[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is meditation a valid way out of the robot life? Do you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 10
File: naked-nude-meditation.jpg (38 KB, 960x721) Image search: [Google]
naked-nude-meditation.jpg
38 KB, 960x721
Is meditation a valid way out of the robot life? Do you have any experiences or results to share? I've tried psychologists and meds and it just didn't work.
>>
File: pavss.jpg (88 KB, 622x425) Image search: [Google]
pavss.jpg
88 KB, 622x425
>>28999627
Meditation can do wonders
>>
Only if you can use it to draw on the power of the Force or something.
>>
>>28999627
more of her? originalio
>>
>>28999687
just google meditation naked, that's where i found it. Lot of hotties meditatin' too.
>>
>>28999627
Well, the studies that people swearing by the fact that I am autistic and delusional and psychotic claimed I read none of were all pretty explicit with what they measure: decreased concern. I would routinely alliterate particular examples: decreased anxiety, decreased attachment, decreased addiction, decreased aggression, decreased argumentativeness. It is painfully visible that it is not accompanied with any sort of mental increase. 'Meditation' just replaces your concerns with hazy self-absorption (because the subset of mental performance related to it is transparently narrow too and refers to hs girl tier memorization). This, sure enough, makes you mellower and more pleasant to be around... for those of us who don't expect others to come up with any insights as mind-wandering might bring.
>>
>>28999836
In other words, 'meditating' is basically having your thinking replaced with 'I'm so aware that I am aware of my thinking, I'm so glad that my thinking is not replaced with the meaningless noise of mind-wandering, I am so glad that my mind is free from repetitive noise of distraction, I'm so self-aware that my thinking is pure and clear now, I'm so self-aware of the fact that my mind is liberated now'.

If that's your thing, OP, go ahead.
>>
Ignore all the nagtive faggotry.

It legit rewires your brain and makes a lot of people happy.

Try it but stick with it - it's like taking a grain of sand and covering it in gold leaf each day - for ages you just have a shiny grain of sand but eventually you're holding a ball of gold.
>>
>>29000081
>It legit rewires your brain

So does putting a lobotomy knife in it and wiggling it, meditard.
>>
>>29000081
what technique you reccomend?
>>
>>29000175
Worst constructed argument I've ever seen kill yourself desu
>>
>>29000226
You literally used 'it changes your brain, therefore it's good'. An argument doesn't get much less than that.
>>
>>29000240
There's a big difference between changing your brain for the better than sticking a knife in it
>>
I tried it once and it was boring. Dunno what it's meant to do
>>
>>29000300
>There's a big difference between changing your brain for the better than sticking a knife in it

So you actually DEFINE 'meditation' as 'changing your brain for the better'? As opposed to the whole of physical changes it inflicts?

Never underestimate the idiocy of a 'meditator'.

How about you post some studies about the purported 'changes for the better' (only don't forget to authoritatively state that I obviously haven't read them), and I'll try to have a discussion about them.

>>29000321
This means that your brain is autistic and doesn't yield to the self-distraction of self-monitoring. In short, you're too interested in reality to develop the schizophrenia of 'just observing your thoughts'. Well done.
>>
>>28999836
>decreased anxiety, decreased attachment, decreased addiction, decreased aggression, decreased argumentativeness
>implying that these are bad changes for robots
>>
>>28999653
KILLING IN THE NAME OF
>>
Faaarrk that is my 10/10 right there OP
>>
>>29000578
I see your point, but I also see your fallacy of 'in moderation' whereby you pretend that 'meditators' always have the self-awareness to recognize their shifting definition of 'moderation': 'I'm still doing it to exactly the right degree... and even now, after the increase, it's still the right degree... even now, when it makes me turn away from any arguments or pursuits, it's still exactly the way I want to be'. To the effect of those people learning less and less about the world, and by example leading other people to it as well.

>>29000667
This guy knows what's up. He's not attracted to the dumb self-absorption, but to the fucking body.
>>
>>29000699
And such a life is worse to live than the life of your average NEET robot with anxiety and depression?
>>
>>29000897
I would say so, yes.

Better to die by one's own hand at 25 than to commit mistakes such as implication of existence of objective improvement as in >>29000081 or injustices such as accusing a valid retort of the mistake the accusser himself had committed in >>29000226, all the while preaching how 'meditation broadens your awareness'.
>>
>>29000970
>>29000897
I also trust that you'll notice that I'm not arguing against people's life choices, but against peddling of 'meditation' as either 'good' -- which makes no sense -- or improving your mental faculties -- which is false.
>>
>>29000970
>Better to live a miserable life and commit suicide at young age than to commit a logical fallacy
Right.
>>
>>28999627
It's something you must do for a long time to have some results. You are basically trying to be content with the void inside of you. So picture that even if you aren't doing anything you are satisfied and how do you think you are going to feel when you are actually doing something you like? It just feels better.
>>
>>29001623
>if you aren't doing anything you are satisfied

