[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much money do you guys think it takes to truly be happy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1443203024378.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1443203024378.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
How much money do you guys think it takes to truly be happy? Is 100k a year enough or do you need to be a millionaire?

Asking because I'm a recent high school graduate neet. My mom is putting a lot of pressure on me to either go to law school/become some kind of megarich jew (she says hedge fund manager), but I'm honestly not sure I possess the drive/social skills needed to achieve that.
>>
>>29093075
Money has diminishing happiness returns after your basic needs are met, although there's still a correlation there. Job satisfaction and having the free time to enjoy that money matter a lot more at that point, however.
>>
>but I'm honestly not sure I possess the drive/social skills needed to achieve that

go into the medical industry, free money, no works
>>
File: 1456560505201.gif (398 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
1456560505201.gif
398 KB, 500x460
>>29093075

for me personally, just being able to buy something I want occasionally.

Apart from that

>give me unironically a 5x5m box with my basic needs
>give me a good computer
>a good internet connection

bam I'm set until I die
>>
>>29093075
What do you, personally, think will make you happy?
>>
>>29093141
I honestly have no idea, which I think is my main problem. I don't really know what will make me happy, besides being majorly self-sufficient, which is part of the reason that spending the better part of the next decade in school doesn't super appeal to me. Right now I'm decently depressed and do nothing but sit at my computer all day. I have no real passions in the sense that most normies do, which is why I'm having trouble deciding on a path.

>>29093134
Yeah, I've pretty much lived in my room since middle school. It's not awful or anything but I feel pretty unfulfilled.

>>29093118
Yeah, I've been thinking about this. The problem is that I historically didn't really enjoy my biology class, even though it was pretty easy.
>>
>>29093218
>I've pretty much lived in my room since middle school
>I don't really know what will make me happy
Then why in the hell would you lock yourself into a long and grueling career path? You're in a terrible position to make that choice. You need to get the fuck outside and live your life. Leave your options as open as possible. Hell, don't even go to college yet: get a shit job, live on your own, explore as many new ideas and experiences as you can. Maybe then you'll know what you want to do.
>>
>>29093257
Yeah I've been getting that suggestion from some real life family members. The problem is they have shitty careers/lives and I'm not sure if it's worth it to take their advice.

How'd it work out for you anon?
>>
File: 1444391764392.png (339 KB, 1165x494) Image search: [Google]
1444391764392.png
339 KB, 1165x494
>money is a means to happiness

money is just the means to get wealth, it's not even the wealth itself.

wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.

so basically, if you only want free shit, you can be happy for free.
if you want expensive shit, you'll have to pay the price for happiness.
>>
>>29093218
Suffer through school for now, you can work in a nice job and potentially find something you really enjoy, whether it be a relationship with some guy/girl or just a hobby you can indulge in.
>>
>>29093218
lol, normies don't have "passions". most normies just choose something to do in high school and stick with it because their environment make it easier to cope.ccompare this to a robot who has nothing else going for him, so most of the time a robot needs to find something they're really interested in because it'll be the only thing going on in their life. imagine a normie doing something they hate at uni while seeing friends/girlfriend every day or whatever, compared to a robot doing the same thing while having nothing else to do. don't waste your time at uni if you are an actual robot unless you're doing something you really like, it's a waste of time and money and you'll probably just drop out eventually
>>
I make 6 figures, getting more each year. Once I reached an income of about 100k anything additional made little difference. I make more than I can spend. Granted I'm single, if I had a family it would be a different story.
>>
It depends where you live and what your interests are. I live pretty comfortable on $25k because it pays my rent and all I do is play computer games. Lower paid jobs tend to give you more time too, i've never stayed at work for 10 minutes more than what i get paid for but my friends who earn over double stay like 2 or 3 hours extra every day and sometimes even go in on weekends. I personally value my time more than an unnecessarily large paycheck.
>>
>>29093075
>How much money do you guys think it takes to truly be happy
For me, 26,000/year is more than enough. Pays the rent, gives me spare cash for things I like. I don't mind living in a shithole or a shoebox.
>>
File: 1461009963905.jpg (140 KB, 1043x936) Image search: [Google]
1461009963905.jpg
140 KB, 1043x936
>>29093359
Oh yeah, I see that. My Career Exploration teacher told us it "wasn't about the job, but the people you work with", which to me seemed completely retarded. It's definitely part of the reason I didn't like high school that much despite doing pretty well, while normies who got shit grades and have no life prospects had the time of their lives.

>>29093322
I really appreciate this post, anon.

>>29093395
>>29093403
>>29093452
You guys are pretty much echoing the poster above, saying how it's not about the money but about your wants. Thank you.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.