[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm getting sick of it lads. i'm getting sick of people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1460326377641.png (13 KB, 780x706) Image search: [Google]
1460326377641.png
13 KB, 780x706
i'm getting sick of it lads.
i'm getting sick of people telling me i'm a defective human when i'm a premed student with a 3.9 simply because i have a few mental illnesses that THEY FUCKING ASKED about.
i'm sick of being told to kill myself by normalfags.
i don't usually let this shit get to me but I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THIS.

WHAT THE FUCK IS SO WRONG WITH NORMIES THAT THEY LITERALLY CANNOT STOP THEMSELVES FROM BEING DISGUSTED BY ANYONE WITH A MENTAL ILLNESS?

WHAT THE FUCK IS SO WRONG WITH THEM THAT THEY'LL GLADLY ACCEPT PHYSICAL DISABILITIES, EVEN MISSING LIMBS AND OTHER SHIT, BUT HAVING A MENTAL ISSUE MAKES YOU A SUBHUMAN WORTHY OF PURGING?

FUCK
>>
You knew this question was coming op.
What metal illness(es) do you suffer from?
>>
>>28949414
Mercury and lead.
>>
what type op?
>>
>>28949428
The worst part about your response is that I alt-tabbed to google what you said, as I didn't know them.

I quickly realised I'm a retard but hey, there you go.
>>
>>28949414
>What metal illness(es) do you suffer from?
MDD for 10 years. Resistant to every medication I've tried (nearly every SSRI and TCA; most antipsychotics too besides heavy schizo type ones like clozapine; tried lithium too.)
Social Anxiety for the same period, similarly resistant and of recent development is a complete resistance to klonopin even after not taking it for months. I took for 4mg of 3 month old pills and felt nothing. Took 6mg of 1 month old pills and felt nothing.
Derealization/Depersonalization -- no treatment and therapy doesn't work on me
Visual Snow -- no treatment
psychiatrist suspects PTSD of some sort is the cause for most of these minus the depression, but therapy doesn't work for me so I'm fucked regarding that.
>>
>>28949356
>begging for people's approval
>not spending all the time you can building up your willpower and optimism

It's your own fault
>>
>>28949530
fuck off normalfaggot. i didn't come here to read more replies from you.
>>
>>28949458
That's unfortunate OP, must feel bad man.
I'm staring at the screen thinking of a way to make you feel better but there is, obviously, nothing I can do for you.
but hey, the things you listed, although I imagine difficult to life with, are nothing alarming for an outsider.
The people that made those comments towards you are just cunts.
If you had full blown schizophrenia, that'd be a red flag, I'd be pretty hesitant to interact with you.

if you can struggle trough, things'll get better.
Students are pretty judgemental but in the real world people only really care how well you perform at your given tasks.
you know, if anything, I think it's more impressive you managed to hang onto that GPA despite the things you suffer from.

tl;dr - students are cunts, school doesn't last forever, keep the struggle going
>>
>>28949575
>The people that made those comments towards you are just cunts.
It's hard enough for me to interact with people and when I finally do I try everything I can to hide my powerlevel, but inevitably people pry me about it. As soon as I tell them I become a pariah despite any previously held opinions.

It's infuriating.

>That's unfortunate OP, must feel bad man.
>I'm staring at the screen thinking of a way to make you feel better
Out of all the things I think the not feeling real for weeks at a time and CONSTANT shit all over my vision is the most crippling. You get used to depression and feeling worthless and feeling extreme paranoia and discomfort around people, but you never get used to this.

I just don't get it. Why do normalfags even ask if they really don't want to hear the answer? Why do they pester me for weeks trying to get me to open up to them if this is invariably their reaction? I cannot even begin to understand this thought process.
>>
>>28949356
protip: it's not your mental illness, it's your shittyness. unironically kill yourself
>>
>>28949639
thanks for the reply

antisagereplyblox
>>
File: 246462867457.png (513 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
246462867457.png
513 KB, 1280x720
>>28949458

>MDD

That's not even a real mental illness

normie depression is just meme that chads and stacys propagate because they want to feel like poor, oppressed special snowflakes, even if they are medical students with everything planned out and everything going for them.

Depression in normies is usually just low mood caused by staying up late and drinking energy drinks. Cut that out and you will be fine.

Real lasting depression is caused by social isolation and having no prospects like most robots on /r9k/.

