[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I met a guy on /v/ who is convinced that people only bully others
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1439326809525.jpg (340 KB, 1000x1250) Image search: [Google]
1439326809525.jpg
340 KB, 1000x1250
I met a guy on /v/ who is convinced that people only bully others because they had abusive parents, and not just because they find it fun and no one will stop them.

Will any of you help me put him in his place? I'm bad at arguing.
>>
>>29134140
people bully others for many reasons

usually it's because they were bullied somehow, though, like with other kids/teens or in their home life
>>
It's a display of power. They do it because women get off to it
>>
>>29134221
>it's a display of power
This, sorta. People bully mostly for the rush of it, the overwhelming feeling of power that surges through their body as they treat someone lower than themselves. Seriously, bully someone, you'll get this adrenaline rush and it'll feel so good you'll want to keep on doing it
>>
>>29134140

1. where is his proof? ask him for sources or some type of logical explanation or else his claim is meaningless.

2. there are plenty of people out there with abusive parents who don't do any bullying. if abusive parenting = bullying, what explains the abused people that don't bully?

3. there are plenty of bullies who don't have abusive parents.

4. once a person is a certain age, they have the capacity to make their own decisions. how could they justify hurting someone simply because their parents were abusive? there has to be a motivation- they find it fun and there's no one to stop them.
>>
>>29134486
>where is his proof?

He linked this and swore by it. I couldn't dismount him.

https://nihrecord.nih.gov/newsletters/2010/05_28_2010/story3.htm

Also thanks. Your arguments are good. Man if only I could learn to think like this.
>>
>>29134542
All it says is
>only more likely to bully, but also they are more apt to become perpetrators of violence themselves
It never says that all bullies are abused. Just says if youre abused your more likely to bully. I bet that dude didnt even read the shit he linked.
>>
>>29134140
Just because someone has abusive parents doesn't give them the right to bully someone else.
That's like saying just because a guy got PTSD in nam gives him the right to mass murder people.
>>
>>29134542
Maybe he is right and you can learn from this discussion

Oh wait I am on 4chan, continue with your baseless arguments and fallacies
>>
>>29134542

his source doesn't prove anything.

>What we do know, unequivocally, is that a warm, nurturing environment- where the child feels loved, important, safe and secure, enabling him or her to develop positive, social relationships- may decrease the odds of violent or bullying behaviors

it just says a warm loving home may decrease the odds of bullying. Bullies can still come from warm, loving homes.

>Iannotti also suggests that children who are exposed to violence at home are not only more likely to bully, but also they are more apt to become perpetrators of violence themselves

people from abusive homes are more likely to become bullies, but they don't necessarily become bullies.

glad to be of service. you can learn to think like this, you just need to read philosophy. and argue with people more.
>>
>>29134998
>you just need to read philosophy

Think you could point me in the right direction?
>>
>>29134140
I'm living proof that some people are evil from birth. I did not get abused yet I bullied and did bad things
>>
>>29135061
then you should be boiled alive, shot, or flayed by the proper authorities.
>>
>>29135029

this is a good general guide:
http://existentialcomics.com/blog

if you just want to dive in this is a good place to start:
http://www.ditext.com/russell/russell.html
>>
>>29135089
Probably, I hate to admit it but yeah I'm a price of shit
>>
A lot of them do it because they feel insecure and inferior, or they feel diminished. The cause of that might come from treatment at the hands of parents, relatives or other caretakers. They want to prove how great they are, how much better they are than other people, how powerful they are.

Of course, there are some that are just predisposed to that sort of behavior. Psychopathy would be an example of this. To say that abusive parents are the ONLY cause of bullying is wrong, but abusive parents can certainly cause their children to bully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfTtOQbCLo
>>
>>29135121
>http://existentialcomics.com/blog
BEING ABLE TO ADMIT IT INSTEAD OF BEING A SMUG ASSHOEL IS THE FIRST THING THAT TELLS ME YOU PROBABLY AREN'T EVEN THAT BAD.

*caps

I'm not retyping that
>>
>>29135295
Well I can say it but I will never truly feel the weight of my actions so yeah just throw me in jail
>>
>>29134140
There are some cases where both are true, obviously. If you're arguing that it's disproportionate then I only half agree.

People are mostly just products of their surroundings. Human beings are naturally defensive and when they get the impression that they might get picked on then their defensive mechanism is just to abuse others. It's what kept us alive for thousands of years.

There are some well off people that are just sadistic but mostly they're just mean because people were mean to them.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.