[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Read any good books lately?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 14
File: doandroids.jpg (12 KB, 177x285) Image search: [Google]
doandroids.jpg
12 KB, 177x285
Read any good books lately?
>>
>>28964430
Been reading King of California and it's pretty good. It's interesting to learn about my state's history, especially the stuff most people don't know about.
>>
>>28964430
/lit/ here. Nice to see some love for the Dick. Pic related, it's what I've been reading on and off.
>>
>>28964430
Whatever

Confederacy of Dunces

Oil!

Antiintellectualism in American Life

The Red Baron
>>
>>28965193

kevin spacey?
>>
File: maario.png (398 KB, 1000x769) Image search: [Google]
maario.png
398 KB, 1000x769
The Road.

Started on A Canticle for Leibowitz, but it kinda lost me after a while. Will have to pick it back up.

Been reading Battle Royale on-and-off, too.

Anyone know where I could get a .pdf copy of Blood Meridian?
>>
>>28965392
Fuck I don't remember attaching that picture
>>
File: 005.jpg (51 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
51 KB, 280x280
I got a handful of books from Amazon to read at work while I'm on lunch.

>Roadside Picnic
A good book, inspired the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games as many know.
Reads a little funny at some parts, but that's cause it was written by a pair of ruskie bros. It's a good book if you're into the game.

I also read The Postman
It was an alright story, set in post-apocalyptic America. Some guy finds a Postman's uniform and wears it, starts lying about who he is (poses as a government official for the restoration for the United States)
It gets him into all sorts of situations, a good enough read.

Right now I'm almost to the end of Earth Abides. So far it's my favorite out of the books I've received. A good post-apocalyptic story, it deals not with survivors fighting, but with the idea of rebuilding what humanity has lost, along with a more realistic kind of after the great big habbening (A virus fucks up humanity's shit)
A good read, for those of you who are into Post-Apoca stuff.

After this one though, I'm gonna pick up Flowers for Algernon. I read a snippet back in 3rd grade and watched the movie in 8th grade. I know the story somewhat, it makes me cry every time since my sister is mentally retarded.

Feels good to get back into reading after taking a little hiatus off of it.
>>
File: Cryptonomicon(1stEd).jpg (62 KB, 400x575) Image search: [Google]
Cryptonomicon(1stEd).jpg
62 KB, 400x575
Just finished this baby
>>
File: cover_277.jpg (46 KB, 277x416) Image search: [Google]
cover_277.jpg
46 KB, 277x416
Just finished this book. Pretty impressed, what do you bros think of it?
>>
>>28966245
What did you think of it? It's one of my favorites.
>>
>>28964430
The first page and a half of Doestoyevsky's Notes from the Underground

It described my condition so terrifyingly accurately

That was 18 months ago, I haven't read since
>>
I just finished Midnight Tides, waiting for a copy of The Bonehunters to arrive. Fucking beautiful.
Tehol is the ultimate smug NEET
>ywn bankrupt society from bed with the help of your elder god manservant
Apparently MT is the peak of the series and the rest from here on is a slow uphill slog through shit, at least according to the internet. I'm really looking forward to reading Bonehunters anyway because the seven cities story arc has been my favorite so far and Icarium is my husbando.

other than that autistic shit I read the first half of the book of the new sun which I would recommend to all of you
>>
>>28964430
Dialectical materialism.

It's dope. You start to understand WHY the world is the way it is.
>>
>>28966288
Gary Stu wish fulfillment. I still like it
>>
File: siddhartha.jpg (64 KB, 286x475) Image search: [Google]
siddhartha.jpg
64 KB, 286x475
Short, easy to read, profound. Would recommend.
>>
>>28966487
>anything coming from the East
>anything but female magazine pop-psych tier
>ever
>>
>>28966315
It almost lost me at the 3/4 mark when Andy started up that lawsuit business and it seemed to lag a little, but the conclusion was incredibly satisfying and freshly unique in the way it finishes telling the intended story, and no more.

I found it very interesting that you could already see the way the timelines intersected early on, but little details kept popping up and tying up loose ends I didn't even think about; a very thorough book.

I agree, it is one of my favorite books, but I'll have to let the book digest before I judge too much, you know what I mean?

