[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why re you wasting time on /r9k/ when you could be learning BASED
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10
File: Java_logo.png (7 KB, 259x259) Image search: [Google]
Java_logo.png
7 KB, 259x259
Why re you wasting time on /r9k/ when you could be learning BASED Java?
>>
>>29217318
>Java
TOP KEK java suckes and only fags code in java c++ better
>>
>>29217318
code in assembly like a man
>>
>>29217364
>>29217384
>t. people who don't get paid to write software
>>
File: of_sorts.gif (219 KB, 899x455) Image search: [Google]
of_sorts.gif
219 KB, 899x455
I'm into Idris at the moment (a dependently typed Haskell dialect, if you will).
I'm in the sciences and use Python and Matlab professionally. I've made an introductory course in Java... well I don't extremely like any of those 3 fuzzy languages, tbqh

To answer your question: I'm too tired right now for mental activities
>>
its boring
everything is boring
i wanna die mom
>>
>>29217409
your right i hire people to do that shit
>>
I already know it pretty well, actually.
>>
>>29217318
Java is boring. Really fucking boring. I'd rather program C/C++ but there's so few jobs for that.
>>
>>29217384
>tfw you're writing a java program to generate verilog and assembly test code for a soft processor
>>
>>29217318

Cause I don't want to be someone else's code bitch for the rest of my life. I'm getting an MBA instead
>>
>>29217318
Because I'm learning Python instead
>>
>>29218240
>he does it for free
Why?
>>
File: 1409444935643.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1409444935643.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>29218171
>mfw I managed to get one of those jobs
>>
>>29217318
im pretty good with computers but not coding. how do i go about learning code? any n00b languages?
>>
>>29218370
Don't do it. Learn Selenium and go into quality engineering instead
>>
i'm a noob, have been learning the last 7-8 months, did sicp, learnt a lot of python, did k&r for C, CLRS and other more minor stuff

I still don't know what language i should be using and am still learning so i don't really even have any projects

but i did like (((Scheme))) best
>>
>>29218406
i mean as a hobby, im studying to be a forensic pathologist. always been interested in code just dont know where to start.
>>
>>29218370
Java or python are both decent starter languages. Just google around and you can find plenty of tutorials.

>>29218406
>Selenium
>quality engineering
You want him to die of boredom? I mean, shit, someone's gotta do it but why would you volunteer for it?
>>
What does your job look like if you are programmer and work in a team?
Is your job to write a class or implement a function or find a bug? What do you actually do?
>>
>>29218437
any specific links? thanks man.
>>
>>29218490

"Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" book
>>
>>29218596
this one's actually breddy gud, tons of practical stuff
>>
>>29218490
w3schools usually has some decent info. I haven't gone through any of their java/python stuff so I can't say for sure it'll have everything you need though. Stackoverflow is also a good place to find answers to common problems.
>>
That's actually some good advice, I'm starting at a uni in September and am majoring in Comp Sci. Is Java really the bet language to learn first? I heard C is easy and more useful than Java
>>
>>29218455
I work for a team which develops and tests an embedded operating system.
At the moment I'm doing an internship where I'm pretty much just looking for bugs in the nightly testruns. I file a couple of emails covering new failures, file bugs, and figuratively jack off the rest of the time.
I've complained that this job feels like a downgrade compared to my other internships, where I spent the whole time writing automated tests. It looks like I'll finally start doing more of that sort of work starting next week.
I work on simple personal projects on my spare time.
>>
>>29218948
Do you work at LAM Research?
>>
>>29218948
What does a "typical programmer" do in his regular job?
>>
>java
>based
>>
>>29218915
>I heard C is easy and more useful than Java
no, java is much easier, and more useful in terms of being used by more people so it's established in more areas so to speak

focus of cs is not languages
i feel SICP is a very good intro to CS, even more than an intro slighly, but it will take you a summer of SERIOUS REAL devotion to go through it if you are a total total beginner
>>
>when you started programming at 13

Feels good man
>>
>>29218977
Not him, but here's my experience.
>get to work in the morning
>if your team is /agile/, go to scrum meeting (pretty much just announce what you're working on and ask for help if you need it)
>if you have some task already assigned to you or in progress, work on it
>otherwise, pull something off the backlog (list of tasks that the team would like to do but which haven't been assigned to anyone yet) and work on that
>have lunch
>go back to work
>maybe some meetings
>go home

Where "work" is mostly reading documentation, making design decisions, looking up answers to problems you hit, debugging, and then maybe 5-10% of time will be spent actually writing out code.
>>
Real niggers code in R
>>
>>29218490
>>29218876

its a start i guess, thanks fellas.
>>
Java is still alive and well right... right?
>>
>>29219075
Thanks family. Sounds pretty horrible.
If I may ask another question, when you apply to a programming job, how do you know you know enough to work as a programmer?
Even if you have a degree in CS, only a couple classes are actually programming right?
Are there some projects you have to be able to do to be considered knowledgable enough?
>>
>>29219179
It's still being used at the company I work in, but mostly for larger scale stuff.
>>
>>29219017
But how useful do you think the two will be in the future? I would hate to work so hard on learning a language and then find out that it soon became useless
>>
>>29217318