But in the end, it has a tangible cause. It isn't caused by some magic chemical imbalance that nobody can measure. Schizophrenia is a mental illness. Psychosis is a mental illness. Depression is not a mental illness. Especially not meme normie depression

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you think that you could escape from the truth here?
We're not going to coddle you. Go to facebook for that
>>
>>28949744
>That's not even a real mental illness
stopped reading here.

physiological depression (MDD or clinical depression or whatever the fuck you want to call it) is not the same as transient, event driven depression.

go fuck yourself retard.
>>
>>28949634
Although I can't speak for your direct environment, people have gotten a skewed image of mental illnesses.
Because every attention-starved teenage girl is "sooo depressed right now" and constantly spewing about how severe their depression is, people got pretty much fed-up with people claiming depression and claiming you suffer from it will probably be met with scowls and eye-rolling.
Same goes with social anxiety, people are self-diagnosing left and right and it's not taken that seriously anymore, even though it should.

I, luckily, have never suffered from depression but people have told me that it's pretty hard to understand unless you suffered from it.
The go-to seems to be .. just really sad, all the time but it's probably more than that.

So, to sum things up.
Imagine yourself as a normie, you've had a lifetime of experience with the occasional girls crying depression and social anxiety. You're getting sick of their shit.
supporting somebody with a serious depression is a tough and difficult task, one that takes a lot of time. Its a slow process, and it should be. Else they'll just lapse.

Now you meet this new person in class, he seems pretty cool, you want to know more about him/her and get curious.
Then he opens up to you and tells you about his mental illnesses, and because of the former - they make wrongful assumptions and they think you're more trouble than you're worth.

tl;dr - stacy's ruined it.
>>
>>28949775

>physiological
>"muh chemical imbalance"

Scientists can't measure chemical imbalances, and the whole concept of the imbalance came from an old theory in the 70's known as the monoamine theory, which is shaky.

I agree that there is a difference between lasting depressing and transient depression.

Depression caused by isolation is much stronger than the kind of depression that students and wagies get. The "I just have been feeling so beaten down lately :(" depression that is only a result of a shit diet or lack of exercise.

Normies have know idea what real depression is like.
>>
>>28949863
>Scientists can't measure chemical imbalances
no but they can measure the differences in brain activities in someone who has been depressed for many years and the baseline NT brain activity and there is a difference regardless of what you want to believe.
>monoamine theory, which is shaky.
Except monoamine oxidase inhibitors are very effective antidepressants--sometimes moreso than anything else--and only fell out of favor because of the "danger" they posed to retards who wouldn't stop eating things that would kill them. It's not "shaky" at all.

The chemical imbalance thing is verifiable empirically. We don't know the entire mechanism of action for many of the drugs, but we do know enough to say that certain kinds of drugs modify the levels of a few key neurotransmitters and have verifiable, statistically significant effects. If they were "meme pills" then they wouldn't work ever.
>I agree that there is a difference between lasting depressing and transient depression.
And yet you think someone having depression that doesn't let up or respond to medication for a decade is suffering from transient depression?
>Depression caused by isolation is much stronger than the kind of depression that students and wagies get. The "I just have been feeling so beaten down lately :(" depression that is only a result of a shit diet or lack of exercise.
You realize that depression due to social isolation because you are an extrovert and need social interaction but are starved is a form of transient, event driven depression, right? You realize that it has no physiological basis like in MDD or PDD (dysthymia), right?
>Normies have know idea what real depression is like.
Yeah, I agree, but I don't know why you come into this thread and start slinging shit and memes when you don't know anywhere near enough to be making the determinations you did.
>>
>>28949356
never kill yourself you retard. if you do so they will win. kill them and then you will win
>>
>>28949744
its the depression doesnt exist meme again
>>
>>28949863
le specialflower
>>
File: 135351353456.jpg (10 KB, 237x212) Image search: [Google]
135351353456.jpg
10 KB, 237x212
>>28949930

>Except monoamine oxidase inhibitors are very effective antidepressants

That's how the theory came about. But people's moods being lifted by ingesting chemicals isn't hard, undeniable evidence that there is a chemical imbalance. Peoples moods are lifted by alcohol, but that doesn't mean depression is caused by a lack of alcohol in the brain. It's valid as a THEORY, but it can't be proven.

