[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw relatives you've known from birth get dementia >tfw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 474628.jpg (73 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
474628.jpg
73 KB, 1440x960
>tfw relatives you've known from birth get dementia
>tfw they initially seem normal other than being slow to understand stuff
>eventually they stop recognising you
>it's like their entire life never happened
>it's like you never existed to them
Is there any worse feel on this earth?

Who here /adventure before dementia/?
>>
It's just like if they died. If they're not consciously aware of their life experiences, it's as though they never occurred. That's the anthropic principle in action.
>>
My wife and I dropped everything to move to a different state to take care of my grandmother with demenetia.

It's horrible. I live in Oregon, and am 26, and have already made sure that I can assisted suicide as soon as I show symptoms.
>>
My grandma has dementia. I spend every day with her now, I make her breakfast and lunch I give her pills and help her get dressed. She never knows what's going on and barely says anything coherent. There's nothing scarier than thinking one day I might be in the same position, completely incompetent not even able to write my own name. Some days she seems happy but most of the time she just seems confused and sad, I know it's wrong but sometimes I wish she would just die not for me but for her
>>
>>29158681

It feels like to me that they have become NPCs in a video game.
>>
>>29158681
I used to visit her (she was far away) every weekend basically from the day I was born, by the time I was 16 she had lost her mind. It killed me to know that a person can still be alive and not recognise someone who they spoke to for so long.

I'm not an emotional bitch, but it kills me to know that memory can be wiped out so easily. Nothing else makes me so upset.

A story that kills me the most is to know a different family member was watching his wife be taken a way in an Ambulance because of unrelated health stuff. He was shouting into the house to said family member asking her to get some money for the Ambulance guy (he was rich and humble, healthcare is free here), not understanding it was his own wife in the ambulance.

How fucked can your day to day life be to not know your soulmate is being taken away?
>>
>>29158898

I just want you to know you aren't alone. I am drinking and smoking cigars so I can't respond right now. But I'm doing it to get away from the very grandmother I love who is fighting this affliction. It is hard, every day trying to remain composer. Wish I could stay and chat but I cant. But I'll leave you with some words.

In spite of what she forgets, the crazy that she shows. It is important no matter what to keep her happy in that moment. Every moment of help, support, and love, is a moment they aren't living with their failing body and mind unable to comprehend the horrors happening to them.
>>
>>29159024
>can't comprehend the horrors happening to them

If the bearer cannot perceive horror, then horror it is not.

To you, yes. But since you possibly only exist in the moment to them, you're irrelevant.

Sorry man, but the truth > muh prideful attitude towards the entire situation
>>
File: feell.jpg (67 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
feell.jpg
67 KB, 500x456
>>29158670
I had a nightmare that my grandma had dementia, it was terrible. I feel for you op
>>
>>29158670
> all opening gifts at christmas
> grandad sitting in corner
> opens up a calendar
> he recognizes one of the photos
> gets a memory flashback of his forgotten dead wife
> "i'll never get to go back there again"
> starts crying
> family say its ok and try to keep the mood light

hit me harder than it should have. dude is 90 and went through the war also a fucking asshole desu, but feels like this transcend those kind of things
>>
File: image.png (108 KB, 630x686) Image search: [Google]
image.png
108 KB, 630x686
>About to fap and go to bed
>Come across this thread

God fucking dammit r9k. This shit is too real for me right now. My grandmother is going through this. Shit is absolutely awful.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 800x800
I recently went to my great-aunt's 90th birthday party. This is how it went.

>Go up to say hello, happy birthday etc.
>Oh wow (would say anon, but she didn't remember my name) you're so tall! How old are you again?"
>I tell her, along with some stuff that's going on in my life
>"Aw that's nice"
>Wonder off
>End up back near her 10 or 20 minutes later
>Oh wow, you're so tall! How old are you again?"
>I tell her, along with some stuff that's going on in my life
>"Aw that's nice"

Sigh.

Pic related.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.