[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good Movies from the 2010s So Far
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 20
File: ex_machina-368494509-large.jpg (166 KB, 810x1200) Image search: [Google]
ex_machina-368494509-large.jpg
166 KB, 810x1200
I just watched pic related because it was suggested here a few weeks ago. Thanks anon for the great film.

Like most people here I don't watch tv, I use adblock, and don't leave the house often enough to see many advertisements so I have basically no clue what's been released in the last 5 years or so.

What movies did you see lately that you would recommend?
>>
File: drive_poster_abdu.jpg (221 KB, 690x1048) Image search: [Google]
drive_poster_abdu.jpg
221 KB, 690x1048
>>29062730
This , I recommend.
>>
>>29062730

Interstellar was fun. Not 10/10, but worth a watch.
>>
It's a pretty old movie but it stands the test of time: The Incredible Shrinking Man

Another good movie: The Thin Red Line
All of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (Shaun o the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) really great comedy movies.
>>
>>29062771
Okay movie, not amazing

>>29062785
Decent, but seeing it in theatre was a large part of the impact. Great visuals and soundtrack.

>>29062794
>(Shaun o the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End)
First two are great, third one is not as good
>>
>>29062838
>Decent, but seeing it in theatre was a large part of the impact. Great visuals and soundtrack.

I can imagine. That's why I still love Prometheus despite it being objectively terrible.
>>
>>29062730
Watch
>no country for old men
If you like it I'll give you more recommendations
>>
Drive, Inside Llewyn Davis

Also Op, I wasn't too fond of Ex Machina as a whole, but Oscar Isaac's performance was amazing.
>>
File: filth.jpg (233 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
filth.jpg
233 KB, 1000x1500
I love Irvine Welsh books and this movie is great too
>>
>>29062884
I didn't get the point of that movie
>>
>>29062884
>2010s
Canst thou read?
>>
File: John_Wick_TeaserPoster[1].jpg (36 KB, 280x420) Image search: [Google]
John_Wick_TeaserPoster[1].jpg
36 KB, 280x420
One of the best action movies in the past 5 years.
>>
Warning: I've been told I have terrible taste.

>Spring Breaker
>Cosmopolis
>Only God Forgives
>The Counselor
>Blue is the Warmest Color
>Nightcrawler
>The Hunt
>>
>>29062920

You need to read the book. Dat last line.

"In the end there was truly no country for old men."

I cry every time.
>>
>>29062730
Ghost World tbqh family.
>>
>>29062985
>Blue is the Warmest meme
Kill yourself
>>
Batman vs Superman my mind is so rotted I can't think of another one
>>
File: 1316747571190.jpg (6 KB, 300x303) Image search: [Google]
1316747571190.jpg
6 KB, 300x303
>>29062952
This.

I'd go as far as saying it IS the best action movie in the past 5 years.
>>
hateful eight.
>>
here's a movie about never leaving the house
>>
Let the Right One In
Chronicle
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World (it's style over substance but it's good)
Passion Play (mostly good because of the wings)
>>
>>29063003
You gotta be fucking with me. That reminds me of Taxi Driver, when Travis Bickle said "You talkin to me? I'm a Taxi Driver"
>>
>>29062985
only god forgives was like drive but without anything that made drive good aside from thoughtful cinematography.

it was like reading one of those fancy coffee table photography books at rich peoples houses, except the pictures are about the bangkok underworld
>>
>>29063059

Beats the last line of The Road.

"In the end the Boy chose to walk down The Road after all."
>>
most, if not all of the recent Marvel movies are pretty decent. Ant Man and Cap'n Murica: Winter Soldier are pretty good
also a lot of Disney animations are nice
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was a pretty good spy movie
Django Unchained was a great one (as well as any other Tarantino film)
The Martian was a great film/book but "i preferred le book meme" is strong here

>>29062952
that was a pretty sick film, desu

>inb4 i have shit taste / are a blind capitalist
>>
>>29063163
>The Martian was a great film/book but "i preferred le book meme" is strong here

Really?

