[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy thread inbound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: image.gif (910 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
910 KB, 260x146
So as of late I have experienced a sudden bout of nihilism and how we as individuals surround ourselves with things to merely avoid the harsh realities of life. (Such as our ultimate meaninglessness in a cosmic sense) now the question I'm asking /r9k/ is what perpetuates your existence? What keeps you from killing yourself? What goals/ things give meaning to your life?
>>
>>29109451
Well anon, I'm an atheist; therefore, killig myself is quite literally pointless. I have no goals and find no meaning in existence, but fuck squandering it.
>>
>>29109451
Why does the idea of everything being meaningless confound people to nihilism? Why not come to terms with it and live to the best of your ability just because you can?
>>
>>29109451
love and the will to live and being one with the universe
>>
File: 034.png (895 KB, 680x852) Image search: [Google]
034.png
895 KB, 680x852
>>29109451
nihilism is pretty depressing desu. try to turn that into hedonism if you can. They only problem with hedonism is that it turns you into a huge narcissist. If you arent autistic you can be a closet narcissist and function somewhat normally. This is pretty much where I am in life as far as philosophy goes.
>>
>>29109451
I can't think of a reason to live. Then again there has never been a reason to live, so why get worked up
Why live?
Why not live?
That being said I'm horribly unmotivated though
>>
>opposite of a nihilist
>everything has meaning, we're just too existentially handicapped to see it
>therefore this life itself has no apparent meaning because it's impossible to reach solid conclusions and we die and forget everything before we can come even close to piecing things together

I'm basically a depressive new-ager
>>
File: 1412096659379-2.jpg (136 KB, 1280x862) Image search: [Google]
1412096659379-2.jpg
136 KB, 1280x862
>>29109451
>what perpetuates your existence? What keeps you from killing yourself?
I don't see the point in kms. Since we're probably never going to experience conciousness again (i.e feelings, senses, thought) I've decided to make the most of these years by doing what I like and whatnot. The result will be the same whether I fuck up or not, so I guess I'll hang around and see if something nice happens.

>What goals/ things give meaning to your life?
I'd like to be satisfied by who I am and what I've had done at the moment of dying. There's no objective goal, of course, I'll make my own goals along the way.
Atm learning to play violin gives meaning to my life.
>>
The mind is a perpetual motion machine powered by forgetfulness and the eternal renewal of ignorance. You cannot hold the thought of nihilism in the front of your mind indefinitely. After a minute, the thought burns out and a new thought enters your head. You think of going to the bathroom, making dinner, taking a shower, plans for the future, memories and ideas. Implicit in all these thoughts is the subconscious assumption that life is meaningful. It's not true of course, but the delusion is hardwired into every function of your brain. Behind every emotion are the false beliefs that life is serious enough to get upset about, your actions are important enough to agonize over, and there are magical things in the world outside yourself that are capable of making you happy. You can say aloud that you know better than to believe life has a purpose, but your emotions betray your words. We are all doomed to vain hope. In moments of clarity we can laugh at the absurdity of the world, but the next moment we are pulled back into the world and we become laughable ourselves.

Suicide is typically an escape from pain, which is the opposite of apathy. There has never been a person who committed suicide purely out of apathy. Apathetic suicide would take a nonviolent form: starvation, dehydration, or suppression of the desire to breathe. Even breathing is an expression of the will to live. In your mind you may comprehend that life has no purpose, but every breath you draw is an act of vain hopefulness, which prolongs for one more second the search for meaning.
>>
Bump
Original desuu
>>
>>29109965
I read some shit about 'meaning' that changed my view on it awhile back. They generally mean purpose when they say meaning, and purpose is just making a feeling satisfied or go away.
When I was sick and in pain all I wanted was to get rid of the pain. Taking opiates had all the purpose in the world.
When I was driving to hopsital with a huge swollen tongue that had all the purpose in the world. I wanted to not die and stuff. I had a feeling, and I needed to fulfill it.
I think the more raw and powerful the emotion the more satisfying it is to quell it. It like "I really want a pizza" so you buy one, then you get it and it feels really good but inevitably you need another pizza in your life.
Its an endless cycle. Whatever is fucking with you at the moment basically becomes the entire view of your life, and you can't really look away until the feeling is gotten rid of so you fill that hole with all sorts of things like work, buying stupid shit, indulging in quacks, supplements, eating some strict diet to feel in control of your health, taking a vacation so you feel like you had an 'experience' and your life was worthwhile.

In the end you can never escape your feelings. We're kind of lashed to them, and I think that there is no freedom from them only reprieve.
This is why people who have lived long lives promote things like 'balance' and 'moderation'. Because they know that your feelings are always going to be driving you do to shit like try new drugs, get new experiences, do risky shit, etc. but the truth is that just living by itself is pretty great once you've been through enough pain you begin to understand that much better in my experience.
Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.