[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>neet >want to learn how to code >download a bunch of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16
File: 1436740241406.png (95 KB, 243x222) Image search: [Google]
1436740241406.png
95 KB, 243x222
>neet
>want to learn how to code
>download a bunch of programs and beginner guides
>give up after 10 minutes
>>
I don't blame you, coding is boring as fuck. There's a million other things you could be doing that are more beneficial and easier.
>>
>>28972261

That's the NEET curse.

>finally decide to send out resumes
>"OK I'M GONNA DO THIS"
>15 minutes later, quit and go shitpost and play video games and then nap
>>
>>28972261
>try to improve life in even smallest form
>give up in ten min
Know that feel fellow fuck up
>>
>>28972261
What programs and guides? You just have to make time for it. You might not get it on the first try, keep trying :)
>>
keep trying, I'd say itll probably be kinda worth it.
>>
my parents keep telling me to get a driver's license. Why would I do that when I can make them me drive around?
>>
File: 1217069389203.jpg (55 KB, 576x448) Image search: [Google]
1217069389203.jpg
55 KB, 576x448
Programming is actually boring as fug 90% of the time, but you've gone about it wrong. Download python and make a calculator for how many NEETbux you need to invest in T-bonds to get enough for a given level of passive income that you want. Then make it plot that based on a range of possible incomes. Keep extending it until you get board, then pick another. Maybe you want to rename all the images on your computer with a 4chan file name (actually just a UNIX timestamp to millisecond precision) to look like ten years ago so you can seem like an oldfag. So make that. Downloading a bunch of programs is just a waste of time.
>>
>>28972261
Got to do it in small amounts, still fuck up on stuff I'm trying to learn but now I canlast 30min to an hour before giving up and trying again later
>>
>>28972261
>went to uni to study IT
>started to hate everything related to computer science, because it's boring as fuck and math is too hard
just fuck my life up senpai
>>
>>28972411
break your own legs
>>
File: 1397495866262.png (442 KB, 2595x2857) Image search: [Google]
1397495866262.png
442 KB, 2595x2857
Seems like it'd be more fun to learn about programs/tools people have already made and play with those than code shit yourself. I mean, what the fuck kind of program are you going to make that isn't already in existence in some form?
>>
>tfw I was smarter and more intellectually curious than you retards in middle school
sure glad I'm not retarded
>>
>science is my best subject in school, finished with 3.7 unweighted
>love botany and plants, have my own fruit trees flourishing in backyard
I failed all my science classes and can't be bothered. Even when I take notes, read chapters the same day as the class sessions, study a week in advance, email professor for help etc I get a 79 at most. Meanwhile people get 90+. How the fuck am I suppose to Rememeber such small and mundane details that aren't even in the notes let alone the fucking glossary or index fuck this gay earth
>>
>>28972463
some stupid game app like flappy bird or slither.io

the fag who made flappybird made about 50k dollar in ad revenue everyday before he took it down
>>
>>28972487
you probably have autism. get checked, depending on where you live this can make your life a lot easier
>>
>>28972261
yo
im a rubyist
start here: rubymonk.com

it's interactive so you won't get bored
interpreter built-in
good luck
>>
>>28972526
I don't want neetbux I want my life back. How you guys do nothing but play video games all day and remain satisfied is beyond me. Yeah video games are fun but I'm just depressed all the time not doing anything "productive"
>>
>>28972512
It was up for months before that and he got lucky because Pewdiepie got his millions preteen fanboys to play, and they showed it to their mothers, who posted it on NormieBook.
>>
>>28972554
I never said you are supposed to get neetbux. If you are actually autistic you can get a lot of job opportunies, there's possibilites in education and a lot more.
>>
>>28972555
>sell car
>pay pewdiepie 10k to play your shitty game
>get rich
>>
File: 1461925878419.png (240 KB, 283x324) Image search: [Google]
1461925878419.png
240 KB, 283x324
>>28972261

>fell for the stem meme
>try and do any work
>need to learn basic languages to code in
>give up half an hour in after learning a single thing

WHY
>>
>start programming at the age of 25
>do it for months; get the basics down
>too stupid and late to make a proper career out of it
>became "too good" and nothing to create any more with my limited skillset

Dead end. I'm slowly starting to forget everything.
>>
>>28972261
Tip from a failed programmer here: to get into it, you need to have ideas what to optimize/automatize in the first place. You're approaching it from the wrong end. You must have the idea for a document manager/data analyzer/OS enhancement/missing feature/workflow optimizer/... first, so that you have a tangible idea to motivate you, and a tangible reward when you're done.
>>
>>28974526
Now I see, >>28972420 explains this better. Kudos.
>>
>>28972261
I did the same OP and then I started making music and I'm actually enjoying it
>>
Just do codeacademy
>>
>>28972296
This.

