[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>sat on bus >think to myself "I'm going to remember
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: 146969696969.jpg (13 KB, 332x401) Image search: [Google]
146969696969.jpg
13 KB, 332x401
>sat on bus
>think to myself "I'm going to remember this moment"
>15 years later, I still do

why am I a retard
>>
>>29094036
You don't though. Over the years, every detail that has not been externally confirmable such as the layout of the streets or the buildings has been forgotten and then replaced with false memories without you noticing, like the proverbial atoms in your body. The people in the bus, the light, the time, the temperature, the clothes, none of it in your mind has any relation to how it actually was.
>>
>>29094054
Yes I'm aware of that. But I remember the fact that I wanted to remember a completely mundane point in my life for no reason.
>>
File: Sir Tippington.jpg (39 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Sir Tippington.jpg
39 KB, 540x540
>>29094054
fedora post of the year holy shit lol
>>
>>29094036
I have a similar experience of sitting on my bed when I was 12, wondering why we remember some moments of our lives and not others.
>>
>>29094126
>why we remember some moments of our lives and not others

Random fluctuations. It's like asking why as you write with your pen, sometimes the ink stops flowing and you need to shake the pen. There was just a random clot. Similarly, at your specific intelligence, your brain sometimes fixes the memory and sometimes it fails to.
>>
File: f57.jpg (8 KB, 261x216) Image search: [Google]
f57.jpg
8 KB, 261x216
>sat on bus
>think to myself "I'm going to remember his moment"
>15 years later, I don't

what's going on here?
>>
>imagine myself doing something and thinking I'm going to remember it
>later it actually happens and I remember myself saying that I would remember it

Life is 2spooky sometimes
>>
>>29094070
I dont know, its crazy to think about
>>
>>29094169
>>29094054
>it's another "I literally have no concept of neurology or the working mechanisms of memory storage but will pretend I do because I read a psychology wiki page" episode
>>
>>29094301
I don't read Wikipedia.

Am I wrong, or am I simplifying? Not the same thing.
>>
>>29094348
>Am I wrong, or am I simplifying?
You make memory formation sound like chance.
>>
>>29094384
Well OBVIOUSLY by 'random' was meant 'differences/factors exist'. Obviously presence of emotions, some sort of excitation resulting from awareness of comparable situations, exhilaration by making a discovery at the same time, accidental (or rather 'accidental', you nitpicker) remembering of this memory over the next days, tiredness/sleepiness, blahblah matter. Just like in the pen analogy such factors would be position of the pen in the package in the truck, random/'random' quakes in the factory, handedness of the writer, ... . My point obviously was that it was silly to attribute memory failures to a single factor such as 'I just didn't try hard enough to remember this'.
>>
>>29094036

This thread is going to die now. Whenever I post in a thread it dies even on r9k no one wants to talk to me and they all leave fuck.
>>
>>29094433
>'I just didn't try hard enough to remember this'.
No actually that's a real reason why it wouldn't be remembered. Long term memory outside of mechanics (riding bikes, driving a car) is attributed to the effort of reminding/attempting to retain a memory.
>>
>>29094466
Oh Jesus--

--so I got told off for misapprehending neuroscience by a fucking believer in free will?
>>
>>29094494
Argue about freewill all you want, I didn't say anything about that. But I've gone to med school, I know the basis of memory formation. Most people make up psychobabble crap to try and explain something they have absolutely no understanding of.

It's fine to admit you don't know the answer to something.
>>
>>29094494
>gets corrected
>immediate butthurt

like a posterchild for 4chan
>>
>>29094527
>Argue about freewill all you want, I didn't say anything about that.

You literally did: 'is attributed to the effort of reminding/attempting to retain a memory', which says strictly as much as 'memories are formed when preconditions are met for them to form'. WHY did you 'take the effort' to remember the memory, you fuckwit? THIS is the real question you're evading.

>It's fine to admit you don't know the answer to something.

And now you appeal to ignorance. When did they begin to let two-digit IQs into medical schools?
>>
>be me
>be 10
>watching my step brother play FF8
>he tells me to remember a five digit code for something in the game
>I worry about forgetting it so I spend a few minutes repeating it in my head
>still remember it 12 years later
>>
>>29094549
Corrected? Yes, I was approximately as 'corrected' as a person saying that plant growth is dependent on soil, sun, wind, pollution, pests, humidity, layers of vegetation above, presence of bird droppings, ... when he is told that 'no that's wrong you retard, plant growth depends on whether the plants WANT to grow learn basic agriculture'.
>>
>>29094036
>listen to a song in a specific location: i.e the bathroom
>now every time i go to the bathroom the song enters my head and i feel the urge to start singing it
>i hate the fucking song after awhile and it becomes torturous every time i need to shit or piss because the lyrics instantly enter my head even after all these years