qffuckingt

You didn't intend to say this at all, but this is actually what 'meditation' is ALL about. I love it when people accidentally let it slip like that. Well done, anon.
>>
>>29001623
>It's something you must do for a long time to have some results.
My friend read a study that said the difference in experience meditating was abysmal. Newbies had much of the same benefits as old timers when measuring some physiological meters (stress levels or something)
>>
>>29001663
>>29001623
...Meditation is ALL about being satisfied just lazying around, so that there is no burning drive failing to realize which makes you hate yourself.
>>
>>29001663
>>29001682
In other words, it is perfectly congruous with Buddhism that propounds in that it deludes itself that the solution to 'problem x' is 'let go of the sense of urgency of problem x while magically assuming that it won't impair your drive to solve it' rather than 'solve problem x'.
>>
>>29001663
Today we live to just experience as much as we can. Even if you are taking a shit you have to be on the internet and no matter how much you absorb it's never enough people are able to watch a whole series in one stand and at the end they just want more. It's an endless cycle with no end. Meditation is one way to break from that.
>>29001668
Sure but it is not on one time trying maybe if you do it for a few weeks.
>>
>>29001820
>It's an endless cycle with no end. Meditation is one way to break from that.

I in the most direct and literal sense consciously insert myself in that very cycle and in the most direct and literal sense avoid anything that can make me leave it. It is only through burning desire and no way to satisfy it other than accomplishing the thing that I grow as a person. I am on a constant watchout for anything that can impair my desire. It is only desire for knowledge, competence, proficiency, that can make me going. Vapid 'meditative' 'self-awareness' throws me off this track, extinguishing (you ought to catch the allusion) my sole source of motivation.
>>
>>29001924
>>29001820
In fact, I am nearly fucked already because I'm even aware of its existence. If I had never heard of 'meditation', I would have achieved so much more. But that damage has been done; I can only avoid anything that can drag me down me into that tepid self-contemplation again.
>>
>>29001924
What about the desire to procrastinate? The desire to browse the internet all day or watching tv all day and do nothing. I mean if you feel the desire for knowledge and to grow as a person good for you but that is not the case for most people.
>>
>>29001784
>'let go of the sense of urgency of problem x while magically assuming that it won't impair your drive to solve it'

In other words.

a sane person being asked how to solve problem X:
>'Well, take tool A, apply it in way B, ...'

A Buddhist being asked how to solve problem X:
>'Well, first I'm gonna arbitrarily make you believe that your attachment to problem X is excessive, then I'm gonna suggest a practice to you that impairs said attachment, continuing to obscure from you the fact that what it actually impaired was the *healthy* leve of attachment, not the excessive one.'
>>
>>29002040
What 'what about it'? Of course some people's desires are harmful or lazy. That's a non-point. I'm talking about the general picture. I addressed back in >>28999836 that 'meditation' catches a number of agreedly bad attachments; the problem is that no one speaks of it imparing the ambition that results education and competence, including such as helps improve other people's lives. This is the great irony, or, often, hypocrisy of Buddhism: by preaching to 'let go of suffering' they cripple the society's desire to devise ways in which to truly remove it.
>>
>>29002155
>>29002040
Not to mention that decrease of desire is just half of the picture, decrease of mind-wandering is at least as damaging.
>>
File: 1447359849166.png (211 KB, 513x408) Image search: [Google]
1447359849166.png
211 KB, 513x408
>>28999627
its a cult, placebo and marketing.

what worked for me was crushing despair. after that i became dead inside and care/feel about 10% of what i used to. nowhere to go and nothing to do.

i should become a guru and sell bullshit to normies. they want something to believe in, so they believe what they want - thats the core principle of it all and only those with no hope left can see that.
>>
>>29002237
>i should become a guru

The market is full.
>>
>>29002155
So we have to find a middle way between avoiding unnecessary suffering and its crippling effect on solving the cause of it.
>>
>>29002255
there is always opportunity as long as you're still breathing
people tell you that you can't, because they're scared that you might

see? iv started already
>>
Let me teach you a real way to achieve enlightenment.

You know how your mind is constantly thinking about something, usually something not related at all to what you are currently doing. For example, you're touching yourself to an anime girl and in the back of your mind there's a thought going on about what video game you're going to play after you are done. It's that voice in your head that is constantly talking, constantly jumping around from one thought to another, never happy, always spewing bullshit and it never shuts up.

This is the left hemisphere of your brain. The right hemisphere has no concept of language and thinks in pictures only. Now, try to shut up the voice for a few seconds. Try to think of nothing and have an empty head. You can do it for a few seconds, right? But then the voice and thoughts come back. Your mind wanders and before you know it you're thinking of sometime else. It's incredibly difficult to "think of nothing" for more than a couple of seconds.

Well, forget the bullshit about sitting in weird poses and going "ummm" or whatever. Meditation actually is just keeping the left hemisphere quiet for more than the few seconds that you managed earlier. Without the nagging voice chattering away inside your mind, you right hemisphere is free to enjoy simple things like existing and breathing. Because you are thinking of nothing you have no worries, no troubles, no unrequited desire for a girlfriend, etc. You are at peace.

