[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How close is medical science to discovering immortality? I really,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10
File: 1458928735980.jpg (21 KB, 219x207) Image search: [Google]
1458928735980.jpg
21 KB, 219x207
How close is medical science to discovering immortality?

I really, really don't wanna die.
>>
When you're older you probably won't care as much about dying.

Also Christianity is true.
>>
Perhaps you will yet discover it yourself. I suspect you still have time aplenty.
What so drives your will to live though? I'm truly curious to know, amidst all this sadness.
>>
I came here to steal the image, and you fucking give me a thumbnail.

Kys
>>29042605
Is it?
>>
>>29042477

They don't necessarily need to discover immortality in your lifetime, they just have to discover life-extension technology that gives you enough time to reach the next breakthrough. If that keeps happening you can Ray Kurzweil your way to biological immortality, and enjoy that until the heat death of the universe.
>>
>when ya remember your own mortality and your tummy sinks
>>
>>29042477
It's never going to happen.
You'll die and be forgotten.
>>
>>29042605
>Also Christianity is true.

I'd love for it to be true.

But you're gonna have to prove it desu senpai
>>
>>29042652
this

also, OP, give up. The heat death of the universe symbolizes the mortality of all existence. humans may extend their life expectancy by a few short decades over the next few millennia, but it will never be significant enough to hint at a possibility of immortality.

an AI dyson sphere would occur before that, and no matter how organic, it would philosophically not be able to sustain your living consciousness in a recognizable form. the dyson sphere may not be sci-fi, but "uploading consciousness" is.
>>
File: SkypePhoto_20160511_144710.jpg (147 KB, 698x1200) Image search: [Google]
SkypePhoto_20160511_144710.jpg
147 KB, 698x1200
>>29042685
If you're at that amoral stage I was at a year ago, you need something to ease you into it. Common Filth Radio on YouTube us a Christian show but it's still full of memes and good times. Listen to it every night, you'll laugh and learn stuff but you'll also be reminded you have some secondary sense of right and wrong. It's a holy broadcast.

All you need is the key to open the door, once it's open you can explore with this inexplicable feeling, toy around with it. My guess is that it's God. Personally I think that God is our sense of guilt, our emotions, and how they hit us.

Then again I know nothing. Just find good Christian content out there that is more geared towards non normie internet folk. It exists, and I could link you some good stuff to introduce you to it if you'd like, man. Tell me if so.
>>
You're gonna die

But you will also be able to upload your consciousness into the "cloud", in some 30-40 years.

You yourself are still gonna cease to exist, fade away into eternal dreamless slumber, but if you so desire (and have the money) will probably be able to "live forever" as your brain is uploaded.

It really depends on what your definition of life and your definition of "yourself" is.
>>
The cowards who are afraid to die are the ones who deserve death the most.
>>
>>29042648
No, it's not. It's just a fucking scam
>>
File: 4f2.png (161 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
4f2.png
161 KB, 557x605
Depends on what form of immortality you're thinking of. The earliest, which would be more of a glorified life extension, will more than likely available in the next 3 to 5 decades, but it would essentially be isolation tanks for the brain and a sort of matrix, and even then it's not guaranteed it would be available or even known to the public. Brains implanted into cybernetically and biologically augmented clone bodies will be the next major iteration, but for that to possible we will need to master and augment several major medical fields we know next to nothing about. Our knowledge of robotics is still very much in its infancy and I wouldn't expect full on cyborg bodies for several centuries, if at all.

TL;DR: if you're rich, lucky, and take care of yourself you may be able to extend your life long enough to achieve biological immortality, but it's unlikely.
>>
I long for death, but I won't kill myself until my parents die. How anyone would not wish to die is beyond me.
>>
>>29042477
>I really, really don't wanna die
Well, you're going to
Tonight, you will die in your sleep
And a new person will awaken in your body
He will have all your memories, all your aspirations, all your hopes and fears.
But he won't be you
>>
>>29042899
And on what grounds do you rule "uploading consciousness" as complete sci-fi?? We already have brain mapping technology, if it was perfect and we were able to create biological "blank-slate" humans, what's stopping us from changing the neurons in that new body to match that of the old one.

What is consciousness after all, but the sentience we self perceive based on our senses and experiences..
>>
>>29044444
Dammmmmnnn anon so close xd
>>
>I don't wanna die
>/r9k/

Get out
>>
>>29042477

Just so you know, uploading consciousness to some kind of cloud or AI will only result in an imprint of yourself being preserved, it's essentially a clone, it won't be you.

