[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do normies think that "Be yourself" is good advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 640.jpg (23 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
23 KB, 640x360
Why do normies think that "Be yourself" is good advice? Why do they say it so often?
>>
Because they know how to ridicule you
>>
To eliminate competition.
>>
>>29272683

I think that normies know that "be yourself" is not actual advice and they just say that to make you feel good about yourself.

The reason why you fucked up in life is because you have been yourself the whole time. Normies say "Be Yourself" because they want to make you think that "yourself" is good.
>>
They think that because thats what worked for them. They were normal in the first place it works fine for them.
>>
>>29272683
People misinterpret this

Being yourself is actually very good advice, it's just too blunt.
People like and respect people that stay true to their ideas and feelings without caring too much about what others think. If you bend to the will of other people's opinions or act out of fear rather than conviction, you are not "being yourself" but being everyone's bitch
>>
Because it worked for them.
>>
File: y.gif (925 KB, 212x176) Image search: [Google]
y.gif
925 KB, 212x176
Because they don't realize how easy it is to "be yourself" if you're a normie with normal tastes and generic interests. If I was to "be myself" I'd probably do or say something that loses me my job, my last few friends, and all of my remaining family.
>>
>>29272752
Wrong. Normies say it because all they've ever had to be is themselves. They haven't had to struggle with social interactions, bad personality traits, spergy habits and failures in the same way robots have.

Robots have to change themselves in order to succeed

Normies were born already able to do so.

That's not to say that normies don't get embarrassed or haven't failed at anything, just that they understand the intricacies of social interaction much better than the average robot.
>>
>>29272683

To "be yourself" means to act naturally and confidently around others. It makes sense, even if you find yourself incapable of doing so.

But, if you think you can put on a facade that somehow helps you with your relationships, then by all means, let me know how that has worked out for you.

>inb4 autistic shitstorm
>>
>>29272788
>>29272770
/thred
>>
They realize that being a neet loser but sticking up for what is right and true for yourself is better than having a job and wife but not being true to yourself.
>>
>>29272780
>normal tastes and generic interests

We got a special snowflake here.

The word "normie" implies that you people are somehow special. Just because you jerk off to decapitation videos doesn't mean you're better than anyone.

This place is becoming eerily similar to SJW boards.
>>
>>29272770
I agree that it's good to 'be yourself', but it's not good advice. 'Being yourself' is basically the same as saying 'be confident' in yourself. And people are asking because they're not confident in the first place, so saying 'be yourself' is just repeating their question to them. It never helps.
>>
>>29272770
>people that stay true to their ideas and feelings
How do you do that? I've always been that person who's very adaptable to others but i have no spine when it comes to standing for myself.
>>
>>29272823
I wasn't trying to act like I'm better than them, it just is what it is. The more generic and widespread your interests are, the more shared interests you have with the general population. If you "be yourself" but yourself is someone who doesn't like people, has dumb obscure music taste and hobbies nobody has ever heard of, you're not going to make many friends.

I'm not saying that makes me more special or superior, it's just facts.
>>
>>29272828

If you can acknowledge that much, then you really don't need any advice.

Do you think there exists a statement that could be made that would instantly make you acquire confidence in yourself?

You've identified the problem and now you have to fix it. People can try to point you in the right direction, but they can't talk you into being confident.

Confidence can only be attained through doing things that make you confident. Unless you're one of those infuriating shitheads that hold themselves in extremely high esteem, regardless of them being shitty people.
>>
>>29272870
>someone who doesn't like people

If you don't like people, then why are you concerned about making friends. It doesn't make sense.

Stop being an edgelord and just admit that you have a deep craving for social interaction. That would be the first step, instead of trying to convince everyone how you're above it all.
>>
To be yourself you need to know yourself.
>>
>>29272683
Because it worked for them so it must work for everyone.