>You realize that depression due to social isolation because you are an extrovert and need social interaction

See, this is what irks me the most. You can't even conceive of the levels of loneliness robots experience. You think all robots are sad because they are not surrounded by people 24/7 and going to parties. They are sad because they go weeks without any human contact whatsoever

> but I don't know why you come into this thread and start slinging shit

I'll tell you why. It's because of one line in your post. A single line.

>i'm a premed student with a 3.9

You just outed yourself as one of the countless normies who are studying, or who have jobs, or who have girlfriends, and who love coming to /r9k/ and going "i'm so depressed. I'm a robot just like you guis XD"

We are sick to death of seeing this. Every single day.
Next time, you should just leave that line out. Lie, and say that you are a shut-in.

Then maybe people will feel more sorry for you, normie.
>>
>>28949356
>tfw someone posts a pepe you drew months ago
>>
>>28949356
Hey OP, don't let that normalslime bring you down, we robots are here for you.
>>
Keep things private, don't reveal yourself to normies.

that's the trick.
then drink because you can't reveal your secrets without getting odd stares
>>
>>28950043
>Calls others normies
>Posts ebin normalfag animuu

Kek
>>
>>28950043
>It's valid as a THEORY, but it can't be proven.
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v12/n4/abs/4001949a.html
>Dysfunction in the monoamine systems of serotonin (5-HT), norepinephrine (NE) and dopamine (DA) may causally be related to major depressive disorder (MDD). Monoamine depletion studies investigate the direct effects of monoamines on mood.
Sure it can't. I'd post more, but your mind is already made up.
>You can't even conceive of the levels of loneliness robots experience.
Not reading the rest of this sentence. I have been depressed since I was 12 years old when my father suicided and I found the body. Went through countless abusive homes growing up. Was ostracized by peers and still am to some extent. Found my sister's dead body after her suicide. The list goes on. If you think your depression because you're a failed extrovert who is denied access to social interaction is the apex of depression then you really are pathetic. Moreso than even me.
>You just outed yourself as one of the countless normies
Stopped reading your post here.
>>
>>28950043
>Peoples moods are lifted by alcohol, but that doesn't mean depression is caused by a lack of alcohol in the brain.
Also this triggered me very badly. If this is a troll, you created a very good one. I really, really want to respond to it seriously.
>>
>>28950207

Still just a theory, m80-0
Drug companies have been trying for years to find some foundation for the chemical imbalance theory. But they never found anything concrete.

>I have been depressed since I was 12 years old when my father suicided and I found the body

Haven't you every though it was strange how your depression started exactly around the time you experienced a traumatic event? Weird how the chemical imbalance kicked in at the same time that outside event happened. But, it can't be linked, right? it's all about muh chemical imbalance.

Enjoy med school, normie.
Maybe you will learn something about the brain, because you clearly know nothing.
>>
>>28950328
>>Still just a theory, m80-0
Stopped reading here.

You're like the christfags that argue that "evolution is just a theory!"

I'm assuming the rest of your shitpost does a few things:
>something about pharmajews and meme pills
>something about pinning the depression on negative experiences in developmental years without addressing the physiological changes that can occur when that happens. also probably ignoring the rest of the problems i posted earlier.
>something about normies and how you're smarter than me

How close was I?
>>
>>28950386

>Stopped reading there

That phrase isn't a 'get out of argument free' card, friendo.

You still have to address my points.

So what? Is depression caused by a chemical imbalance or real, tangible factors? because you're all over the place. You say you're depressed because of your illness and then turn around and say you're depressed because your sob story about your childhood.

It's really difficult not to think that I'm somewhat smarter than you after the conversation we had
>>
>>28950528
>That phrase isn't a 'get out of argument free' card, friendo.
No, it's a "the opening statement was so retarded I might as well just ignore the rest of the post because it's bound to only be worse" card, friendo.
>You still have to address my points.
I won't address idiocy that I've already addressed.
>So what? Is depression caused by a chemical imbalance or real, tangible factors? because you're all over the place. You say you're depressed because of your illness and then turn around and say you're depressed because your sob story about your childhood.
Few things:
The anxiety is likely a result of a traumatic childhood as well as a genetic predisposition for it given my family history.
The depression is likely the same as the anxiety.
The other two are probably solely a result of the trauma.

You don't seem to understand that traumatic experiences at young ages causes actual, tangible changes in the brain that can lead to things like PHYSIOLOGICALLY based depression.

