[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exploring the Illusion of Free Will Episode 161: Free Will and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: rareelliot.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rareelliot.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tEfB8Vx2Kw
>>
>hello court i did it but there's no free will so i couldnt help it
>ok you're free to go
>>
>>29253285

More like

>hello court i did it but there's no free will so i couldnt help it

>Yes, that's clearly the case. For the good of society, you need to be rehabilitated, and if that's not possible, then you must be permanently sequestered. It's not fundamentally your fault, but we can't have a person prone to committing these crimes on the loose.
>>
The main course of the video starts at around 3:47, btw.

That's when one of the hosts (Nick) reads the opening of "My Twisted World" and afterwards another host (Mike) brings up the fact that Rodger seemed to attribute free will to other people (particularly women), but not to himself.
>>
I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more posts, because people here talk about the issue of free will and about Elliot Rodger all the time.

So I would imagine that a video and discussion combining the two would make for a very active thread.

Maybe I'm just being impatient? Well, let's see what happens.
>>
>>29253285
the court doesn't have free will either
>>
Was this thread fated to never take off?
>>
>>29253262
>no free will
nice meme faggot
>>
I feel like there some free will, bit that's limited to your environment, society, and upbringing. You can do whatever in those boundaries. Is is true free will? Considering normie manipulation by companies and such, not really, but do people care?
>>
>>29254370

Please, do go on.

How do you define "free will"?

Why do you believe in it?
>>
>>29254414

>I feel like there some free will, bit that's limited to your environment, society, and upbringing. You can do whatever in those boundaries.

But if you're never free from the compulsions brought about by your environment (and genetics), then how can you have even a bit of free will?

"You" yourself are the product of your environment and genetics. You can never via some act of "will" step outside your own causal history. Even your will itself the product of your genetics and conditioning.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.