[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When someone tells you to close your eyes and picture an apple,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: apple.jpg (20 KB, 420x288) Image search: [Google]
apple.jpg
20 KB, 420x288
When someone tells you to close your eyes and picture an apple, do you actually see an apple?

I found out today that there are people that can actually see an image of an apple, or an orange, or whatever.

I only see darkness. I can't picture anything in my mind.
>>
>>28999753
You don't actually see it, but you know what the mental image is if you've seen it. Nobody can actually "see" something on command.
>>
>>28999753
I see a rough contour, but I don't imagine properties such as bumps, colour patterns, glossiness, asymmetry, or shape of the... the... the woody part (not a native).

Such comprehensiveness is directly related to IQ.
>>
File: 1464380656056.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1464380656056.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>29000418
>shape of the... the... the woody part (not a native).

You mean the fucking stem?
>>
>>28999753
If I try this I see an apple but it's green not glossy and has a woody scaring on it. You know like the kind you'd see fresh on a tree.
>>
So, you can't image a cube rotating, can you? What about memories or abstract ideas and concepts? Can you visualize anything with your mind?
>>
>>28999753
Do you dream?
>>
>>28999753
>tfw imagining the sight of an apple in my hand, its weight, skin texture, consistency, the sound it makes as I sink my teeth into it, the sensation of juices flowing from it, the sweet and sour taste (green apple master race), the texture of the fruit meat

Surely this is a common ability for those familiar with eating apples?
>>
>>29000584
I knew a guy who played DnD with us. He played numbers on paper rather then getting into character. He was a nice guy but I just think his brain was wired up more so for analytical/ mathematical things rather then imagination. That's why so many mathematicians and engineers tend to get stereotyped as boring cardboard people.
Don't worry OP. Some people are just like that.
>>
>>29000519
Yes. Thank you.

Come on, last time I was to an English-speaking country was over 20 years ago. It's not as if you discuss foodstuffs when you talk in English with people in your own country.
>>
>>29000519
>>29000808

food and everyday objects are blank spots for a lot of foreigners, even if they're good at english

what TV show, book or movie ever discusses what a stem is? how would you learn the name of a strainer when nobody ever talks about strainers?
>>
>>28999753
You need to practice visualization therapy using dental telepathy. Start imagining an object with your teeth, maybe a molar or incisior (NOT canines) and the image will travel down your mandibular nerve to your central cortex. Try it, it's pretty simple.
>>
Do you dream OP?

You might have aphantasia

You literally might have no imagination.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/19/11683274/aphantasia
>>
>>28999753
No, I can only see a silhouette of an apple.
>>
>>29000884
>what TV show, book or movie ever discusses what a stem is?

That's my point. You learn terms like apple steam as a kid, or during routine meal preparation with family/coworkers. When I talk with foreign visitors, we discuss our hobbies, not the structure of what we're eating.
>>
>>28999753
It's you, you are the alpha-autist. Your mind cannot comprehend anything outside of the black and white. It is you that will lead us to the promised land.
>>
>>29000985
This is morally repugnant obscuration of the consequences of having a low IQ by a 'divide and conquer' medicalization. All those 'aphantasias', 'dyslexias', 'dysthis', 'dysthat' are just the negative equivalent of 'multiple intelligences'. People want to displace the awareness of a general mental factor by implying the independence of each life facet it affects.
>>
>>29000769
Pretty sure that engineers are required to have a pretty vivid imagination and ability to visualize ideas inside of their mind. Obviously, calculations are done without visualization though.
>>
>>28999753
Enjoy your aphantasia.
>>
>>29000884
(Also, sure enough, I had no idea what a strainer is. Thanks, too.)
>>
>>28999753

Not OP, but I have this, too. I can dream very vividly. But when I'm awake, I can't visualize shit. Also, I don't "hear" my own thoughts unless I read what I'm thinking. Even then I don't actually hear it.
>>
>>28999753

I once had a girlfriend that told me she could literally paint the walls with her imagination. If she looked at a wall and imagined something, she'd actually see it. Fucking bullshit if you ask me, no one can actually do that.
>>
>>29000662

Yeah but you still can't actually see it, faggot, fuck off.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.