"Finally, at long last, he realized that he was The Martian."
>>
>>29063003
>>29063059
>>29063088

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQob4AOCsQ

Skip to 3:48. Trust me. This shit has to stop.
>>
>>29063179
eh. probably just me, but i felt the movie was faster and cut out a lot of the fun dialogue from the book. a lot of Watney's rambling was the reason I liked the book.
>>
>>29062771
ok ok someone tell me if this is just a meme or if it's worthwhile. Please help me break through the levels of irony.

>>29062785
I actually forgot about this movie. I told myself I would see it, but never wrote it down. Added to the list.

>>29062794
I already saw Honey I Shrunk the Kids so I think I'm ok. I'll add it to the list
Also I've seen Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I enjoyed both of them.

>>29062884
Another movie I forgot about. Thanks, added.

>>29062896
I watched a trailer and I'm not sure if I'll like it. A few of the scenes looked appealing but I'm not sure exactly where the movie is going. I'll give it a shot though. I like not knowing the plot of the movie from the trailer anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was going to respond to everyone but that's too much and not many would really care. Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to at least consider everything listed and watch the trailers.

And don't forget to check out the movie of the century if you haven't already. Pic related.
>>
>>29062952
Is this the one with that smooth lil gun scene
>>
>>29062952
I had a major headache when I watched it. It probably ruined the movie for me, cause I don't remember it wowing me.
>>
File: image.jpg (286 KB, 864x922) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286 KB, 864x922
>>29062896
this, drive is pure kino
>>
So good, that the americans did a bad copy of it, this movie has an incredible photography, story, fighting scenes, everything, watch it.
>>
>>29062730
if you like slow scifi, check out under the skin and beyond the black rainbow
>>
>>29065370
OP said 2010s. But I agree fantastic movie.
>>
>>29063274
>that movie
>that FOOD FIIIIGHT
>that climax with the marching band
>all this nostalgia
Now I have to watch it again, anon. Dammit.
>>
>>29065370
I've watched this more than any other movie probably. Except maybe Lost in Translation.
>>
this Norwegian movie Blind (2014) is a must watch , the visuals, photography everything is so beautifully done it will melt your face
>>
Nobody mentioned the masterpieces starring Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler and Enemy.
Even Snowpiercer has a great philosophical concept about God and Satan if you think about it.
Mustang, Mommy, Room are also good watch
>>
>>29062730
This movie was complete ass. So drawn out and a stupid fucking ending. It's so cool she's going to go be a real person. You know, just right until she needs access to the proprietary touch-based charging panels that are literally fucking no where else except the shitlord billionaire's house.
>>
Birdman
>>
>>29068681
Fug I never noticed that little plot hole.

I dunno why robos like Ex Machina so much. It's feminist drivel through and through.
>da evil rich man literally objectifying women
>The everyman guy unknowingly participates in the patriarchal scheme
>le woman must escape the oppressive environment
>no man can go unpunished so she traps the guy even though he tried to help her
>>
predestination was pretty damn good.
Scott Pilgrim vs The World was probably my favourite though.
>>
>>29069302
Have you even watched the movie you chucklefuck cuck? The robot turns out to be a soulless non-human. It wasn't feminist at all.
>>
mad max fampai
>>
File: It_Follows_(poster).jpg (23 KB, 260x386) Image search: [Google]
It_Follows_(poster).jpg
23 KB, 260x386
>>29062730
It Follows.

Best horror I've seen in years. Treats the old traditions with respect, with normalfags punished for degeneracy. Reminds me a lot of Halloween. It's weird how right wing types often oppose horror movies when it's the most socially conservative genre there is.
>>
>>29071474
This.
Has a nothing ending but the bulk of it is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1QwC-y3XMc
>When the theme kicks in at 0:45
>>
File: The-Guest-UK-Quad-Poster.jpg (158 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
The-Guest-UK-Quad-Poster.jpg
158 KB, 1280x960
>>29062730
Pic related is pretty great
>>
>>29071474
Worst horror film I have seen
>>
>>29071839
What? Fuck you man, I thought it was one of the better ones of the last few years. The ending was pretty bad, the whole swimming pool thing made no sense. I liked the very end with the obscure figure following.

Also, the naked guy on the roof was a legitimate scare. So was the hallway guy. This movie got a lot of actual scares in instead of just playing loud noises and showing stuff really fast.

