[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing a book and I need ideas for interesting characters.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: the-loud-house-post.jpg (587 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
the-loud-house-post.jpg
587 KB, 960x540
Writing a book and I need ideas for interesting characters.

Help me come up with the best personality design that I can steal and use.
>>
>>29055998
What kind of book are you writing, Anon?
>>
>>29055998
What the fuck is pic, is it some harem shit?
>>
File: Adachi.png (209 KB, 554x838) Image search: [Google]
Adachi.png
209 KB, 554x838
A nice guy who is overly friendly towards others and always willing to help. Bit of a goofball, and pretty smart as well.
Hates people who are better than him. Hates women because they don't give him the time of day. Thinks the world is very boring.
>>
>>29056022
A book about 6 middle school girls.

>>29056043
Incest harem.
>>
>>29055998
>Intelligent
>Nihilistic
>Wicked sense of humor

Perfect character my man
>>
>>29056064
>Doing self-inserts
>>
File: 1460219654637.jpg (1 MB, 1028x1285) Image search: [Google]
1460219654637.jpg
1 MB, 1028x1285
>>29056069
Do the girls get romantic with each other?
>>
>>29056064
Hating people who are better than you is such a beta thing to do. Why not admire them for their achievements?
>>
>>29055998
OP watch the movie Young Adult. The main character will teach you all you need to know about being a writer.
>>
>>29056106
I've thought of having one character who's super kawaii and takes advantage of this. Like "I look like an ice cream cone with these sprinkles on my head, don't I? You know you wanna lick my head." In a non-romantic, non-sexual way.
>>
>>29056086
Not a self insert. I was just describing the character from the pic.
>>29056121
That's how he is in the game.
>>
>>29055998
characters are the centerpiece of the book
>inb4 "muh plot"
plot-driven narratives are simplistic as fuck
if you can't think of compelling characters on your own you have no business writing a book.
kill yourself you fucking sham
>>
>>29056157
It would be cute if it was just fluffy light romance between the girls like Yuru Yuri, maybe they cuddle at a sleep over and make a pinky promise under the covers. I would read something like that
>>
>>29056171
>BOOKS MUST BE WRITTEN MY WAY!!
>>
>>29056180
I'd like to do something cute like that, but in a non-romantic way. I'd like them all to be cute in their own ways.
>>
wojak

a tragically inadequate man just trying to live his life. very insightful man whos thinks to himself often and notices small details very easily. one of his biggest problems is translating his thoughts to words. despite his "talent", wojak is only of average intelligence and often questions himself and why others minds operate on an entirely different level than his. working in a dead end wageslave job with a nigh useless degree, wojak wants to blame others for his misfortunes and failures and jumps to that conclusion first in his mind, but knows it wrong deep down. he gives up easily when the task at hand shows moderate signs of difficulty or resistance, but will truck on when someone else is motivating him. this relates to his dependency on others, which his life alone in his shitty apartment further exacerbates.

i could go on forever
>>
>>29055998
>I'm writing a book
>except I'm literally going to ask you to write it for me

Why do you set out to do something you don't even want to do?
>>
>>29056364
This is in no way whatsoever what I said. Kill yourself.
>>
>>29055998
Wasn't that show rebooted? Wasn't it supposed to be a house full or rock'n'roll kids? I remember commercials for that. Now they changed the main character into a pasty little cuck. Trying to force a white stereotype as usual
>>
>>29056399
>Literally the least politically correct cartoon on TV right now
>Trying to make it sound like a left-wing agenda cartoon
10/10 b8. Made me rage.
>>
File: 1460254309537.png (226 KB, 468x345) Image search: [Google]
1460254309537.png
226 KB, 468x345
The best kind of character is one who is thoroughly developed throughout your book. This can be through flashbacks to events prior to the book and events that the character experiences in the book. The character doesn't necessarily have to have any tributes to be considered "good" other than being complex. They can be good or evil, heroic or cowardly, obnoxious or quiet, as long as they have good reason to be through detailed and engaging plot devices. A common trope is to have a "flawed" or disliked character improve over the course of a story through unique challenges, although you can do just the opposite. Ultimately a great character is one who does not make one dimensional decisions based on their characteristics alone, but one that reacts differently depending on the circumstances of a situation; possessing a certain duality that causes them to act drastically different due to an emotional response. These types of characters are most intriguing to the audience, not only because the characters are dynamic but also because audiences can relate to their dilemmas.

At the heart of nearly ever highly rated movie you're likely to find a character such as I have described.
>>
>>29056069
How about a girl who comes from an abusive family and has basically been tortured by the world since birth. Seeing that she is only in the middle school, her troubles have just begun. Her mother constantly neglects her and her father isn't a much better person. She always feels sad, but can't exactly find a reason since she is too young. Her peers are cruel to her, most of the time without a reason. Somehow, she becomes friends with 5 of the other girls, but is only close to one of them.

What do you think, Anon?
>>
>>29056430
If you think anything, ANYTHING seen on television is NOT there for the purpose of propaganda and indoctrination, then you are a fool to be pitied.
>>
>>29056453
I feel like it's been done. I'd prefer all of the girls to have normal carefree lives that you'd find on /c/. I'm not really looking for a back story (I can do that myself) as much as specific personality traits.
>>
>>29056234
Yes, in fact, they do.
>>
>>29056432
So basically have a character with a flaw and use the plot to advance their appeal as they advance in their dilemma? Good post.
>>
Base your characters off people you know. Helps me, at least.
>>
>>29056526
Here are some personality traits for a girl:
>Can make good jokes
>Is always helpful to others, even if it may inconvenience her
>Is VERY altruistic
>Likes riding a bicycle
>Likes writing stories
>Is interested in studying
>She will always be 100% brutally honest with you
>She dislikes aggressive boys, and prefers quiet, calm and collected types of boys
Do any of these sound good?
>>
Learn not to do what The Loud House is doing.
>>
>>29056916
Yeah, these are all really good! I might just use some of these!
>>
>>29057016
You're welcome, Anon.
Blox
>>
>>29056572

Yes, that would make a complex character. For example you can have a girl who is eccentric to the point of grossing out her peers which makes her nervous and soft spoken, yet have a situation where that eccentricity becomes an advantage (by noticing a detail or engaging in an act the others wouldn't) that helps the audience appreciate her while developing into more confident or expressive character.

This is just one of many examples but I think you get the idea. You can even have a character that is already developed and does not change who they are, but faces a dilemma in making a choice pertinent to who they are instead. Like a studious girl who prefers to read alone suddenly gaining new friends and deciding when or how to spend time with her friends, sometimes making unpopular decisions with the audience will help her be more believable as a dynamic character.
>>
>>29056430
it's also the least funny
>>
File: uno.png (453 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
uno.png
453 KB, 900x900
I have an idea that I haven't really tested yet. I think I'd base certain characters off of songs or albums I like and sort of write short bio's for them beforehand to more easily integrate them into the story. Then I'd also listen to different shit when writing different actual plot scenes on loop to try and match the tone.

Like right now I'm writing the prologue of something with a "US soldiers arriving in an occupied Middle Eastern city" sort of feel but with aliens on an alien world while listening to Lime in the Coconut over and over.
>>
>>29057278
"what's going on here? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE? WILL YOU NOT TALK TO ME?"
>>
>>29057278

Sounds like a great musical. Really. Each scenario could be a different genre of music if you really wanted to stretch the song/album to character quality.
>>
File: UNO.png (409 KB, 573x445) Image search: [Google]
UNO.png
409 KB, 573x445
>>29057338
Am I on /r9k/ or did this turn into /tv/ all of a sudddaaaa-
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.