[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it autistic to wear a helmet when bicycling?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13
File: 01-cycling-adv-helmet.jpg (19 KB, 482x264) Image search: [Google]
01-cycling-adv-helmet.jpg
19 KB, 482x264
Is it autistic to wear a helmet when bicycling?
>>
>>29235859
If it is on a regular bicycle, maybe.
But who cares?
>>
>>29235859

are you in a city with a significant chance to be in an accident?

or are you on a track or somewhere generally unpopulated?
>>
>>29235930
Good question, also which country? In the Netherlands very few people wear helmets.
But that's because it is bicycle friendly.
>>
>>29235886
Well, I'm asking because I will be biking one mile to school everyday next year, and I don't want to seem like an autist in front of my classmates. Wearing a helmet seems really dorky, and it's such a short distance that it'll probably never matter...but I want to be safe. I'm torn.
>>
>>29235930
I'm going to be in a small town of 10,000 people. It's quite rural there.

>>29235949

New Hampshire, United States
>>
>>29235859
What are you, 14 and worried about looking cool?

Wear a helmet, faggot.
>>
>>29235859
Maybe, but its like asking should you CC in a sorta bad neighborhood. Gauge your options, you are in charge of your own well-being.
>>
>>29235954

Wear a helmet for your own security. Better safe than sorry
>>
>>29235859
No, but I still feel ridiculous wearing one.
Plus, there's the added benefit of having an accident and having a chance to die cause I didn't wear a helmet.
>>
>>29235954
>one mile
Americans are hilarious. But yes, wear your helmet just to be sure. You can also attach your helmet to your bicycle lock when you leave it outside. That way your classmates won't even see you with your dork helmet.
>>
When you are in the hospital with a skull fracture or worse post update dumbass
>>
>>29235979

in that case don't worry about it.

you will probably be the only kid who rides a bike. dont draw further attention to yourself by wearing a helmet.
>>
>>29235859
>Protecting yourself from brain injuries.
>Autistic.

Boy, this board has went full retard, huh?
>>
>>29235954
Ride on the side walk and be careful, a mile is nothing, that's walking distance actually, i hope you didn't buy a bike just for that. But yea just be careful.
>>
File: Antisocial.png (157 KB, 672x373) Image search: [Google]
Antisocial.png
157 KB, 672x373
It's only autistic to care about others potentially negative opinions on safety measures that much
>>
I live in Minneapolis, one of the most bike-friendly cities in the US. I've wanted to start biking, but I'm severely autistic, so I've been keeping track of how many people wear helmets. It seems to me that people on very short rides around their neighborhoods might not wear a helmet, but almost everyone that rides on any kind of major road or commuters seem to. I've been keeping track during my drive to and from work, and the commuters definitely wear helmets.
>>
>>29236009
There is an even greater chance that you will turn into a vegetable, instead of being released by death.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 569x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 569x356
>Giving other people's opinion of you greater credence than your own personal safety
>>
>>29236064
>no consciousness
>not the same as death
I want this "if the heart is still beating, you're still alive" meme to stop.
If you can't fucking think, if you can't retain a personality, you're no longer a person.
I'm okay with that. I want my brain turned off, I'm tired I need a rest, a long sleep.
>>
>>29236027
>Ride on the side walk
Bicycles are vehicles and vehicles belong onto the street. Of course a dedicated cycling path is ideal, but those aren't everywhere. Cycling on the side walk is like playing roulette with pedestrians, unless you ride at walking speed.
>>
>>29235859

op, have you read up on basic defensive bike riding skills? knowing how to properly use the streets and sidewalks is way more important than wearing a helmet and hoping for the best.

i rode a bike for a year when i didnt have a car and i got hit by cars 5 fucking times! the fifth time i went home and looked up how to ride a bike and found out i was a fucking dumbass and riding completely wrong.
>>
>>29235859
My uncle died when he was like, seven.
Bowled over by a car while riding his bike unhelmeted.
This was some years before it was made mandatory to wear one in Australia.

Autistic or not (I personally believe not), they do save lives. Especially if you're already uncoordinated to begin with.