If you do this enough the right hemisphere stops being suppressed by the left and you start "thinking in pictures", you become more creative, better at drawing, etc
>>
>>29000372
>This means that your brain is autistic and doesn't yield to the self-distraction of self-monitoring.
I have a hard time in reaching a void state (aka gnosis) because of what anon said and that I quoted above in greentext. My consciouss mind is just too powerful for that shite to work. Even with as much sensory deprivation as I manage to create, I still can't shut up my mind.
The thing is that I wanted to develop ESP as a problem solving tool, to compensate for my awkwarness, to sense what normies can't, and use it to my advantage. The problem is that all manuals ask you to meditate, a lot.
>>
>>29002291
I should have been waiting for this, you fucking scum. No. 'The middle way' is a revolting way to disavow responsibility, 'I can spout literally whatever as soon as I slap a "...but remmeber about the middle way" after it'. This doesn't work. This is blaming the people for your misadvice rather than taking up the responsibility to measure its objective consequences myself. It's as if I told my kids, 'you can run on red lights, just be careful'. Strictly speaking, this error is about refusing to relate your issuing the advice to having the thoughts to control it if it misfires. You say 'meditate', and then you wash your hands of whether 'meditation' itself might result in failure to recognize that it becomes an addiction, or leads people into certain life or readinc choices, by appealing to free will: 'oh, that would be your own choices, I have nothing to do with it'. Rather than making the empirical effort to relate the practice *to* those purportedly 'own', self-originating, 'unrelated' choices. This is lazy, irresponsible, and heartless and you literally disgust me.

Truly a Buddhist's brain is so interlocked in its convenient errors that it is no wonder that it took me years to penetrate it in whole.

>>29002319
You do show promise.
>>
File: Untitled.png (371 KB, 532x495) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
371 KB, 532x495
>>29002401

This sounds rather legit.

The worst thing about trying to get into something like this is that it's literally a cult populated by retardeds.

The moment you start looking Meditation up on google and whatnot you start getting bombarded by literal magic believing middle-ages-minded people who think that the energy of the crystal resonates with the vibrations of your asshole's hair and gives you piece of mind, and that the heart literally has it's own brain and has power over matter and all that.

Where can I go for information with at least borderline intelligent and critically thinking people?
>>
>>29002401
>heavy-handedly insulting healthy thought process 'voice in your head', 'jumping', 'never being happy', 'bullshit', 'never shutting up', and 'nagging'

It is exactly moving from one thing you have insulted so to another that makes me a better, more knowledgeable, more competent person and it is precisely avoidance of those that makes me a dirty bum.

I'm actually becoming surprised that people have been buying that propaganda-tier rhetoric.
>>
>>29000630
TANANANA NANANANA
WAN WAN WAN
>>
>>29002611
>thought process
*thought processes as
>>
>>29002549
Well, I here in /rk9/ there was a similar thread, and someone came up with microdosing LSD (or shrooms or mescaline) to achieve more productivity, whether it be mental, physical and spiritual if you like. It just helps you unclog you brain and feel more happy.
>>
>>29002611
English isn't your native tongue, is it? I couldn't parse what the fuck you were trying to say there.
>>
>>29002087
you got it all wrong and sound like a retard, you obviously don't know much about meditation. What you say could be applied to the advaita vedanta tradition at best, certainly not all buddhism or meditation in general. Meditate on why you feel the need to produce wall of texts on something you know nothing about desu
>>
File: 9:11.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
9:11.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>29000630
Him or not?
Ithink!
>>
>>29002706
>English isn't your native tongue, is it?

It is not.

>I couldn't parse what the fuck you were trying to say there.

Because you misread 'so to' as a conjunction where it was an adverb.

>>29002719
>you got it all wrong
>[you] sound like a retard
>you obviously don't know much about meditation
>Meditate on why you feel the need to produce wall of texts on something you know nothing about desu

*tips yellow hat*
>>
>>29002809
>ignores the main argument and retorts with memes
good luck being taken seriously from now on. Anyway, to answer to op, it depends on what you want to get out of your practice and what technique you use. MBSR can help you with mental chatter and inhibition and so make your anxiety better, but i suggest doing it along cognitive-behavioral therapy to get to the root of your beliefs,
>>
Will bring you health and happiness and many other good things, but it won't make you a normie or cure actual autism
>>
>>29002939
What argument? You just randomly dropped a name of a 'school'. It's as as if I called you 'all wrong retard who doesn't know much, actually, scratch that, nothing about it because the Russian Romantic Five'.
>>
>>29002994
>>29002939
...Or was your argument, that you would apparently never exuhaust of, the generic 'not all buddhists'?
>>
>>29002994
well your idea of meditation reflects that particular school, which isn't very popular to say the least. There are much more popular and practical forms of meditation that give you the opposite of what you described, but of course you don't care about silly things such as knowing your subject.
>>
>>29003040
meditation is present in all forms of culture, not only buddhism.
>>
>>29002549
It's not like you have to announce to the world that you're meditating. I've found that even just meditating once makes you mind clearer. It takes 15 minutes, so why not try it? Just turn off the lights, sit in a comfortable position, and then think of nothing, see if you like it.
>>
>>29003097
I agree, even if it seems to correlate negatively with those cultures' intelligence -- for instance, I can't think of a Jewish contemplative practice, even though they surely exist.

>>29003067
So NABALT it is.

Hey, mind pretending to provide a study about a type of 'meditation' that increases desire to do anything but dumb execution of grinding tasks, gossip, and feeling emotional at watching people's pictures?
>>
>out of the robot life
No. Meditating helped me accept the fact that I'm a robot and peacefully give up on life. I'm still a robot and still a literal autist, I'm just okay with it all now.