>It's really difficult not to think that I'm somewhat smarter than you after the conversation we had
What? You mean this one?
>ur depression isn't real normie reee! only isolation based depression is real only robots can have mental illness get out normie ree! chemical imbalances are a meme muh monoamine theory! it's all just a theory nothing is proven!
>But that's wrong you fucking retard and here's some exposition and a study to prove that you're wrong
>still just a theory kiddo! i'm smarter than you! normies reee!

That makes you feel smarter than someone?
>>
File: 1461357619127.jpg (44 KB, 499x533) Image search: [Google]
1461357619127.jpg
44 KB, 499x533
Anyone else just watching this argument unfold for entertainment?
>>
>>28950643
yes
i hope the guy im rooting for wins
>>
>>28950623

Where the fuck is this family history thing coming from?
Where is Occams razor when you need it?

The bad thing happened, and it made you sad.
Bad things make people sad. Reacting to bad events doesn't make you mentally ill. And now you have this grand unifying theory that outside factors cause a chemical imbalance?

All our emotions are caused by chemicals. If you want to use that loose definition, then yes. Sadness itself is a chemical imbalance.

I don't need to debunk depression as a mental illness. You are doing an okay job of it yourself, inadvertently
>>
That fact that you made it this far, and what you achieved is what makes you great OP. Hell, I don't have an mental illness and i cant even get a 3.5, Stay Strong my friend
>>
>>28949356
they literally cant understand, unless they're been there themselves

just avoid all questions and lie
>>
>>28950807
>>The bad thing happened, and it made you sad.
>Bad things make people sad. Reacting to bad events doesn't make you mentally ill. And now you have this grand unifying theory that outside factors cause a chemical imbalance?
All I'm going to post is this and we'll see if you're capable of interpreting it correctly:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181836/
>Traumatic stressors such as early trauma can lead to posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which affects about 8% of Americans at some time in their lives, as well as depression, substance abuse, dissociation, personality disorders, and health problems.
>Symptoms of PTSD are hypothesized to represent the behavioral manifestation of stress-induced changes in brain structure and function. Stress results in acute and chronic changes in NEUROCHEMICAL systems and specific brain regions, which result in longterm changes in brain "circuit," involded in the stress response. Brain regions that are felt to play an important role in PTSD includ the hippocampus, amygdala, and medial prefrontal cortex. Cortisol and norepinephrine are two neurochemical systems that are critical in the stress response.
http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_anxiety_stress_brain_structure
>Studies on animal models have taught us that there may be physical changes in the brain when it is unable to effectively respond or adapt to stress.
>The prefrontal cortex, a key strcture in emotional regulation, decision-making, and memory, may also shrink with depression. The amygdala, where emotional memories are stored, becomes more active in depressive illness and post-traumatic stress disoder. Repeated stress may enlarge the amygdala. A hyperactive amygdala, along with abnormal activity in other brain regions, leads to disrupted patterns of sleep and physical activity. It can also cause abonormal secretion of hormones and other chemicals that affect many systems of the body.
Bet you don't read em
>>
completely agree with this guy btw that the chemical imbalance theory is horseshit

>tell me which chemicals, and whether they are too high/low

"ooh we can't say, lets just experiment with drugs and see if something works!"

you've got researchers working on different sides of the planet going in completely opposite directions

http://www.spring.org.uk/2015/06/social-anxiety-linked-to-surprise-chemical-imbalance-in-the-brain.php

"hey you know that drug you take for social anxiety, it could be you have too much of it in your brain already and we are making you worse, sorry pal"
>>
>>28950999
Giving SSRI's for anxiety always seemed like bullshit to me.

It's important to remember that that's only one anti-anxiety agent, and as far as I know none of the others mess around with your serotonin.
>>
>>28950958

Jeez, everyone gets PTSD these days.
All I'm seeing is words like "hypothosized", and "may cause", "possibly"

I just can't get past the idea that normies are expecting us to feel sorry for them because of some chemical imbalance whatever and we have to take their word on it.
It's just obnoxious.
>>
>>28949356

OP i think your claims are overblown. Furthermore, if you're a 3.9 med student who gives a single fuck what normies think?

You're clearly of superior mental caliber, and stand to make a shitload of money. This will improve your life by untold amounts.

