[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is anything that's popular generally low quality? Popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: 1465075446934.jpg (199 KB, 1000x727) Image search: [Google]
1465075446934.jpg
199 KB, 1000x727
Why is anything that's popular generally low quality?

Popular music, popular video games, popular movies, popular tv shows, popular cars
>>
Popular stuff is usually watered down and easy to get into.
>>
>>29066549
Because if it's popular, then it was made to appeal to the masses. The best way to capture the majority of the population's attention is to make content that is exciting and doesn't require too much thought to understand. Basically, it gives in to instant gratification.
>>
It is dumbed down to appeal to the masses. I think Game of Thrones is a perfect example. Listen to the dialogue, the plot threads, all the different characters, compare with post season 3, where they got a bunch of casual viewers after the red wedding. Where they started craving 'reaction' videos, how every episode now has to have a SHOCKING death
>>
>>29066549
Why does the girl in the front look like Norman Jayden?
>>
>>29066672
The books also got worse after the third one.
>>
it is rare when something good is given mainstream recognition. for example, aphex twin. how afx is as popular as he is will never not be a mystery to me
>>
lowest common denominator
>>
>>29066858
are you insulting aphex twin you faggot
>>
>>29066549
Probably because you're a hipster faggot/special snowflake
>>
"It is really one of the most serious faults which can be found with the whole conception of democracy, that its cultural function must move on the basis of the common denominator. Such a point of view indeed would make a mess of all of the values which we have developed for examining works of art. It would address one end of education in that it would consider that culture which was available to everyone, but in that achievement it would eliminate culture itself.

This is surely the death of all thought."
- Mark Rothko
>>
>>29066921
of course i'm not. his level of popularity is just confusing. what are they getting out of it? everyone else making music like that is nowhere near as popular as he is. he won a fucking grammy. he's played to giant huge crowds, including on major stages on festivals.
>>
>>29066921
i'm pretty sure he's doing the exact opposite, but i'm also very drunk and could maybe be wrong
>>
File: 1390024155429.jpg (81 KB, 600x1000) Image search: [Google]
1390024155429.jpg
81 KB, 600x1000
You only enjoy popular things, don't try to deny that.
>>29066858
AFX is terrible and always has been an absolute joke of 'IDM'
>>
>>29066857
That's because GRRM wasn't sure what he was doing with the story. The fourth and fifth books were originally one book. Then he split them in half. Then he took years to write the fifth book and left a bunch of stuff out of that as well. That's not how a writing process works at all. You can tell he doesn't try, no offense to him.
>>
>>29066549
It's not, you're just a contrarian faggot like most 4channers.
>>
>>29066612
>>29066672
This. Also why 4chan is the most popular imageboard. It's the shittiest one, directly followed by 8chad. We're basically the star wars fans of the internet.
>>
normies have shit taste
>>
>>29066983
who is good idm to you then
>>
everything that's popular now anyway. things that were popular decades ago are awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQxI3-xSeg
>>
>>29067021
4chan is popular because it still carries b/'s reputation from 2005-2007. People STILL talk about 4chan like it's /b/.
>>
>>29067040
quasimoto

>propriete gite
>>
It's because popular culture is a low culture, low culture and plebs, it is for the masses.
High culture isn't, that's why ballet or opera isn't very popular.
>>
>>29066983
AFX has genuine talent but he can't resist trolling the audience. He'll write a good track and then deliberately make it shit to get attention. This actually works and is the reason he's the most famous of his genre.
>>
>>29066549
It's just pandering. Hell, even your precious Japanese do it
>>
>>29066549

Because it's easily accessible, even to the dumbest retards. Think of pop, tv and pokemon.
>>
>>29067107
Never mind that they're expensive to attend and a lot of places don't even have opera houses.
>>
>>29067107
>ballet
Those girls always look anorexic and dancers have the toned asses like hockey players for men
>>
>>29067000
He would but he's probably making enough money to live a carefree life thanks to "contribution" to the show so....
>>
>>29067100
a link would be nice
>>
>>29067187
But he still whines about how the show gets things wrong and tries to do damage control and pretend his book series is still relevant. He's also notorious for getting butthurt when people say he won't finish the books before he dies. Kek.
>>
>>29066549

I honestly don't agree. I thought the same too, but then I started getting into more mainstream stuff, and I was actually surprised at the depth of the content. Just find what you like and enjoy it. There is a lot of stuff in the "mainstream" that is quite good.