My other 5 uncles had to deal with the resulting trauma from witnessing their brothers brain splattered all over the bitchemen. They eventually had to move neighbourhoods because the bloodstain stuck for quite some time afterward.
>>
>>29236027
Depending on the area it might be illegal for OP to do that

One mile isn't a lot to ride but if it's a busy area I'd go with wearing a helmet. Normally I just cycle on a paved trail in the woods that doesn't allow cars so I usually don't wear one.
>>
>>29235859
I dunno mang, would you rather be autistic or a vegetable
>>
>>29236059
I have noticed that the more experienced and dedicated cyclists are, the more likely they are to wear helmets.
>>
helmets are for normalfags

robots don't give a fuck about getting hit in an accident and dying, but normalfags have families and girlfriends and shit that would miss them
>>
>>29236104
How did you ride that you got hit by cars five times?
>>
is it autistic to spill your brains over the asphalt?
>>
Honestly, this thread is the most out of touch thing I have ever read. Nobody will even notice if or not you wear a helmet, let alone care. You are incredibly insecure if you're worried about being mocked for wearing a helmet.
>>
>>29236187
Not if it is your last wish!
>>
>>29235859
Yes, yes it is.

If you really think a top of the skull helmet is going to save your brain from injury when you fall off, you're mistaken.

The chances of the helmet actually hitting the ground when you fall going 5mph on your bike is laughable. You're more likely going to hurt your arms when you throw them out to catch yourself.

Seriously, wearing helmets on bikes is for autists.
>>
>>29235859
it's not required where I live so if you wear a helmet on a bike and you're not going fast or have full lycra garb you look like a tryhard
>>
>>29235979

UNH Durham?

Winters are gonna suck man, I lived in NH for 19 years.
>>
File: .....jpg (14 KB, 157x181) Image search: [Google]
.....jpg
14 KB, 157x181
>>29236214
>You are incredibly insecure if you're worried about being mocked for X.
Remember where you are.
>>
>>29236214
I hope your 15 minutes here so far have been pleasant.
>>
i don't really care what people think enough to wear or not wear a helmet, it's just that i've never seen the point of wearing a helmet if you're just biking around a neighborhood

in the middle of new york and zipping between cars? wear a fuckin helmet - blazing down an isolated rough trail in the woods? wear a helmet - biking 3-5 miles at a casual pace on the sidewalk or empty roads? do what you want, you'd have to literally be half asleep or retarded to get grievously injured
>>
>>29236262
Dartmouth in good ole Hanover, actually. Not the undergrad though. One of the grad schools.
>>
Just get a motorcycle helmet if it bothers you that much
>>
I always wear and and if you're not going slow then you should be wearing one.

I crashed on my bike going about 22 mph and only got a concussion and a cracked helmet. If I had been without a helmet it would have been a lot worse.
>>
File: Fragezeichen-Futo.jpg (119 KB, 850x1011) Image search: [Google]
Fragezeichen-Futo.jpg
119 KB, 850x1011
What kind of biku do you ride, /r9k/?
>>
You should be fine OP, no matter what you choose. If you don't already have a helmet you should buy one, in case you decide to bike somewhere other than your school, a bit farther away.

>>29236334
^This would be the autistic thing you could do
>>
>>29235859
Yes. Brain damage is the most normie thing possible.
>>
>>29236442
80's romet wigry
>>
It's now considered autistic to protect your skull when traversing via bicycle?

I'm done
>>
>>29236442
a mountain bike
cause i'm gay
but not in a homosexual way
>>
>>29236484
nigga there are countries where helmets ara neither required by law or customary and have thriving bike cultures with few bonked heads regardless

if helmets do anything they deter people from cycling
in japan electric bicycles came to be because people began abandoning mopeds like crazy once they required helmets
>>
File: 349943209223.jpg (214 KB, 950x936) Image search: [Google]
349943209223.jpg
214 KB, 950x936
I was worried about the same thing. So I always wear a motorcycle helmet when riding my bicycle. Everyone thinks motorcycles are cool. Now I do not have to be afraid if people think I'm autistic. Hope this helps.
>>
File: 1465382942367.png (503 KB, 614x444) Image search: [Google]
1465382942367.png
503 KB, 614x444
>>29236546
I really REALLY hope this is bait
>>
>>29235859
>>>29236104
>How did you ride that you got hit by cars five times?

rode on the sidewalk.
rode against traffic.
ecpected drivers to look both ways when turning.

look up defensive riding guidelines - i basically did the opposite of everything they tell you to do.
>>
>>29236546
Kek I wish this was true. Nice filename.
who was fone?
>>
it's more autistic not to wear one and then suffer brain trauma
>>
>>29236592
yeah take advice from this guy, he surely has alot of friends and knows how not to look autistic
>>
>>29236021
t. Pathetic Virgin Manchild
>>
>>29236011
Why is riding a mile to school funny?
>>
>>29236620
Dutchfags are too poor to afford cars so they ride their bikes 40 km a day.
>>
>>29236617

one of those is correct
>>
>>29236564
Motorcyclists always stop and look when they see me. They can sense I'm one of them. Maybe I'll invest in something leather. Wear same helmet for ice skating.
>>
>>29236546
now THAT'S autistic
xxx
>>
If you have to ask, you clearly don't mind getting injured. If this is the case, go without it.
>>
>>29235859
Actually, due to Central Processing Disorders, autistic people are more likely to find wearing a helmet an unbearable experience.
>>
>>29236442
82 nishiki rally because im poor.
>>
>>29235859
>wearing a helmet on a fucking bicycle.
Haha Americans are so pathetic.
>>
>>29236442
A cyclocross.
>>
>>29235859
Have fun with your cracked skull when you crash, faggot.

