[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random faggots on the internet told me my liberal arts degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: 1362433143469.jpg (222 KB, 569x571) Image search: [Google]
1362433143469.jpg
222 KB, 569x571
Random faggots on the internet told me my liberal arts degree was shit because it's not STEM and now I'm sad. I worked five years, and it took blood,sweat and tears for me to get that degree. I'm proud of it, you know? It might not have been as hard as a STEM degree but I had my own set of challenges to overcome by getting it. I mean hell, I make fun of people with fucking Psychology and Art degrees. But they probably got a degree in something they have a passion for or enjoy doing, I mean that's what I did. I'd rather have a job doing something I love rather than working a shit job making a lot of money. I know STEM degrees pay a lot of money but I'd hate to spend my life doing something I don't even like just to make a lot of money, I guess the money makes up for it but happiness is subjective. I can't say STEM majors aren't happy because a lot of them are in it for the money, depends on whether you believe money can buy happiness.

Anyone else here have a thin skin? I wish I wasn't bothered by the shit random people say on the internet, it's like I know I'll never meet them and they have no impact/bearing on my life but, words hurt man.
>>
>>29226897
if you are happy you shouldnt care what others think
>>
>liberal arts degree

What a fucking waste of time and money.
>>
>>29226897
>I wish I wasn't bothered by the shit random people say on the internet
I'm that way too. It makes me feel pathetic. A discussion with someone here once left me feeling like shit for at least a week.

The only good thing about a STEM degree is the money imo. If I could choose, I would go for a liberal arts degree. It's way more interesting
>>
File: 1465675042673.jpg (51 KB, 960x852) Image search: [Google]
1465675042673.jpg
51 KB, 960x852
If it was literally anything else anon, I would care.

But it's fucking liberal "arts"

What are you even doing for a career
>>
File: Grades.png (14 KB, 993x100) Image search: [Google]
Grades.png
14 KB, 993x100
>>29226897
I feel you OP.

>tfw Master's in English Literature
>tfw watching my STEM peers cruise by memorizing rote formulae while I get grilled for how in-depth my discussion and critical thought is

I wish I could just memorize a textbook and win at life like they do.
>>
>>29226897
Lel, a person can easily work STEM and have enough time to spend on hobbies like art, all you learn in liberal arts you could as easily learn by reading fucking books.

On the other hand it'd be pretty difficult for you to pick up STEM from just books and spare time.

What can we say Anon, you fell for the liberal arts meme degree.
>>
>>29226897
>falling for the STEM is hard meme
STEM is ridiculously easy because you don't have classes that are 100% memorization. You literally don't have to try in STEM until you get near the end as long as you understand math.
>>
You might be Borderline. Or INFJ.
>>
>>29228085
What the fuck?? "Crime in Japanese Lit & Film" is this fucking Photoshop? How the fuck is that an actual class? Do you go to fucking clown college? No, seriously, what college do you go to? The weirdest course names I've seen are like musical theory history or some weird shit like that. Atleast that was practical. Yours sounds so random
>>
>>29228197
I go to Emporia State University.

What's wrong with learning about what's portrayed as criminal in different cultures and how crime is fought?
>>
File: 1448498924862.jpg (43 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1448498924862.jpg
43 KB, 330x319
>>29226897
>five years
>liberal arts

op...
>>
>>29228197
That actually seems really interesting
>>
>>29226897
Liberal arts are actually harder because you get graded on your ideas and how well you can present them and argue your position.

STEM is just math and some memorisation, you barely need to study for that
>>
File: 1465536405466.gif (1 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
1465536405466.gif
1 MB, 580x433
>>29228207
>>29228245
Yeah it's fucking fine to learn about things that ate interesting, but not when you are spending thousands of dollars for something you can read online.

You're supposed to be getting useful information for a career, not dicking around and making friends.

But waste your money and go into debt, I hope it was worth lowering your GPA
>>
what do you do with a liberal arts degree
>>
>>29228595
I'm going into teaching and, believe it or not, feminist literary criticism.

I also got my BA in TESOL because I plan to teach English abroad as well.
>teaching in the United States
k
kek
k
>>
File: 1447308243259.jpg (51 KB, 599x437) Image search: [Google]
1447308243259.jpg
51 KB, 599x437
>>29226897
I'm getting a STEM degree, finished my first year, now I have 2.5 years to go.

Not only am I supposedly guaranteed a high paying job, but I also love the field that I am studying.

Your meme degree isn't necessarily "shit", as it does indicate you are knowledgeable in your subject, at least to an extent. However, it is a well known fact that there are few feasible job prospects for someone with a meme degree, and that you shouldn't get one unless you have the money for it and you don't plan on using it towards finding a career. If you did it to improve yourself, that's great and fine. But most people don't get degrees for that reason (because they don't have the $100k to spare), they get degrees to secure for themselves a better and higher paying job.

