[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robots, why don't you climb? Climbing gets you fit, helps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: bouldering0014-70b6.jpg (223 KB, 1599x1065) Image search: [Google]
bouldering0014-70b6.jpg
223 KB, 1599x1065
Robots, why don't you climb?

Climbing gets you fit, helps confidence and is an interesting topic when someone asks you what you do for fun. My oneitis even asked to come with me when we got talking about it.

It's hard work but I went from being a skellie fag to lean and muscular over the last couple of years. It also puts you in a position to practice talking to strangers as the culture is very accepting and helpful to beginners.
>>
>>29027137
>climbing a literally two meters tall rock

for what purpose?
>>
>>29027137
Because it's a hobby populated by literally the most unbearably smug douchebag normalslimes on the planet. I wanted to get into it but since I live in an area without any rock formations I could only climb at a gym, and the people who go to climbing gyms (I tried several) deserve death.
>>
>>29027137
I was getting into climbing when I lived in Colorado, mostly bouldering. I wasn't very good because I was fat and had no upper body strength. I eventually stopped because I wasn't fit enough and not dedicated.

Now I am much more fit and I would get into it again, but I live in Texas and theres no climbing gyms around here.
>>
>>29027158

Not OP, but I can answer you, assuming you weren't just being a dick.

That is called "bouldering" and it is essentially how rock climbers can practice "free climbing" (no ropes, no safety harness, no equipment) without actually being in danger.

As OP said, it's also just a great workout. You might look a little silly, but actually trying to climb around a giant boulder in your local park for an hour or two is a fantastic way to build some muscle, trim some fat, etc.
>>
>>29027188

OP here, there are some douchebags like you'll find in ANYTHING you do but overall the people as decent. Talk to other beginners rather than the ripped vegans who have their own shitty cliques. Even if you never meet them outside of the place working out how to do steadily more difficult problems is fun and social.

Bouldering is ideal for robots because you don't need a 2nd person to belay you. Half the time I go I don't say a word to anyone and just do my own thing. The other half you get chatting over a problem and share tips and ideas.

It's also way less autistic than lifting since there's only so much you can say about lifting bits of metal x times in a row y times a week with the aim of lifting heavier bits of metal more times.
>>
>>29027235

This, I take my climbing stuff with me whenever I am in nature. Find a suitable rock and just have a go. Stimulation for body and mind rather than thinking about how many tendies your gbps will get you
>>
>>29027158
training id assume.
>>
>>29027137
Actually if I weren't the general wreck I am, I just might. I always said that my favourite sports are solitary ones that rely on transportation: running, swimming, horseriding, presumably climbing too. Not only do they train the whole body, they also teach practical abilities.
>>
>>29027137
5'10" 120 lb skele here, theres no way I have the flexibility or strength or dexterity (finger and body) to do such a thing, although i kinda want to. Also where would I climb/learn techniques? There's too many things to know/do to get into it. I can't , not in my current state
>>
File: asdferrre.jpg (81 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
asdferrre.jpg
81 KB, 640x640
>>29027137
Climbing is cool and all but it's just not my cup of tea. I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

Who /surf/ here?
>>
>>29027638
if you keep making up fucking excuses like that you're never gonna get fit, and die a fucking pathetic skelefag.
>>
>>29027137
sometimes I have nightmares about being on a sheer cliff face, or something similar. I'm not even scared of heights.
>>
>he's hobbies include bouldering and """""""""""""""climbing""""""""""""""" at a gym
numale thread?
>>
>>29027638

Being skinny is an advantage, you don't want to be pulling fat up a wall. That said if you are overweight it's good motivation to shift it.
The beginner stuff is only slightly harder than climbing a ladder. Go give it a go a few times and you'll feel yourself getting the minimum strength you need quite quickly. I did. Make a point of touching your toes every day
>>
How does one go about getting started in such exquisite sport activity? do you just go climbing rocks away like a retard?
>>
>>29027852

We're apes. We are designed for climbing.
>>
>>29027919
Look for indoor bouldering walls in your area on Google.
>>
>>29027920
We're not apes
>>
>>29028129

Primates then.
>>
Because I don't enjoy it. And only a cuck would do something just for popularity.
>>
>>29028129
of course we are. are you retarded?
>>
File: muh climbing.jpg (41 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
muh climbing.jpg
41 KB, 500x375
>>29027920
we evolved to run, not climb.

