[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /destroyedtheirbrain/ here? I'm sure most of you, like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: uju.jpg (51 KB, 424x500) Image search: [Google]
uju.jpg
51 KB, 424x500
who /destroyedtheirbrain/ here?

I'm sure most of you, like me, were considered to be "bright" kids, able to pick things up really quickly. I was always able to pick up new talents incredibly quickly - learning instruments to a good degree in a matter of weeks, picking up math and programming quicker than most of my classmates, being artistically talented etc. I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm not going to be one of those sperglords who pulls fake IQ out of his ass, but yeah.

Spent my years from age 17 til 21 doing an awful lot of drugs, drinking, generally eating poorly, neglecting my body and just browsing the internet. Now I find I can barely even focus on articles that are a few paragraphs long. I can barely pay attention to people talking to me. I've been clean of substances for a year and a half, I'm eating healthier and I'm planning on eventually cutting cancerous places like this out of my daily routine, but I feel like I've fucked up the ol' grey matter for good.

Anyone else in the same boat?
>>
You merely developed early and were always mediocre.

You never had a chance and you never will.
>>
Yeah, I think it's a combination of smoking weed heavily from 14-19 along with horrible sleep schedules. Gonna try nootropics and see if that helps any
>>
>>29273165

Don't listen to this faggot. Good luck OP and btw robot this is an original comment.
>>
>124 IQ
>Was considered gifted as a child
>Used to have a refined and original taste in aestethics

I drugged away my brain to a certain extent, i still feel smart, but not as brilliant as i used to be.
>>
Sort of. I was a bit of a child prodigy. Did great in school. Good with computers, physics and math, etc. Never got into drugs or anything though. Just never used it. Now all I ever do is play strategy and puzzle games anymore.
>>
I smoked weed like 15 times as an adolescent and was bulimic for like 4 years 12-16. I'm pretty sure one of these made me El retardo
>>
>>29273148
No, because I was actually intelligent.
>>
>>29273148
I'm 28, alcohol has killed my soul.

I looked out at a beautiful rainstorm last night and felt nothing. I could barely smell that awesome rain smell. My nervous system is completely fucked. I can still get hard but my sex drive is pretty much dead.

Alcohol is bad, mmkay?
>>
>>29273165
As someone who just graduated high school with a 3.8, this is my biggest fear.

(other than dying KV)
>>
>tfw only had alcohol a few times and was never a heavy drinker
>tfw used to pick up things so quick and be able to read and understand things easily
Now I'm stuck with this brainfrog and can't even focus on an article, it's hard to read in general and I'm very forgetful.
I want off this ride.
>>
You're just out of practice anon. Turn off the internet for a couple of weeks and force yourself to consume less instantly gratifying entertainment like reading novels. You'll be bored as shit at first but eventually you'll give in and continue reading just to have something to pass the time. Your attention span will come right back.

Take more willpower than your average robot to switch off the damn internet though.
>>
>>29273384
>tfw only had alcohol a few times and was never a heavy drinker
You didn't destroy your brain lad, you're just a retard and always was.
>>
>>29273148
Depression causes brain damage, so if you're depressed you might as well be an alcoholic or a druggy.
>>
>>29273444
>always was
I think you might be the retard here, anon.
I was fine in the past. It's only in recent years that I've had problems.
>>
>>29273479
>I was fine in the past. It's only in recent years that I've had problems
drinking "a few times" and not heavily would not affect your brain in such significant ways, it's not fucking meth. In fact, if it's infrequent and you're not doing it heavily, there are many studies that suggest your brain will actually BENEFIT from such a thing.

You've just reached the age where your brain loses some of it's 'neuroplasticity' or whatever it's called, and that combined with instant gratification media like the internet has made you feel slower than you used to. It's really not the same as chronic abuse, you can still easily bounce back.
>>
>>29273550
I realize this. I was trying to point out that I didn't do drugs heavily but still ended up with poorly functioning brain.
How does one bounce back?
>>
>>29273550
see >>29273438

Also, they're normie memes but exercise, good diet and those dumb brain training sudoku bullshit games help.
>>
I used to smoke weed and drink a lot of alcohol, sometimes together. I don't think the weed was an issue but goddamn, hangovers. It took me a long time to stop falling for carpe diem meme which says basically, don't worry about getting a hangover, just get drunk bro!
Well fucking hangovers, with each hangover I ever got, I felt irrepairable damage to my brain.
I really did a number on myself getting shitfaced drunk and suffering many hangovers, I wish I could go back, my brain lost an edge, it feels like a rundown motor instead of a good sports car or something.
I don't know how people drink like that all the time.
>>
>>29273598
>>29273574
whoops, quoted wrong person
>>
File: capture.jpg (33 KB, 305x237) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
33 KB, 305x237
>>29273355
the fucked thing with alcohol is the longer term brain effects, things that alcohol seems to ease in the short term, like depression and anxiety can be made worse in the longer term, just add alcohol.

