[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>look at myself in the mirror >see that I look handsome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: mirror-on-face.png (175 KB, 376x670) Image search: [Google]
mirror-on-face.png
175 KB, 376x670
>look at myself in the mirror
>see that I look handsome as fuck

>take a picture of myself
>don't look as good as I saw myself in the mirror.

Is there an explanation to this?
>>
>>29124120
When you look in the mirror you properly engage eye contact and shift your face as if you were talking to another person

When you look into the camera, unless you try, your just looking neutral
>>
>>29124120
No. There is no explanation for this
>>
>>29124120
How you look in the camera is how you actually look, mirror is wrong.
>>
>>29124120
is it a cheap camera IE phone and are you holding it closely to your head?

also the camera doesn't capture your aira
>>
>>29124238
this, sad but true
and please no bullshit about cheap cameras and angles
>>
>>29124238
I doubt this. How you look in a camera depends on lighting, aperture, focal length, etc.... Many things. How you look in a mirror is closer to how you actually look, just reversed.
>>
>>29124120
I've always figured it's because mirror images are flipped. Whenever I see my facial expressions in photos or videos, they look completely wrong 'cause I'm used to the flipped versions.
>>
>>29124120
you're also looking a reverse image of yourself. if you tend to look at your left eye in the mirror, you will tend to look at the right eye in a photograph. if you have some asymmetry (like eyelid ptosis) it can make a big difference in your appearance and perception.

also smooth ballsack horsedick sprayfart diarrhea
>>
>>29124238
>>29124283
You guys are fucking dumb
>>
>>29124304
Hey, maybe this is actually why normal people take selfies compulsively. Maybe since they have a more accurate idea of what their face looks like, they can learn how to smile properly and whatnot.
>>
File: allsmall.jpg (297 KB, 1628x532) Image search: [Google]
allsmall.jpg
297 KB, 1628x532
>>29124120
Lens angle might be it
>>
>>29124522
holy shit that explains a lot. Thanks anon i feel better now
>>
>>29124522
only intelligent post
lrn 2 camera fgts
>>
>>29124522
Pffft, I simply look like the 4th one
>>
File: 21082014172.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
21082014172.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>29124120
>take a look in the mirror

>ugly af

>take a pic

>even uglier

just end my life
>>
We all know that close up camera shot is not "realistic".

But what about a picture where you're standing a few feet away from the camera. Basically a whole-body shot on a face-to-face height of the camera?
>>
>>29124622

You need some dire psychiatric treatment
>>
>>29124622
I've seen your face here for a while. I gotta say - you are ugly. But you could stop wasting your life on posting your pictures here and instead turn towards some self-improvement. Work out, read, watch movies etc
>>
>>29124622
your constant whining makes it very difficult to feel any simpathy for you. That being said at least you got rid of that disgusting facial hair
>>
When you look in the mirror you shift your head the most flattering way possible, trying to hide all flaws, even if only subconsciously.
It also adds that your face is flipped and you're not used to seeing yourself the "true" way.
>>
File: 18kxy5bbtul32jpg.jpg (69 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
18kxy5bbtul32jpg.jpg
69 KB, 800x450
>>29124120
>Is there an explanation to this?

There are a few reasons.

1. Cameras are not very good at capturing reality.

Just a limitation of the technology. Cameras don't capture color correctly and also distort perspective.

The biggest reason though is what >>29124165 said. When you interact with a person your face is animated and your muscles and shit pull your face together. That's why they used to tell a joke or ask you to say "cheese" when they took pictures of you as a kid. To capture your face while active.

Finally but less importantly the mirror "flips" your face and this is what you're used to seeing. Your brains sees this "flipped" image and thinks "that's me." When you see an unflipped photo your brain is expecting to see you flipped and when it doesn't it feels like there's something wrong with your face/the picture.

But really Op it's mostly just a photography issue. Professional photographers know how to set up lights and shadows as well as tell you how to stand and then they take hundreds of photos and only use the best ones (after re-touching them digitally of course)
>>
>>29124165
>>29124972
I want to believe you, but do you have some sources on this info.
>>
>>29125502
maybe you should use fucking google you idiot
>>
>>29125502
>>29124972

It should be remembered also that most phone cameras are monoscopic, whereas the human eyes are stereoscopic, which basically means that a phone camera looks at you in a similar way that a person with only one functioning eye might.

For some reason monoscopic vision tends to make things more rounded which is why you might look like you have a giant forehead when taking a picture of yourself up-close.

Film cameras and good quality professional cameras have lens that emulate stereoscopic view and make a person look more like how we'd actually see them if we were to meet them in reality. This, coupled with a few other reasons like better lighting capture, lens adjustment, are why cameras like this are so expensive.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.