[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is /r9k/ sympathetic towards people with certain mental disabilities,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1447992967892.gif (14 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1447992967892.gif
14 KB, 633x758
Why is /r9k/ sympathetic towards people with certain mental disabilities, like anxiety or depression but not those with others, such as eating disorders? Being overweight can be a result of a mental issue just as controllable as depression or anxiety.
>>
because they're a bunch of hypocrites
>>
Let's be real here, a lot of people are overweight without an eating disorder, or at least a significant one. I'm a 5'8" 250 pound lardass, but my only real eating issue is that I sometimes binge eat, but that doesn't even happen that often. Otherwise it's just eating too much because I like food.
>>
>>29210260
That's true, but some do, and /r9k/ looks down on them all the time.
>>
>>29210212
we are sympathetic, its /fit/ and /soc/ storming the threads.

Couldn't you tell by the generic "I'm "x" weight ( 180-220lb ) omg so obese how do people reach 300 pounds" posts mocking us?
>>
>>29210256
This

Everyone here just wants to set themselves apart from everyone when they're just as bad

Just look at the normie v robot arguments
>>
>>29210212
>Being overweight can be a result of a mental issue just as controllable as depression or anxiety.

Well, of course. However, anxiety and depression don't necessarily make one unattractive. A disorder that makes one obese does.

People feel bad about finding someone unattractive, and they do whatever they can to assuage their guilt in doing so. They reassure ugly men that they'll one day find someone who loves them or, failing that, convince themselves that the ugly man is a pseudocriminal "creep" who deserves all of the derision he receives.

People deal with the obese who have eating disorders in a similar fashion. They find fat people unattractive, and yet feel guilt because of it. So they convince themselves it couldn't possibly be the result of some eating disorder that makes losing weight an incredible struggle. Rather, they quickly attribute the obesity to laziness, lack of self control, and all of the rest. They convince themselves that a natural evil is actually a moral one, and so absolve themselves of any guilt regarding judgement. After all, we don't feel guilty about condemning a sinner for his sin, or a criminal for his crime.

We don't like condemning Nature for her sins. The moment we do so, we open ourselves up to the survivor's guilt that comes with realizing that although she could easily have cursed us like the man or woman afflicted with something like an eating disorder, Nature has blessed us instead.
>>
>>29210212
Being fat is pathetic and entirely avoidable using self-control.
>>
>>29211397
That's what I honestly think is a pitfall for anyone who's trying to change. If you find yourself exercising too much self-control, you're doing it wrong. The limbic system's impulses are far too easy to give in to and far harder to comtrol if they're really that reinforced.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.