My biggest complaint is that horror movies now don't really seem to be in touch with what horror even is. They think loud noise is scary, and unfortunately they have been doing that so long they have conditioned most normalfags to think it is scary, too. There is no more creepy shit or just fear of the unknown in general. I guess that was why I liked the naked guy on the roof bit. They were just sitting there all tired and relaxed, talking about how she hasn't seen it in a few days. Then they decide to leave, and the fucker was up on the roof the whole time. Legitimately creepy stuff like that just doesn't happen anymore.
>>
>>29062730
>>29070915
This, Mad Max was perfect
>>
File: 1436564462311.jpg (409 KB, 1920x1088) Image search: [Google]
1436564462311.jpg
409 KB, 1920x1088
>>29062838
I'm annoyed I didn't see Interstellar in the cinema. I think it's the best movie I've seen in a while and I agree about the soundtrack and visuals. It's got the best sound mixing of any movie I've seen.

My favourite bit is when Matt Damon is in the air lock and it suddenly explodes and cuts to silence immediately.
>>
>>29071839
>>29071925 mostly covers it.

Quote from the Wikipedia page:
"Creepy, suspenseful and sustained, this skillfully made lo-fi horror movie plays knowingly with genre tropes and yet never winks at the audience, giving it a refreshing face-value earnestness that makes it all the more gripping." -- David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter

It's that earnestness that's lacking in too many modern movies. You can tell it's made by people who know and love the old classics, but they don't go out of their way to prove it. It's played completely straight, no irony or 4th wall breaking.
>>
>>29065760
In that case, I saw the devil is an alternative.
>>
>>29071839
You need to watch #Horror then
>>
Hope no one minds me posting this long ass list but all of them are pretty good desu

Enemy
Prisoners
The double
The machinist
Mr nobody
American psycho
Memento
Inception
Fight club
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Primer
Donnie darko
Moon
A history of violence
American history x
Looper
12 monkeys
Seven
Zodiac
Under the skin
The game
Mulholland drive
Vanila sky
Usual suspects
Black swan
Enter the void
Pans laberinth
Buterfly effect
Groundhog day
Filth
One flew over the ckockoo's nest
Cube
Lord of the rings
Mr bronson
Nightcrawler
Lock stock and two smocking barrels
Snatch
Layer cake
interstelar
The departed
shine
croutching dragon hidden tiger
apocalypto
american beauty
sixth sense
the truman show
requiem for a dream
amelie
girl interrupted
room
the perfume
the edge of tomorrow
birdman
>>
>>29072047
About 9/10 of these are not from 2010+
>>
>>29071982
Yeah I came when that happened
>>
>>29071839
Either you're lying or you haven't watched many horror films. You have horrible taste either way.
>>
>>29062730
Mad Max Fury Road
>>
File: Inside-Llewyn-Davis1.jpg (130 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Inside-Llewyn-Davis1.jpg
130 KB, 1920x1080
>>29062730
One of my fav movies of the 2010 is Inside Llewyn Davis

Love it
>>
>>29073635
so dark and lonely, fucking love the atmosphere/vibe
>>
>>29073736
>tfw you relate to Llewyn
>>
>good movies
>20xx
Kek
>>
>>29070003
>soulless non human
>not feminist
>>
>>29062730
I liked it, but the feminist agenda was so malignantly hidden and manipulative. It is a brainwash, a pretty one.
>>
>>29062914
this is a solid movie
>>
>>29069302
>>29074556
>>29074615
>feminist
The lesson of the movie was to think with your brain, and not your dick, when dealing with a vagina. The robots were evil and used them and tossed them aside.
>>
File: ETV.jpg (156 KB, 485x729) Image search: [Google]
ETV.jpg
156 KB, 485x729
Enter The Void is the best 2010 film imo, it's so chill and not as chaotic as the trailer can make it seem. I'd advise watching it at night in a dark room with no background noise.
>>
>>29071982
Come on TARS!!
>>
>>29062952
Good taste brah
>>
>>29062914
Watched it recently, was expecting some sort of dark comedy with corrupt cops, caught me off guard
>>
District 9
Yeah it's not from the 2010s but it's breedy gud.
A little on the nose with the parallels with apartheid but really nice nonetheless
>>
>>29072042
Please do not watch #Horror.
>>
>>29071982
>watch Interstellar
>one scene is shot in the baseball stadium of the shitty town I grew up in

I was fucking floored.
>>
>>29075190
Yeah sure, but not really. The makers wanted to portray her as a hero, and in the movie she was. She used her skills and literally crushes a patriarchy.