I already know it, C++, Javascript, and XML. Still don't have a programming job or even an interview yet.
>>
>>29218171
>few jobs for C++

What? Isn't C++ one of the most sought after languages?
>>
>>29217384

It can be done, but there is no point. C++ is damn near the same optimization level as ASM these days. With today's processors, you don't know the difference anyway.
>>
>>29217318
Objective programming sucks. Functional programming on the other hand... Learn Haskell.
>>
>>29218171

Java is more fun for me. C++ is a bitch because you have to download a library to do anything beyond couts.
>>
>>29219190
>only a couple classes are actually programming right?
Yep, only a few classes will actually be useful. The rest are only useful if you intend to dedicate yourself to academia, which 99% of students will not.
>Are there some projects you have to be able to do to be considered knowledgable enough?
You should have done/be working on some difficult/large projects, or you should have experience writing software at a tech company (if you haven't done an internship before you graduate, you will have a hard time getting work). I really can't stress enough how important it is to be doing work outside of school. Even if you're just a freshman and you hardly know jack shit, START APPLYING RIGHT THIS FUCKING SECOND. There are programs out there where if you are a student looking to be a co-op/intern, they won't mind teaching you on the job. I just started a really good job which I was only able to get because I started at this company as a co-op working there through my university.
>>
>>29219242
Not anymore.

https://www.sitepoint.com/best-programming-language-learn-2015-job-demand-salaries/
>>
>>29219280
haskell is a bitch if you're into imperative programming for a long time
or maybe i'm too dumb, whatever
>>
>>29218970
Intel.

>>29218977
Lots of emails and meetings, many of them over team standardization of things like commit messages, bug reporting etc. A lot of time spent coordinating with other team members to resolve issues that are blocking you from getting work done. A lot of bug fixing. Gossiping with your coworkers. A little development.
Most work at the three companies I've worked at was done in Linux, either through a Linux VM in Windows or with a Windows VM in Linux. Windows is for when management wants you to use bloated, proprietary business software instead of the free stuff that runs natively on your system and doesn't put you through licensing hell.
There's this fad development methodology called Scrum/Agile that everyone uses now. Basically it entails doing a stand-up meeting with your teammates once a day and dividing a project up into a sequence of fixed-length "sprints" in which you add a number of predetermined features informed by customer requirements ("user stories"). That's all there is to it in practice.
>>
>>29219343
I mean, the fourth and fifth place, that's not bad is it?

In any case, I thought so because my best friend is a quant and he told me he uses C++ a lot
>>
>>29219407
Yeah, it takes time when you're used to imperatives. I was lucky to have a Haskell course early at my university which helped a lot.
>>
>>29219242
>>29219343
>>29219481
>>29219208
>I would hate to work so hard on learning a language and then find out that it soon became useless

This is exactly the wrong attitude to have about programming languages. A language is just a tool, and you choose whichever one happens to be the right one for your current problem. Once you've learned one language of a given type, learning more of that type is extremely easy (e.g. if you know Java, learning another object oriented language is simple). So learn one or two languages really well, and be willing and ready to learn more as the need arises. If you know your stuff, then learning a new programming language shouldn't seem like a daunting task because you already know how it works, you just need to learn some syntax. Then you can just pick up any new language the situation demands of you and it won't be an issue.
>>
learn bash and source control (hg or git) very well. It's not something they teach in schools but it will give you a huge leg up when working in a team.
>>
File: czesc i chwala bohatyrom.jpg (88 KB, 900x877) Image search: [Google]
czesc i chwala bohatyrom.jpg
88 KB, 900x877
>tfw tried to learn coding but too lazy to make it

jfmsu famicon
>>
>>29219630
>source control
Seconding this. Source control is hardly mentioned in school, but it's a daily fact of life in the real world. It can be a bit confusing when you're just getting started with it so learning it early will help you.
>>
>>29219597
I won't be learning anyway, I have zero determination or discipline, I'm a mess.

Will prolly an hero soon
>>
>>29219309
Well, that's another carreer path that is closed then.
>>
>>29219666
Same basically. At least you got satan's trips. Maybe it's a sign to learn programming.
>>
>>29217415
>normal Haskell isn't dependently typed
excuse me
>>
>>29218915
Started CS at uni last year. We started with python, but moved to Java and i haven't looked back. Java is great because it doesn't have a high skill wall, but you can still accomplish a lot (more than python) with it
>>
I know it's not special but I got into "real" IT class just a year ago (started doing dynamic webdesign with php, html and css). I'm currently working on my presentation exam which is a hydration calculator and documenter. I'm using the jquery Mobile framework for it + workling with a db.
>>
>>29220099
Also just started learning Java so I'll be somewhat prepared for my Uni classes
>>
Java is awful.
>>
>>29220206

are you memeing on me son, or are you a professional with serious opinions?