>"Just an hour of [anything """productive"""]
>eventually play vidya or rewatch YouTube videos for the 10th time
>>
I know a similar feel OP.

>listening to lo-fi hip-hop
>this could be fun to make
>holy shit making music for myself that i want to listen to let's go
>download fl studio and open a bunch of beginner guides
>open fl studio and start looking at the million buttons
>realize i know nothing about music
>don't even know what a high hat is
>close fl studio and tell myself I'll do it another day
Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>28974658
fucking casual

probably not original
>>
>>28972293
Name a few.

I'm an ex-coder who might be interested in doing something else with his life.
>>
>>28974585
This.

Also, this:
>about to become decent at [something]
>look for jobs
>requirements always include "2+ years of experience in [something]"
>give up
>>
>>28974676
He really is wrong. At the core, programming is about abstraction to a general problem. For instance, I would write tiny utils for my music collection -- generating x/y album art squares, parsing a metadata format I extended, prepopulating an album dir template, conversion to MP3, I wanted to write an autotagging one from discogs.com too but didn't get to it. Programming is basically parametrizing an action to one or more well-formed parametres. It's a very very general mental function.

What do you mean by 'ex-'? That you don't earn with it anymore, or that you became bored?
>>
>>28972261
Find something else then retard
>>
Programming is only fun when you're creating something that is your own.

Programming a basic calculator? Boring as fuck.

Programming a tool for that video game you love? That's when things start rolling.
>>
File: 631.gif (46 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
631.gif
46 KB, 600x600
>>28972261

>Be me
>Be 9th grade, about to join highschool, gotta pick out what I want to learn
>Choose a combined IT and computer science program which is the hardest to be in
>Improve my grades
>Everyone tells me I have no chance
>Struggle for a year and finally get in
>What the fuck is this shit
>Fucking boring
>Fucking C# objects and SQL database management
>Always tell myself that it'll get better
>Even more boring
>I never thought android development and InfoSec could be this boring
>Get good results and finish highschool
>No employer even cares

Fuck my life
>>
>>28974658
>using fl studio

That's where you fucked up get a real daw or better yet use an MPC3000
>>
>>28975483
>implying there's anything wrong with fl studio
The nigga that made the music for Doom used it and some other stuff
>>
File: 1386800101793.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1386800101793.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
Go buy some beer. It's one activity you won't stop once you get started.

>>28975444
Happened to me as well. You won't become a programmer if it isn't also your hobby and you don't have a bunch of projects to show off.
>>
I think programming is sick. I program professionally which is alright but I really love programming vidya just cause it's fun. It's nice being able to make an entire world in a game or any app really. It feels good to make something or figure out problems. The way you program will have a large influence on how enjoyable it will be though. If you don't plan things out ahead of time it becomes a nightmare I usually write things out. I really wanna make a game for NEETs that is just hanging out with someone or living with someone.
>>
File: 1392090357043.png (120 KB, 356x333) Image search: [Google]
1392090357043.png
120 KB, 356x333
>get intense mental fatigue whenever I force myself to do anything productive and piercing headaches if I do more than a couple hours
>>
>>28974764
Yeah but it's tedious and generally most tasks an individual would need accomplished already have software written for them. I used to program in C and x86 assembly (for OS development) but over time I found that the rewards aren't worth the effort, and that software development is more of a business than an actual useful thing. Most programs that ever needed to be written were done 20+ years ago, so continuing to program is a waste of time unless you're just trying to jew people out of their money.

>>28974676
Pick up some mechanical skills. Woodworking is a good start, and from there you can work up to metalworking/machining. Building real-life things has the same problem-solving feel to it that programming does, but with a tangible result at the end.
>>
>>28974658
Iktf bro but I got ableton instead, I can figure out the basics but I just can't get things to sound like how I want in my head. It sucks having so many ideas and being too stupid and untalented to get them down properly
>>
>>28972261
Foreverially delitized
>>
>>28975365
>Programming a tool for that video game you love? That's when things start rolling.

