[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that whenever anyone else has a hobby, people are like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
Why is it that whenever anyone else has a hobby, people are like "oh wow that's so cool! You're so interesting and adventurous, I'd like to have a hobby of my own!" But when I'm dead set on a hobby or plans for something everyone just shakes their fucking heads at me?

This summer, I want to get a canoe. I want to get a camping trip going and take my canoe, I'm also going to Colorado with my parents to visit my brother and I want to take the canoe there. My parents think it's a stupid idea, they don't understand that rope was made to tie things down and said, 'we can rent one out there'. Did Louis and Clark 'rent' a fucking canoe to 'try' it before they set off on their expedition? My parents are being pussies.

My friends don't really have any interest in going out with me on a canoe and experiencing life, they don't really understand why I would want a canoe. They think its weird and nerdy to want to be out in the wilderness with their buddies fishing, drinking beer, getting high, or just chilling having fun.

It's weird and stupid. But hey, they can drop a few thousand on new mufflers for their car and people will say, 'wow, it's really good that you have a hobby you're so passionate about!'

Or my favorite, thinking their idea is better than mine. "Don't get a canoe, get a kayak. Why would you want a canoe when kayaks are so much better?"

Well, I'm getting my fucking canoe and if no one likes it, I'm going to go out and enjoy it myself. I've been so stoked to have this as my plan for the summer so I can get away from the vidya and experience the outdoors. Everyone's always bursting my bubble.
>>
File: 1454705292038.png (1 MB, 773x960) Image search: [Google]
1454705292038.png
1 MB, 773x960
>>29082559
Just do it : ^)
Originalio
>>
Oops, I forgot that r9k doesn't read posts if they aren't about women
>>
Good for you, OP. I understand exactly what you're feeling
>>
>>29082559
I don't know why you wanted to do this with people in the first place. Unless you have a close male friend to bond with, or a dad who isn't lame, nature stuff is best to do alone. I go kayaking only with my dad and that is rare, I usually just go alone. Seriously get a kayak if you're going to do it alone, canoeing is a 2 man thing.
But I live in Florida and plenty of dudes are into woodsman stuff. I just prefer the silence and solitude.
>>
>>29082559
Kayaks actually are better unless you're trying to move multiple people or a lot of gear / supplies.

Don't invest money in owning something you're not sure you like and will use again. That's a general rule. It's why kids rent instruments until their parents are pretty sure they're not going to quit taking lessons. Your family thinks you're going to lose interest in canoeing the moment you find it's not easy and fantastic. They're probably right.
>>
>>29082559
because like it or not ur still obviously very childish and ur parents are smarter than u. what is ur basis for wanting a canoe? what reason do u have for thinking its something ur gonna be passionate about? renting one is in every way smarter and more rational, just do that and if u actually do really enjoy it you can buy one, why commit to something youre unsure of? you wouldnt marry a girl a month after youve met her, apply the same logic here
>>
Why do you care what other people think

If you're doing a hobby to please others then don't do it. You're wasting your time.
>>
>>29084641

This. OP should just stay at home and play video games
>>
>>29084671

this, seems like he's in it for jewish reasons
>>
>kayak is what you need, not a canoe
>canoe is for 2+ people of really inshape individuals with lots of experience

>rent a kayak first or go on a tour to see how you like it

most people buy watercraft one time and then never use it again
>>
Wtf

First of all, I'm not doing this to please anyone, it's something I want to do.

Secondly, I already said that I don't want a kayak. Anyone can haul around a 30lb canoe especially the one I plan on getting, which has handles on the bow and stern.

And I'm not doing it specifically for group activities. I just want a boat with room enough for my fishing gear and a cooler; you don't really have room in a kayak.

I think a canoe would be the perfect versatile boat to go spend a day on the water by either myself or with friends.
>>
>>29086415
>you don't really have room in a kayak
you're not looking at the right kayaks
>>
>>29082559
It does seem like a better idea to rent a canoe where you're going to use it.
>>
>>29086503

Well, I want a canoe okay?
>>
>>29086541

I plan on having that damn boat strapped to my car all summer and taking it wherever I see fit, I'm not taking it for one little trip.
>>
>>29086542
And what if an inexperienced idiot like you flips said canoe? You'll lose all of your gear and probably your canoe. The huge benefit of a modern kayak is that they're unsinkable and have water tight compartments

Go to REI or whatever and pick out a nice fishing kayak.
>>
>>29086577

Or I could take it to a shallow pond by my house and just practice not tipping the fucking thing.

