[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: books with robot protagonists call me autistic but for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: trashlikeyou.png (960 KB, 890x871) Image search: [Google]
trashlikeyou.png
960 KB, 890x871
ITT: books with robot protagonists

call me autistic but for some reason i particularly like those gritty and dark private investigator type main characters who are loners. one of my favorite types desu. only read one or two stories like that years ago and completely forgot their stories but the main characters just stuck with me
>>
i haven't read much at all lately, but when i do i stick to forgotten realms books.

i like the DnD sword and magic fantasy setting.

Blades of the Moonsea series
Haunted Lands series

both are set in the Forgotten Realms fantasy world.

both are about a male loner type who goes away from his oneitis to find fame, and they both come home to fucked up situations and they basically go after their oneitis with all haste.
>>
>>29018466
sounds interesting, ill check em out, been really in the mood for some reading lately, especially something that doesnt involve the normal stories
>>
I'd look into Worm, a web serial. It's all online for free, and literally features a fembot who is terrorised by normie cunts. Also, some people have super powers, so that's pretty neat, too.
>>
read a boy and his dog by harlan ellison.
it's pretty short and one of my favs.
>>
>>29018496

its the same fantasy world Baldur's gate games takes place in.

the most popular series in this fantasy setting is probably the Drizzt series, which is like 16 books long now or something like that.

And then there's the Elminster the Archwizard books by Ed Greenwood, who is the creator of Forgotten Realms.

good stuff.
>>
yeah but most robot protaganist are made badass in some way.
>>
File: The_Butcher_Boy_(McCabe_novel).jpg (27 KB, 250x396) Image search: [Google]
The_Butcher_Boy_(McCabe_novel).jpg
27 KB, 250x396
>>29018413
The Butcher Boy.

It's kind of like The Catcher in the Rye, only less normie and the protagonist is the kind of person that would be a school shooter if written today.
>>
The Book of Disquiet, it's like 500 pages of /r9k/ posts except more eloquent.
>>
File: 1464802452145-r9k.jpg (44 KB, 345x341) Image search: [Google]
1464802452145-r9k.jpg
44 KB, 345x341
book of the new sun desu sempai
>>
Red Dragon
Mr Mercedes
The Sorrows of Young Werther
>>
>>29018528
interesting, not too familiar with books that have take place in that universe so ill have to check it out, seems like there are a ton of series written for that universe

>>29018508
it seems like a super interesting read, but for some reason ive never really clicked with female protags, i dunno why but it always puts me off

>>29018520
ill definitely read that one, short stories are typically short investment and ive really enjoyed how authors can really make you invested in such a small amount of time. have you read "flowers for algernon"? great read and saddening
>>
>>29018540
I think you'd like Ratman's Notebooks.
>>
>>29018647
Looks pretty good, famm.
>>
>>29018630
Fuck werter. Had to read it in school. The gay stuff might appeal to all the fags here though.
>>
File: White Nights.png (204 KB, 1245x634) Image search: [Google]
White Nights.png
204 KB, 1245x634
White Nights by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Pic related is a big monologue by the protagonist of the story. Long read for 4Chan, but worth it.
>>
i like winters tale, online web story about a loner carpenter who is not quite human in a universe filled with all sorts of mythological creatures (in the modern age). lives in a wooden cabin and gets dragged into deeper and deeper shit where he has to deal with increasingly terrible monsters and wonders how long he can last and stay sane if he continues down the path of murder and destruction. sadly, he turns normie later on and gets a gf and stops being so loner
>>
>genre fiction garbage
>in my /r9k/
Fuck off Reee etc.

But really, robotcore:
>Crime & Punishment
>all the works of Kurt Vonnegut, particularly Breakfast of Champions
>Hemingways' Nick Adams shorts, as well as select other shorts
>1984, the first half
>The Count of Monte Cristo, the first half
>>
>>29018413
Altered Carbon.
>>
>>29018618
actually looks really interesting, the type to read on a particularly rainy day
>>
>>29018760
>Altered Carbon.
tried the first book but got bored after the first couple chapters, does it get better? it sounds interesting but it just starts you off without any sort of hook
>>
I always thought Rashkolnikov from Crime and Punishment seemed kinda roboty. I can almost hear him screaming REEEEEEEEE at some points.
>>
>>29018684
first few lines and already know im gonna check it out, reads beautifully in an abstract kind of way
>>
>>29018413
los ojos de mi princesa
text book robot.
>>
>>29018540
Is Butcher Boy the one where he had a friend named Joe Purcell and then killed his bitchy neighbor Ms. Nugent at another point or am I thinking of something else?
>>
>>29018684
do you know which is the best translation?
>>
>>29018874
You'll like it, it is very /r9k/. Basically, it is about a 26 yr old khv in Saint Petersburg who happens to meet a 17 yr old girl while on his night-walk, and strikes up a friendship with her due to circumstances.

>>29018922
I don't, but the one I used is here:

http://www.online-literature.com/dostoevsky/4394/
>>
>>29018732
>1984
>not We
Step up sempai
>>
>>29019002
thanks m8

originalityy
>>
>>29019016
It's spelled senpai you baka gaijin
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.