I want to raise a daughter and name her America now
>>
I've been reading Crime & Punishment lately, pretty great. Also reading the Haruhi LNs, which are pretty good as far as light novels go
>>
>>28966511
You know this book was written by a German in 1920 right? Don't be so reactionary.
>>
>>28966571
I am aware.

I'm looking through his Wikiquote page. Literally nothing he said makes an ounce of sense. He sound as if what people must normally fry their brains with LSD to spout, was was able to innately.
>>
>>28966719 >>28966571
(Please don't misunderstand me: it's perfectly anti-intellectual and harmful. It just makes zero sense. It's not exclusive.)
>>
Just got an anthology of short stories by Ray Bradbury. I fucking love his prose.
>>
Republic again
Socrates is an obnoxious cunt

I need some new books
>>
>>28966719
>He sound as if what people must normally fry their brains with LSD to spout, was was able to innately.

Was this last bit a joke?

Anyways we'll have to agree to disagree. The book was good and you think too much for your own good.
>>
>>28965105

Greentext synposis?

Your own opinion/thoughts on it?
>>
File: The_Things_They_Carried.jpg (23 KB, 283x418) Image search: [Google]
The_Things_They_Carried.jpg
23 KB, 283x418
>>28964430
I've been reading this book, about 2/3's finished, pretty good read in my opinion. I enjoy non-fic history and hard sci-fi, any suggestions appreciated.
>>
The Long Walk, idk how to feel about it, it was kinda weird.

Read Holes in one slow day at work last week. It was fun.

Now trying to do House of Leaves but I'm having trouble getting interested. It reads like a bunch of senseless rambling desu
>>
>>28967016
Have you read the hyperion cantos?
>>
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins, really good.
>>
>>28966824
>Ray Bradbury
My nigga, I remember falling in love with him back in high school.
He's a really good author, and I'm sad that I'll never be able to meet the guy.

"All you umpires, back to the bleachers, Referees, hit the showers. It's my game. I pitch, I hit, I catch. I run the bases. At sunset, I've won or lost. At sunrise, I'm out again, giving it the old try
And no one can help me, not even you"
>>
>>28967395
Did you ever read the Martian Chronicles?
Near the end when it follows that dude living alone on a now-abandoned martian colony, and then that family coming to Mars years later fleeing nuclear war on Earth has stood out to me as one of the best pieces of fiction I've ever read.
>>
I just finished reading a few books like The Sun Also Rises, Macbeth, and Of Human Bondage, and considering I didn't enjoy those and I don't enjoy genre fiction, I think reading might not be for me.
>>
Currently reading Lovecraft. I made the mistake of picking up the Malazan books last year.

>>28966436
WHATS BEHIND THOSE FUCKING DOORS
>>
File: Anomander_sketch_by_slaine69.jpg (116 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
Anomander_sketch_by_slaine69.jpg
116 KB, 600x849
>>28968774
>mistake
I think my wagon needs another puller
feh, nothing personnel normalfag
>>
>>28968839
"mistake" is the wrong word. The first five books were great, six was kinda boring, seven was great, the first half of Toll the Hounds was boring rip in pieces you glorious bastard ;-;, and the last two books were horrible.

Oh, and I forced myself to read the ICE books. You know, to read the half of the fucking story the first couple of books start out. Horrible mistake.
>>
File: smug train girl.jpg (569 KB, 2000x1900) Image search: [Google]
smug train girl.jpg
569 KB, 2000x1900
>>28968839
>I think my wagon needs another puller
What wagon?
>>
>>28968899
I'm actually waiting for book 6 to arrive in the mail
>>
File: 709246._SY540_.jpg (54 KB, 330x540) Image search: [Google]
709246._SY540_.jpg
54 KB, 330x540
>>28966487
this one and pic related are two books i read once a year
>>
File: Wisconsin_Death_Trip_525.jpg (40 KB, 525x407) Image search: [Google]
Wisconsin_Death_Trip_525.jpg
40 KB, 525x407
Awesome shit my niggas
>>
>>28966487
Read it in English class which ruined the whole experience for me. It didn't help that I absolutely loathed the teacher, and he fucking adored the book.

I still really enjoyed it, I just couldn't really admit it.
>>
File: 15657614678645.jpg (38 KB, 598x449) Image search: [Google]
15657614678645.jpg
38 KB, 598x449
>>28964430
do they?
origineniele
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.