[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job interviews OP pls nerf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1459041761032.png (218 KB, 300x366) Image search: [Google]
1459041761032.png
218 KB, 300x366
>invited to job interview
>says he'll be with me in five minutes
>whatever
>he comes in with my printed resume
>asks me questions like do you know excel
>the words Java and C++ mean nothing to him
>asks if I have "internet affinity"
>interview eventually becomes awkward because all of his questions are redundant
>we will call you

why they do dis

I shave and put on nice clothes, then I waste time and money on commute and they can't even read the resume for ten minutes before they invite you... that wasn't the first time either. Do they just look at your picture and go "hey this guy looks like a guy he might be the guy"
>>
okay but do you know excel
>>
plot twist: op can't use excel and is butthurt
>>
If you are serious op than I would honestly reccomend you at least know all of these, with an emphasis on sort and formulas/data analysis:
www.excellentones.com/resources/7-Things.html
Also take some tests online and find your words per minute you can type. If you really want to fill up space learn mail merge and developer tools/word macros.

I fet that you want a java job but if you are applying for a normal office jobs these things go much further.
>>
>>29177363
Also I get that this is the board thats on the spectrum and all but did you even look at your job description...or prepare at all?
>>
File: joe_why.jpg (52 KB, 287x499) Image search: [Google]
joe_why.jpg
52 KB, 287x499
If you are looking for a coding job and they don't know C++ then you are at the wrong place. My job I had four different interviewers, and they all asked me different tech questions, like how I reverse a string of characters, or how do you avoid collisions in a has table.

If they don't even know about basic languages you don't want to work there.
>>
>>29177414
This. But I was assuming op was just applying to a regular office job and just started blurting out programming languages he knew completely unprompted
>>
>>29177363
>>29177414
Don't take the C++ too serious I just meant that using office tools like excel shouldn't even come up if he had actually looked at my resume, I even had a normalfag office job before where people thought CTRL+F is magic.

I'm not good enough for coding jobs yet so I apply for "normal" office jobs like what I did before. The point is don't read my resume in front of me and make me commute for nothing.
>>
>>29177531
Why shouldnt they?
Anyone can write excel on their resume but clearly the company uses excel and wants to know if you actually know it to their standards
>>
>>29177531
C++ != excel

No idea why you were going for a job that doesn't require C++ and Java and you specified C++ and Java.

It's like going for a job as an accountant and specifying that you can do Jujitsu.
>>
>>29177672
>>29177691
Alright looks like I just had the wrong idea about that. I don't know if you guys are serious but asking about office stuff like excel shouldn't even be a big deal when you have four years of experience in an office environment and teaching yourself programming on the side. But it looks like I'm assuming too much.

The question remains why you get invited to an interview and the guy only starts reading your resume when you get there. I always thought when you get invited it means you passed the formal qualifications with your resume.
>>
>>29177800
You are right about that OP. But now you know that it's probably a shitty place to work, so you dodged a bullet.
>>
Most interviews I've gone to where they ask if I know excel, they usually make you do an sample
>>
>>29177827
No hes not right. He is so full of himself for halfway teaching himself c++ (a language most courses teach to proficiency over less than 2 months) he believes himslef to be above answering questions about skills he claims to already possess at an interview for a job where they need him to use them. Just because a place asks questions about something you have on your resume doesnt mean its a "shittyy place to work" the only ones who dodged a bullet were the employers
>>
>>29177800
How do they know you have 4 years of experience? Plenty of people lie, they have to be sure
>>
>>29177916
Alright calm down. You know what? My old resume even had excel, word, etc on it and then my friends laughed at me and told me it's not necessary to even mention that anymore in currentyear AD. I had a job before where I used all the usual office tools. So apparently it still is worth mentioning, noted.

>>29177977
Employer's reference from my previous job, it's all in the application I sent.
>>
>>29178053
So because your friends said something its true? And the argument isnt if you should have put it on your resume, you are the one fixated on the fact that it being there has any bearing on your interviewer asessing your excel proficiency. You started iff by saying that because its there they shouldnt ask now you are trying to say that its so implied that you shouldnt even put it on your own resume and they Shouldn't ask.Also do you know how references work?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.