[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't some of your turn to Christiantiy? A lot of you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 489x699) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 489x699
Why don't some of your turn to Christiantiy? A lot of you are depressed man children and sit here complaining about it all day but don't do anything to fix it. God will help you.

This thread isn't a prompt to a "le reddit religion debate" it's simply a question.
>>
I would rather be sad but truthful to myself as opposed to being happy but delusional.
>>
>>29152228

god doexn't exist
>>
>>29152228
Already tried for like a year. Was a news years resolution. It ended with men getting into tens of thousands of debt and no way to pay it back. as well as no gf. Thanks.
>>
>>29152265
That "truthfulness" is probably going to land you sitting at your desk with a gun to your head.

Don't deny gods embrace, he loves you yet you don't love him back?
>>
Idk, Why should I turn to Christianity? How will knowing there's a bearded man in the sky that told people 2000 years ago ludicrous things about how to live life change anything in anyones current situation?
>>
>>29152303
You don't join the church in expectation to get a gf. Any I imagine men being in debt isn't a result of the church but your wrong doings
>>
>>29152228
I see no evidence for a god,
although the capitalist current society sure do suck ass.
I would rather have witch-huntings and shit than living a whole life for this worthless piece of shit society.
>>
>>29152339
I used to be in the "/r9l/ situation" But then I accepted God. And my life went uphill from then on. You get to give charity and love. People will say that it doesn't make you fell good. They're lying, it really makes your soul feel good. Also if you go to church you can interact with the people who go and make new friends.
>>
>>29152333
Because I want to see the world as it is. If the world is cruel and unfair with no greater meaning, then so be it.
>>
Tried. I guess I don't see it as that big a deal at this point. I'm a drug addict, a loser, a lazy piece of shit. Sure the good book says I'll be forgiven for all my sins as long as I am true in my repentance. But I look in my heart and I'm not. I don't want to be one of those Christians begging forgiveness for sins they damn well know they'll be doing more of next week. I look inside myself and think I'm fucking ruined. I don't want to explain it because that just means I'm going to bring other people down with me.

So I'm at this point where I'm just trying to lead a simple life. Discipline myself, stop worrying about the end of the world or what have you, take things one thing at a time. The seed of god doesn't take hold when the soil is barren, or full of thorns and rocks. I'll take the ideas as good advice (don't go running after pussy, don't retreat into imaginary realities) but other than that, I really don't know.

>>29152339
>What is allegory?
>being inside all day, jerking off to cartoons and blowing all your time and energy on bleep bloops and images of softcore gore is not a ludicrous way to live
>>
>>29152430
Why? Do you get a kick of the worlds suffering?

You can help make it a better place by doing holy work.
>>
>>29152443
Not to cast judgement on you brother, but I feel as if you didn't truly repent with you emotions. I feel as if you didn't fully embrace the holiness of God. Don't give up on the church. God is testing your faith, don't let him down.

I will pray for you, brother.
>>
>>29152465
I don't know why. Willingly deluding myself is just against my nature.
>>
Because it's not real? Won't help.

Tons of other ways that can actually change one's life (exercising, better diet, keeping a routine) than believing in something that is not real simply because "it makes me feel better".

Besides, Christianity is for normalfags.
>>
>>29152563
But you've convinced yourself that the world is only covered by a veil of death and despair. You do not wish to open that veil and see the true happiness and love that is in it?
>>
>>29152228
I prayed to God for a girlfriend since I was 14 and he's never given me one.
>>
>>29152591
Christianity encouraged me to do all of those things. God gave me the will power to.
>>
>This thread isn't a prompt to a "le reddit religion debate" it's simply a question.

I can't convert to something I don't believe in. Am I just supposed to delude myself until I start believing that horseshit?
>>
I've been volunteering at my church for the past year and am currently in the airport waiting for my flight to Washington so I can serve at a Bible Camp I have served at previously. But still no gf.
>>
>>29152598
Rather than opening a veil it would be like closing one.
>>
>>29152680
Good work anon.

How does doing gods work make you feel?
>>
>>29152228
PLEASE LOVE ME GOD
>>
>I don't believe in god
>but he loves you, why don't you love him back?

Why don't you convert to Islam? Allah loves you, you ungrateful piece of shit.
>>
>>29152779
Because Allah is a false god.
>>
File: 1464018540369.jpg (48 KB, 460x495) Image search: [Google]
1464018540369.jpg
48 KB, 460x495
You Christians, Jews and Muslims are vile. You speak of peace and salvation but you turn against your own and murder innocent people because "DEUS VULT" Eat shit and die demon
>>
>>29152811
>a false god.