But maybe you'd have different results.
>>
>>29003228
>Meditating helped me accept the fact that I'm a robot and peacefully give up on life.

At least you're honest. Kudos.
>>
>>29003169
One of the most popular contemplative system is the Kabbalah, which is well, jewish.

>>29003169
There are forms of meditation that help you actually achieve peak mental performance, so you can achieve your desires better, not everyone buys into the "no-ego" argument. One of that is MBSR, here's a meta study conducted on numerous trials of MBSR :
http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-032210-104449
>>
>>29000226
>kill yourself desu
average meditator
so "at ease and peaceful and happy", only because it's something to get an ego boost off
>>
>>29003355
>There are forms of meditation that help you actually achieve peak mental performance

Neat! Finally something to prove wrong rather than state not even wrong.

Let's see.

...Paid. How could you.

Abstract:

>In this review, we describe some of these developments and the data regarding them, focusing on information about components, moderators, mediators, and processes of change. These "third wave" methods all emphasize the context and function of psychological events more so than their validity, frequency, or form, and for these reasons we use the term "contextual cognitive behavioral therapy" to describe their characteristics. Both putative processes, and component and process evidence, indicate that they are focused on establishing a more open, aware, and active approach to living, and that their positive effects occur because of changes in these processes.

This is so vague that one could literally measure the times one says 'hmmm maybe this is different than it seems' or 'hmm maybe I shouldn't be as bothered about it' or 'hmmm maybe I should step back and consider some more factors' and it would fall into that description.
>>
>>29003355
>>29003464
Meanwhile, let me mention a 'test' for mental ability I can't help noticing. When I boot my current OS, the language selection menu is divided into four columns. Reaching it by pressing down would take some 50 moves. Reaching it by moving to adjacent colums and then up would take 7. While moving left, thus going 'outside the box', and then automatically jumping vertically into the final row of the last column, would only take 2.

This is the kind of creativity and problem-solving that exposure to 'meditation' will never, ever, ever be related to.
>>
>>29001022
I can tell you are one of the wicked intelligence, the typical sickening effete intellectual. You are so Jewish in the soul, it makes me physically ill.

>>29000699
>This guy knows what's up. He's not attracted to the dumb self-absorption, but to the fucking body.
You perverse little kike, you are a Jew aren't you? Of course you can't understand higher pursuits. We thank you for revealing your real character.
>>
>>29003588
And now -- not to boast, but I'm thinking about generalizing such menu traversal into traversing an n-dimensional structure with arbitrary gaps ('blocks') missing, and the algorithm of generalizing the 'skips' (jumping to the next filled block) with respect to some sort of predefined 'gravity direction'. This too should be related to 'meditation', as it is literally mind-wandering which >>29002401 totally-did-not call 'noise' and 'bullshit'.
>>
>>29003752
I am not Jewish, but this is a compliment I should value no less than 'autistic'.
>>
>>28999627
Don't know.

I have found MAOIs very helpful though. True miracle drugs. Sadly, a lot of psychiatrists don't prescribe them due to the exaggerated fear of dietary interactions.
>>
>>28999836
oh god it's the autist from the LSD threads again, vacate the premises before he signs all his posts with his trademark asshole behavior
>>
>>29003807
Translation: 'stop being right'.
>>
>>29003824
Here's your playbook
>Be an asshole to everyone, even people who might agree with you if you'd explain your point
>If someone calls you out on being full of shit and ignorant of the issue at hand, you immediately make issues out of non issues and pretend it justifies your compromised argument
>If someone calls you out on your behavior, you justify it by claiming that life's too short to not be an asshole and that if people don't think your way the world simply is not right
Stop being such an annoying piece of shit. You do this in every fucking thread as if you were paid for it.
>>
>>29003824
>>29003807
By the way, I Googled it, and what should turn up but a Buddhist site!

http://freedomforall.net/stop-being-right-and-start-being/

>One of the most harmful habits and one of the hardest habits to break is the habit of being right all the time. By being right one sets the other up to be wrong, one instigates conflict from the outset. This way one is always at loggerheads with someone about something. Others who like to be right all the time will spot the challenge you pose and will rise to it time and time again.
>
>It it a good place to start meditation practice "in action". Spot the moments when "being right" arises. Spot the ensuing thought patterns as they manifest and solidify into the sure knowledge you are right. Spot what follows: there is a rise of tension and even anger as you prepare for battle. Your body runs on stress when you are right all the time.
>
>Using a meditation like this one slowly becomes more and more aware of these patterns, or habits of thinking that lead to negative emotions, actions and words. By becoming more aware or awake one recognises earlier the signs of trouble and stands guard against the mistaken attitude and then by chipping away at the habit with this awareness, you one day find you no longer need to be right. Instead being is itself a pleasure and a joy.

'Buddhism is the most scientifically minded religion!'
'Buddhism promotes rational thinking!'
>>
>>29003879
Go choke on a chakra.
>>
>>29003464
Well i have a summary of the results if that's too vague for you. But basically improvements were found in both medium and long term in relation to anxiety and depression.

>>29003588
Nobody says you can't do both. I study computer science and meditation has helped me with concentration, which has helped with creativity and problem solving issues, among other things.
>>
>>29004180
As I would long say, benefits of 'meditation' are hyperbolic. It 'helps' the few severely depressed people by throwing the rest of their thinking with the water, anaesthetizing them and letting them parrot how it 'expands awareness', but it impairs the 98% of people who would far from cease to function if they had never 'meditated'.

