[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else is /abandoningsociety/? here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: nature.jpg (289 KB, 640x399) Image search: [Google]
nature.jpg
289 KB, 640x399
Any other robots planning on abandoning society to live a hunter-gather lifestyle? After a few months of contemplation I have decided that in the coming weeks I am going to leave my old life behind to go live in the wilderness, not that I had much to leave behind anyways. I figured that living life like our hunter-gather ancestors would be the way to go so I don't have to live a life of parasitic NEETdom or wagecuckery. I am planning on going to the Appalachians, feel free to post your thoughts on the idea of leaving society behind, thoughts on the hunter- gather lifestyle, and what you would take with you into the wild.
>>
you'll die in 2 weeks max
>>
I think it will be very hard to sustain yourself off the land without farming or buying supplies.
>>
File: chris.jpg (119 KB, 610x635) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
119 KB, 610x635
>>29081646
how much time and effort have you put into prepping for this journey
>>
>>29081646
do you even know how to hunt or gather? and even if you do, do you have any idea how difficult it is to actually live on small game and foraged food? you're going to end up like that fucktard from into the wild and die of rabbit starvation or poisoning or whatever happened to him. point is human beings are pretty tough to maintain, you go out there and try to live on squirrel and blackberries you're going to get fucked up.
>>
>>29081646

You realize that people who do this are well outfitted right?

you can't just grab a pocketknife and start walking, dipshit. Also, enjoy the night time when everything gets cold and damp, lol.

You're going to be so sore and hungry, and cold. The NEET life will seem like heaven.

So you know what? try it. It will give you some perspective and a dose of reality.
>>
>>29081762
I've put in a considerable amount of effort into this. I have a small part time job and I am currently in the process of buying all of my equipment, as well as reading up as much as possible on the subject and taking a few nature classes at my local community college. In a few weeks I will begin learning to fish, hunt, and a few other skills I think would help me survive out in the wild.
>>
>>29081727
You sure are optimistic :^)
>>
>>29081745
Hard but not impossible
>>
>>29081727
You're giving him far too much credit.
>>
>>29081845
I never said I wouldn't be well outfitted. I am currently trying to get all of the necessary items I'd need to survive in the wild.
>>
>>29081928

Well that's good you're getting that out of the way.

Because even with gear, it will be expensive, foodwise. Not sure how much there is to forage in the sticks, but I would suggest sowing a dandelion field and getting your firearms license.

also, how are you going to transport potable water?
>>
>>29082107
I plan on getting some sort of gun in the coming months so I can hunt some small game. As for water, I am going to carry two sizable cantines with me and I plan on getting water from streams, lakes, trees (with a water spile), and filtering with with one of those water filter straw things.
>>
> you'll die in 2 weeks max

Oh bullshit. It's fucking summertime so I think he'll go anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks before he dies. Easily.
>>
>>29081866
This stupid fuck thinks he can become skilled enough at hunting and fishing to survive out in the wilderness in a few months.

As someone who has been hunting, fishing, and camping since around 6 years old, you're going to get yourself killed. Or rather you're going to run out of whatever canned and dry food you lug into the woods with you, eat a few poorly prepared meals where you waste 90% of your kill IF you manage to get anything, and finally puss out after two or three weeks and wander back into society on the verge of starvation. Enjoy m8!
>>
>>29082240
>> I am going to carry two sizable cantines with me
More than enough to last you a whole lifetime.

>> and I plan on getting water from streams, lakes, trees (with a water spile), and filtering with with one of those water filter straw things.

You definitely sound like you've done all this stuff before bro, and you know what your doing. You can just drink the water straight from the streams and lakes bro. Rarely need decontamination tablets or filters bro. Never boil it.
>>
Why not buy a farm and live in the countryside instead? another robot was planning to do that
>>
>>29082483
desu I wanna make a commune and do this though

the only problem is like internet connection how will i even live without it desu
>>
OP, this shit you want to try ain't gonna end well. You'd be better off living in the woods right outside the city so that you can periodically wander into the city to dumpsterdive for food and supplies, etc. Basically you wanna be a woodland hobo.
>>
>>29082535
satellite is good enough for imageboards and small torrents (ebooks and shit)
>>
>>29082369
What's with all the hostility in this thread? I don't really mind dying the the wild though, I don't really have much o live for anyways.
>>
>>29081646
>winter

OREgANo comMentdadO
>>
>>29082483
I ain't got the. money for land senpai
>>
File: dumpster_diver_suit_0.png (107 KB, 300x254) Image search: [Google]
dumpster_diver_suit_0.png
107 KB, 300x254
When I was a kid I lived in a really ghetto part of Cleveland. I remember at the edge of town there were these abandoned rail stations and old half burned warehouses and shit right on the edge between where the city ends and the wilderness starts.

There were all kinds of homeless people, squatters, criminals and other fuckups who lived around there, I remember seeing these post apocalyptic looking homeless dudes walking out of old abandoned buildings and seeing lots of tents in the nearby woods.

