[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to record every conversation for review and improve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
I'm going to record every conversation for review and improve myself.

Is it good? Have any of you tried?
>>
>>29216541
Be aware of if you live in a "one party" or "two party" state.

If you are in a "one party" state, go ahead. If you are in a "two party" state, then recording without informing everyone in the area is "wiretapping".
>>
>>29216541

you'll hear how awful you sound from a neutral perspective. it could push you over the edge anon.
tread lightly and record the conversations of others instead.
>>
>>29216637
i wish i could find a site full of recorded natural conversations where no one knows they are being recorded. Like if someone placed a bug in a light fixture over a table in a cafe or something.
>>
>>29216637
I actually sound pretty similar whem I record myself. Does it mean anything?
>>
>>29216725
i didn't mean your voice. i meant the content... how awkward and different your topics/patterns/cadences are
>>
>>29216541
I have tried this. Firstly a digital dictaphone and a large memory card will last forever. Batteries also last a long time.

There are some downsides. Microphone - you might need to buy one of those spy mics to attach to outside of clothes, but i havent used one. There were only the largeish clip on mics at maplin last time I looked.

Putting the dictaphone inside a pocket is okay only if it doesnt move AT ALL. any slight movement will screw up the mic and distort the sound.

I might try one of those furry mic covers to cover the entire dictaphone and see if that helps in a pocket. It certainly helps when outside for lowering distortions caused by wind.

The main thing is that you need time to go over and listen to your conversations. Generally I would say leave the thing on all the time and not worry about starting and stopping. So, finding and reviewing is hard. But sometimes its actually good.

I get quite self conscious listening to myself speak. I cringe at myself. I find that a better way to improve would be to listen to yourself speak as you speak it. Often we, as humans, speak automatically and often say things that we dont actually remember speaking, so paying attention whilst we speak is also useful.

Good luck, OP.
>>
>>29216686
search for "field recordings" or "sound artist" and you will find artists and sound recordists who share their recordings. Some are of nature, of course, but many are of people indoors, or outside.
>>
>>29216767
Oh ok. I hear people talking about how differently they hear their own voice and I don't so it always interested me.
>>
>>29216867
it seems like mostly ASMR kinda stuff. Does anyone just surreptitiously record their family conversation while they sit down to a holiday dinner? That's what I want to hear...
>>
>>29217005
I guess this counts

http://www.negativland.com/dumb/blog/archives/category/family-tapes
>>
>>29217291
>http://www.negativland.com/dumb/blog/archives/category/family-tapes

ooh this is good!
>>
>>29216802
I'm OP thx a lot anon.

What do you mean when you say this?
>"I find that a better way to improve would be to listen to yourself speak as you speak it."

Can you elaborate?
>>
>>29217291
OMG I need more of this
>>
>>29217396

Just being more conscious of the words you use when you speak. Even things like ordering a burger, or saying thanks.

Often I found myself not noticing what I was actually saying. the words, the way I was saying it etc. Its why i got my that dicataphone, to help me reflect on how i use language.

I think I got more benefit from consious listening to myself at the time of speaking, than after the fact on a recording.

But your thread has encouraged me to give it another go (both methods!) so thanks
>>
>>29217938
lately I've noticed that anti-politeness to cashiers works well.

If they ask "how are you?" respond with something like "Well... I'm here". They get generic "I'm fine" answers all day long... when they hear something else, they see you as having a soul.

>tfw one day a cashier randomly wrote her phone number on a receipt without me asking
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.