't handle problems that don't flare up on an MRI

kek
>>
>>29278584
it's not a real concept though. I did some research a year ago on mental disorders and their reliability. Now, some disorders such as psychosis and mirror syndrome are easily seen in an MRI, but the others have no correlation to the brain whatsoever. Psychiatrist mumbo jumbo will try to tell you otherwise
>>29278676
Not exactly, but after researching the subject, I think I know a bit more about it than you.

What I can recommend to anyone who is feeling "off" is to simply get more sleep, eat whole foods, and distance yourself from any negative aspects. Fucking guarantee you'll be okay within 4 months
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.