[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is really a nerd here? What do you think of nerd and geek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 45.jpg (679 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
679 KB, 1067x1600
Who is really a nerd here? What do you think of nerd and geek culture today?
>>
real nerds piss me off
>>
>>29240838

I played sports, though I was a clutz at most of them. I think I may be disqualified. The only sports nerds are allowed to participate in are cross country and chess.
>>
>>29240838
I associate nerds with unhappy thoughts. I read loads of scientific books but would've never identify as a nerd.
Also dae think nerds complaining about certain movies is absolutely repulsive?
>>
>>29240838
I wish I was a nerd but I am bad at everything...
>>
>>29240995
this, nerds were competitive tryhards that treated me like gomi just as much as chads, they just had a narrower field of competition
>>
What does 'really a nerd' even mean anymore
>>
Everything nerds used to like is mainstream garbage now

Even Warcraft got a big blockbuster release

Only things left are D&D and other tabletop games
>>
>>29241242

Nerds for gen-x were just people that cared a little too much about school (they weren't necessarily geniuses) and often had allergies and defective vision. Much of the nerd stereotype came from Jews. Woody Allen and Jerry Lewis characters were prototypical nerds.
>>
>>29241242

To be a Nerd, you must:
>Be able to perform integral calculus
>Be competent with a computer, to the point that you can spec and build one yourself
>You must have academic recognition (degree) in at least one field of science
>Must be interested in learning, and also have some artistic skill
>Must be a nervous mess around the opposite sex

If you do not meet these criteria, you are merely a Geek.
>>
nerd """""""""culture"""""""""
i wouldnt call collectively wasting your life on vidya and hentai while failing school a culture
>>
>>29240838
>What do you think of nerd and geek culture today?

It seems a lot more mainstream to be a nerd now, for some reason. Other than that, I don't think it's any different from what I grew up with.
>>
>>29241420

> STEM
How about anyone that studies stuff on their own beyond the requirements of career or school? Someone really into philosophy or literature can be quite nerdy without being very good at math.
>>
before it was ugly and autistic faggots

now its normies who think they are OMG SUCH A WIERD NERD xDDD because they managed to connect their computer to the wifi
>>
>>29241492

Human brains are adjusting to the tech revolution. Nerd is becoming the new norm. It's been this way since the 70s when vidya started to take off. Atari's first game cabinet was put in a bar, not a library or university.
>>
>>29241498

No sorry, the original definition and caricature mandates mathematical skills.

Somebody really into literature is a "bookworm"

Sure those types of people can be nerd-y, nerd-like, but they are not wholly Nerds.

And it's not like being a nerd is a prestige, it is just a definition for a certain type of personality associated with certain bases of skills and knowledge.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.