Also, I don't want to be like those "cringe fedora neckbeard" guys who think they are so high cultured and born in the wrong generation.
>>
>>29067107

Working opera singer here

I think opera isn't popular because the non high budget productions (ie: 95% of the shit you're gonna see in your area) and even most of the ones done by massive fuckhuge opera companies are corny and contrived as all fucking hell. Opera has no idea what the fuck it wants to be.
>>
>>29067271
>There is a lot of stuff in the "mainstream" that is quite good.
The Beatles were probably the most popular pop musicians. At first they were boring, but they kept improving (and taking more drugs) and ended up making great music.
>>
>>29067040
There is none, that's why AFX is terrible instead of average or something neutral like that.
>>29067116
He has none
>>29067330
>and even most of the ones done by massive fuckhuge opera companies are corny and contrived as all fucking hell
>Opera has no idea what the fuck it wants to be.
Typical musician doesn't understand operatic theory or the history of opera.
>>29067338
no.
>>
File: 1461789863113.jpg (71 KB, 599x405) Image search: [Google]
1461789863113.jpg
71 KB, 599x405
>>29066549
HURRRRRR DURRRRR I-I-IM UNIQUE HHURRR
>>
>>29067330
>Opera has no idea what the fuck it wants to be.
That's the impression I get from a lot of theater stuff. Especially local productions or college productions. People think that just because it's held in the theater, that it's automatically refined high quality art.

No, bitch. It requires effort.
>>
>>29067330
I know very little about opera, but it seems to me that a superior opera would rely on the music and talent of the performers, rather than costumes, stage dressing, and spectacle.
>>
>>29067358
whats good then, anon
>>
>>29067448
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVjo_mhcGG8

There is no secular music of value.
>>
>>29067358

Don't know what operatic theory is and I DGAF about the history of it. You talking about the music theory that goes into composing the arias?

Anyway, I don't think I need to know what that shit is, all I know is that when I have to watch my peers perform, I'm impressed by their vocal technique but at the same time I cringe so hard inside that I have to go off to my happy place in order to not be overwhelmed by how awful it is. When it's done right, it's fucking amazing. But most of the local shit isn't done right.

>>29067417

>it seems to me that a superior opera would rely on the music and talent of the performers, rather than costumes, stage dressing, and spectacle.

A good opera production has both. That's one of the main reasons opera is dying; it's ridiculously expensive to do right, and when it's done wrong, it's just a bunch of people standing around shouting out shit really fucking loudly and melodramatically in a church while a lonely 60 year old lady plays piano accompaniment in the background.
>>
>>29067679
ohhh. you're on the spectrum. makes sense. thanks for the link!
>>
>>29067684
Operatic theory is the music theory and the dramatic theory.
>Anyway, I don't think I need to know what that shit is
Yes you do, perhaps if you did you wouldn't be surrounded by hacks.
>>29067710
Said the ADHD child that's obsessed with pompous dance music.
>>
>>29067757
you know nothing of the contents of my library of music. I have tons of classical on vinyl. I don't have adhd, but I do enjoy drugs the claim treats that.

