[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>got a job in retail >dont really smile a whole lot >customers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1322797896001.png (6 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1322797896001.png
6 KB, 645x773
>got a job in retail
>dont really smile a whole lot
>customers tell me i need to smile more and to lose the attitude
>im perfectly helpful and do my job, i just find it hard to smile and act like im happy

This hurts. Why are retail workers expected to pretend to be happy? I feel like I spend most of my energy trying not to kill myself.
>>
>>29272650
tell them to fuck off then
the only good retail worker is a quiet one
>>
>>29272673

I have the same philosophy. I'm more of a "Here's what I have to do, and I'll do it" kind of guy. I feel like people basically just want to be left alone.
>>
>>29272650
My suggestion is that you look straight into their eyes, like you are looking through the back of their skull at their children. Maintain impeccable politeness, with a half smile and the cold hard look of a killer. Then: "can I help you further Madam/Sir?". maintaining the same composure.
>>
You're probably an autistic asshole and shit at your job, otherwise people wouldn't say that.
>>
I had the same issue op, I avoid smiling at all costs cause it makes you approachable and people feel more comfortable asking you asinine questions. But if management starts riding your ass then it's a problem. When a customer talks to you or walks by act like they said a joke and start a forced laugh. Try not to chuckle audibly of course but that is the easiest way to smile without feeling like a tool.
>>
File: 1435964362620.jpg (10 KB, 211x250) Image search: [Google]
1435964362620.jpg
10 KB, 211x250
>>29272650

Mr Anon, what did I tell you about posting during work hours!

Any more of that attitude and you can forget about this years $60 Christmas bonus.

Say it with me: the customer is ALWAYS right.
>>
I work in retail, I don't smile that much and have never in 9 years of working there had a customer tell me I need to smile more or lose an attitude. Maybe it's a British thing maybe.
>>
>>29272650
keep your mind on your second chakra until your personality changes.
>inb4 replies
>>
File: photo-64230.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
photo-64230.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>falling for the job meme
>2016
>>
>>29272830

It probably is. American culture is very different, everyone is fake happy all the time. In America there's this weird expectation that your default emotion should be peppy hapiness and outgoingness. And if you aren't acting like that at any time, people assume something is wrong or that you're just a dick.
>>
>>29272762
Have you worked in retail or customer service before?

As soon as your facial expression is anything but a smile people ask you what's wrong. It's like they can't comprehend the fact you're not shitting yourself with excitement upon seeing them
>>
You must be American. They're the only people I know that walk around smiling. It makes them look like simple-minded retards.
>>
>>29272830
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LiDTKEF1ek
>>
>>29272650
>>29273026
Do graveyard shift at a big store. You'll mostly be restocking and rarely if ever see a customer. When you do there is no expectation of smiling like a tard. More money too.
>>
>>29273026
>As soon as your facial expression is anything but a smile people ask you what's wrong.
I've never seen that before but then again, I don't live in burgerland.
>>
>>29273102
I live in aus and get it daily
>>
maybe you have the male version of a resting bitch face so they think you're pissed at them?
>>
>>29272650
This is why modern life is becoming so unbearable

It used to be if you kept your head down and did your job, you'd be ok

But now just getting the job done isn't enough anymore, you're expected to pretend to like it as well, which is much harder
>>
I'm in retail and I walk around with a permanent scowl on my face, and no one says anything.

I get paid to provide a service. Me curling my lips upwards is not part of the contract.

My advice to OP is: stop trying to please people. If someone is butthurt about you not smiling, and if they feel the need to bring it up with you, tell them to go crawl back up inside their whore mothers filthy rancid cunt.

Another good way of dealing with people like that is to just smile and agree with them, and disregard what they said entirely. If you put on a thinly veiled act of being agreeable, when it is obvious that you don't care - that REALLY pisses some people off.
>>
File: 1463921662428.jpg (33 KB, 386x393) Image search: [Google]
1463921662428.jpg
33 KB, 386x393
>>29272650
As someone who works at dollar tree and has to deal with people only 1 tier above walmart all I can say is: unless your boss/manager says to smile more you are fine. Fuck the customer they aren't that special that they need to control what you do. Next time they say "smile more" just ignore them, if they say "whats wrong" just say "oh nothing" with a hint of mirth.
>>
>>29272650
>Retail cuck
Oh I remember how much I hated that shit; do like an anon recommended and not give af or just go night-shift.

>You can also go warehouse side
Play with fun forklifts or pallet jack
Moderate exercise
That feel when you basically tell customers to fuck off you work in the back
(If your warehouse even has upfront customers)
Occasionally seeing Chads and Stacies crushed that we dont have something they want in the back(I lie sometimes).
>>
>Supervisor tells me I don't smile enough
>"Ok"
>Still don't do it
>She tells me some more
>"Ok"
>Still don't do it
>Eventually gives up and doesn't give me that shit anymore

I'll gladly smile and talk to people that are interested, but I'm not some fucking drone that's going to have a grin plastered on my face when 98% of the customers don't care about my presence.
>>
>>29272650
dude just ask yourself - do you want to actually help the people that come in the store? They aren't all being dicks, right? They're just shopping. Assume they're just decent, normal people. So now think about how you can speak to them and project the attitude that you are genuinely there to help them. You don't need to give a fake smile. I did customer service for a long time and I didn't use a fake smile.

I'd just do something like make eye contact and say "Hi, sir, what can I get for you today?" and just show them the same face I'd show a friend if I were asking them "bro, what do you want on your pizza" Or something liek that.
>>
>>29272650
Because seeing an unhappy wageslave makes them remember you're a human and they don't want to think of sad stuff like the misery and suffering of those that live beneath them. That makes everything uncomfortable.

Humanity is pretty fucking disgusting.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.