>>29235954
>I value other's opinion of me over my health
faggot
>>
>>29235859
if you want the risk of a potential brain injury, then don't wear a helmet, because at least you'll be stylish in front of your peers amirite?
>>
File: 1429207199196.jpg (40 KB, 428x546) Image search: [Google]
1429207199196.jpg
40 KB, 428x546
>>29235859
Are you one of those little kids who ride their bike with their helmet hanging on the handlebar?
>>
Since this is probably the most relevant thread I'll see do you think wearing a MTB helmet is autistic for a motor-assisted bike?
>>
It's not autistic, in that people won't think less of you for it, however NOT wearing a helmet will likely divide opinion on you between the people who think it's cool and those who think you're an idiot. (which if you're cycling on busy roads or doing tricks, then you are)
>>
>>29238095
Depends on the power of it, if you're not going to be going *that* much faster than a regular bicycle then it will probably be overkill.
>>
>>29238095
If you are riding it on an MTB trail it is certainly appropriate, but not on normal streets, unless you modified your bike to reach very high speeds.
>>
>>29238095
I'm gonna say yes desu familia.
>>
Has anybody here ever been saved from a serious injury by a helmet?
(after the age of 12)
>>
File: 1389723697801.png (21 KB, 542x602) Image search: [Google]
1389723697801.png
21 KB, 542x602
>>29235859
Story Time
>Kid at my school
>he is alpha and popular
>one day he was riding his bike home
>he listened to music and did not pay attention to the traffic
>he is riding his bike on a big street
>a bus wants to pull over and honks
>he panics and fell of his bike
>1 week coma but won't wake up ever again
>he dead
RIP L7
>>
>>29235859

It's not autistic. That is what these helmets are for.
>>
>>29236442
I don't know, it's just some generic bicycle my grandparents got me from a car boot sale years ago.
>>
People look like clowns when they wear them, but I cant fault them for wanting to protect their heads. A simple tumble down could end badly if you hit your head on the pavement.
>>
Helmets will only make you look like a dork if you already look like a dork without a helmet.
>>
>>29235859
A couple near disastrous crashes was sufficient cause for me to stop being a stupid child and start wearing a goddamn helmet. This was one of many; wear warm clothes when it's cold, wear gloves when doing mechanics, wear safety goggles and ear plugs when using power tools, don't drive like a fool, and so forth.

Don't take risks when it doesn't matter and there is no forseeable benefit.
>>
>>29235859
For a fucking bicycle? No. The likelihood of getting a brain injury whilst riding a bicycle is not worth considering - and if you're in a situation where your brain is at risk on a fucking bicycle it's gonna be so dire a situation a helmet ain't gonna save you.
>>
>>29235859
Yes, you'll look like a retard. But you'll really look like a retard if you fall and hit your head without one.
>>
>>29238340

A helmet can mean the difference between a concussion and a skull fracture, anon. And why not wear one? Too much effort? Uncomfortable? Girls will think you have a small penis and sub standard cunnilingus skill?
>>
>>29235859
wear your helmet op
sure there is nothing cool about wearing a helmet but you know what there is also nothing cool about?
fucking brain damage, i've only ever had one really bad accident on my bike and i slammed my head pretty hard into the ground, thank fuck i was wearing my helmet that time because i never used to wear a helmet when riding because i was a image obsessed teenager
>>
>>29238483
It costs money. You have to spend time strapping it to your head. It looks ugly, gay and retarded and makes me feel the corresponding adjectives. I have to see it in my house, a shitty item that I despise. It's uncomfortable. If I had a time machine, I'd go and fucking kill the guy that thought bicycle helmets were a good idea.
>>
>>29235859
it's the law around here.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 640x427
>>29235954
If you don't want to be seen as an autist don't wear it but know the risks. Maybe people already see you as autist, then don't care and wear it.
>>
>>29235859
It's only ok if you're a dad and wear appropriate dad clothes.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.