[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any way that I can attract more birds to my home? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: crow-2.jpg (37 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
crow-2.jpg
37 KB, 550x366
Is there any way that I can attract more birds to my home? I feel like I would feel much less lonely if I had a recognizable flock of birds that consistently visited my home, or even lived near it, but my current efforts haven't been very fruitful.

I've already constructed a couple birdhouses, though that hasn't done much to increase the overall population or popularity of my home as a bird hangout.

In addition to that, my back yard is filled with bird feeders, about five, but they attract literally everything except more birds; rodents like squirrels and chipmunks will eat from them, and even the local deer will eat from them if they are low enough.

I know for a fact that many different kinds of birds populate my area, including geese, ducks, sparrows, cardinals, crows, and some owls. Why is it they do not find particular enjoyment of my home and give me the company I desire. Please help.
>>
how do we trick the robot?
>>
Throw bread
>>
>>29087910
I should hand-feed them? How is that any different from having the bird feeders?
>>
I work at a gas station and when our prepared food items get old and I have to take them off the heat rack for food safety reasons I go out into the big black parking lot and feed it to the birds.

There's a large flock of seagulls that inhabit our lot, they feed off trash food from nearby fast food restaurant neighbors as well.
>>
>>29087994
Seagulls are so easy to befriend. Whenever I go on vacation to a place near the ocean, I buy a ton of fries and bread to feed them, and then they'll follow me around until I leave. It's too bad that I don't live anywhere near them :(
>>
>>29087871
Get the right kind of bird feeder. Some have springs in them so that when a squirrel gets on it the holes close from the weight and they can't eat. You can also support the feeders on poles with metal blockers to stop rodents climbing them. There's a lot of different types of feeders though that are designed to allow only birds to access the food.

What kind of bird seed are you using? Different types attract different species of bird. Maybe get one that has thistle seeds for goldfinches, and get a mixed seed one or some peanuts for other species. Try various kinds in different feeders and see what happens. A suet feeder can attract woodpeckers and nuthatches. Based on your description of birds in your area I'm guessing you are in the northern US somewhere, so probably oriole and hummingbird feeders will be pretty empty (at least in my experience).

You want to have some bushes or trees nearish to the feeders too so the birds feel safer, but not too close or squirrels can jump from it to the feeders.

For bird houses make sure the diameter of the entrance is the right size--you will want to do some research on this. You also can leave bits of string out for birds to make nests with.

If none of this works then buy a pair of binoculars and a field guide and go out birdwatching. Good luck anon!
>>
>>29088079
Thanks! The birdhouses have attracted a family of barn owls, so that dimension of my scheme has been working out all right so far. I've been using various brands of mixed bird seed, which I am guessing from your post is not the most effective thing. I'll probably get onto dedicating individual feeders to specific kinds of seed.
>>
By the way OP falconry is a thing. There are some laws regulating it but if you're interested it's legal in most places to capture a wild raptor and hunt with it for sport. It's a thousand year tradition of friendship between men and birds and master falconers are allowed to keep several birds tamed in captivity if they wish to.

Unfortunately on the other hand raptors are bad mother fuckers that other birds will run like hell away from.
>>
>>29088388
>recommending falconry as an option

I volunteered at a local Raptor Rehab organization, and I would not recommend Falconry as a hobby or simple pastime.

Raptors are mean ass birds who require a lot of respect, tenacity, and skill to even handle properly, much less train them. It would require a lot of time and money, and taking one out of the wild is a recipe for failure and injury. You have to get one when it's a chick, and even then it's not going to be your best friend. It will be a partner who will fuck you up if you let it.

Just stick to trying out different birdfeeders and positioning, OP. Falconry is a way of life that very few people can actually sustain.
>>
>>29088180
>The birdhouses have attracted a family of barn owls
Wow you have no reason to complain then. That's incredible. Where I live they are extirpated.

Also I forgot to ask how long you have had your feeders up for. Some times of year are better, like in winter when food is scarce they are more populated usually, and in the spring and fall you get migration so will get different species/flocks passing through that will visit you. If you just put up the feeders recently too it might take some time for the local birds to find the feeders and realize they can visit it regularly. Make sure to keep them topped up all the time too.
>>
>>29088652
>barn owls
>a good thing

Have you ever lived alongside with those fuckers? They make the most terrifying and hideous shrieks.
>>
>>29088737
Nope, as I said they aren't around here. The only ones that nest in boxes here are screech owls and I've never lived with one of those in my yard so don't know how it is.

Barn owls are really pretty birds though so I'd be happy to have one in nesting that I could see regularly.
>>
>>29087871
>tfw no pet owl

Instead of spending shitloads of money on a gf I can just spend shitloads of money on constructing an really nice aviary and getting a pet who bonds for life
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.