I've tried "beeeing myself" for years and I always had nothing to show for it, and got chewed out for the things I did (i.e., socially autistic stuff) because of it as a result by the very same people giving this advice.
>>
>>29272770
>People like and respect people that stay true to their ideas and feelings without caring too much about what others think.
So why does Trump have so many people who hate him?
>>
>>29272683
A normie thinks that everyone is just like them. To a normie being yourself means you'll get along with most people, to an abnormie being yourself means you'll get along with nearly nobody. Of course at the same time "Be Yourself" is good advice in that it makes sure that the friendships you form aren't based on lies.
>>
>>29272887
>If you don't like people, then why are you concerned about making friends. It doesn't make sense
Because outside of doing some bar work at weekends, I'm a freelance programmer and web dev, I need to put on a fake mask of friendliness if I want to get clients so I can eat and live, apparently just being good at what you do isn't enough anymore
>>
>>29272934

Bullshit. If you know your field, you don't need to make friends with anyone.
>>
>>29272683
Normies are able to succeed by following that advice, because they are generally likeable and well adjusted people, unlike us.
>>
It's just a meaningless platitude. People love meaningless platitudes.
>>
>>29272683
Normalshits can say any old bullshit and morons will believe it because normies have confident sounding voices.
>>
>>29272905

Some people liking you for who you are and what you stand for does not mean that everyone does. Surest way to be despised by everyone and remain unhappy is trying to please everyone.
>>
File: 1464766607574.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1464766607574.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>just b urself
negro amigo that's easy if you know who 'urself' is, i wrecked my brain with drugs and memes long time ago
>>
"Be yourself" doesn't mean "be an angry autistic fat sperglord virgin neet". It means "be awesome, if not, then become awesome."

Robots just expect everything to be handed to them. You gotta work on yourself.
>>
People say to be yourself because I have to do the same time as a result of the line is that the final draft of the line and the other hand I am a very good at it and I thought you might like it was a good time to time the same thing with the water is not an easy fix this problem is that the only way to get the best of the line is in my head and neck.
>>
>being mad at people for them not being able to fix your life with a single sentence
>>
File: 1465831635358.png (136 KB, 425x1000) Image search: [Google]
1465831635358.png
136 KB, 425x1000
>>29272838
Realise that all people are nothing to you.
>>
>>29273119

In a nutshell, this is pretty much what it is.
>>
>>29272683
Who else are you gonna be?
>>
The point of "be yourself" isn't that being yourself will necessarily make people like you, if you suck then obviously they won't.

The point is that pretending to be someone else never works out in the long run. So you rope some girl in by putting on an act for a few days, but then what? Can you keep acting for a month, a year, forever? No you can't, because it gets exhausting. Eventually your facade will drop and things will fall apart.

That's why you should be yourself.
>>
>>29272838
This is the heart of everyone here's problem

Focus on your self and development of hobbies; developing the self is the hardest thing anyone ever does but it is literally the most rewarding. Strength of character comes out of acquired pride in what you do and are interested in.

Some of us have depression / anxiety that makes it more difficult to "be yourself" but that can be helped/cured by ssris and/or cbt therapy
>>
>>29273125
>Realise that all people are nothing to you
I cant. I wish i could go full nihilism but there's something i cannot kill in myself.
>>29273230
>Focus on your self and development of hobbies
The problem is that i dont know my strengths, i've always been that guy who manages to slip past anything but there's no depth in that.
>Strength of character comes out of acquired pride in what you do and are interested in.
Somehow other people have confidence without any achievements while i cannot muster even ounce of it. I've never been prideful one because how you can enjoy if it's not perfect?
>>
>>29272683
It's because social success requires an amount of charisma, a certain something, a sincere confidence in your air. If people are fake or try too hard, it can show and be very off-putting.

So what they're actually saying is that you should try to become a person you'd feel comfortable "being yourself" with, a person who you could confidently be without trying to put on a fake show, and that's what appeals to people. Which is true.
>>
It's good advice, but just to general to help. I had to condition myself a long time ago to not care what other think of me. Back in the day I was in my head thinking of every outcome of everything I said or did, for fear of what others think, and acted accordingly. Then thinking about how I should have done it different for the rest of the time. This never worked, and the outcomes were always different than I expected. I finally realized I don't think like them in the first place, so it's impossible to live by what I think others are thinking about what I say or do. So in the end I stopped giving a fuck, and just did me. I'm still awkward, uncool, and in to weird stuff, but I'm happier now and have actually made friends that I never would have had before. Still no gf but at this point I don't freeze in fear worrying what I can do to make them like me. I don't have great hope that I'll find a gf to love me, but if someone eventually does I'm at a place where I could accept it. It will be real because she fall for me instead of the see through front I used to display.
>>
>>29273158
I am myself all the time, being awkward and shy around a cute girl is myself, this won't make people like me though, I need to act like a normie to make people like me and even then, I'm still shy around cute girls so I just ignore them and don't talk to them.
It doesn't work, being yourself simply doesn't work for me.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.