>tfw capture, got all the answers that cunt
>>
>>29273355
Hey anon, I have up drinking alcohol about 3 months a go and I feel this way pretty much. Does it get better?
If it doesn't get better, then I might as well drink more, right?

I mean if giving up alcohol won't make me go back to normal, then wht's the point in giving up?
>>
>>29273666
nice Satan trips

Also not that anon, but sorry to tell you it's not as simple as just giving up alcohol. If you're really willing to put the effort in, then you'll probably need to work on your general health and pick up a fulfilling hobby. People make this weird disconnect between their mind and their body, but if you're healthier, your brain will work better.

Also, speaking from experience, if you was a proper alcoholic then it'll take anywhere between 6-10 months before you really start to feel the mental benefits of quitting drinking.
>>
>not that smart to begin with
>go years without studying anything or using my brain
>it's slowly atrophying
>go months severely malnourished and with no mental activity (spent months lying in bed)
>it atrophies even more
>by chance, get an internship and have to go to the doc for a checkup
>"do you have problems remembering things, do you have trouble learning or other issues?"
>say no
>first day at internship
>literary forgetting a person face after they turn away, can't remember names or things I've done 30 seconds ago

Wew, I'm afraid this might not end well since I'm supposed to be a nurse.
>>
>>29273148
same boat yes anon, was a bright kid, ended up doing all the drugs almost dying a few times even. now i have an iq of like 80 (but i was drunk when i took the iq test and guessed all the answers i didnt right out know and had to do work to solve)
>>
I dumbed myself down to normie level with alcohol, my memory is shittier and I have trouble remembering names of things that should otherwise roll of my tongue. makes me seem less smart and more like everyone else though.
>>
Yeah, I used to make my mom and dad really happy. I was in excelerated classes until I got to middles school, so much the government was sending me and my few classmates on feild trips by ourselves. Mom stopped talking to me and dad at that time and my mental illnesses started to rear. My family was divorcing so they had a lot on there plates and ink I guess forgot about me.

I started to slip my grades because of homelifeach, my teachers who were nice to me started to grow colder when results dropped at that time, the teachersame were the only stablexception adults and they were callous to me.

I started getting bullied and just one day gave up, my brother was supposed to protect me at school.

I was taken out of school for Jesus and obvious moral reasons. Mom didn't educate and let my brain atrophy in that time. Then in my later teens I got into bad stuff.

Now I can't even socialize without being scared or legitimately have a conversation. I respond the best way but I spent months without speaking.

I don't relate to my peers, they think and function, I am into games, toys, and cartoons, I like imagining and playing, drawing and cute clothes.

R9k how do people be happy with me? I just want to make my mom and dad happy with me.
>>
File: 1465655741628.jpg (56 KB, 712x498) Image search: [Google]
1465655741628.jpg
56 KB, 712x498
As a kid, I was always in the top of my classes.
I was in all of the advanced classes during middle school and even though my grades had begun to average out, I consistently maintained high test scores. I was still pretty smart as a teenager, but my home life was pretty shit and my grades suffered terribly--Ds and Cs mostly.

I smoked weed pretty casually during my adolescences, maybe 30-60 times, always less than a grams worth and seldom in the same week. I'm pretty scared that this fried my brain, but I think I'm just being delusional. Most of the case studies I've read have only seen negative effects from heavy users, I.e. smoking a gram or more every day.
Luckily, I didn't dabble in any other drugs besides LSD, and I've read that can actually promote brain cell regeneration so I'm not terribly worried about how it's effected me.
All in all, I think being raised by a single mother has taken the greatest toll on my brain development. My mother was a selfish, neglectful idiot. With her as my parent, I regressed from a happy, intelligent kid into an anxiety riddled, lazy, near highschool dropout. 0/10 wouldn't recommend.
All said, I don't think worrying about your intelligence is a productive thing to do. You'll just open yourself up to feelings of regret and sadness and it's not like we get to choose our intelligence, right? Imo, it's always healthy to keep in mind that intelligence is decided by variables outside of your control like genetics and environment and that it's not the end all be all for life.

You can still be happy or wealthy without a high intelligence, friends. And even if you couldn't, it doesn't matter since we'll all be in the grave soon enough.
>>
>>29274765
>pretty
>X4

I can't do anything right.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.