Climbing and bouldering are exceptionally womanly sports favoring, as they do, low absolute weight instead of strength, with the primary motive force, contrary to popular conception, being legs and not the upper body.

Walk into rock gym, what do you find? Manlets, numales and pudgy women as far as the eye can see.
>>
>>29027137
>Climbing gets you fit
yeah, gravity cucks you into being a perfect fit for a wheelchair
>>
>>29027137
>>29027137
Pretty fucking fun/10
Do it once a week
>>29027736
Mfw would surf but can't swim and scared of water
>>
>>29028255

>pudgy women.

90% the girls are hot young and skinny students.

>numales

Shredded guys in peak condition you mean?

>manlets

Given that height is an advantage it skews tall.

Have you ever been to a climbing gym? Literally everything you have said is the exact opposite of my experience. Of course you do get some of all those things you mentioned but they are the tiny minority
>>
I have an incredible urge to climb a bigass rock when I see it. It gives me an incredible satisfaction when I do. I didn't even know that there existed climbing without faggy hats and ropes.
This just might be the way out of my robothood.
>>
>>29028561

It was for me. My depression has eased up a fuckload as well.
>>
>>29028814
Do you only do indoor bouldering, or outdoor aswell?
>>
File: 1451345919671.jpg (175 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1451345919671.jpg
175 KB, 1080x720
I saw eliza at a grocery store yesterday. I told her how cool it was to meet her in person but i didnt want to be a douch and bother and ask her for photos or anything.

She said, Oh, like you?re doing right now?

I was taken aback, and all i could say was Huh? but she kept cutting me off and going huh? huh? huh? And closing her hand shut in front of my face, i walked away and continued with my shopping, and i heard her chuckle as i walked off. When i came to pay for my stuff up front i saw her trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen milky ways in her hands without paying

The guy at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like,you need to pay for those first, At first she kept pretending to be tired and not hear him, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter

When he took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, she stopped him and told him to scan them each individually to prevent any electrical infetterence, and then turned around and winked at me,i dont even think that is a word, after he scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, she kept interrupting him by yawning really loudly
>>
Tried it once, got paralized at the middle of the climb because im scared to death of heights

>If you do it you'll beat the fear and realize there's no danger!

They were so very very wrong, not only did it get me scared of trying climbing ever again, i think it actually amplified my fear of heights
>>
>>29028902

why do you guys obsess over this coalburning normie slut? doesn't trying to have your own version of a /b/ "queen" or some shit go against the entire point of this board?
>>
>>29028504
Height (reach, really) only has an advantage when climbing real rock, which no one in a fucking rock gym ever fucking does, the routes in a gym are made for the clientele, manlets. If emasculated vegan twinks are your idea of "Shredded guys in peak condition" then you need to get your head checked. and we both know the only women in a rock gym are pudgy uggos.
>>
>>29027137
a few weeks ago i want to the mountains with some people, the easy way was blocked by snow so we had to climb, mostly by grabing grass on a very inclined way

almost died at some point, but couldn't make it to the top

now one of the guy want to do it again, because no snow, but also climb a ~2800m high moutain, but we have no equipments so the end might be too dangerous
>>
>>29029066
why are you upset about bouldering?

OP bouldering is good shit, I've been going for maybe a month now and my arms are getting bigger, my hands can last more than an hour and I'm learning to feel more comfortable at heights.
also wimped out on 2 chances to talk to a single noob girl but I'm confident there'll be more.
>>
>>29027137
can't afford the gear or travel
>>
>>29029619
Bouldering gyms only require shoes which they'll rent to you for a session
>>
>>29028897

Outdoor when I can but I live in London and don't drive so it's not often I get outside. Planning another climbing holiday for the summer though so got that to look forward to

>>29029587

Yeah I was the same, for the first month am hour was more than enough to get my hands hurting and my forearms burning
>>
do your climbing shoes stink?

>tfw no climber bf with stinky feet
>>
File: Bouldering.jpg (121 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Bouldering.jpg
121 KB, 720x480
I started going to a local gym as a way to get out of the house and do something. I have no interest in doing natural rock climbing because I can't afford to break my leg
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.