Enjoy your autism, and again, thanks for the link!
>>
>>29067757

But what if I don't give a shit about being surrounded by hacks? What if I'm happy with making a living being a big fish in a small pond?
>>
Well, it's gotta cater to the lowest common denominator. If the story or melody or humor or whatever is too complex, many people won't understand. There's actually been a noticeable loss of quality in movies, because producers are trying to make a killing on the international market now, instead of just the domestic one. Asians, for instance, have very different sensibilities, so they find it difficult to follow or understand a movie when it's too complicated or when it's only pertinent to life in the West. So lately studios have been pushing out all these action movies and slapstick comedy films. Some slint-eye in Beijing doesn't need to have much of a grip on American culture to understand explosions and fart jokes.
>>
>>29066858
I wouldn't say he's popular per se. He's got a fair amount of people who know about him, mostly hipsters and electronicfags, but it's still pretty niche material.

Plus like 80% of the people who know Aphex Twin probably have never listened.
>>
>>29067797
> I have tons of classical on vinyl.
>classical
Oh look, you're illiterate!
>but I do enjoy drugs the claim treats that.
Sure, that's why mommy gets them for you.
>>
>>29067904
it was just something i happened to think of
>>
>>29066549
Things that are popular tend to have qualities that cater to the lowest common denominator audience.
>>
>>29066895
This is the correct answer. Any other answer is a waste of words.
>>
kys hipsters
>>
>>29066549
>implying anything is objective
fucking who cares, if you like something you like it
>>
>>29066549
is that an mtf in the back? he doesn't pass
>>
File: 1324363978060.jpg (44 KB, 383x349) Image search: [Google]
1324363978060.jpg
44 KB, 383x349
>>29066573

As always, the first post is always the most correct and shortest answer to the question.
>>
>>29068963
But anon, I NEED to feel superior to people!!
>>
>>29066549
Because it has to be simple enough to be understood by the masses. If it can be universally understood, and it can be liked universally, its popular. That being said, not being understood by some doesn't make things good, just challenging (or fucking stupid)
>>
Easiest to digest and talk about with other people.
>>
>>29066549
lowest common denominator

Is this original enough you fucking nigger loving gooks? this fucking board I swear
>>
>>29069031
What is the sauce of that pic? I know it's Christina Hendricks, but what show is it?
>>
>>29067271
Only thing I can't agree with you on is the music. Hearing shit that's popular around the country and even just in my own city, upsets me when it's not even that good. Everything else is fine for the most part.
>>
>>29069174

I don't fucking know.

All I care about is her tits, you fag.
>>
>>29067679
Damn anon this was beautiful.
>>
>>29069441
Wow... one pathetic Samefag.
>>
>>29066549
because the masses are not smart. the masses are uneducated and have low intellect, thus spend time and money on low quality goods and services, without even being aware of it.
>>
>>29066672

What the hell you talking about famalam? Other than Hodor, the traitors at the wall, the Dathraki burned in the house and the prince guy killed by his sister, I can't think of anyone of note who's been killed this season.
>>
>>29066549
Simply because either you get something that is great for a small amount of people, or something that is okay for a lot of people.

And then there's marketing and promotion. And appealing to the lowest common denominator.
>>
Accessibility?

When you say popular music I think radio. When you say popular car I thin corollas and impalas (cheap). When you say popular games I think xbox hype AAAs. TV shows is all prime time network tv.
>>
>>29066549
High quality stuff often takes some effort to appreciate.
>>
>>29066549
Popular stuff is generally above average quality. It's the reason it becomes popular in the first place. Certain people just have an almost instinctive reaction to dislike anything that is popular so that they can claim to elevate themselves above everyone else. Generally very insecure and narcissistic people do it.

That's not to say that most popular things are actually good. some are, some aren't, but they're certainly better than average most of the time.
>>
>>29067064
No, /b/ just set the standard for Western imageboard culture around that time; if anything, it became the catalyst for why 4chan is now essentially the MTV of imageboards (even in the absence of our lord and saviour mootles).

To be honest, the only cunts who still talk about 4chan as a whole as if it were /b/ is 9faggers and iFunny cunts. As if they were ever the taste-makers of internet culture. lol
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.