You're going to have to keep that brain of yours functioning somehow until the end of the universe. The first obvious step is cryogenic suspension until better technology is available to sustain your internal functions indefinitely, and even this is a long shot. All manner of things could in an instant put an end to your plans, be it a freak accident, future diseases, war, famine, we're talking about hundreds of trillions of billions of years here that you want to stay alive. No fucking way dude, eventually something is going to happen, you won't make it anywhere close to the end, odds are you won't even be able to take the first step past a normal human lifespan.

One more thing to consider, if by some crazy fluke you managed to stay in one piece until the end of the universe, you'd have long since gone insane, likely become a vegetable, your brain can only store so much information, so many memories, eventually you would begin to mentally degrade, you would need to somehow refresh your systems on a frequent basis, even if this were possible, do you really think you could keep it up without something going wrong until the end of time?

Just face it man, you're going to die, sooner rather than later, start coming to terms with it. If it makes you feel better it's likely that there is some kind of greater realm of existence, our universe had to come from something after all, unfortunately it's unlikely you will ever consciously experience whatever it may be that brought you into being.
>>
>>29043044
Yeah you know what you're on about.
>>
>>29043296
the wired when?
>>
>>29042477
They wouldn't release that shit to the public even if it did exist.
>>
>>29045304

It's baffling how many people will overlook these basic points. Fear of death + death of religion has caused unprecedented retardation.
>>
why? this universe is boring as shit

the laws of nature/god/whatever can't give us superpowers or magic, much less even basic contact with aliens? we get to work dead end factory jobs or fuck around in a corporate rat race our whole lives?

existence is a meme op
>>
>>29042477
It happens to everyone. Stop being such a coward.
>>
True immortality is impossible. The heat death is an inevitability. Enjoy your time; it's all you're going to get.
>>
>>29046959

Religion is fear of death.
>>
>>29047161
>being this popsci

wew lad
>>
>>29047015
its only boring because you convinced yourself of that, since you cant achieve anything. Sour grapes.
>>
File: image.jpg (264 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
264 KB, 1024x768
>>29042477
Look up allan watts' lectures. Could change ur perspespective on death
>>
File: wuuuuuuud.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
wuuuuuuud.gif
2 MB, 500x500
well bad news
you die almost every year
%98 of your atoms change in 1 year
%100 will be changed in 5 years
you are not you from 5 years ago now, he's dead. you wont be yourself even if 'you' live forever. you'll just be a wave in the ocean of atoms.
>>
>>29047541

Your brain cells don't get replaced.
>>
>>29042477
If you're still alive in 2060 there's a good chance you'll live for a long time. Life extension tech will be common by then. Hang in there OP. Ignore the bait posts in this thread. Things will get better for sure.
>>
Pretty close to biological immortality
Some doctors say that it happens in 50 or even 20 years but honestly I dont really believe that.

I imagine we have life extension treatments which have solid evidence behind them in 30 or 50 years. If lucky you could race the clock with them until we succeed in finding biological immortality without some of the nasty drawbacks or we are able to eliminate them.

Theres always freezing your brains which may or may not work. Tissue damage which comes from freezing and de-freezing is the real problem. Luckily scientist have already reduced those by a significant amount. I imagine it would get better in 20-50 years.

>uploading consciousness
This is a TV meme. You will not exist so it isnt really immortality. Also we dont know if the emulation of you functions the same way in a computer
>>
>>29047568
they don't replicate. but their atoms change.
>>
We are effectively immortal. Only your ego and the illusion of a self causes you to think that reproduction is anything less than thwarting death, barring the heat death of the universe.

As for what medical science can do, I don't think they're gonna be able to make you immortal. Realistically, I think that the human lifespan is going to go up to about 200-250 years within the next century or so, but eternity is really pushing it.
>>
>>29043342
>The earliest, which would be more of a glorified life extension, will more than likely available in the next 3 to 5 decades, but it would essentially be isolation tanks for the brain and a sort of matrix, and even then it's not guaranteed it would be available or even known to the public. Brains implanted into cybernetically and biologically augmented clone bodies will be the next major iteration

"I have no working concept of biology, chemistry or medicine, but I like scifi and hope that's enough to consider my opinions valid on a real scientific topic" the post
>>
File: I_came_here_to_laugh_at_you.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
I_came_here_to_laugh_at_you.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>29047620

>Only your ego and the illusion of a self causes you to think that reproduction is anything less than thwarting death, barring the heat death of the universe.

so many compromises

>Realistically, I think that the human lifespan is going to go up to about 200-250 years within the next century or so, but eternity is really pushing it.

