[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into Linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: arwen.jpg (148 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
arwen.jpg
148 KB, 2400x1600
Any linux users here? What distro should i install? I just want to try something new.
>>
You don't need to install anything to try it out.

Either run cygwin on your windows box or burn a CD of knoppix to boot into linux with no install.
>>
How can you tell someone is a virgin?

he uses linux
>>
>>28953365
Slackware. It's literally the comfy distro.
>>
>>28953365
Mint is the most user friendly. https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
You can install either version.
If you have Windows 7 and below, you can also use Ubuntu and install it via Wubi like you would install any other program. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
You don't have to repartition your hard drive then.
>>
Start off with ubuntu, maybe xubuntu or vanilla ubuntu.

then something like Arch, or debian.
>>
>>28953365

ubuntu since its the most popular and will usually have a solution online to whatever problems you have

then you can try arch or redhat

then install gentoo to become one of the initiated
>>
I installed linux mint on a new laptop that came with windows 10 yesterday. For what it's worth, I was worried to fuck about missing drivers because a previous fresh install of windows 7 had fucking no drivers whatsoever and a previous try at installing antergos didn't go anywhere. Mint just werked.
>>
The only reason you should be installing Linux is because you are bored and want something fun to do, or, you have a really really old underpowered computer that lags with windows.
>>
File: gentoolinux[1].png (104 KB, 370x492) Image search: [Google]
gentoolinux[1].png
104 KB, 370x492
>>28953365
>>>/g/

Install gentoo
>>
>>28954357
good work fellow gentooman
>>
>>28954357
I know it's a meme, but is there any reason to use gentoo over arch?
I like arch because the software in the official repos is the most current and because of AUR. Also, it is relatively easy to setup. Is there a good reason to switch to gentoo?
>>
>>28954357
This desu.
If you don't compile from source you might as well go install Windows 10 and post on craigslist to get some older men to f u c c your boipucci.

Gentoo or bust.
>>
>>28954437
It's not a meme, source code matters more than you can imagine.
Don't cuck yourself with proprietary software.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.