You are being redundant.
>>
>>29152815
So what's your argument? That without religion there would be no war?
>>
>>29152811

Every god any human has ever believed in is a false god. If a sentient creator is responsible for the universe, no religion has gotten him right.
>>
>>29152878
You are being in denial.
>>
File: IMG_20160607_211818.jpg (54 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160607_211818.jpg
54 KB, 500x400
Not quite there yet. It's really hard for me to believe there is a God, but existence is too absurd which makes me doubt the idea that there isn't something greater.

I have been to my friend's church his dad is a pastor at, went to his youth group he helps out at, and have been praying ever so often. I'm still where I was in terms of beliefs, but maybe something will eventually convince me of God's existence/non existence.
>>
File: China 010.png (1 MB, 861x868) Image search: [Google]
China 010.png
1 MB, 861x868
>>29152228
>God will help you.

Changing will help you. I was a depressed robot now. I am a depressed normie now. I managed to become a normie by changing.

God/ prayer/ hesychia meditation helps a bit with the depression. But not much.

Religion is NOT a "all will be well" pill.
And btw. scripture doesn't promise that.

>>29152339
Cause you are free'd from the reign of sin and placed under the will of god, what at least in theory is a possibility to turn the bondage of into the liberation of the will.

At least in theory.

>>29152443
>But I look in my heart and I'm not.

Have you ever spoken with a priest/ pastor about it, and received personal confession + absolution? It does help. A lot.

And he knows most likely some rel. organisations that can help you with your addiction.

Not only Catholics offer personal confession. Confessional Lutherans & Orthodox do so as well, and I guess a lot of other confessions as well, if you specifically ask for it.
>>
>>29152980
>but maybe something will eventually convince me of God's existence/non existence.

Have you asked god to reveal himself?
Have you tried visiting an Catholic Eucharistic adoration?
Have you tried visiting a meditative Taize Service?
Have you tried Orthodox Hesychia Meditation/ the Jesus Prayer?
>>
>>29153025
>Isaiah 3:10
>Tell the righteous it will be well with them, for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds.
>>
>>29152228

My sect of Christianity wasn't so into Venus worship.
>>
>>29152228
>complains about lack of virgin women
>won't join the only group with virgin women
R9k in a nutshell
>inb4 Christian women are whores
>>
File: 1459802805413.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1459802805413.png
38 KB, 499x338
So all I have to do is bang my head against the wall until all of that pesky critical thinking and basic common sense leaves my head and I can live happily in blissful ignorance?

No thanks.
>>
I have no problem with devout people who practice their religion without forcing it on others.

But whenever I read a thread about someone trying to convince you to convert, I can't help but feel that these people are fucking retards.

They can't form a coherent argument, and just repeat the same thing over and over, as if trying to convince themselves that their desert sky god, made up by stupid savages living in a primitive time is actually real.
>>
>>29153162

Don't forget devoting yourself to only a very specific organization out of thousands who want money and power above all and following their completely arbitrary rules and customs.
>>
>>29153101
Nice context less verse picking you did there.

Both Ijob and Ecclesiastes make it pretty clear that good things happen to bad people as well, and bad to the good. The Tun-Ergehen-Zusammenhang isn't a thing, and the NT even makes it clear that bad thing will happen to you BECAUSE you are a believer (the whole carrying your cross thing, remember?)

God ain't a vending machine.

>>29153160
>the only group

I am pretty sure other religions have them as well. Muslims for example.
>>
>>29153245
You literally just described government
>>
>>29153280

Yes. So why the fuck would I want a second government just for my head?
>>
>>29152228
I turned to theism, but not Christianity.

And I didn't do it to help myself. I came to the honest conclusion that it is true, by reading the best arguments and picking them apart until I was convinced they were bulletproof.

Then I remembered that I always knew anyway.

God to me is very strange. I have primary, deep knowledge that God exists, but I buried it with "logic" until the logic reminded me what I already knew under the logic.
>>
>>29153291
Because giving money to the church isn't mandatory and you won't be locked in jail for not following its rules.
>>
>>29153341

Yeah and it took the better part of two millenia to beat those things you just mentioned out of them.
>>
I love the Blessed Mother.
>>
>>29153328
>bulletproof

Never go full retard.

