[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mental illness/ discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1465247712477.jpg (127 KB, 1024x741) Image search: [Google]
1465247712477.jpg
127 KB, 1024x741
Does anybody else think it would be a great idea if there was a board dedicated to mental illness?
Considering the fact that a vast majority of 4chan users suffer for some from some sort of social anxiety, depression, schizophrenia etc i think we'd benefit a lot from this. Especially /r9k and /x/. We need a place where we can help each other out support each other self improve etc and not just wine all day about banal shit.
And i mean i don't want to through around the word normie but there are a lot of people on /r9k/ and other places who make it difficult to have a serious discussion about our personal problems with mental illness.
What are your thoughts on this? If anons show enough interest in this thread i'll make one over in /qa/

tl;dr 4chan could do with a mental illness board
>>
>>29229860
As long as it doesn't drown in self-pity. I got bipolar disorder and in the past checked out r/bipolar. It was full of self-pity: I don't need that it keeps me down.
>>
>>29229891
That's what i'm talking about. I think the problem with /r9k/ is that people just whine all day about their problems and don't discuss how to over come them
>>
>>29229860
>>>/adv/
you find better informative community in forums specially design for it.

I don;t think it'll fit 4chan its a place to have fun
>>
>>29229936
/adv/ is ok but we need a community where we're united by a common problem
>>
It'd be great for you guys, then you can all commit mass anhero and this site will be a little better
>>
>>29229922
All 2's and 9's with three dubs
>nice
>>
>>29229860
It would just be a big competition of who has the "worst" illness and people saying that certain illnesses don't exist
Also a constant fight about self diagnose vs professional diagnose
People are too stupid to realise that mental health is not a competition
t. Anon with borderline, depressions, agoraphobia, and social anxiety
>>
>>29230077
That's what /generals/ are for
>>
>>29229860
Absolutely not. These threads just turn into a contest of "I'm worse than you are", and self diagnosis is already rampant in them, we don't need a whole board to be that way, we're not tumblr.

If you need advice on something, go to /adv/, a good amount of threads over there are "I think I have x disorder, what do I do?", and the responses are nearly always "Don't self diagnose, go see a psychiatrist". If there was a whole board, it would just result in cliques of "cool" illnesses, worse than we already have here, and people thinking that they can diagnose each other off a couple self reported lines.

It wouldn't be good.

Also, as >>29230077 said, you'd get a stupid meta almost about mental illnesses, people saying ones don't even exist.
>>
>>29229922
In my experience you'll over come it with time and because of the right circumstances.
Therapy didn't do nuffin.
>>
>>29230207
But, that being said, I still think that if you think it's a good idea, you should make the /qa/ thread, this isn't my website, and it's possible others think it's a good idea. You'll get longer lasting discussion of it if people find it interesting at least.
>>
>>29230207
The whole point of the board wouldn't be to diagnose people with mental illnesses but to help each other out. Shitposting happens on every board that can't be helped but having say a /depressiongeneral/ for example would play a big part in dealing with that. It works somewhat on /r9k/ anyways. When an anon makes a thread dedicated to a specific disorder most people who don't have it stay out of it
>>
>>29230238
Talking to other people who share the same problems can do a great deal of help. And we have the benefit of being on an anonymoys community where anons can talk about issues they normaly wouldn't want to irl
>>
>>29230320
If you make fun of your misery yes, and have some comradery (in this together) but self-pity can make things worse.
>>
>>29230283
True, and I understand your intention, but look at any other board. They turn into a circlejerk where only certain things are allowed. /mu/ is a great example. It's designed for music discussion and sharing, yet it's really hard to talk about anything but whatever the newest memerapper is, or whatever indie rock is currently considered okay, anything else is shat on and the thread 404's.

Take the fact that most mental illness threads here alone are filled with people diagnosing themselves and others with shit anyway. All of those people would move to the new board instantly, and the meta would form around that, with disorders like schizophrenia being popular and apparently everyone having it, but stuff that's not popular but is more common just never appearing, and entire disorders being "They don't exist".

Generals would alleviate this somewhat, but would still be mostly filled with people wanting to have the "cool" disorders, and others trolling people in stupid ways. At best they'd just be negative circlejerks, like the depression general was here.

I understand the point of what you're saying, and really, it's an admirable thing to do, but I think it would be better served as a general on /adv/, with proper medical advice being left to medical professionals.

Really though, I have to say, this is just my opinion and I urge you to make a thread about it on /qa/, it's possible there's a way of doing this without the issues I've spoken about.

But there was a niche chan that already did something similar, I can't remember the name, but it was based around some asian walking simulator game, opuanikichan or someshit, I really can't remember the name(some other anon might be able to, it focussed on finding NPC's which you could get transforms from), they had a /psych/, and it was filled with exactly what I said, despite it only having like 20 threads before it got killed. If a slow site like that has those issues, what chance does 4chan have?
>>
>>29230045
>And i mean i don't want to through around the word normie but there are a lot of people on /r9k/ and other places who make it difficult to have a serious discussion about our personal problems

You're exactly who OP was talking about.
>>
>>29230579
If you just ignore those posters they go away anon, only reason baitposts are an issue is that people reply to them.
>>
>>29230485
yeah you do make a fair point. I just thought that any alternative that isn't the shitposting circlejerk that is /r9k/ right now would be better. Still, i believe that if enough anons with good intentions get together something good may come out of it. That being said with the condition the site is in right now it probaby woudn't be a year before the board went to shit. I'll make a thread over at /qa/ anyways and see what they have to say about it
>>
>>29230646
Sounds good anon, I'll have a look for it if you're interested in continuing the discussion, it's an interesting concept.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.