Anyways. That's probably the type of place you could maybe live in OP, that's the closest you'll get to your dream.
>>
>>29082453
>>29081845

These guys aren't giving you a hard time to be dicks.

They're doing it because they know what will happen to a novice who goes out there and tries to eke out an existence.

How are you going to store your meat?

Where are you going to put your pelts? your fat?

What are you going to do about natural predators?

Have you even killed an animal, let alone skinned it and cleaned it?

what happens if you get dysentry? or slip on a rainy day and end up breaking something?

Do you know what a game trail is? can you do any carpentry? How are you going to dig a dirt cellar on a forest/ mountain floor?

There's SO many things. And alot of them you won't realize until you're balls deep.
>>
>>29081646
Please read "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer if you want to know how this will go

Of course, you won't last as long as McCandless, but you'll probably suffer the same fate
>>
>>29082571
I'm addicted to EVE Online and I've gone full no-life with it, there's no way I can ever stop
>>
>>29081646
Tried it. Not as easy as it seems. Keeping warm starts to become a real issue unless you go somewhere where its not an issue. Also a real bad storm will fuck everything unless you prepare, and usually there is very little time. Some days the fish just aren't biting and you cant keep anything you catch for long without it rotting, growing plants is a pain in the ass because they just get eaten and shit on by insects and everything.

Other than that its not bad. I lasted only a month though.
>>
File: lol1.jpg (164 KB, 919x737) Image search: [Google]
lol1.jpg
164 KB, 919x737
>>29081646
>I am planning on going to the Appalachians

If I find you on my mountain I'll bury you up there.
>>
>>29082724
Because you have a romanticized view of "living in the wild" and you're enough of a moron to think that the amount of bushcraft you would need to survive indefinitely in the woods can be learned in the course of a few weeks/months. You're a grade A moron and you can talk big about how you don't have much to live for but I guarantee you'll turn right back around and head back for civilization the second you get your first real pang of hunger, probably long before you're even truly starving since I doubt a sheltered suburban cuck like you has much tolerance for discomfort. I would have a lot more respect for you if you just said you wanted to be homeless, going on about how you want to "le live in nature xDDD dun worry guize i read some naturalist books and bought a rifle i'm all set xDD" is pure retardation.
>>
>>29082869
I never said I wouldn't fail. I've acknowledged that there is a pretty solid chance I'll die out in the wild and I've made my peace with that.
>>
>>29082810
Internet isnt a problem even mongolian nomads have internet now
>>
>>29081646
Tried it for a while. You will eventually resort to stealing and digging through trash. And mosquitos will eat you alive while you sleep.
>>
>>29082940
Oh yeah you've made your peace with it. Do a little test run and don't eat for two or three days. See how peaceful you feel when you're so hungry that you can't even sleep. And then imagine that except out in the elements covered in bugs and sweating or freezing your ass off and with help miles away. The only thing you'll end up using the gun you plan on buying for is blowing your own brains out.
>>
>>29081646
I am planning to do the same, OP, but differently than you. You seem like you just want to die in a manner you think more worthy or honorable than the pathetic death that await most in civilization. You will die a more pathetic death, however. Learning how to survive in the wild takes a lifetime. You can't just read some books, acquire some equipment and then just go into the wild and forage about. You'd come near death very quickly, only to discover you dont want to die, and then return to civilization.

I'll tell you my plan, because its a better one that will lead to a happier life, which is essentially what you want. WHat you need is land in the countryside, away from civilization. The land should be fertile so you can grow food on it. You need to learn how to do that. You should keep animals on this land. You need to learn about this as well. It's going to take a long time, but its perfectly possible, though very hard to do alone. Once you've learned how to farm (this is a very involved thing), you can start learning how to hunt, fish, and make use of all the resources that are in the wild. Im curious though, what books are you reading to prep for your journey?
>>
>>29083288
Not him but I've fasted for 4 days drinking only water and it wasn't that bad, actually felt calm and at peace with the world on day 2 for some strange reason.
You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>29084094
>you don't know what you're talking about

you weren't also trying to survive in the world

you were probably just sitting around the whole time like a faggot

try marching through a dense thicket not having eaten for four days and tell me how you feel
>>
I've abandoned society to a certain extent. Saved up some money, got a cheap house, and am justa NEET now.

To me, this is far easier than going in the woods to grow your own food. What a backward notion.
>>
i was very close to doing this recently. but then i figured this would really suck in europe because im basically on par with refugees, and the language barrier sucks.

if i was born in america i would've left and live a hitchhiking/trainhopping lifestyle. but not in europe. instead i blew my money on a 1500 euro pc and im just gonna neet it up and forget about my life with videogames.
>>
>>29081727
theres always this faggot in every homeless thread. hang yourself. thousands of people are already doing this.
>>
>>29082483
>>29082535
>>29082774
do you senpaitachi wanna be my friends

bost contact
>>
>>29084190
i'm a bitch pussy so therefore everyone is :^(
>>
>>29084214
where is your house, and how much are your accumulated costs for taxes, internet, etc
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.