[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is depression and psychiatry a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 4543867.jpg (195 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
4543867.jpg
195 KB, 625x416
Is depression and psychiatry a meme?
>>
mood disorders other than type I bipolar are a meme
psychotic disorders aren't memes either
>>
Yes and no
I thoroughly believe "chemical imbalance" depression to be mostly a meme, people are way to quick to shirk off environmental and completely normal causes of depression.

Psychiatry is literally centered around a book of memes. Psychiatry is not a meme but is a web of memes. These memes serve a social purpose, but I think they can be deleterious to an individual's development.
>>
>>29188010
I don't think so, they're are brain scans that can show different patterns of people with depression, schizophrenia, and normans.

I think most depression is a cause of Western society as people outside Western society are generally happier. I can agree with this as moving outside of the West I have virtually cured my depression and anxiety.
>>
As a person who has gone to a psychiatrist and been diagnosed with depression I have to say yes.
>>
>>29188066
things i've been "diagnosed" with (by licensed psychiatrists):
>depression
>social anxiety disorder
>generalized anxiety disorder
>borderline personality disorder
>rapid cycle bipolar
it's all a fucking meme i swear to god
>>
Fuck yeah its a meme, and everyone buys into it. For years I was told that depression was caused by my brain and not just being in depressing circumstances. One day I hopped on a freight train, began spending 99% of my time outdoors for months on end, and not complicating my life with modern day shit. My "depression" was GONE within days. And the jew psychiatrists still claim that somehow 20% of the population in first world countries have problems inherent to them and not just ones caused by living a life vastly different and more complicated than what we evolved for. Don't buy into the mental illness meme, believe in the societal illness reality
>>
>>29188110
This. I've been diagnosed with pretty much everything, they do it all within 10 minutes of looking at you. Got prescriptions for every class of drug you can name. In the end I didn't have anything
>>
>>29188010
If you take medication for these conditions and they have a predictable impact of those with the sort of neurological imbalances that create the symptoms used to describe these illnesses, then regardless of what you want to call it, it is what it is. "mental" illnesses are physical, just like any other illness. The problem is that with many of them the symptoms aren't clearly visible like other illnesses, and most people aren't really capable of comprehending something unless they see it in action.

>>29188063
>I think most depression is a cause of Western society as people outside Western society are generally happier.
I think you should spend less time posting and more time reading, because all you are communicating is that you have no fucking idea what you are talking about yet strangely wilfully commenting on it as though you do.

>>29188392
Yeah and people have died from malpractice while receiving cancer treatment, therefore cancer is just a "meme".
You people are just as emotionally driven and irrational as females.
>>
>>29188486
It's different when you're literally forced to see a psychiatrist
>>
>>29188486
Blah blah blah blah blah

This post is bait, disregarded and please do the same
>>
I guess, considering how little they look at you to find out whats wrong. 10-15minutes in an office and they went all "yeah you have depression and anxiety, take these pills, they cost alot, but heyy you gotta :^)"
Turns out simply hated the world, the people in it and wished that a meteorite would wipe all life from earth. That wasnt something any amount of pills would fix. So distancing myself from everyone was the only right thing to do.
>>
>>29188530
A bad doctor does not discredit an entire domain of medicine.

>>29188573
Fuck off back to your church, retard. Sticking your fingers in your eyes and screaming la la la doesn't actually alter reality.
>>
>>29188392
All my diagnoses have been done over a long period of time
Except for agoraphobia
I think my psychiatrist just wanted to add as much stuff as possible to my list so the hospital takes me

Borderline
Depressions
Social anxiety
>>
>>29188010

As a person who's spent large potions of his life deeply depressed, spent lots of time as a patient in psychiatrist/therapist offices and completed most of a 4 year psychology degree, no. Depression is very real. Psychiatry is a mixed bag full of some legitimate stuff and lots of complete bullshit.
>>
File: 1385591575102.gif (96 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
1385591575102.gif
96 KB, 140x140
>>29188010

No. But anything that's hard to prove attracts frauds. With depression you can't just blood test it. >>29188063 But there is physical evidence for it. Something like psychology that can get subjective and "open for interpretation" attracts the type of person who'd exploit that.

I don't throw out the whole honest subject of study because of a view dishonest individuals.

I've been diagnosed with clinical depression and thinking of it as an illness helps me cope with it. It helps explain weird behavior, like being sick would make you behave weirdly, being depressed explains the reasons I act the way I do. Not an excuse, but an explanation. Something to work with.

Depression is real. It's the great destroyer of men. It's what happens with the conscious mind declares civil war on itself, perhaps out of self-awareness gone awry. Blame yourself for your problems long enough and you'll just morph into a being, pure conflicted in every other aspect of life. A war that rages between your soul and spirit, that spills over the border and causes collateral damage to everything it touches. Rots it all way in waves of apathy and helplessness. Depression turns the world into dust and cobwebs, depression will out live and out last you as it's breath is last breath of every dying organism and it festers in the wombs of dead dreams and abandoned hopes.

Your pills throw a nicely colored quilt on Depression. It just serves to remind you there is a ghost underneath, waiting to devour you with a frown.
>>
>>29188701
>4 year psychology degree
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU GRADUATE, BE A SECRETARY?
HEY CAN YOU DO ME A FAVOR CAN YOU PSYCHOANALYZE ME
AHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>29188010
Not a meme if you have a doctorate in it.

It is a meme if you have anything lower than that.
>>
File: 1453295119023.jpg (116 KB, 500x584) Image search: [Google]
1453295119023.jpg
116 KB, 500x584
>>29189049
These words cut deep.
"Whats the point?" Is a question i ask thousand times a day to myself.
>>
Schizophrenia isn't a meme. I'm schizoaffective, and my grey matter has shrunk by 3% in the last year according to my neurologist. Schizophrenia is different from other mental illnesses: it's the literal rotting of the brain
>>
>>29188010
>psychiatry

Depression is not a meme. Antidepressants are a meme and they break your brain, oftentimes permanently.
>>
File: 1455579414250.jpg (106 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1455579414250.jpg
106 KB, 612x612
>>29189203
>it's a meme without the meme paper
>no mention of experience helping patients

do i have to say it?
>>
>>29189830
No i dont give a shit about psychiatry.

What i meant was doctorate is when you actually get enough education and influence to be able to do real trials and research for new psycho active drugs and stuff.
I mean, its pretty cool to research chemicals that release stuff in your brain that can change peoples lives.
>>
>>29189928
yeah real fucking cool, thanks for the erectile dysfunction, kike.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.