>see a spoiler for something i haven't seen
>try to forget it through time
>every time i become self aware that i'm thinking then on my brain obsessively reminds me of the spoiler and laughs at me
>after years of this my brain has stored a bank of spoilers and conditioned itself to repeat the spoilers on a loop to me whenever i become self aware that i'm thinking in any situation
>got to the point i don't even care about the spoilers anymore i just want to stop the loop the cycle the insanity SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
>Sat on the train
>some teenager starts thrashing around
>friend he was just talking to doesnt acknowledge it
>figure he has a weird condition
>try very hard not to stare or look freaked out whenever he does it
>>
>>29094607
Fun fact: this is exactly the effects of Buddhist 'mindfulness' 'meditation'. It's fighting fire with fire: whereas the basis of thinking and problem-solving is free mind-wandering, 'meditation' just throws you into a loop of being reminded of your thinking, which in turn reminds you of your thinking even more. It's a deadlock.
>>
>>29094561
>which says strictly as much as 'memories are formed when preconditions are met for them to form'.
Yes, I know. That's what I was saying. I'm not sure why you started talking about free will, or why this is even part of the conversation lol

All I'm saying is you don't understand how memory formation works and that was clear from your attempt to explain it.

>WHY did you 'take the effort' to remember the memory, you fuckwit?
I'm not OP, you tit.
>>
>>29094561
>You literally did:
did he? sounds like you got told and are trying to change the topic
>>
>>29094680
I am aware you are not OP. I was just illustrating your uninquisitiveness: 'effortdidit'.

Of course I don't know how memory works, but I still provided an order of magnitude more factors than you did.
>>
>>29094694
>Of course I don't know how memory works
>but I still provided an order of magnitude more factors
not him brah but if you don't know how it works then those factors probably dont count?

i mean I cant discuss factors towards chemical engineering because i have no working concept of the topic
>>
>>29094692
>>29094716
Yes he did. Belief in free will is not 'I thereby declare that I believe in free will'; you betray it every time that I write an explanation off with 'oh it just depends on practice'. 'Oh musicality doesn't depend on increased connectivity between those parts of brain or that one increased, it's not that it's a correlate of vocal short-term memory or something, it's not that nerves of proficient players in arms or fingers (off the top of my head) are x % more conductive or whatever than the regular population, being a musician just depends on that you must give EFFORT!!!'.

tl;dr this is the most cringeworthy instance of samefagging I've ever seen.
>>
>>29094036
I don't know why but this is funny as fuck for some reason
>>
>>29094716
>if you don't know how it works then those factors probably dont count

I'm okay with this, but what that anti-intellectual retard gave counts even less.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (96 KB, 1212x309) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
96 KB, 1212x309
>>29094733
>tl;dr this is the most cringeworthy instance of samefagging I've ever seen.
or maybe you're talking utter shit and more than one person is calling you out on it lol
>>
>>29094756
>'I can press F12!'
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 645x773
>he also remembers random moments like an autistic retard

There are two of us!
>>
>>29094765
What are you even on about lol
>>
>>29094749
no he gave an actual reason as to why op would retain this memory over the years

you just made up some random shiz
>>
>>29094765
>posts between the people are seconds apart
>"N-NO. Y-YOU'RE S-SAMEFAGGIN' AND I'M R-RIGHT"

im laffin
>>
>>29094799
Yes, one hundred and twenty five seconds apart to be exact.

>>29094782
>>29094784
>effort
>'actual reason'

Okay. Whatever country you live in, it deserves its decline with retards such as yourself in it. I'm out.
>>
>>29094813
>Yes, one hundred and twenty five seconds apart to be exact.
dunno brah some of these posts, like:
>>29094784
>>29094782
are seconds apart. there's been a few

but hey it can't be you thats wrong. it's everyone else.

>I'm out.
probably for the best lol
>>
>>29094850
>'You're accusing of samefagging wrongly!'
>'Incorrect: ...'
>'No wait I didn't mean those points which the discussion I quoted pertained to in case of which the accusation was valid, I meant those OTHER posts!'
>>
File: 1454049193850.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1454049193850.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>29094867
>"that person clearly changed the photo, I'm not wrong"
>"those posts seconds apart must be by the same person, I'm not wrong"
>"the handful of people calling me a retard aren't real, I'm not wrong"

You're out.
>>
File: f.jpg (46 KB, 339x298) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
46 KB, 339x298
>Get molested as a kid
>Hope I dont remember it
>tfw I remember it
>>
>>29094919
As always, I draw the line at explaining the other person's idiocy more than once. The never-existent careful reader of the thread can see it all.

Also: he didn't manipulate the image, but the HTML DOM (I imagine it's a faster way to erase samefagging).
>>
>>29094036
I did this one day when I was at school in year 1. I was running on a patch of grass between the play area and staffroom. It must have been 14 years ago.
>>
>>29094460
Its true. I waa going to make a post but saw you were here. =(
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.