>realistically

Fuck you

"realism" is a meme
>>
I'm not terribly bothered by the thought of dying. That being said, I hope for immortality and would extend my life by any means necessary. Thoughts of dying don't keep me up at night or affect my life much, though.
>>
>>29043315

>cowards who are afraid to die

yes we are totally not animals with a survival instinct
>>
>10 years ago the young edgy me would eat up this discussion
>now I've done mol. bio/mol. gen and medical degree
>everyone theorising on the concept of immortality
>nobody is even close
>tfw I'm so smart

not happening. For every perk you get 1000 drawbacks.
>>
>>29047708
>I know stuff but aint telling
>lol
>>
>>29047620
As far as i know i have always lived.
If knowledge is relative and me living is the basis of knowledge, does that mean i am immortal to me?
>>
>>29047672

>Thoughts of dying don't keep me up at night or affect my life much, though.

Why not?
>>
>>29047727
>I know stuff but aint telling

I am telling. Immortality ain't fucking happening. We'll comfortably extend our life expectancy and then plateau out.
>>
>>29047765
>Immortality ain't fucking happening.
Why is that anon?
>>
>>29047406
Are you stupid or scientifically illiterate?
>>
>OP actually enjoys living
>>
I didn't know /sci/ can be this edgy lol. Fuck you virgin nerds.
>>
>>29047785
>Why is that anon?
There's no viable way to maintain the integrity of our DNA/chromosomal structure without running the risk of cancer/tumours.

The closest example of cells that we have to being immortal are cancer cells. Every step we take to establishing immortality for us just riddles us with tumours and ironically kills us.
>>
>>29047785
Immortality is most likely gonna happen. Stop taking the bait ffs
>>
>>29047844
>Immortality is most likely gonna happen
Go watch your TED talks and eat up your PopSci discover channel shit. It ain't happening.
>>
>>29047841
>>29047857
>being this negative

fuck off
>>
>>29047864
>being negative
>the guy gives you a legitimate reason as to why it cant happen

dunno brah he might be negative but you sure as fuck are ignorant
>>
>>29047820

If I was immortal including unlimited regeneration or just sheer indestructibility, I'd probably do so much retarded shit that I'd actually enjoy living.
>>
>>29047864
No mate. It's not happening. Even if we can somehow upload our consciousness into machines, there still isn't any getting around thermodynamics.
>>
>>29047841
>worrying about cancer
>Be biologist
Fuck off and stop lying about your occupation. Some forms of cancer are already easy to survive and biological immortality doesnt mean you get cancer. There are ways to prevent this which you would know if you are an biologist.

Programmed cell death for example
>>
>>29047929
>programmed cell death
Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>29047958
Thats one way to kill a cell anon
>>
There is a paradox. You sail on a ship, changing parts of it in your journey, until there are no "old" parts left. Will it still be the same ship? And if we recollect parts that have been changed and rebuild a ship with them?
>>
Who cares about immortality

Someone can still stab you and you'll bleed to death
>>
>>29047482
Achilles was quite the euphoric lad, good to know.
>>
>>29047929
>Programmed cell death for example

What? Apoptosis? You mean a process that cancer regulates by influxing blc2 genes over bax?

Name a process in which infinite proliferation can occur? They are all related to cancer. You would literally become a walking sack of uncontrollable cell growth.

I'm a doctor. I also studied mol bio extensively, I have a PhD, my work was related to cyt sig/Tc vaccines in relation to cancer
>>
>>29048015
>Biological immortality is cancer le meme
People dont age just because cells die anon.
>>
>>29042477
>he likes his life
Hello Chad.
>>
>>29047929
Death mechanism has been already hardwired in our cells.
Cancer is about cells that don't die, don't do anything and that oppress healthy cells - like NEETs.
>>
tl;dr: YOU MUST BECOME CANCER TO LIVE FOREVER
>>
>>29048046
>People dont age just because cells die

People can't live forever without infinite cell proliferation though. There is only one set of cells that we know that can do that. Transformed cells. Cancer.

It's not a case of picking the good stuff and cutting out the bad. It's not viable. It's not possible. Life expectancy will increase (to what extent is arguable but really won't be a whole lot), but immortality is impossible.
>>
>>29045213
topkek

originale
>>
>>29047970
That's a yes, then.
Telling cancer cells to kill themselves doesn't work. That's the fucking problem. They straight up refuse to die.
>>
>>29048071
>don't do anything and that oppress healthy cells - like NEETs.

