[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there free will? Do we really have control over the choices
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 9cxzM7c.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
9cxzM7c.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
Is there free will?
Do we really have control over the choices we make in our lives?
>>
File: 1445252299990.png (12 KB, 245x305) Image search: [Google]
1445252299990.png
12 KB, 245x305
>>29243635
Yes. You TOTALLY, without a DOUBT have 100% control over your own life.
>>
You always have control over the choices you make, but not the outcome from those choices. Factors beyond your control will always have the potential to influence the path of your life.
>>
>>29243635
you have the ability to think and question things. there are obviously going to be outside sources that will stop you, or slow you. even your genetics can stop you from being such and such, but that really ins't your fault. if you could, you know you would change things about you. that's your free will.
>>
>>29243635
You need to get shirts that actually match with your pants. That's not hard.
>>
You have a choice, but you have no control over the outcomes
>>
File: 1251_beyond_two_souls_.jpg (139 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1251_beyond_two_souls_.jpg
139 KB, 1920x1080
is that heavy rain?
>tfw no ps3
>>
>>29243836
are you schizophrenic
iugukg
>>
>>29243635
We have as much 'free will' as any decision making self-modifying machine
>>
Free will is a myth, religion is a joke...
We are all pawns, controlled by something greater:
MEMES
THE DNA OF THE SOUL/spoiler]
>>
>>29243967
Yes, it is Heavy Rain. Boring as hell - read a synopsis. Her chesticles look decent for PS3 tech.
>>
>>29244047
it's your own problem if you think you're a machine, but your WILL to think and believe that is FREE. check mate
>>
>>29244107
>it's your own problem if you think you're a machine
Who says it's a problem?

>but your WILL to think and believe that is FREE
I didn't choose to think like this I was compelled to because of the way specific evidence resonated with me and my prior understanding of the world (which all came from external uncontrollable sources)

Anyways my point was that if you think humans can have free will then you must also agree that definition of free will can apply to machines.
>>
>Is there free will?

I don't think so. Give the question some further consideration. How would a free will mechanically function?

I don't see why the concept is even important to some people. You may not be in control of your life as much as you'd like to believe, but from your perception of things, your ability to make "choices" is nonetheless (mostly) in agreement with whatever values, knowledge or beliefs you possess. You shouldn't be worried about some external force compelling you to make bad choices. If you're making bad choices, it's because your dumbshit views are not in accordance with how the world actually works, or you're just mentally ill.
>>
File: 1461992157881.png (246 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
1461992157881.png
246 KB, 1280x640
>>29243635
All thoughts and decisions are ultimately based on information and events perceived before.
>>
I do believe most outcomes are predictable, but ultimately it'd be really fucking hard to do that, too much quantum shit and sudden thoughts appearing out of nowhere in people's minds
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.