Can confirm. I once dug into the binary format of one small game I was great at. It turned out that while the game reported the scores as integers, it actually stored it as fractions. I wrote a script that extracted the real values, and consequently, was literally the only person in the world who knew his *exact* results in it, while other people only knew the approximations. Fun.
>>
>>28975719
I had the same issue for a long time.

Now I realise it's better to just experiment and use what you like to construct your music. Trying to create "what you want to sound like" is hard, and takes years of experience, and it's just not fun.

If you experiment and "go with the flow", you'll learn new techniques. Stop trying to sound like the ideas in your head. Start sounding like what comes natural when you mess around.
>>
>>28975905
>Stop trying to sound like the ideas in your head. Start sounding like what comes natural when you mess around.

This makes no sense. What comes natural IS the sounds that I have in my head. I naturally want to produce what I want; I just can't.
>>
>>28975965
>>28975905
In other words, you're literally just saying, 'stop trying, random garbage I shit out is best because it is "truly" natural'. Says who? I want to make the composition I want to make. I don't want to only concede the quality of random farting around.
>>
>>28975671
You're a shit programmer, I can tell just by your belief that "most tasks an individual would need accomplished already have software written for them"
Like holy shit dude, just because you can FizzBuzz and push values onto a register doesnt make your opinion worth anything.

My advice for OP and anyone in OPs position is to either try and be creative, programming (or at least working toward) something you find interesting and useful, or just straight up copy someones finished product. Remember that nothing you make will be perfect from the start. Welcome mistakes, they're a necessary part of the learning process.

For example, I made a fairly simple app so that friends and I could play some dumb tabletop game on our phones together.

If you try and just brute force your way through a programming book, you are probably going to have a bad time. Have fun with it until you get a soul sucking 9-5 programming stupid corporate shit.
>>
>>28976237
>You're a shit programmer
Haha sweet butthurt, you don't need to treat all arguments like personal attacks fyi. Care to give me an example of something that needed to exist that only got written recently?
>>
>>28976237
>Welcome mistakes, they're a necessary part of the learning process.

If you rely on such supremely retarded 'bad is actually good because without bad there would be no good' pseudologic, you're not anywhere near a good programmer either.
>>
>>28976237
>just because you can FizzBuzz

Hey, don't dismiss FizzBuzz. I once spent a couple of hours on it and independently came up with IIRC the shortest version possible in my language.
>>
>>28975965
>>28975985
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is, stop expecting to be able to realise all the amazing ideas you have in your head right off the bat. You will only get frustrated and give up if you do that.

Instead, you should go with the flow, for now, and create just for the sake of creating and learning. Then, maybe in a few years, you'll be able to convert your ideas into sound that lives up to your own standards and expectations.

I went into creating my first tracks wanting it to sound on par with guys who've been producing music for years. If you put too high standards for yourself at the start you'll stop enjoying the process of learning.
>>
>>28976752
Jesus Christ.

Now in addition to questioning the 'naturalness' of my desire to just realize what I want to compose, you're insulting me by implying that my intent is not 'just creating and learning', implying God knows what -- that I want to fulfill some small-spirited ambition or prove something to myself. What the fuck. You're such a piece of shit. How about you give me tips how to be a better music maker WITHOUT vapid ad hominems that 'I'm not creating naturally'/'creatively'/'with the flow'? I literally hate people like you.
>>
>>28976819
Not that guy but try to recreate tracks you like and just watch/read some tutorials read up on scales and how they work you god damn fucking autistic retard kill yourself seriously
>>
>>28976819
>>28976752
In other words, when someone comes to you with problem x, instead of helping them with problem x, you insult them with saying 'stop focusing on problems', 'just be natural', 'just be a true artist that doesn't care about every single minor obstacle he meets', 'start actually caring about what you do and not about your mistakes. Fucking ass.
>>
>>28976878
>mistakes.
*mistakes'.
>>
>>28976873
Actually I'm not even >>28975719. Excepting one attempt a couple of months ago, I never went into music at all. I just wrote >>28975965 >>28975985 and >>28976819 >>28976878 because I'm annoyed by that blaming brand of argumentation that fucker used. I see it everywhere.
>>
File: 1436262594995.gif (2 MB, 393x561) Image search: [Google]
1436262594995.gif
2 MB, 393x561
>>28976932
You should still neck yourself desu
>>
>>28976991
(This post quoted >>28976959 which I reposted because typo.)

