[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Army robots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1459638586614.jpg (53 KB, 480x445) Image search: [Google]
1459638586614.jpg
53 KB, 480x445
Any robots here in the army? If so, im 18 and i feel like ill be missing something if i dont join,but im terrified of boot camp. Not physically, i played football throughout high school( despite being completely anti social) and run distance daily. Im in really good shape, but i hate being yelled at and im not good at socializing. Also, how was basic training in comparison to actual army life? And how much free time do you get? This decision has been messing me up for a while and i dont know what to do.
>>
>>29080395
Hah, you aint gonna make 5 minutes little boy.

It ain't like your little games that you play. I advise you leave it to the big boys ok?
>>
>>29080423
faze clan faggot detected
>>
>>29080395
meh it's not what it's cracked up to be anymore. Just do as your told and don't be a douche and you'll just get smoked with the group instead of individually. The Army "culture" nowadays is complete and utter shit. Don't go with the "I'ma go defend muh country" or the fighting for glory army hua fuckin bullshit. If you really want a look at what military life is like do yourself a favor and read Catch 22. It's meant to be a comedy but it's a good glimpse of what it's really like being in the military.
>>
>>29080423
My dad was much weaker and slower than me and he made it.....
>>
join the navy or air force, not the army.
>>
>>29080986
Why is that? Its kind of a family thing to join the army, its one of the big reasons im considering.
>>
>>29080395
I was in the Navy, was a corpsman and spent half my time with the Marines so I didn't do much normal Navy shit.

If you're fit, it makes boot camp much easier. You will get yelled at as a group and if you fuck up, so the best advice is to try and remain as low key as possible and you will basically never get bothered. Just shut the fuck up, never volunteer for anything and do everything exactly as you're told. Do this and your DI's won't even know your name by week 3. Other kids will fuck up constantly, be out of shape and get beat (worked out) all the time and be in their DIs sights. Memorize your creeds or whatever shit they do in the Army before you go in and that will take some heat off of you as well.

The rest of your experience outside of basic depends greatly on your MOS. If you're doing anything combat arms related, a mechanic or culinary, its probably going to fucking suck. You will be in the field all the time, have long hours and deploy a bunch. If you're in something like satellite coms, intelligence ,computer tech, or any POG shit, its not going to be so bad.

A-school(MOS school?) will suck a little less than boot camp, but you will get some freedom and it will only last between 2-6 months. You will just be in class for 8 hours a day, plus some group PT and then do some kind of duty and cleaning parties 1-2 times a week. Basically it'll be 8 hours of schooling, then you can do whatever when you're off. For the first few weeks you will have a curfew, can't go off base and have to wear your uniform all the time, but you get full freedom after that.

Once you get to your first duty station, its mostly a 9-5. If you have a good MOS with good leadership, you will get out early some days and your duty rotation won't be too bad. If your MOS sucks and/or leadership sucks, you will have long, unnecessary hours, never get off early and hate your life.
>>
>>29080395
Army fag here about to get out after my 4 years is up. What are you looking to do in the army. Super hooah infantry Bullshit or POG shit. I can offer a big view into POG life just let me know man.
>>
>>29081048
the benefits, housing, training, and base pay are better in both. plus, the bct in both is easier. i was army for 2 years and air force for 8, both enlisted.
>>
>>29080395
Even with a good MOS, you'll still do dumb shit like show up at 4am for some retirement ceremony that doesnt start until 7, random uniform inspections, safety stand down for 8 hours because some dipshit drunk drove into the entrance gate, shit like that.

As you get higher in rank you do less grunt work and deal with a bit less BS, but you're also put in charge of morons that will get in trouble which then gets you in trouble since you were in charge. There will always be dipshits doing dumb shit, and you will always pay for it even if you had absolutely no control over it.

Like I said, it amounts to a 9-5 with more holidays than most civilians get when you're in garrison and your time off work is your time. If you're in the barracks you can get internet and cable, and if you're on a nice base you will usually have your own room and share a bathroom and common space with one other person. You'll get random inspections so you have to always keep your room clean.

As for deployments, it sucks. Long hours but you have nothing else to do so it doesn't matter. When you're off you are in the middle of fucking nowhere or a destroyed war zone so all you have uis vidyas, jerking off and working out. You get paid a lot more and theres nothing to spend it on, so you can save up like 20-30k easily in a 6-8 month deployment.

All in all, don't sweat getting yelled at, its usually pretty funny. You get used to it quick. Its the BS and politics of it all that fucking suck. Its really not that bad if you like your job though and can get good leadership consistently.
>>
>>29081228
I would absolutely love to hear about POG life. I havent decided yet but i dont think grunt life is for me.
>>
>>29081374
You get a decent job and free training for it that you can use in a civilian career. Only downfall is when you're with a group of combat arms soldiers you're basically a second class citizen, but jokes on them. Honorable discharge after 6 years and 2 years inactive in reserves, now I used my Army training and GI Bill to get a bachelor's degree as a biomedical technician, got certified for CRES shortly after I left the army (Honestly the reason I didn't stay enlisted. They outright REFUSED to send me to get my training for my CRES because I wasn't an E6) Got out and started working for one of the government contractors that had a tech sent to where I was deployed. I got an application from that techie and a foot in the door, now I make 80k a year. My friend from highschool went 11B and is unemployed.. So i'd say in the long run you'd rather be a POG even if its boring.
>>
Nz fag here, idk about US basic, but basic in NZ was a fucking laugh, best 14 weeks of my life
>>
I'm in the army, Military intel mos. Basic was a literally fucking joke and I'm just average in terms of how in shape I was coming in. You get used to the yelling after a week and then it's just counting down the days until you're done. It goes by a lot quicker than it seems
>>
>>29081374
If you don't think grunt life is for you. It's definitely not for you. Military intelligence is nice. As long as you aren't in a tactical unit you will have a nice cozy position in a air conditioned building behind a computer all day. Also you get tons of contact with contractors that if you impress can help you get your foot in the door with contracting.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.