Geez, you normies and your kayaks. Both stores I went to today had dozens of kayaks and only 1 canoe each. Canoes are too badass for normies who need their hands held
>>
>>29082559
Are you fucking fourteen? YOU sound like such an INSECURE bitch.
IF you want to do something just fucking do it, you don't have a hobby for other peoples approval, you do it because you ENJOY it.
Chad eats PIZZA and smokes WEED. His parents don't give a SHIT.
It's his HEIGHT, FACE, and FRAME that let him do this, you're just genetically inferior OP.
Don't let that STOP you from living your DREAMS.
>>
File: 1464833348011.jpg (376 KB, 583x1508) Image search: [Google]
1464833348011.jpg
376 KB, 583x1508
>>29086608
>Canoes are too badass for normies
>>
>>29086615

I'm not insecure about it. I'm going to do what I want and nobody's stopping me.

I'm just pissed that no one appreciates my awesome ideas, because they're awesome and I wish they would see it too because it'd be a lot of fun.
>>
>>29086560
Well, that's different then. Carry on, canoebro.
>>
>>29086643

Go take your Stacy out kayaking with your matching life jackets then. I guarantee you won't do it again, its just something you two want to cross out on your couple s' bucket list.

Meanwhile I'll be in my canoe catching fish and drinking beer.
>>
>>29082559
Canoeing is a dope-ass hobby, anon. Go for it and ignore these assholes.
>>
>>29082559

You go, canoe man. Be unique and more importantly be you.
>>
>>29086695

Will do sir. Heck, once I can successfully canoe without tipping it or anything I'll redownload tinder and take a grill on a canoe date. Will post results.
>>
>>29086697
Ya know you're being a contrarian bitch for no reason. Kayaks are objectively better in every way.
>>
>>29086741
One-man canoeing IS much harder though. But I'm sure you can do it with enough practice.
When you find someone who also realizes that it's a top-tier hobby, you'll already have a 2-seater, so it's all good.

Consider joining a club if you're into that kind of social interaction. Makes it easy to find a partner, arrange for transportation, etc.
>>
>>29086834

I do realize. I want this to be an experience for me so I'm ready for it to be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>29086654
Are you sure your ideas are awesome because they're founded in known quantities that are themselves awesome (as in, you've been canoeing before and loved it)?
Or are you sure they're awesome because they're yours.

If nobody ever appreciates your ideas, it's probably not that everybody else is always wrong. It's probably that you're delusional. That said, I don't see how something good won't come out of this. You have to be completely fucking thrilled with your trip and canoe, because the alternative is to admit we're right.
>>
That's a pretty good hobby man.
Go for it.
>>
You just like the word canoe more than the word kayak, don't you, OP?
>>
>>29082559
I know that feel, anon. It's like there's a big book of socially acceptable things to do, that gets put in every normie's mailbox every year to keep them up to date. When you pick something that's not listed in that book, even if it's VERY SIMILAR to something that's in it, they don't understand it and immediately suggest you do something that IS in the book. They always seem genuinely bothered about it too, or worried; I can't tell. It's seriously fucking weird. Some examples I've come across:

>doing science experiments as a kid
"Oh wow you're really smart!"
>doing science experiments as an adult
"I bet you're building a fucking bomb."

>riding a bike
"Good for you! Stay in shape!"
>riding a bike, but stopping to pick up something interesting from the road
"Is he homeless? Weird."

>driving to the store that's two blocks away
(not even worth commenting on)
>walking to the store that's two blocks away
"Are you sure you don't want to take your car?"

I don't get it.
>>
>>29082559

Been canoeing tripping for 5 or 6 years now.

Your friends are right. For 1M a kayak is better. Way easier to maneuver.

So are your parents. It's stupid to take a canoe all that way when you can just rent one for 12 bucks a day.

That being said, kayaks are for faggots, eskimos, and women with no upper arm strength.

Also, I think you're taking it all too personally-- just step back and take a breath.
>>
>>29087333
You just don't know how to respond, semi-Satan. Normies get that flak and they navigate it without it even registering.

>I bet you're building a fucking bomb.
Guess who's not getting any giant sparklers this 4th?

>Is he homeless? Weird.
Hey, are these your keys?

>Are you sure you don't want to take your car?
Enjoy your DIABETUS.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.