I'm aware; but that I should die doesn't mean I'm wrong here.
>>
>>28976819
>>28976878
Nigga I'm not questioning anything. I'm just sharing my experience with creating music and putting too high standards for yourself when you're still not knowledgeable enough to create the music you hear in your mind.

The key to being a better musician is to make more music. I used to obsess over that one track that I had in my head, trying too hard to make it real without making any progress because I was just not skillful enough. You need to get over that and focus on making more music, even if it's generic shit. You don't have to release everything you make.
>>
File: ld30 1.gif (1 MB, 812x633) Image search: [Google]
ld30 1.gif
1 MB, 812x633
>>28972261
make something. you learn so you can make something

make a simple calculator, or a simple game.
>>
>>28977007
>putting too high standards

You are STILL doing that.

Holy shit. Are you capable of writing a single post that doesn't attack the people you're purporting to help? How you're implying that I'm some proud asshole that wants to impress others or himself by his 'unrealistic standards'.

>The key to being a better musician is to make more music.

This is like saying 'the key to being better is to become better'. Fuck off. You're full of shit. I'm sick of people like you. If you had any desire at all to help people make better music, you'd discuss chords or scales or phrases or anything, I don't know, rather than impling 'start low and modest, stop being so overreaching'. Everyone should reach as high as they can only conceive. I want to make great music right away. Wanting anything less is pointless. I will do anything in my power to read resources on music theory and neuroaesthetics to accomplish that -- high quality music -- but in return, you could have the modicum of human decency not to imputate some low motives to me, such as, you literally said this, 'not focusing on making music'.

I hate you. Fucking scum.
>>
>>28976819

Way to take everything personally. No one will ever be able to give you advice if you think everything just an "ad hominem". Literally saw none of that in the post.
>>
>>28977106
>Way to take everything personally.

>attack someone
>'what the fuck?!...'
>'stop taking everything so personally!'
>>
File: 6Yxs-hthT5Q.jpg (87 KB, 448x448) Image search: [Google]
6Yxs-hthT5Q.jpg
87 KB, 448x448
>>28977114

Maybe you should be practicing instead of raging on 4chan. That'd make you a better musician much faster. ~~<3
>>
>>28977128
>point out a lazy brand of pseudoadvice that legitimizes evasion of discussion of real, existent factors which make music good or bad and blames people who earnestly, naively try to improve
>'how about you stop being mad and get to music, you hypocrite'
>>
>>28977088
Can't tell if ironic shitposting/baiting or just full autism
>>
>>28977088
So you want to be good without practise. Ok man, good luck with that.

Ask any of the musicians you love and I bet your ass 100% of them didn't make good music right from the start. Hell, ask anyone that's amazingly good at anything, and all of them will have been bad at what they do when they started.
>>
>>28977088

You're not going to make great music right away. If you do not understand this you will never be a decent musician, let alone a great one. You should probably just off yourself.
>>
>>28977186
Neither.

>>28977191
>So you want to be good without practise.
>>28977231
>You're not going to make great music right away.

All right, now you got me literally mad.

Let me remind me -- read this and comprehend this!!- that I am NOT, I, repeat, NOT the original anon who mentioned musicmaking in that thread. I'm not a musician at all -- my hobbies have so far been programming and linguistics. But I can't stomach such revolting attacks of people who ask for help. 'Pointers on how to make my music objectively prettier, please?' 'YOU LAZY FAGGOT HOW ABOUT YOU PRACTICE MORE DO YOU WANT EVERYTHING TO FALL ON YOUR PLATE???!!!'. Rather than discussions of, I don't know, again, tensions or harmony or polyphony or whatever, I'm not a musician. Someone wants to improve, and instead you lowly imply to him the very opposite -- that he does not want to improve.

It's odious, it's stomach-turning, it's despicable.
>>
>>28972526
Does autism hinder the ability to do anything useful?
>>
Two types of people get jobs in IT nowadays

1) Hobbyists, who started at a young age
2) The top 20% of the class at a good university
3) Family connections
4) Indians

The rest is a lottery.

The Indian thing is not a meme. They're shit, and it's true, but it's still cheaper than hiring domestically, and out of every ten shit Indian code monkeys there will be one or two decent or good ones, which everyone banks on getting. They have an elaborate infrastructure based around getting those H-1Bs, they know what's hot in the market, they know how to fluff a resume and pump with it authentic-sounding credentials, they do it shamelessly because recruiters won't bother verifying work history in India.