>>29153341

You're not really doing a good job of promoting christianity.
>>
>>29153278
Actually the whole "carrying you cross thing" doesn't exactly mean carrying a burden with you to your grave. It's more about giving your life to following Jesus. So it's not about "being depressed until you die" it's about being willing to sacrifice what you have for Jesus.
>>
>>29152228
Because then I wouldn't be able to do drugs, anon.
>>
>>29153389
They honestly are bulletproof, if you accept the premises and underlying way of reasoning, which I do.

It's a strange fact about God that people usually don't even investigate the arguments beyond surface level. I've been somewhat trained in philosophy so I can see that it's well-structured reasoning, but people think it's sophistry because they have already assumed the conclusion is false.

People really don't want life to have a simple and boring meaning, even when they're suicidal because it doesn't. It's very odd. "Rebellious" is a good word, Christianity got that one right.
>>
>>29153353
>hey guys I know they don't do it now. BUT THEY USED TO DO IT SO HAHA ARGUMENT INVALID
>>
>>29153445
>They honestly are bulletproof, if you accept the premises and underlying way of reasoning, which I do.

This is the definition of delusion.
>>
>>29152811
Just as fake as your god is
>>
File: 1422966206100.jpg (90 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
1422966206100.jpg
90 KB, 600x411
>>29152228
i refuse to reward the god that cursed me with life and made me a beta with my time and money
>>
>>29153445
>if you accept the premises

If I have to accept your premises, then it's not really bulletproof, is it?

But by all means - go ahead and present us with your bulletproof logic.
>>
>>29153502
The premises are perfectly sensible to me, though. Such as "There cannot be an infinite chain of contingent causes.", or "There are objective moral values".
>>
>>29153575
>There cannot be an infinite chain of contingent causes

But that doesn't mean that god was the first cause.

>There are objective moral values

You can't justify this.

Look, I'm not trying to convert you. I'm just asking that you show some humility and don't call your reasoning "bulletproof". You WILL make a fool of yourself if you ever find yourself in the company of halfway intelligent people.
>>
>>29153575
>"There cannot be an infinite chain of contingent causes."

Premise based on lack of knowledge about our universe and causality.

>"There are objective moral values".

Opinion.
>>
>>29153644
>But that doesn't mean that god was the first cause.
No, you DEFINE "god" as a certain object. You don't bring all your baggage with you, you're correct that that would be illogical.

And I know there are objective moral values. That's one of the basic things I know.

>You WILL make a fool of yourself if you ever find yourself in the company of halfway intelligent people.
I work at a pure mathematics department, and this sort of thinking is common. In fact pure mathematicians seem very inclined to theism for some reason.
>>
>>29153644
>implying that intelligence isn't subjective
>>
It's a stupid religion, why not become a Buddhist so at least you can retain some respectability (ask any Christian and they've always had the experience of doubt, it's like training your brain to accept the God delusion, whereas in Buddhist you can practise the benefits of religion without the deity aspect).
>>
>>29153705
>No, you DEFINE "god" as a certain object

If I believe that the first cause was just raw matter, then it doesn't really apply. If we're talking about pure energy, I don't think it's fair to define that as "god".

>And I know there are objective moral values. That's one of the basic things I know.

So, you know that because you know it, because you just know it? Ok.

I don't understand how you can display such arrogance. As a mathematician, I would expect more of you, but even to me it is clear that you are extremely oppinionated, and have strong beliefs. Which in itself would be fine, but you go one step further and claim to have a bulletproof argument, while it is clear that you most certainly do not.
>>
>>29153799
>If I believe that the first cause was just raw matter, then it doesn't really apply. If we're talking about pure energy, I don't think it's fair to define that as "god".
It gets complicated, but the argument is solid all the way through. It can't be energy or matter, because those are both contingent. If you really dig into it, you'll discover that it can only be a mind.

>As a mathematician, I would expect more of you, but even to me it is clear that you are extremely oppinionated, and have strong beliefs.
Nobody has stronger beliefs than a mathematician! We are used to proving things all day.

Smart people usually have very fixed beliefs, but have reasons for holding them. Not saying I'm really smart, but that is my experience.
>>
Judge not, that ye be not judged OP
>>
>>29153865
>It gets complicated, but the argument is solid all the way through. It can't be energy or matter, because those are both contingent.

So, raw matter spontaneously coming into existance is less likely than a sentient, all powerful, all knowing being?

>If you really dig into it, you'll discover that it can only be a mind

Well, I have come to the exact opposite conclusion. It's up to you to prove me otherwise.

