[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to keep up with memes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
I've been contemplating about acceptance of memes on 4chan since I started visiting /b/ in like 2009.
When I started coming to 4chan, I learned to lurk moar: the act of shutting the fuck up, learning the rules and not being cancer by browsing without posting. Naturally, many memes caught my eye, original as the were back then, and still funny, from before 9gag ruined them forever. So I saw Cool Face, and I saw some puddi, some DESU, and just stuff. Then I saw people arguing about newfaggotry. "Post the memes from when you first came to 4chan to prove how old of a fag you are!"
>But how do you know if the meme you saw today was made up yesterday, or in the early days of 4chan? How do you know if puddi was fresh, or if it was a recurring meme for years? I didn't.
So times moved on and new memes emerged. Some were natural, some were forced hard down our throats. As the course of life took me, I couldn't frequent 4chan as much as I used to, and suddenly I felt completely out of touch with whatever meme came out that week, or month. One day I arrive and I see doge. How can I tell how long it's been around? Where did it come from? No clue. It's not like you can ask, because you'd get called a newfag and never actually get an answer.
Luckily, I found Know Your Meme. For as much cancer as it supports, it allowed me to digest new crap that surfaces on 4chan behind my back.

Recently, I began seeing some pictures of a guy who seems very agitated about something, as if he's trying to heave out a hairball. It always seemed like something about womyns, or gamergate. I began seeing edits of the picture, and then crude MSPaint renditions of it. So I just avoided it. Marked as one of "those" memes, I didn't pay it much attention.
Last week I saw a guy mentions "aids skrillex" in a Skype group. I thought he meant simply "skrillex", because he's pretty aids already. Skrillex talk isn't important talk, so I tuned it out.

>cont
>>
>>29140973
TLDR tbqh
>>
>>29140973
But today... I came across a "If you see this picture while scrolling... post [text]" image with the words "AIDS SKRILLEX" written in bold red letters. It connected with the Skype mention, and just then I figured there was a meme called "Aids Skrillex" which I was completely oblivious to. When I looked for it in KYM, it also connected me to Carl the Cuck - the image of the SJW-looking hairball-hurling MSPaint-rendered man.
Two memes that were around for a while now, but I had absolutely no name to attach to them, or context to give them.

So how is it done? From one anon to the others, how do you keep up with memes?
>>
>>29140981
TL;DR Trying to understand how 4chan's userbase manages to keep itself up to date with the ever changing, always evolving, memes.
>>
Memes are the only thing that make me laugh these days tbqhmf
>>
>>29141062
The game doesn't change all that quickly 3bh. All you do is wander about an imageboard and the pay attention to how the memes are used, then try using them yourself to see if you get them, and if you're really creative maybe you will make variants or even a new meme.

>>29141030
/pol/ is an industrious source of memes now after realising it was useful for their propaganda.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.