I don't know anything about law or medicine, but I'd say go there instead. The entry requirements for just getting a basic IT job have risen quite a bit. If you're dumb or average, basically, you're fucked
>>
>>28975483
lmao mpc3000 is worthless, software is far more superior nowadays, also fl studio is a legit daw
>>
File: GAME.png (74 KB, 1000x903) Image search: [Google]
GAME.png
74 KB, 1000x903
>>28976286
He just told you that it's not about what's others have done before you moron

Programming is one of the coolest things ever if you have an interesting project that you want to work on.
I could work on something several hours a day if i get really into it. Usually i get bored after 2-3 weeks and start something new though.

Like some other anon mentioned earlier, if you try to force your way through a coding book just for the sake of learning you'll probably want to kill yourself pretty soon. You need to know the basics of course, but after that start making some really, really simple shit, things you can sorta tackle right from the start.
>>
>>28977295
>says 'Two types of people'
>gives five types of people
>>
>>28977268
In other words, I would NEVER tell anyone 'to practice'. NEVER. No matter what he asked, what subject, what hobby.

Because they deserve better from me.
>>
>>28974658
Isn't hip hop mostly about sampling shit? Why don't you try that?

Don't give up anon, if you have an interest just keep trying for a while. It's never too late to have fun.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (120 KB, 593x640) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
120 KB, 593x640
>want to learn something
>realize it's too late and there are 12 year olds at a skill level you'll never reach
>>
>>28977268
If you're not a musician, then why do you think your opinion about how to improve as a musician has any value?

My reply to that anon was sincere because I've struggled with the same problem as him. I was reading too much about music, watching too many tutorials, learning how to work with a DAW, learning all the technical stuff. But in the end, what I really needed to do is to stop reading, watching, listening. What I needed is to start making more music, even if it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be from the start.
>>
>>28977507
>I was reading too much about music, watching too many tutorials, learning how to work with a DAW, learning all the technical stuff. But in the end, what I really needed to do is to stop reading, watching, listening. What I needed is to start making more music

Now you're actually literally implying that the person asking for help is too stupid to remember that one should put one's reading to practice. Your insults stop being hurtful and start being preposterous.

>If you're not a musician, then why do you think your opinion about how to improve as a musician has any value?

Because while PARTICULAR advice differs from subject to subject -- musicwriting, writing, programming, art, dyi, relationships -- flipping someone off with 'just practice more you coward' takes equally zero skill in all of them.
>>
>>28977573
(Note that even I, though I have basically zero music knowledge, have managed to namedrop as examples four aspects of music which could be SOME kernel of own research, SOME kind of pointer for a newcomer. While what you gave is a precise, round, fat nothing.)
>>
When doom went open source I learned how to code from that, then straight up ripped off what they did and make a significantly less interesting doom clone, and thats what taught me how to code.
>>
>>28977594
>four aspects
*six aspects
>>
>>28977573
I'm glad the guy I originally replied to is not as much of an ungrateful shithead like you are. Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>28977613
>go up to a homeless person
>spit on them
>'get a grip on yourself you trash'
>'oh and be thankful for my motivation'
>>
File: 1464718157409.jpg (29 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1464718157409.jpg
29 KB, 500x350
>some really funny outcast dudes i knew invited me to join their band even though i didnt even play
>never made it in because i was such a slow and retarded learner
>contact slowly decreased after that

I'll play their platinum record when im working my wageslave job in about 5-10 years. Fuck they were really good too, like on a whole higher level than your average shitty friend band.
>>
>>28977676
What instrument did they throw on you? Bass?

They probably needed a bass player because no one wants to be the bass player right?
>>
>>28977676
Name of band?
>>
>>28972554
Sorry but highschool is a joke.

The reality is you are just not that smart, and being around retard highschool kids on a retard highschool program probably made you overvalue your intelligence.

I graduated with a masters in biology (minor in law) and I currently work for the government in energy / waste management (the art of turning garbage into power).

I studied no lie, maybe 2 hours a week per course and I skipped 80% of my classes.

I always remembered all the dumb shit because I really liked it and i have a damn good memory. I just read the entire textbook front to back 2-3 times and I can pretty much reference any point in the book. I also have a minor in law in which I legit just memorised my textbook and then regurgitated all the legal BS back onto my exam. Got 100% on all my tests, and a 50% on my major project which required me to actually do shit (we had 4 months to do it and I did the entire thing 6 hours before it was due. Ended the course with a 75. Lol.
>>
>>28977739
Bass yeah, but they didn't just pick me up as a last resort at least.