>I study computer science and meditation has helped me with concentration, which has helped with creativity and problem solving issues, among other things.

And how on Earth can you tell a 'meditation'-inspired insight from a regular one?
>>
>>29004344
Except no one claimed it's the only method or you stop functioning if you don't do it, the op asked if it helps with some issues and there's evidence that say it does, but of course you keep pulling things out of your ass.
As for your question, meditation doesn't give you insight per se, it's the removing of mental fog that makes it easier to get that insight.
>>
File: image.png (4 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4 KB, 500x750
>>29004463
>Except no one claimed it's the only method or you stop functioning if you don't do it

Irrelevant. Why did you say any of this? We're talking about the impairment it wreaks and absence of evidence it improves thinking.

>As for your question, meditation doesn't give you insight per se, it's the removing of mental fog that makes it easier to get that insight.

You just evaded it. I'm not asking about the degree of directness, I'm asking how you can tell apart insights that 'meditation' contributed to.

>>29004344
Pictorially.
>>
>>29004527
Also,

>inb4 someone moronically says that this 'just means that meditation should only be suggested to depressed people', failing to realize that the problem is that at present, 'meditation' is being blanket-shoved into literally everyone's throats (and that's notwithstanding the fact that what we should do is devise and suggest depression treatments that don't make you dumber)
>>
>>29004527
because well, the impairment it wreaks is irrilevant as you are producing examples of stereotypical views of meditation that no one takes seriously anymore, it doesn't really disprove more serious and studied practices already available. I agree 100& with you on those kind of meditators. An insight is an insight, but the frequencies of these insights is what changed for me. Not everything relies on insight to be solved also.
>>
>>29004639
>the impairment it wreaks is irrilevant as you are producing examples of stereotypical views of meditation that no one takes seriously anymore

Provide a study that purportedly supersedes my points, suggesting an increase and not a decrease of spotaneous occurrence of *creative* solutions to problems (meaning, not just 'actually maybe I should just care less lol') or *creative* problems to solve in the first place. You'll find none -- I have researched the subject more than any person accusing me of not doing it at all.

>Not everything relies on insight to be solved also.

'This infection can make you lose your foot.'
'Not everything depends on walking.'
>>
>>29002505
People like you thinking they have it all figure it out are just the fucking worst. Do you think there is only one way to handle things? That there is just one right set of actions? Have you ever considered that in order to make things work in everybody's lives you have to take the best from everything the good and the bad alike and not to dismiss some set of actions you don't like that may in extreme cases lead to something bad. People like you say nationalism is bad because it may lead to nacism or that socialism doesn't work because look at Venezuela.
>>
>>29004746
'There might be arguments out there proving you wrong, therefore you are wrong.'

Buddhist staple # 37.

Also >>29001022.
>>
>>28999627
meditation, running and yoga is the holy trinity

they won't make you a normie on their own, but it will keep you sane and help to maintain/develop mental and physical health
>>
>>29004779
>>29004746
Actually, wait, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I'm sorry. I noticed there's also rejection of interpolation there, 'we should try this this again, just in case there are some hidden factors that'll change the outcome for positive this time'. I'm sorry for not acknowledging every fallacy you used in there. My fault.
>>
>>28999627
no.

meditation only works for women and normies because their problems are so small they can be diminished by simple mindfulness. meditation memes them into thinking theyre in conotrol of their own success and happiness and that theyre strong people who can overcome diversity and struggle.

when in truth theyre only happy successful people because they grew up happy and had access to the right resources and were born with the right normie mindset to function in the normie world who are in the majority to begin with.

the only cure for a real robot is isolation a bullet or luck of everything falling in place (they meet a rare nice caring girl that accepts them as who they are, they get a high paying job that has little human interaction despite not having parents that pay for their education, they become happy and content with their lifestyle playing video games or whatever other thing, meeting friends who genuinely enjoy beign with you etc).
>>
>>29004807
If by 'sane' you mean 'under the threshold of complexity of communication at which mental health or illness can even manifest', as in being a living smiling walking doll that to every meaningful question mechanically replies 'why do you ask? why don't you just enjoy the beauty of this park instead of thinking about such inconsequential (word courtesy of a Buddhist in another recent thread who described scientific questions as "inconsequentual") bullshit?', then, yes, 'meditation' does make you sane.
>>
>>29004807
>meditation
My inner monologue is hell. I cant concetrate on anything but pain when i try to meditate. Distraction not concetration is better. Youve never been in any real hell to know this though.

>running and yogarunning and yoga
I cant even get out of bed when my major depressive order is the worst. OCD, panic attacks, anxiety, and autism keep me afraid of interacting with the outside world by running outside, cant really run inside. Autism with anxiety combined makes you feel like eyes are on you 24/7 and turns into paranoia of messing up and makes you not want to be seen. Yoga 99% of the time is with groups of people and someone teaching you, but I cant do that interacting with people creates a far worse experience than being alone, and doing yoga at home theres no motivation to do it especially when the pain of being alive keeps me in bed, a pile of clean laundry on the floor that should have been folded 2 weeks ago but my mind cant even fucking go through folding them, dishes piled up, and a list of 49805893 other things i have to do to get my life in order other than yoga.

fuck off normie
>>
>>29000240
That was a different anon.