Therefore, if you put yourself in debt for such a degree, you are literally fucking retarded, but it doesn't make your degree shit. It just makes it useless.
>>
>>29228815
Please tell me more about how you know everything about the world after only a year of college.

You're actually not that far off the mark, but there's not really that much of a shortage of jobs in the liberal arts sector, either. Most of them simply involve teaching or being involved in education in one way or another. How else do you think the academic machine has perpetuated itself this far?
>>
The most financially successful person from my graduating class went to school for a music degree. He ended up as a real estate agent (requires no degree) and makes tons of money, yet made it to the final round of America's Got Talent for music and absolutely loves his life - and he's a great musician. His music education helped him find ways to make other people happy, and those people helped him advance his career, and now his music education is paying off as a once-in-a-lifetime experience while every show he plays at our hometown introduces him to more people who respect him for a variety of reasons.

I hate this dude extremely, but don't think he made any incorrect choices in his life. Real estate is easy to equate to a technical degree like plumbing: even if he'd become a plumber, when you subtract the student debt he'll still be making more than any of his STEM peers for at least the next ten years. Not a bad choice. He's happy and he has a good career.

If you can pay for your arts degree without major burden, then it's worth it, especially if you're willing to work a different career until your creative career kicks off.

Plus, every single visual you see online, every shitty article, every ad, every children's book illustration, every commercial jingle: all completed by professionals who somehow (probably through education) learned the fundamentals and entered a career to take advantage of them. Even if you limit your perception to marketing, liberal arts is valuable.
>>
>>29226897
I'm pretty worse off. I got a useless history degree that I never cared for because only about 1% of the material was about the Fuhrer and the subsequent World War II and Cold War. Everything else was about ancient tribes that no one gives a single fuck about.

Only thing I can do with it is teach, but I can't stand kids and the thought of going back into school (literally the worst years of my life) is sickening. At least I'm loaded with cash so I can just go waste my time on another degree that would actually get me landed into a comfy job. I'm thinking maybe IT.
>>
>>29228948

>most of them simply involve education

Just in case you only read (you)s, consider this massive industry: marketing.
>>
>>29226897
That's good to hear that you choose a degree that you are passionate about. How's your job?
>>
>>29229078

Write shitty ebooks and sell them while you're gaining your IT degree. Then, once the massive emphasis on IT overwhelms you with employees 10 years your junior, then use your life experience to write even better books about history. They don't have to be purely recreational books either: use your history experience to write workplace training guides, first-time parent explainers, clickbait articles, etc. You'd be surprised how much the non-naive clickbait article writers can make. I started as a clickbait writer at $2 hour but now the extensive topic knowledge makes work easy as hell and the total works out to more like $50/hr.
>>
>>29229142
Clickbait sounds good, actually. Teacher is probably the worst gradecuck job, especially (but not only) for robots and cyborgs. They get to be mocked by the Chads and Stacies all over again.
>>
File: HAAH WAAW.jpg (102 KB, 640x805) Image search: [Google]
HAAH WAAW.jpg
102 KB, 640x805
>>29229167
>They get to be mocked by the Chads and Stacies all over again.

>become GA during grad school
>freshmen thinking they're hot shit
>mfw I hold the keys to their future
>>
>>29229184
In a world of helicopter parents where if their sweet little angel gets a single bad grade they go apeshit, sue and you get fired? Not likely.
>>
File: Missed!.png (804 KB, 832x1229) Image search: [Google]
Missed!.png
804 KB, 832x1229
>>29229232
Whatever you say, man. I've been doing this for about a year, but I'm sure you know more about the ins and outs of it than I do.
>>
>>29229167

The only teaching job I'd ever accept would be adult GED classes because those students have already been beaten down by life. Clickbait is not hard, and as you can tell from the content of the most popular current websites, you don't even have to be good. That could change soon but if your'e actually super knowledgeable about history or something then there are plenty of tangentially-related careers that could work. Writing descriptions for antique sales websites, consulting for museum curators, working with textbook writers (the holy grail) or the other things I mentioned.

Liberal arts majors are very much needed in purely capitalist careers. If you're anti-capitalist, you will end in misery. If you accepted your degree in an effort to further capitalism, you will be okay. It's more about personality and goals than major. People who want to sell art or something for art's sake are ridiculous but those who can use their creative skills to make money for others will succeed in american/euro-style capitalism.
>>
>>29228572
Most university material could be learned online anon, it's just that the courses give you a structured environment with support in order to learn it.

Also, one single part of a course isn't like music history theory, which may be a minor you can take. That's like one topic in the course I assume, like how geometry is just part of a maths degree.

High level arts degrees are just as hard as STEM ones too, they're just very very different topics, requiring completely different trains of thought. It's silly to compare them.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.