>We are used to proving things all day!

You know, I'm really trying hard to have a civil conversation with you here, but you are pretty good at pushing my buttons. You haven't proven anything. And you expect me to accept your baseless premises, without justifying them.
>>
>>29152228
because they're morals are retarded. I've had christcucks tell me I should keep a relationship with my crack dealer father simply because it's in the bible. Christcucks would blow up building if some hallucination told them to
>>
>Why don't some of your turn to Christianity?

This is probably a troll post but I'll bite.

I read the bible regularly and I'm a hardcore atheist. *tip* There I did it. Fuck off. I recall Job where his friends say that you can't blame God for your misfortune because he is supposedly just and good.

Really the whole Book of Job is saying you cannot argue with God and gives shit reasons why you should believe in him because he is God. If something bad happens, God is testing you. If something good happens to you, God awards you. God is omnipresent and omnipotent. Really all I see in Christianity, everything has a purpose and everything has a reason. Don't complain because the world is just.

Now I can do the same thing as an atheist without a fancy bearded man in the sky saying he loves me while condemning me to hell forever. I can say I got one shot at life to make the best of everything. No one cares about me and only I have the power to change my life.

What you supposedly want a robot to do is pray that everything is going to be alright and indulge in confirmation bias. "I did something today, thanks God. :^)" Sure, you can say that because he believes in God and attributes his happiness because God thanks to placebo effect. There's nothing wrong with that except the robot is most likely be an atheist and can't force himself to believe in an imaginary sky daddy.

1/2
>>
>>29153992

In fact, it's healthier to tell the robot the truth that he's a piece of shit and because of his negative thinking, it leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy. "I think, therefore I am." Robots need to be shown the reality of the situation. Robots already believe in stupid delusions that people deserve girlfriends and everything is determined by genetics. These delusions already affect the robot by lashing out angerily at society even though society doesn't care. It's pointless. It shows that the robot is powerless and leads to this spiral of depression. Remember you're reaching out to one of the most depressed groups too because they believe everyone is out to get them. What if your God shows them that even believing in God, their situation still has not improved. There goes your stupid ideology. At least my ideology can't be thwarted. But sure whatever, waste your time trying to convert robots into a deluded state where they are at the mercy of an angry, jealous God.

2/2
>>
>>29153943
>Well, I have come to the exact opposite conclusion. It's up to you to prove me otherwise.
Actually I have to leave, I'm only on here because I fell back into a bad habit.

I hope you at least got the sense that I can a very clear set of arguments in my head, and that there is some sublety here that you haven't considered before. The arguments are not hard to find, you can just Google them and wrestle with them yourself. And of course you only need one argument! These aren't probabilistic arguments, they're supposed to be bulletproof.

But as I said, it turned out that I already knew that God existed, and I was just pretending not to know. So it's possible that is true for you too. You might not need arguments, you might just need a strange moment of reflection.

Goodbye.
>>
>>29154010
>>29153992
So basically your argument is that robots are self centred narrow minded babies? Because it sounds about right.
>>
>>29154030

I wish I could reach through the computer screen and throttle you until you reach enlightenment or run out of oxygen. I don't care which.
>>
>>29154030

You are shit at even presentign a single argument and you don't know what "know" means. You are twisting words to mean whatever you see fit.
>>
>>29154050
I don't really agree with that statement. Say it without the meanness and I might agree with you.
>>
File: 1435571027050.jpg (43 KB, 446x456) Image search: [Google]
1435571027050.jpg
43 KB, 446x456
If there's a hell, we're all going there.
>>
>>29154179
Robots are very unique people
>>
>>29154269

That's dishonest.
>>
File: Imgur-51c532.png (187 KB, 500x693) Image search: [Google]
Imgur-51c532.png
187 KB, 500x693
>>29152228
>Why don't some of your turn to Christiantiy?

because people don't believe something until they are convinced of it, atheists are atheist because they aren't convinced by any religion

going through the motions of a religion isn't going to make you believe and certainly isn't going to make you feel the love and contentment that, for example, christians feel due to their 'knowledge' that god is real and loves them and has a plan for them

also pic related is me after I just found out like two hours ago that my gf (who is christian) accepts evolution... except when it comes to humans, even using the "it's just a theory" argument
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 181x278
There is only one man worth following, he died for the sins of normies. The prophet Elliot warned you all of degeneracy and how horrible women are. Repent and join the Holy Order of the Prophet Elliot.
>>
>>29154345

He killed the very people that he was trying to save. That says a lot about what he thinks of us.
>>
>>29154278
A lot of Theist believe that evolutions only occurs in other animals.