It does rewire your brain. If you do it while stoned there's a good chance it won't be for the better.

The chances are though, for a robot with issues it will be somewhat beneficial. In the end it only costs five to fifteen minutes of your day so there's little to be lost from trying it.

Even a placebo effect would be good (not withstanding it wouldn't exactly be a placebo).
>>
>>29005067
>there's little to be lost from trying it

If you believe it, you deserve what makes it false.
>>
>>28999627
>thread about meditation
>starting with fap-bait
I think you should wait a few more years before you're ready
>>
>>29005110
>wanting to fuck a woman who's basically unresponsive

Considering how unaware one is during 'meditation', that's basically necrophilia.
>>
>>29004727
'Not everything depends on walking.'
nice, a false equivalence.
There are studies that suggest that meditation can improve things that affect your ability to solve problems and gain insight, like concentration, mental clarity, unwanted mental chatter, obsessive thoughts etc. again you are missing the point.
>>
>>29003409
You don't have to be a hippy to benefit from meditation. I think you're confusing meditation and the superficial practice of mindfulness.

You are right that there are a bunch of full of it kaftan wearing cuntsacks who spend more time telling people about mediating than actually doing it but there are also a bunch of people who just do it.

It's like confusing hipsters with short sighted people - both sets wear glasses but 100% of hipsters are dicks and <100% of glasses wearers are dicks.
>>
>>29003588

>This is the kind of creativity and problem-solving that exposure to 'meditation' will never, ever, ever be related to.

And you can prove that how?
>>
>>29005153
It is not 'false', you... I still feel the naive temptation to call Buddhists retarded rather than manipulators.

The equivalence was valid. You said that a decrease of one trait is not that bad because there are other traits. Perfectly parallel to my analogy. And now you're literally just elaborating your confusion (except with a contradiction marked by *).

'Not everything depends on walking, there is also walking*, swimming, handwalking, crawling, ...'.

Be honest, do you really study CS, or did you lie? I won't think any less of you if you admit. I'm asking because if people with such a weak grasp on their thinking make it in, even I might have a chance in the job market after all.
>>
>>29002401
Excellent anon.

Very well explained.
>>
>>29004919
What are you talking about? Have you ever tried meditating or just listened to normies talking about it?
>>
>>29005289
Holy shit, you actually waited a couple of hours just to samefag?
>>
>>29005066
You had the motivation to type this out :)
>>
>>29005229
Because, as 'meditators' love to boast, 'meditation' has been 'researched extensively for at least half a century', and there has been literally no study doing that. And it's not even that there were no attempts at measuring spontaneous creativity -- it's just no one had the integrity to pair the two.
>>
>>29005269
It actually is, because i never talked about a decrease in insight, i was talking about meditation also helping in other things, more related to the OP question. Man, your reading comprehension is absymal.
>>
>>29005153
Also, kindly do see for once >>29002611 for the reasons (could you actually be unaware of them?) that you use terms like 'chatter'.
>>
>>29005379
>i never talked about a decrease in insight

Verbatim from >>29004639: 'Not everything relies on insight to be solved also.'

All right, I'm just going to assume you don't study CS.
>>
>>29005335
I do so out of spite of normies. I cant feel right knowing that they have this image of theirself and the world. That robots just need to meditate and everything will work out. Its an indirect insult based on their naive world view. Like were somehow defective compared to them and just need to what they do because they figured it out. I want normies off of R9k, im tired of having to explain myself to them.
>>
>>29005422
Yes, things like anxiety and depression don't require insight to be solved there are other (often physiological) factors involved, and it's not like your insight decreases anyway. You jumped the gun again didn't you?
>>
>>29005500
It' is long that I stopped hoping that anyone but me keeps track of the logic of people's posts. It is fine.
>>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16406814

If it's tldw then it boils down to a reduction in the ego part of the brain's activities. You become less self centred.

A lot of robot issues stem from the fact that robots are a bunch of self centred fucks so it can only be beneficial.
>>
>>29005446
>That robots just need to meditate and everything will work out.
I don't remember saying that. In fact, i remember saying something that contradicted that entirely. Maybe re-read?
>>
>>29006174
>it makes you less 'self-centered'
>but at the same time it is magically 100 % guaranteed to impair no trait that depends on self-centeredness, such as proving other people right
>>
>>29006174
>>29006373
*proving other people wrong/myself right

Not to mention that it should have been absolutely vital to relate that change to curiosity.
>>
>>29006401
By the way. Found this.

http://internationaljournalofwellbeing.org/index.php/ijow/article/viewFile/60/285

>Actual/ideal self discrepancy is the measurable differe nce between an individual's beliefs about who they think they are (actual self) and their image of the person they would ideally like to be (ideal self). When the self discrepancy gap is small, higher psychological wellbeing exists. Mindfulness meditation, by means of greater awareness of the continuous fluctuation of thought from one point to another, has been shown to increase self acceptance, which can lead to minimizing self discrepancy

Even fucking studies literally claim that 'mindfulness' and 'meditation' make you less ambitious. Holy shit. This is hysterical. Even I used to believe that the so-called researchers still have any shame reporting this effect, but it appears they don't anymore.