Fuck normies
>>
>>28950999
>completely agree with this guy btw that the chemical imbalance theory is horseshit
depression
https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/284698
http://www.jneurosci.org/content/18/18/7394.full
>Enhanced radioligand binding of an agonist to inhibitory serotonin-1A autoreceptors in the human DR provides pharmacological evidence to support the hypothesis of diminished activity of serotonin neurons in suicide victims with major depression
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322397004848
anxiety
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1998-11070-001
>Serotonergic pathways may play a role in social anxiety disorder, as shown by the clinical effectiveness of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
>Dopaminergic function and striatal dopamine uptake appear to be reduced in social anxiety disorder.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322306007025

Believe what you want, but you're wrong, and the rest of the scientific community says you're wrong.

>>28951058
Read every single study I just posted.

Oh wait, you won't, because you couldn't even read the studies that PROVED that these illnesses cause physical changes in the brain that affect CHEMICALS within the brain. Of course you're not going to believe any of these other papers.

Dismiss them with words you don't understand, yes, that's how science works.

I'm guessing you're a high school dropout who never learned the difference between scientific "hypothesis" and the general definition, as well as how in science you /have/ to use language like "may cause" because results are very rarely definitive. They only strongly suggest one thing or another.

This is especially important to recognize in medicine which is not an exact science like physics.
>>
File: 23623623542346.gif (134 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
23623623542346.gif
134 KB, 340x340
>>28951102

Yeah, awesome.
Congratulations.

Fancy med student comes to an imageboard for people who have no future, no relationships and no hope in life, and he uses everything he knows about medicine to try and prove to them that actually, he is more worse off than them and he deserves pity.

Do you feel like a big man now, bucko?
Educating all these peons?

I actually do feel sorry for you, chief. You must be pretty fucked in the head if this is how you get your kicks
>>
>>28951194
>get absolutely BTFO on every single claim you made
>resort to >b-but muh normies!!

Look faggot. I don't have any friends. I've never had a girlfriend. I'm still a virgin. I'm ugly. The only thing I have going for me is that I'm in school for medicine, and you're sitting here acting like I'm a Chad pretending I've been seeing a psychiatrist for 10 years for attention.

The only thing I wanted to prove to you was that SOME depressions are rooted in physiology, while some are transient and event driven. Your depression, or the depression of most robots, is because they either:
>desire social contact but cannot have it
>desire intimate relationships with women but cannot have it
Those are both perfect examples of your "normie depression" you kept harping on about. Does that bother you? Of course not; you won't even give it a second thought. All that matters is that you delude yourself into thinking your depression is the only real kind and everyone else is just pretending or "doesn't understand," which ironically is exactly what normies do.
>>
>>28951244

yeah, righto, m80

So you're a failed normie with an identity crisis.
Pretty much a dime a dozen around here.

I really don't know what you get out of harping on about your "illness" instead of just accepting that your are depressed because your life is shit.

Maybe you really want to believe that if you pop enough pills, your life will get sorted out.
Well, ignorance is bliss.
Do whatever you gotta do
>>
>>28951102
oh well, science couldn't possibly get this wrong

50 years ago they were hacking people's brains apart performing lobotomies to treat mental illness

they still have no clue

the scientists who disagree with this nonsense simply walk away in disgust and find something useful to do with their lives

http://www.amazon.com/Cracked-James-Davies/dp/1848315562/186-8461131-0789768?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
>>
>>28949356
People like you are usually very annoying to hangout with. If I were you I would actually try to find something better to do than ranting on an imageboard and whining about my issues and try to enjoy life rather than always complaining about shit. It would do yourself a favor for you and everyone around you.
>>
>>28951377
>Why Psychiatry is doing more Harm than Good
post discarded.

Well, I'll address this:
>50 years ago they were hacking people's brains apart performing lobotomies to treat mental illness
Maybe because it was extremely effective? Same reason we give people chemo despite it being literally poison to your body: it works. It's terrible, but it works.

>>28951320
>So you're a failed normie
This will be your final reply. I have thoroughly blown you the fuck off this planet regarding the causes of mental illness, and this "BUT YOU'RE A NORMIE" argument cannot be won, so there's not point replying to you anymore.
>>
File: 1432233321432.gif (895 KB, 200x232) Image search: [Google]
1432233321432.gif
895 KB, 200x232
>>28950528
>a chemical imbalance or real, tangible factors?
>>
the guy I rooted for won
10/10 thread
>>
>>28949356
>i'm sick of being told to kill myself by normalfags.

I hate these fucking YouTubers who brought 4chan into the mainstream.

>XDXDXDXDXD LOL KILL URSELF
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.