[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanna believe in an afterlife so bad. I really REALLY want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: Capture3.jpg (38 KB, 426x598) Image search: [Google]
Capture3.jpg
38 KB, 426x598
I wanna believe in an afterlife so bad. I really REALLY want to, but I just can't. Are there any alternatives to an afterlife.
>>
I am so goddamn sick of this meme!
>>
Metaphysicists and spiritualists argue that life is a chemical reaction that is ongoing, meaning that life will forever consume itself, which is true.
We inherit our parents as offspring, in turn suffering the conclusions of their life experiences. It goes that way until mankind will cease to exist.
Define afterlife for yourself. I will say that if I died right now, I am certain that life will be better for me after I am dead.
>>
I sometimes wonder if there's some (non)-thing outside of existence and nonexistence. Some(not)thing that defies everything we believe to be possible.

Afterlives always seem to be depicted as variations of the same thing, and since I don't think this life is really all that desirable (though I suppose it could always be worse, which actually makes it less worthwhile than it was to begin with), they usually don't seem to be either.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and the idea that a larger miasma surrounds it is terrifying.
>>
File: 1457513960183.gif (2 MB, 366x360) Image search: [Google]
1457513960183.gif
2 MB, 366x360
>>29092628

I think at the end of it, you get to pick your stats and reroll.

However you are also given your memories of your previous lives, and thereby it influences your decisions.

I think it would be like a point system, on which you have to subtract points from things in order to improve something else

>tfw your previous self thought it would be a good idea just to average out the points
>tfw previous self could have picked to be a QT girl on easy mode

Even the self proclaimed billionaire backs up my theory
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/elon-musk-ai-artificial-intelligence-computer-simulation-gaming-virtual-reality-a7060941.html
>>
File: 1457179677468.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1457179677468.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>>29092628
I'm a medical student, and I've come to a realization about this.

There's no actual afterlife so far as we know, as it makes no sense. But 'actual' is still our perception of reality, and so whether there's an 'actual' afterlife or not, our brain is what perceives reality.

Your brain is responsible for controlling you perception of time, and it can retroactively change how you perceive time and realistically dilate time, such as in dreams or via drugs.

As you approach brain death, and after you loose your pulse, your brain remains active for up to minutes as it uses the rest of the available ATP, etc.

In that time, your brain is capable of giving you an afterlife. You will perceive, because your brain is the gateway to your perception, an infinite afterlife. This has been anacdotally noted across cultures throughout history in those who were medically dead, but not brain-dead.

Yes, some people see nothing. It's about what you believe, because your brain will give you what you most strongly believe will happen after death, even if it doesn't physically happen. There's no difference to you.
>>
File: 1456210170460.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1456210170460.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>29092931

so what you're saying anon is that what I said in my previous posts is pretty much confirmed?

If I seriously believe that is what will happen, my brain will infinitely prolong another life through that perception?
>>
>>29092969
It's possible, yes
>>
>>29092931
So if you don't believe in an after life....you won't get one?
>>
>>29092931
What if this is just a previous dying brain's dream?
That'd be spooky
Having a body you have no idea about somewhere, infinitely approaching but never reaching death

Life truly is about learning how to die, this I sincerely believe
>>
>Are there any alternatives to an afterlife.
Yes, you die and then nothing. The blackness of sleep.

If you really want something to cling onto: read up on things like cybernetics, systems theory, holism. And think about the idea that the earth might be considered an entire organism, so it's irrelevant whether you die since you are just a small part of the greater whole... you are to the earth as a single neuron is to the brain.

>>29092931
That's really grasping at straws.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.