>tfw only people who didnt consider me a last option gave up and its entirely my own fault

>>28977757
Dont know anymore, i dont think they even named it yet or something
>>
>>28977844
An average high schooler is not retarded. He's of average intelligence*. Stop meaninglessly redefining high school as easy only so to decrease the sense of rarity of people's own ability ('you are not that smart'), which cripples the sense of urgency of researching intelligence and its heredity, hurting people as a result.

(*Well not really, the average hs graduate is something like 105 obviously, but you know what I mean.)
>>
>>28977902
>>28977844
(In fact, I just realized that you dismissing this error of yours is particularly worrying considering both your major and your minor.)
>>
>>28977902
OK let me rephrase that, the students aren't retarded, but the material is.

HS is a complete joke, especially since very few students take it seriously, and the majority of kids just glide through it doing as little effort as possible. And still end up "succeeding".

Also I've seen the smartest HS kids fail second year uni and some of the underachievers really flourish. There's a big diff from HS and Uni. And that is personal responsibility. Intelligence doesn't mean shit if you don't study.
>>
>>28977676
>there are people on this planet who literally cant even play simple bass lines

You dont even need to know how to play bass, just let the lead guitarist write you easy fucking bass lines and practice it for an hour a day and you're fucking done.
>>
>tfw I've been programming for 10 years but have no significant contributions or personal projects
JUST
>>
>>28978003
>Intelligence doesn't mean shit if you don't study.

This is like saying 'good health doesn't mean shit if your body hurts either way' or 'being of good eyesight and hearing is absolutely worthless if you don't go out and watch things'.

>people with such grasp on logic go on into law
>>
>>28978053
>>28978003
In other words, you sever a factor exceedingly predictive of life success (in fact, THE BEST predictor of it) from said relationships of it, and then proclaim 'look look it means nothing in itself'. It's like saying that the human heart is completely worthless if you remove it from a functioning body. It's ridiculous.
>>
>Get a part time Job that lets you safe up a few grand
>Get your TEFL Certification
>Move to Asia and teach basic English
>>
>>28977507
>I was reading too much about music, watching too many tutorials, learning how to work with a DAW, learning all the technical stuff. But in the end, what I really needed to do is to stop reading, watching, listening. What I needed is to start making more music, even if it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be from the start.
Just jumping in to say i agree with this statement. A composer needs a lot of experience, so just keep making stuff. You can know all the scales in the world but it doesn't mean shit if you can't make music with them. You can know every trick in your DAW, but that's just overkill if you're not gonna use it.

Nowadays i just try to keep a balance between making music and "learning".
>>
>>28978138
>You can know all the scales in the world but it doesn't mean shit if you can't make music with them.

It's not even that you're literally retarded that makes me feel hopeless.

It's the fact that no one else here understands it either.
>>
I thought coding would be cool and fun when I was in high school. Took a few courses at community college over the summer, then for my first year of college.

I fucking hated it. The work was boring but stressful at the same time and the people were absolutely awful. I thought I would be surrounded by other weirdos but instead I was surrounded by nothing but SJWs and nu-males
>>
>>28978174
>>28978138
But still, let me... again... again... again... again...

>guy # 1: 'hey guys can you help me make better compositions?'
>guy # 2: 'yes, try scales ... (technical details whatever)'
>guy # 3 (you): 'WHAT AN IDIOT KNOWING FACTOR X THAT CONTRIBUTES TO A GOOD COMPOSITION DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU KNOW FACTORS A, B, C, ... THAT ALSO CONTRIBUTE TO A GOOD COMPOSITION THIS IS LIKE OBVIOUS LEARN LOGIC BEFORE YOU SPEAK KILL YOURSELF ALSO KNOWING STUFF != MAKING STUFF AND THIS IS TOTALLY NOT A MINDNUMBING-TIER NON-SEQUITUR'
>>
>>28978188
>I thought I would be surrounded by other weirdos but instead I was surrounded by nothing but SJWs and nu-males

yeah theyve been slowly creeping their ways into coding and open source development

usually they only go for the entry courses and then drop out/leave it at just one course
>>
>>28972261
You just need to find a project that interests you. I was maximizing my profits on a game by using algorithms I created myself to merchant obscure sets of items. I would then leave macros running that I coded myself so I wouldn't feel as obligated to sit at my computer and needlessly grind. It was fulfilling in a big way.
>>
>>28978241

From what I've seen from my friends who stayed in programming they say the SJWs and nu-males and feminists, etc work with them now too.

