[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The man who is isolated, who is unable to share in the benefits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
>The man who is isolated, who is unable to share in the benefits of political association, or has no need to share because he is already self-sufficient, is no part of the polis, and must therefore be either a beast or a god.
what did he mean by this?
>>
>inb4 butthurt normalfags
>>
Outsiders are either pathetic or literally Superman. If they were "normal" and "average" they would be insiders.
>>
Is this from the Nico. Ethics?

Any way, basically Aristotle thought humans were inherently social beings, and that the bulk of our existence is defined within the "political" (what we call today social) lives we live. Men without political life, aka without collegues and friends, must not be men, and thus are either Gods (which is impossible) or beasts.
>>
>>29070319
it's from the politics
>>
>>29070313
Tht thing is, Aristotle belived in an absolutely perfect God that man could never hope to reach.
When he says "either beast or God", we only really meant half of it. Men without political lives are beasts; incomplete. Aristotle argued in his works on friendship that a virtuous man without friends is a waste of a virtuous man.
>>
idk why you autists are taking me literally it's pretty obvious what the quote means
>>
>>29070360
Ebin. Posting this one to /r/4chan :^)
>>
>>29070407
salty beast detected
>>
>>29070507
No, I had a hearty kek at this post. Really, top lel to you good sir!
>>
>>29070533
salty as shit that no one wants to read your 8th grade "analysis" (really rewording) of aristotle
>>
>>29070281
BEAST MODE
BEAST MODE
>>
>>29070693
Wow, you really blew me the fuck out lel xD
>>
>>29070878
i literally did tho you turboautist
>>
none of you are self sufficient though. so this quote does not apply to you
>>
>>29070941
You're right. I get by with a little help from the polis.
>>
>>29070926
Except you forgot to notice the poster count went up by one when I made >>29070407. I never commented on Aristotle. I've been taking the piss out of you, lad.
>>
>>29070963
spoken like a true turboautist
>>29070941
neets are the ultimate predators, they share nothing
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.