Funnily enough that's a fucking flawless analogy.
>>
>DEATH IS INEVITABLE AND I ACTUALLY WANT TO DIE SOMEDAY I'M SO COOL AND EDGY XD

I fucking hate everyone in this thread.
>>
>>29048148
>I fucking hate everyone in this thread
Oh look at you, you shining beacon of enlightenment, trying to stand out just as hard as the edgesters.
>>
>>29042899
If humans exist that long we would be so advance the heat death of the universe would mean nothing to us. We will simply move into a different universe.
>>
File: 1464110911939.png (218 KB, 500x614) Image search: [Google]
1464110911939.png
218 KB, 500x614
>>29048148
>I'm so enlightened by my transhumanist intellect that I pursue immortality, which should be the goal of mankind, as ubermensch like me know
>>
>>29048148
I'm sorry you don't like the real world. Perhaps you should return to watching cartoons.
>>
>Science

Oh how that word has come to grate me. Science is not and end all, trust all gate like you think it is. There is much that science is wrong about or straight up lies to us about. The real secret to immortality is within your spirit and mind.
>>
>>29048228
>spirit and mind
[citation needed]
>>
>>29048228
Anon, you can't just go slinging bait like that so irresponsibly.
>>
>>29042477
>he doesnt want to die

fuck off normie reeee
>>
The body won't be a problem in 100 years or so, but the brain is, and it's a big problem. But even in your fairy tale scenario of immortality, everyone would have to stop reproducing and eventually everyone will know/have fucked everyone else on the planet and grow bored of eachother. I bet you millenial cucks would like that one, though.
>>
>>29048228
>When people think science is an answer and not a means to reaching the most probable answer.
Try on /x/; you might actually get a discussion going there.
>>
>>29048271
>"Jesus Christ. It's been nine fucking millennia and Patrick's still telling the same fucking drinking story. I need new friends....FUCK!"
>>
Every poster here is a moron.

Biotech cyborg here. 1-2 decades we will have effective life extension through implants and therapy. 5-6 decades, near immortality.

Source: I work on this shit nigger
It'll likely be affordable.
>>
>>29048102
>>29048102
You're an idiot. CRISPR techniques could easily regulate continued cell creation once the proper genes are identified. We very well could pick the good and cut the bad. Do you even follow research? Did you see the recent data discovery regarding aging and wrinkles? Do you even know a thing about synthbio??
>>
>>29048400
>1-2 decades we will have effective life extension through implants and therapy. 5-6 decades, near immortality.
literally 0 (zero) comprehension of medicine/chemistry/biology/genetics l to the o to the l
>>
>>29048469
Explain why you think that and I'll explain why you're wrong you jizz juggler.
>>
>>29048497
>nah man I work for ______ it'll be here in 50 years
>offers no proof

mate its your job to say why it WILL happen. I can't prove something won't exist.
>>
>>29048497
Based on how you talk, I don't think even OP wants you to handle his ascend to immortality.
>>
File: mutsisnussijajäbä.jpg (14 KB, 331x232) Image search: [Google]
mutsisnussijajäbä.jpg
14 KB, 331x232
>>29042477
The best thing in that if we were to achieve immortality, I could and would fuck your mom every night till the eternity and there's nothing you could do about it.
>>
>>29042477

It already has, just not for you. The U.S and Israeli governments have it and they don't plan to give it to anyone else.
>>
>>29048525
>>29048525
Oh ok that's fair. Sorry.

1) strides have been made in understanding how and why cells divide and die. While the genetic treatment is still a ways away, there are therapies in preclinical (soon phase 1) that will remove "dead" cells that cause wrinkles and replace them.

2) organ monitoring and direct medication through implanted patches (see tel aviv cardiac monitor patch), advanced diagnostics (particle monitors etc), and precision medicine planning through gene analysis is already well underway and implemented.

3) new organs have been successfully made via cloning and animal modification. One university successfully took a large part of a human heart , used a cell scaffold and nutrients to grow a new heart , dipped it into a solution that removed tissue that could cause rejection , and hooked it up to a bioreactor to get it beating. Thus showing a successful method to literally make hearts.

4) MIT made a fucking swalloable origami robot controlled by magnets to repair your fucking stomach. How cool is that?

5) we can now reprogram bacteria to kill other bacteria.

6) we can equip wbcs with "back packs" full of anti cancer meds to deliver them exactly where they're needed.

These are but a few examples of breakthroughs just in the last few months. Trust me famiglia, it's gonna get baller.
>>
>>29048662
Oh. Also we've got really good at regenerating organs and other systems in vivo.
>>
>>29048400
I'm interested in working in the biotech field. What do I take in college?
>>
>>29048864
Depends. There's a lot you could do to contribute. Bioengineering. Genetics. Microbio. Organic chemistry. Molecular chemistry. Human machine interfacing. Think futuristic tech.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.