And by work they mean "sit around on FB all day and pass their work off to the real coders who are forced to do overtime to meet the deadlines"
>>
>>28972261
>tfw my dream of becoming a game designer won't come true
>>
File: 1391384035795.jpg (373 KB, 341x480) Image search: [Google]
1391384035795.jpg
373 KB, 341x480
>tfw while you retards were arguing I was making some dank synthwave music
laffin at u all desu
>>
>>28978382
I used to think designing games was like how the movies portrayed them, then I tried making one and its a lot of yelling at your program frustrated why it won't let you do something, and your boss making you pull double over time
>>
>>28972261
Like three years ago I started using code academy but I thought fuck it and stopped.

I wish I kept at it, I may have learned enough by now to list it as a skill on my resume
>>
>neet
>want to learn how to cook
>download a bunch of books and beginner guides
>>
File: 8izKK9gxT.jpg (101 KB, 1280x1600) Image search: [Google]
8izKK9gxT.jpg
101 KB, 1280x1600
>>28972261
>neet
>want to learn how to make 3d models/animations
>download a bunch of programs and beginner guides
>give up after 30 minutes
>>
File: 1464735773205.jpg (134 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1464735773205.jpg
134 KB, 960x960
>want to draw graphic novel
>have to clean room for desk space
>this was back in december
>room is still messy
>>
>>28972261
>not a neet
>want to learn guitar, how to draw with a tablet
>work hard for 6 months
>still no real signs of improvement
>>
>>28972436
Exactly the same here. I am afraid yo quit and fuck up everything. Don't really have a passion..
>>
>neet
>want to learn how to masturbate
>download a bunch of books and beginner guides
>>
>>28978630
Come on anon this is inexcusable, drink some coffee.
>>
I don't know which language you want to learn but don't give up
It's intimidating at first but it's really fun
Here are a couple sites to help you out though
java is great for beginners so i'd recommend starting there
runestone is really nice even though it's for advanced programming it still covers the basics like variables, objects, etc
http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/JavaReview
practiceit is pretty good too and includes practice problems
http://practiceit.cs.washington.edu/index.jsp
if you don't understand a problem such as converting to binary or anything then look up a couple tutorials and try to work your way through it
another great site http://www.javavideotutes.com/
java is a bit similar to python so if you wanted to study other languages afterwards i don't think you would struggle too much
>>
>>28978237
Dude. Take a deep breath and leave the thread before you have a heart attack.
>>
>>28979558
>java is a bit similar to python

Granted I don't know either, but outside of a shared comparison to some esoteric/relying on a completely different paradigm languages, I don't see how this is true.
>>
>>28978174
What's so retarded about that? You can learn all the scales in the world in 1 day, but being able to improvise with them in a specific style takes time.

I'm not talking about whatever this dilemma is:
>>28978237. Just saying what i think.
>>
>>28979770
If you still don't see the idiocy (as well as the social purpose) of the 'useless in itself' fallacy, there is nothing I can say in addition to what I had.
>>
iuno if its been said, but the hard route, way i do it, is trial & error... its slow and boring, but theres a flow to it with enough pre-knowledge
>>
>>28979867
>the hard route, way i do it, is trial & error

This is like saying that learning is all about understanding the subject more.
>>
>>28979936
i said with enough pre-knowledge, theres a flow... taking the primitives and applying them
>>
>>28972555
but still, if he hadn't made it....
that's why you have to try
>>
>>28979763
mb
i meant C++, got them mixed up
>>
>>28975483
fl has been a 'real DAW' for years now
>>
>>28972436
>>28978704
Don't worry bros, I am the same way too
>>
>>28979793
You literally haven't said anything. You've replied to me twice telling me i'm retarded and that i should know why. You could've taken the same amount of time to explain why instead.