Also
>gf

Get out Normie
>>
>>29154582
No, Lord Elliot focused his efforts on cleansing SB of Chad.
>>
>>29152228
how does god help anyone if he's completely hands off?
>>
>>29155863

He killed 3 Asian-Americans that were very beta. Why did he do this?
>>
I go to a college in the south and most of them believe that evolution and christianity are still compatible. the logic is usually that god wouldnt expect a bunch of dumb jews in the bronze age to understand it, so he told the genesis story to them as a metaphor, something they could understand. its usually the older folks who didnt grow up with the concept that are resistant to it.
>>
File: virgin-mary-can-fix-this.jpg (40 KB, 515x332) Image search: [Google]
virgin-mary-can-fix-this.jpg
40 KB, 515x332
>>29152228
Because most of these people, for all their other faults, are simply too intelligent to buy the absurdities required.
>>
>>29152228
God doesn't exist, your death cult isn't going to help anyone.

While we're at it, why don't you try and prove god exists? I'm up for a reddit style debate with you about how full of shit your religion is.
>>
>>29152228
Say what you will about christfags, but the truth is that church is the only place you can find virgin women nowadays.
>>
>>29155885
Elliot's ways are mysterious, his wisdom beyond comprehension. Trust in him and you will be rewarded.
>>
>>29155954
No need to be so edgy son
>>
>>29152228
Because New Ageism makes me happier, makes me have hope for the future as well as knowing that I can improve it if I improve my spirituality.
Better than believing that you'll get sent to eternal damnation if you do one thing wrong.
>>
>>29152228
im on the fence to be honest. im not a christian but do believe in God. Ive seen things that have restored my faith in him. i know i might not be in the best predicament right now ( i blame myself for my shitty actions, i have to own up to it like a man) but atleast im not a virgin and im working towards being a forensic pathologist. back to the whole God thing, I was bullied in HS by your typical chads (two in particular) i fought back and stood up to them but they would gang up on me and just make my life hell (they would purposely go after girls i liked, spread rumors about me and beat the shit outta me when i fougjt back) well long story short i left that HS, bitched at God because life was unfair etc. moved on and figured that those rich chads grew up and had a perfect life, i found out later that one was a few months shy of graduating university and had one of those corporate high paying comfy jobs lined up after graduation, he was kidnapped and murdered in mexico when he went there for spring break. The other's GF died in a car crash and a few years later died a slow painful death due to cancer. i can only say it was God bringing down justice on them, they made my life a living hell. but by that happening to them it restored my faith in God. fuck those mother fuckers, i went to their graves and spit and laugh on them.
>>
>>29155957
>implying nuns are virgins
they become nuns after their teenaged years
>>
>>29156785
God's judgement is reserved for the rest of eternity my friend, not this world. I'm glad it brought you closer to Him, but He owes you nothing at the end of the day. This world is hell so we can experience eternity.
>>
>>29157072
yeah man i get that, it only makes sense to be judge at the end. when we are living we can go either way. it did, it restored my faith and showed me that justice is sometimes prematurely served to people that are really fucked up. i know he doesnt owe me nothing took me a while to realize it. i would be a little bitch and blame him for everything when it didnt go my way,he gave us freewill after all so i dont expect him to intervene in everything but it was really nice that he made those assholes pay, they fucked with me because i wasnt one of them (which is a fucked up reason to ruin someones life) i didnt do anything to deserve the shit i got. that experience changed my perspective in life i stopped being a whiny edgelord and took charge of my life. i might be a bot (im kinda awkward, a loner and have no gf) but im took charge of my life stopped self loathing and try to keep a positive attitude despite me being a bot. it worked ended up getting laid, changed my self loathing ways and im 1 year away from finishing college. everything alright right now. like coming to r9k because the people here know what i go through.
>>
>>29157278
proud of you bro, im the same way. im a normie now but ill always hold a special place for r9k and my robot childhood
>>
>>29157423
thank you man, hope all is well with you too. i can say im a recovering cyborg (kinda weird for the normies not weird enough for the robots) just saw my time as a bot as a slump. when youre at the bottom all you can do is go up. all i had left was the hope to make something out of my shitty situation and hope was all i needed. if it happened to me it can happen to anyone here. 4chan in general will always have a place in my heart, anonymous users on the internet are the only "friends" i have.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.