[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm getting bored of anime, and after watching the shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1465120012719s[1].jpg (8 KB, 195x250) Image search: [Google]
1465120012719s[1].jpg
8 KB, 195x250
I'm getting bored of anime, and after watching the shit that is School Days, I have decided to stop watching anime altogether. But have never bothered watching TV series or sitcoms.

What should I start with? Anything good?
>>
Seinfeld
Peep Show
>>
>>29072930

Are you looking for anything more specific?
>>
Just go on the top 250 TV shows on imdb and find one that you like the look of
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 500x288
You can never go wrong with its always sunny in Philadelphia
>>
>>29072941
Seinfeld is an anime, desu
>>
>>29072930
>Peep Show
this

my personal favourite comedies are bottom, father ted, the it crowd, and plebs

those might be a bit niche to start with though
>>
Darkplace
>>
>>29072930
Lost
Band of Brothers
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Lie to Me
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Turn
Walking Dead
Six Feet Under
True Detectives
Silicon Valley
Fargo
House of Cards
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Downton Abbey

Time to watch real TV like a good adult.
>>
>>29072967

Yeah, comedy is a big no, something not too 'edgy' or long episodes.

Something 'deep' might be nice, my favourite animes were Ergo Proxy, From The New World, Madoka, that kinda stuff. Seems like most stuff nowadays kinda appeal to weaboo though, with all the traps and harems and shit which really turns me off.
>>
>>29072930
better call saul

don't bother with breakung bad.
>>
>>29073252
>Yeah, comedy is a big no, something not too 'edgy' or long episodes.

If you count hour long episodes as long, then there's pretty much nothing for you because all the great tv dramas have hour long episodes.
>>
>>29073330

Okay long hours are okay then.
>>
>>29072930
It's really not better, at all. Watch cinema.

t. Seasoned TV guru
>>
You should watch good anime instead of watching School Days unironically. Oreg
>>
>>29073092
>no The Sopranos
Trashed.
The good wife? Really? Le strong independent litigator woman
>>
>>29073366

Okay. Here are some GOAT dramas then. Some of them might be "edgy" depending on your definition, but it's just a fact that violence is a big part of modern drama. Though nothing here is as ridiculous as a teenage boy anime or something.

I also have to say, you might be too used to anime to appreciate some of these. The styles and rhythms of these shows are be drastically different, so try to allow yourself to get into these shows for a bit before dismissing them.

The Sopranos - often considered the height of tv drama. At its time it created a new depth in complex storylines and characters for tv shows. Tony Soprano, mob man, goes to see a therapist to deal with his panic attacks. This mob drama puts a big focus on characters' psychology.

Twin Peaks - Very quirky and weird mystery murder. "Who killed Laura Palmer?" was a popular question in the 90s when this was aired. Warning: after the main murder myster gets solved in season 2, the show turns to shit. Still worth checking out for still being one of the most unique shows on TV.

The Wire - Very complex cop drama about the city of Baltimore, which plays as a microcosm for the rest of America, exploring how crime, politics, education, and the media works in our lives. Warning: the staggering amount of black people in this show might be too disturbing for /pol/tards.

Breaking Bad - This has some backlash lately for not being as "deep" as other tv dramas, but the plot is very fast paced and filled with twists and turns, and the show is filled with great performances.

Six Feet Under - Family drama about a family run funeral home. Every episode begins with a death, with the plot mostly revolving around how the resulting funeral impacts the Fischers' lives. Contemplation of life, death, and "the meaning of it all" is a popular topic. Warning: gets very uneven in the middle (seasons 3 and 4), but the fifth and final season is perfect.
>>
Korean dramas
>>
watch LOST, It's GOAT.
>>
>>29072930
Daredevil
Game of thrones
The last kingdom
And Mr. robot,

or just try gaming videos like TheRadBrad so fucking comfy
>>
>>29073512

The last 2 anime I watched was Your Lie In April and School Days. Both were utter crap. And there's a lot of crap like Anohana, Angel Beats, Akuma no Riddle.. Maybe I should stop watching shit.
>>
>>29072930
Goddamn you sound retarded. Bailing out because of School Days is like driving a shitbox car, complaining about it being slow and shitty and trying to say that all cars are slow and shitty because of it. But if you're ready for something different to watch other than anime, >>29073732
Has got some good places to start out.
>>
>>29073732

The Twilight Zone - You probably already know a lot about this series because of how often it's parodied or homaged in other media. Anthology sci-fi/fantasy series with topics and themes that cover just about everything. Yeah it's old, and sometimes it shows, but this is still a very intelligent and classy show.

Mad Men - Takes place in an ad agency in the 60s, showing how the various cultural revolutions during the decade impact the characters' lives. Might seem a little slow at first, but this is just a subtle character-based show. Watching the cast grow and change throughout the show is a great pleasure.

Battlestar Galactica - The first great serial sci-fi show of the "Golden Age of TV". Remake of a very cheesy sci-fi show from the 70s about evil robots. This show is considerably darker than the original and instilled a lot of depth and moral issues into its stories.

There are a lot of other favourites (Oz, Deadwood, Friday Night Lights) that I don't want to get into due to laziness. Sorry if the amount of shows seems overwhelming (I love lots of shows), but if you do your research and give these shows a chance I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.
>>
>>29073842

LOST is wonderful for the first 2 seasons, but starts to head south really fast when it becomes obvious that the show's writers have no idea what all the mysteries are about and are just making shit up as they go along. Some parts that are great all the way through are the characters and the production value, which make the whole thing worth while. Just try not to get caught up in the whole mystery/sci-fi aspect of the show like many of its fans did, because you'll just be disappointed.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.