Let me just give a quick example: I could teach someone the blues scale, and he could learn to play around with it on the piano. But he's still a far way from being able to improvise like a bluesman because he doesn't know any of the vocabulary of blues. In order to get that he needs to 1. play & experiment a lot and 2. listen to blues records & study them.
>>
I don't believe anybody becomes a self-taught programmer out of choice. It's almost always out of necessity.
>>
>>28980109
>improvise like a bluesman

spoken like a true retard
>>
>>28976752
good post. all the other faggots who responded to you are gay. that's why they'll remain shit.
>>
>>28977268
but he's literally right you autistic fuck. how about download a DAW and see for yourself?
>>
>>28980161
Sorry anon but you're the retard in this case
>>
>>28972261

LOL , i feel a dejavu going on here
>>
>>28974658
Obviously you music will sound like shit now, you've only just started. Keep doing it, make shit up as you go along, the faster you get the shirty tracks that you learn from out the way the faster you'll find the right sound.
>>
Can somebody give me an example of a task 9-5 wageslave coders usually have to deal with?
>>
>>28980109
>literally thinking that 'to become a musician, one must practice' is valid advice and justifying it with the 'fact' that one skill != all skills there are

'You should kiss my feet when I say that the way to become a programmer is to just code more bro dude man because you won't understand the idea of returning a function until you understand the idea of returning in the first place'.

Indeed, you might be actually, literally, retarded.
>>
I've been programming off and on for years but I never have the drive or dedication to start or finish something.
>>
>>28980257
>>28981867
If one made a 'you have one chance to telepathically transmit a short statement into the brains of every human' thread, my might just as well be 'THE FACT THAT A TRUISM IS TRUE IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER MAKES IT WORTHWHILE YOU EVOLUTION-DEFYING IDIOTS'.
>>
>>28982187
>>28980257 >>28981867
(Of course, I wouldn't complain about you just saying nothing and producing noise that distracts from real discussion -- that is to be expected. But as I pointed out in the whole series of posts, >>28975965 >>28975985 >>28976819 >>28976878 >>28977088 >>28977163 >>28977268 >>28977435 >>28977573 >>28977634, you actually actively insult the people that turn to you for help.)
>>
>>28977500
You could say this about literally every skill. Its about being well rounded, you don't have to be the best at something, just good at lots of things.
>>
>>28982103
>>28982187
>>28982254
Jesus we're all trying to help and share OUR experiences. You can take it or leave it you whiny piece of shit. You have literally no clue what you're talking about and you haven't asked a SINGLE question to the people giving you answers.
You strawman ever single thing i've said and then you have the balls to call me retarded.
You pick up a violin and then you cry when people tell you to just have fun with it and play easy music at first.
>>
>>28983070
I began this whole discussion when YOU insulted another poster (not me), >>28975719, by implying a host of accusations about him in >>28975905, namely that he doesn't 'just experiment', 'use what he likes', 'go with the flow', and 'do what comes naturally', none of which are in any contradiction with his declaration of wanting to reproduce the sounds in his mind. Then it you only made it more abusive from there.
>>
Also.

>>28983070
>complains of me purportedly strawmanning
>commits a strawman himself in the very previous post (>>28982685), where he implies that the person he replied to has ridiculous all-or-nothing standards of only wanting to be the best
>>
>>28972261
that guy in the picture looks like me after 10 years,more fat,more useless but same face.holy shit,maybe i need to reevaluate my life thanks to this fucking post
>>
>>28974658
Learn music theory, learn the program, download Nexus, Massive, Sylenth etc, download drum kits + sample packs, learn sound design, learn how to mix and master

There's millions of YouTube tutorial vids
>>
>>28983070
>>28983347

This is me >>28978138
Look, i sort of see what you're getting at. You're saying that people shouldn't just say "go practice more" and "you have to make bad music first", and i do agree with that to some extent. I think it's a lot better to inspire someone than to overwhelm him.
But it's not really about practice, it's about just having fun and rolling with it. Just keep making stuff and you'll always get better. There's a time for studying music (analyzing songs, learning tricks, memorizing scales) and there's a time for MAKING MUSIC (the main thing you're supposed to be doing). So what i'm pretty sure everyone else is saying, and what i am confident in saying, is: "Go play a lot of chess and leave the chess books at home".

>implying a host of accusations about him in >>28975905, namely that he doesn't 'just experiment', 'use what he likes', 'go with the flow', and 'do what comes naturally'
That's not me, and what the fuck, how is that an accusation? How did he insult him?

>Then it you only made it more abusive from there.
How the fuck is it abusive when a more experienced musician tells a less experienced one how he progressed and developed?

Anyway you sound like a real crazy motherfucker and an asshole. I hope you take the time to apply yourself because 90% of everything you've posted ITT is just empty insults.
>>
>>28972261
>>28975802
With permanent ham bologna and cheese tongue, tied up and he loves it
>>
>>28972411
You are autistic as fuck, get a license you lazy piece of shit. Driving is easy as fuck and you are a man child If you make your parents do it.
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.