>people actually literally swallow this

This is hilarious.
>>
>>29006633
(Of course, it's still half-assedly obscured as '...uh it's okay though it increases "well-being"!', but that's an aside.)
>>
>>29003752

dude are you from twitter?
>>
>>29006633

Why are you doing this? Why are you so angry, why tear this stuff down?

It's not just because 'you want to help' or even that you 'hate bullshit' or some other bullshit, why is it?
>>
>>29007072
Because of the lone vile two-facedness of people who shove a literally brain-damaging practice and then have the... nerve... to say it 'broadens awareness'.
>>
>>29002237
This "worked" for you? Are you happy? Rich? Pound tons of poon? If not then how can you say your way is better?
>>
>>29007208
>>29007072
And since you are going to apologize that 'they don't know what they're doing', refer to >>29002611 and >>29002401 and ask yourself if such vitriol can be a result of ignorance.
>>
>>29007269
(And no, it is not at all isolated -- cf. an EXTREMELY popular book called 'Mindfulness in Plain English', frequently mentioned here on /r9k/, for more examples of denigration of thinking as typify Buddhism. Thousands more examples are a search awa.)
>>
File: 1454868971243.gif (509 KB, 700x827) Image search: [Google]
1454868971243.gif
509 KB, 700x827
>be me depressed since forever
>be me discover buddhism and instantly identify with it

>try meditation, see nothingness, feel nothingness, cry after feeling it, it was so beautiful full of love and at the same time so quiet.

>mfw i read that i experienced a little glance of what it is like to be enlightened

>tfw my ego was so afraid of it i stopped meditating and never tried again

>tfw i rather like to suffer because my ego thinks suffering is happiness for me

>tfw i will never be like eckhart tolle
It can really help, but it can make everything worse too.

If your ego is too big, you just get more mentally insane because every fiber of your body refuses to accept this endless love of god, because it's afraid to destroy itself, it literally destroys your "You".

Real meditation has to be done with the mindset of 'I will make it, i will be open'

If it's forced, just in a little tiny part of you, you won't change shit, your ego will still exist and make your life even worse, because you refuse anything that could help you.

It's a devils cycle, maybe one day i will find peace with meditation, but for now, i don't know why i am not doing it.

It's a really fucked up thing for me, but i am at a beginning schizophrenia, maybe that's why my mind is scared.

But i would say just try it, most of you guys are just some failed normies, most of r9k doesn't know real suffering
>>
>>28999627
not really
you should focus on thinking not not thinking
>>
>>29007484
>>tfw i will never be like eckhart tolle

That man is just a sect leader who attracts people too weak-willed to notice -- or care-- that sternly saying 'you are not enlightened until you still. Your. Mind. Right now' is just a vacuous power trip.

>it was so beautiful full of love and at the same time so quiet

It was just a vapid feeling. Get a grip.

>>29007508
This.
>>
what the hell happened? did the anti-buddha somehow manage to raise an army?
hey you know what mental state also involves a lack of thought? sleep. how you idiots can believe that simply sitting down and clearing your mind can actually be harmful I won't ever understand.
>>
>>29006633
Maybe the big discrepancy between who people think they are and who they would ideally like to be causes suffering that is not beneficial to their growth and ambition. By making this discrepancy smaller through meditation, it reduces suffering (reducing the time and mental energy given to suffering so they can spend that time and mental energy on productive things) and gives people more realistic expectations of the future self they're able to achieve. And since they have more realistic expectations, they're now more motivated to achieve that future self and once that is achieved, they can try to achieve a new ideal future self. If meditation can make their goals in achieving their ideal self less intimidating and more achievable, it can motivate people to be realistically ambitious, rather than the usual out-of-reach improbable ambition that causes suffering, people to feel hopeless and give up.
>>
>>29007484
>depressed since forever
You were sad, not depressed, way different.

>try meditation, see nothingness, feel nothingness, cry after feeling it, it was so beautiful full of love and at the same time so quiet.
If you feel anything at all you're still a long way from the Buddhist idea of enlightenment.

Depression is the closest you can get to being "enlightened" without fucking killing yourself.

>>29007621
I dunno, been around for at least as long as him, but I never got a fancy name.
>>
>>29007621
>how you idiots can believe that simply sitting down and clearing your mind can actually be harmful I won't ever understand.

>'It's just sitting still, it has no power to change your mind at all!'
>'It literally rewires your brain, numerous studies say so!'

Pick two, because you are a godretarded self-contradicting Buddhist.
>>
Y'all niggas don't know shit.

Meditation is infinitely more profound than current Western thought has made it out to be. You can literally experience the most intense bliss you've ever felt with just a couple of months of practice.

Google 'jhana' you homo's.
>>
>>29007691
>literally experience the most intense bliss you've ever felt

Sounds boring af.
>>
>>28999627
I didnt know inverted nipples were a thing outside of hentai
>>
>>29007661
Well, at least you are polite and your argument is logical.