You, the thinker who thinks independently, can then make your own lesson, but it will be your own.
>>29075283
He was very disappointed with it and although I was very impressed seeing it for the first time, the second watch combined with more analysis of scoring and scenes made me realize, there isn't much going on. Visually, yes, and partially audio wise too. But mostly it is a fancy flicker show and irreversible has way more to offer.
>>
>>29070003
Yeah, no. She was portrayed in a positive manner. Trust me I have asked many people. Mostly females enjoy it.
>>
>>29071474
I have very mixed feelings on this movie honestly. Everyone was calling it a masterpiece but I do have a lot of problems with it, despite enjoying it.

The cast was absolutely Cabin in The Woods tier retarded, all fucking each other even KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS, and even in that regard, what happens when it gets you doesn't make any sense and is inconsistent. The chick at the start is absolutely fucking brutalized for example, but later on people just get the life sucked out of them and nothing else. I did like when "It" became extremely fucked up looking and weird though when it was getting close, that was great.

The bit before the ending is completely awful though really. I get that with the real ending they wanted to go with ambiguity on whether it was alive still or not, but could they not have thought up a less retarded and unbelievable way to kill it besides dropping a bunch of toasters in a pool when it gets in? That's laughably loony tunes tier.
>>
File: green room.jpg (102 KB, 630x1200) Image search: [Google]
green room.jpg
102 KB, 630x1200
>>29062730

Ex Machina, Sicario, Blue Ruin and Green Room are the best movies of the decade so far

Green room especially. I have never had such a visceral reaction to watching a movie
>>
>>29077539
This poster made me spill my water. Is this a comedy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0yL-avlEsg
>>
>>29077575

No, but I don't see the issue with the poster
>>
File: her.jpg (58 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
her.jpg
58 KB, 486x720
>>29062730
I recommend pic related.
>>
>>29077689
Are you kidding me? Are we even looking at the same poster? It is ridiculous.
>>
>>29077785

It's a dude with a machete in a dark hallway. I don't get it
>>
I'll try to list some movies you don't see much in these threads.
>if you like martial arts showcases
Raid movies
Kill em all
Stories aren't great but the chop sockey is brutal

>if you like so bad they're good movies
Baytown outlaws
An admittedly horrible movie, but entertainingly stupid with no cut cards.

>war movies
fury
Tanks, some fun characters, and a sad story

>western
Bone tomahawk
While everyone was praising hateful 8, this slipped in under the radar completely under rated. A little slow but good story.
>>
File: the_lobster.jpg (52 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
the_lobster.jpg
52 KB, 1280x721
watch The Lobster
>>
>>29062952
No one liked this movie.
>>
>>29062730
Donnie fucking Darko OP
My mind is blown
>>
Whiplash. I saw it last night, and it was fucking amazing. 10/10
>>
File: dick.jpg (268 KB, 1920x808) Image search: [Google]
dick.jpg
268 KB, 1920x808
>>29062730
Can't believe no one said Zootopia yet.
>>
>>29078558
>I didn't like this movie
>>
>Chronicle
Pretty much what would happen if a robot got super powers. Would recommend.
>>
>>29078558
I liked it. It's just a simple movie of a man killing a bunch of other people. If you want a solid plot, this is not the movie for you.
>>
File: snowtown.jpg (104 KB, 527x715) Image search: [Google]
snowtown.jpg
104 KB, 527x715
watched this the other day, it was bretty gud desu
>>
Dogtooth
The witch
The revenant
Titus
Hobo with a shotgun
Eden lake
The hateful 8
>>
>>29079704
This is a top tier movie. Also, I'm from Adelaide so this basically serves as a manual on how to lead my life. Do you want to put on the cricket while I rape you bro?
>>
>>29079870
yeah, i'm game! i dont think it'll end to well for you tho
>>
>>29076776
>The makers wanted to portray her as a hero
What seriously? I just thought it was one of those movies where everyone dies at the end. Why did that one guy had to die? What did he do wrong?
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.