tell me why
>>
>>29220257
Java runs like shit compared to C and its derivatives.
>>
File: x1f60f.png (20 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
x1f60f.png
20 KB, 160x160
>latest java in a nutshell
418 pages
>latest c# in a nutshell
1136 pages
>>
File: MSS Jav. 28 5.png (1 MB, 642x1000) Image search: [Google]
MSS Jav. 28 5.png
1 MB, 642x1000
Why re you wasting time learning Java when you could be learning BASED Javanese?
>>
>go to school for coding
>really enjoy learning doing it in class, grasp the concepts quickly
>can never bring myself to do anything outside of class
>barely scrape through this year
>feel like I've accomplished nothing

I wish I was NEET again desu
>>
Too stupid t b h
>>
>>29220406
pretty much exactly this feel.
I BTFO pretty much all my programming assignments/homework and finish in lab before everyone else but I still can't be bothered to do jackshit unless I'm absolutely forced to, I'd rather just fap and watch anime.
>>
>>29217318
>java

enjoy being an enterprise monkey senpai
>>
>>29217415
>not bozosort
>>
>tfw software qa cuck
Just end my life senpai. Time for me to get those big boys programmer job
>>
>>29220406
>>29220528
oh my god this 100%. I'm good enough in class but I hear all my classmates doing all these projects and apps and internships, once I finish my projects its vidya time for me
>>
>>29217318

>java

nice meme language
>>
>>29220571
You're basically getting paid to break the software bruh.
>>
File: main characther large file.png (6 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
main characther large file.png
6 KB, 600x600
>>29217318
I'm working on a game in java...
pic related
>>
>>29220626
It's boring as fuck since it is all manual testing
>>
>>29220576
>>29220406
>>29220406
I'll feel these feels with you, lads. This describes me. I have the same half-baked idea for a side project that I was going to do last summer but never did. Let's see if I finish it now.
>>
>>29217318
Oracle has given up on java. Ruby on rails is where it's at
>>
Not java related but I've stumbled over a guys channel creating a game in C++. He made this video at some point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1E0IADlYU
which is a rant on C++.
Reddit picked up on this video here https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/41xjtj/developer_rants_about_why_he_thinks_c_is_a_bad/

I don't understand the criticism or the rebuttal, but if someone skims through this who is more right?
>>
>>29220257
One small issue with Java (just off the top of my head) is that not being forced to think about garbage collection can lead to a design where a huge portion of the workload becomes garbage collection. Like if you're constantly generating and almost immediately destroying billions of tiny objects.
>>
>>29217318
If Java had true garbage deletion it would delete its self
>>
File: 1464794443917.png (98 KB, 612x491) Image search: [Google]
1464794443917.png
98 KB, 612x491
>learning a language
I don't get it, there is only so much you can learn about a language, it's mostly down to logic, performance and personal preference.
>>
>not coding in malbolge
>45^2-sqrt(81)
pleb
>>
>>29220630
Is it like that Undertale game?
>>
File: 1463293077238.jpg (50 KB, 600x576) Image search: [Google]
1463293077238.jpg
50 KB, 600x576
>>29221548

>t. cs 101 student

all of you weaboos are 100 years too early to debate c vs java
>>
I am, but it's just one of many languages that all have their uses dependent upon what you want to do. Was looking at Qt design today. Working on JSON and XML parsing currently.
>>
File: 45263.jpg (29 KB, 380x489) Image search: [Google]
45263.jpg
29 KB, 380x489
>>29222125
Besides the C vs. Java meme what other good languages are there that companies actually look for?

Just curious, memes fucked my brain logic all up so theres no way I could learn anything beyond the most basic scripts for bash
>>
>>29222157
JSON and XML parsing is the easiest shit in the world lad. All the info is presented neatly in text form.

Try HTML parsing.
>>
How do I make money coding?
>>
>>29222266
Yheah just started looking at it a bit today, trying to learn higher level programming since I've done a ton of firmware coding with C, VHDL, used assembly so the higher level languages are a bit different from having to deal with physical i/o, clocks, and serial transmission.
>>
>>29222330
Best way is to make apps and sell them on mobile stores

Or just get a job
>>
>>29222330
It's not coding that makes money its the actual application of coding that makes money. Profitable programs don't always need to be very good code just work in a way to be either sellable or allow you to make money some other way.
>>
>>29217384
Lmfao you fucking pleb. Unless you're writing in binary you're literally writing exponential runtime programs. O(1) master race cucks.
>>
>>29222339

Cool thanks.

Sorry if this is a noob question but what's the easiest type of app to sell? Or how do you come up with ideas for apps?
>>
>>29222402
Game market is good if you got a niche but otherwise make utility apps.
>>
>>29217415
>fuzzy
One thing I've noticed a lot with people who have a math/sciences background writing programs is that they seem to really dislike how the computer does not actually work like a "put in math formula -> get answer" machine
>>
Python is best language.
>>
I can't believe someone actually made this thread
>>
>>29221347
Except the garbage collection is designed to be efficient in these circumstances.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.