Sadly, this is not the case. 'Meditation' cripples mind-wandering, on which noticing venues for self-development relies, as trivially as noticing an ad or a car and thinking 'I could get into that'. And if it caused any tangible achievement, do you really think researchers would miss the opportunity to measure that? 'Meditation' has been around since what, the '60s? Enough time for a full longitudinal study. It improves performance on tests because when your mind is void of digressions, the variously reviled 'mental noise' and 'chatter', you are necessarily reduced to the piece of paper before you. But letting yourself wonder what to do tomorrow? Next year? Various what-ifs? This is the exact thing that Zen insistence that YOU. FOCUS. ON THE FUCKING TEA BEFORE YOU hopes to undo. You are not to out-accomplish the 'teacher', who, guess what, had only sipped on his fucking tea his entire life as well. It's the vilest form of crab mentality, where remaining in the bucket is actually defined as 'the highest form of self-mastery'. You won't achieve anything if you disable your imagination of places where to do it.
>>
>>29007924
>>29007661
Moreover, I can just tell from experience that it is motivation that dissipates under self-awareness. If I'm doing something, any disruption as 'meditation' hopes to trigger, 'look look you are actually doing this!!!', is a distraction, and I'm less likely to resume what I've been doing. This is deviously designed as well: when you have trouble resuming a, for an instance that I'm familiar with, a design of a script, you look around yourself and are supposed to think 'actually, why won't I just eat something/call him/call her/whatever'.
>>
>>29007484

> tfw I get this numb, uncomfortable but half pleasant feeling, like when you're in a dream and keep slipping over but sort of want to give in and fall... whenever I approach something that might change my miserable state. it's like pins and needles in my head

> tfw I can't seem to overcome this weird push/pull feeling
>>
>>29007924
>>29008078
In other words, there are two complementary halves to Buddhism: one is the 'hardware', so to say, actually getting your brain to interrupt yourself, and the other is the cultural 'software', Buddhists endlessly stressing that 'true happiness is just talking to friends, enjoying nature, laughing, loving, ...', so that it is it that you first think of after the interruption, that you associate the interruption with.
>>
>>28999627
Its probably real.
I know I've listened to hypno/meditation eroic hands free recordings and they worked.

Just the other day I was literally convulsing and feeling tingles all over my body just from a voice telling me "cum inside me, I need your cum, please!"

Didn't even touch myself and it took 30 minutes to go from laying perfectly still unaroused, to shaking and cumming all over myself
>>
>>29008078

while there's a lot of wisdom here, you do realize not all meditation is 'stopping your mind wandering' - it's just a easy way to introduce beginners.
>>
>>29008262
>you do realize not all meditation is 'stopping your mind wandering'

This sounds like broadening the term of 'meditation' so to be able to cry 'not all meditation' while the core of the practice being pushed remains self-absorption.
>>
>>29008078
(Which is, let me remind, congruous with the findings of >>28999836 -- it's implausible that 'meditation' could somehow select for making me care less about illness or death while allowing me to care about learning a language or getting a job.)
>>
>>29008301
You do know that "meditation" is a massively broad term that covers hundreds of different techniques from many different religions (and many secular methods) from all throughout human history?

Just because Buddhist mindfulness because popular with hippies everyone thinks it defines "meditation".

Hell, a good portion of the techniques used in things like CBT and therapy for mental disorders are a form of meditation.
>>
>>29008301

Yeah, I don't blame you for having that suspicion, but it's totally not the case. For instance, you've got whole major traditions like Vajrayana https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajrayana practice that are totally the opposite of 'focus on this ummhmmm forever' - this isn't just some motte&bailey type stuff.
>>
File: 1460440001090.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1460440001090.png
246 KB, 550x535
>>29002401
I don't have that voice at all. I don't understand what the fuck people talk about when they say they have a "mind voice".

I don't even hear it when I read something in my head. What the fuck? I can't really imagine and visualize things either.

What's wrong with me?
>>
>>29008770
>Hell, a good portion of the techniques used in things like CBT and therapy for mental disorders are a form of meditation.

Ah, so it *is* the kind of eqivocation >>29008890 denies -- 'meditation is just innocent consideration of your thoughts, that's all'. Manipulative shits, both of you.

'Therapy' is harmful in itself, what with its anti-intellectual 'you can never know for sure', 'there are factors you might not see', 'remember that proper perspective is relative', 'your life only depends on you', and other kinds of appeal to ignorance pushers of it deny. I have literally never seen a therapist not sow distrust in one's own faculties.

>>29009082
When that anon says 'inner voice', it is an allusion to psychotic auditory hallucinations. He wants to apply as negative connotations to mind-wandering as possible. I once saw a Buddhist literally say 'there might be voices in your head suggesting to you various criticisms of what I'm saying'. I'm not kidding.
>>
>>29009319
What the fuck are you on about? I know that the "inner voice" is a normal thing to have since loads of people talk about it.

And it's apparently necessary to have in order to create a tulpa so I'm pretty pissed about not having one.
>>
>>29009435
I know what an 'inner voice' is too, slow one. What I'm describing is what the anon you linked to hoped to achieve with that phrase.
>>
>>29008161
Wich one, i tried a couple of those and the closest i got was just a bit of precum.
>>
>>29009691
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9impm0huA
>>
>>29009718
neat, got any tips?
>>
File: antibuddha.jpg (489 KB, 965x1311) Image search: [Google]
antibuddha.jpg
489 KB, 965x1311
>it's an anti buddha thread
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.