[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I see you speaking in front of world leaders someday."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: those interview feels.png (230 KB, 1424x486) Image search: [Google]
those interview feels.png
230 KB, 1424x486
"I see you speaking in front of world leaders someday."
oh how wrong she was

This is something my principal said to 10.5 years ago when I was a sophomore.

I'm 25 now.

Why would she even say this? Even if I hadn't ended up in the pathetic state that I'm in, most likely at best I'd be an assistant manager at some high profile branch of a regional company. As impressive as that is, it's not talking with world leaders, and the chances of that happening to any given student are one in a hundred million.

Why do schools say this dumb shit to kids? Should it be allowed? Is it child abuse?
>>
>>28936430
Because claims of the form of 'you can' are not even wrong, so people go all wishful thinking at them. There are literally no repercussions for exaggerating, because any denial of such a claim is going to be, to the approval of witnesses, met with 'stop being lazy and denying your potential'.
>>
>>28936472
did this ever happen to you?
>>
>>28936472
In other words, I could literally say 'all of you can fundamentally change the world', and dumb normals will still swallow it.
>>
>>28936430
telling you the harsh truth would get you in trouble. the way kids are raised these days you'd probably go home and cry to your mum, who'd complain and get you fired. this shit starts at home. parents need to actually set up their kids for the real world instead of feeding them mindless nonsense about opportunities very few of them will have
>>
>>28936494
Probably. My memory is particularly bad when it comes to other people's not even wrong claims, so I don't remember. I always had a sobre sense of my capaciy though. For instance, I always had intuitive awarness that my programming skill doesn't warrant being called a programmer, so I always referred to myself as 'knowing how to write code' at most.
>>
>>28936523
*get her in trouble
*get her fired
>>
>tfw people around you puffed up your ego while you were growing up to the point it was catastrophic when you didn't achieve anything
>now I'm 26, heavily in debt, have a low-paying part-time job, and have never kissed a girl

End it, God. Please.
>>
Well, you could have, but you're a dumb loser with neither ambition nor talent. Stupid, dumb, frogposting scum.
>>
>>28936554
Only you can end it, anon.

Just kidding, you probably don't even have it in you to kill yourself and in all likelihood are doomed to a sub-average life.
>>
>>28936526
do you have a job?

whydoyoustillhavethisdumbfilterhiroJEWkee?getridofitnowcauseitdoesntdoanythingbutmakepeopletypeinshittextlikethis[/spoier]
>>
>>28936604
I have earned money, but I am a NEET.
>>
>>28936571
i could not have. i wasnt that smart, and i knew it then too
i have almost no talent. and of course i have no ambition, you say it like its news to me
>>
>>28936619
how do you earn money?
GetRidOfThis
>>
>>28936430
>Why do schools say this dumb shit to kids? Should it be allowed? Is it child abuse?

To motivate them to see beyond a mediocre life. Of course it should be allowed. The fact you are trying to frame it as abuse is pathetic.

You're an adult. Sort your fucking life out and stop looking for people to blame for your failings.
>>
>>28936430
>smartest kid that ever went to this school
>his imagination is out of this world
>you can be anything you want

why do they lie? why do they fill us with hope where there is none to be found?

too sad to find images of frogs.
>>
>you will never achieve even 5% of your potential
>your potential wasn't very high to begin with
>>
>>28936634
Well then you are you getting mad at some offhand comment a well-meaning adult made to a child. Have you considered that, in their way, they were attempting to motivate you? Perhaps, after having seen you through two years of schooling and gleaning a bit of what may be to come, your principal saw fit to attempt to change that future they saw in you? Perhaps, had you taken that platitude of encouragement to heart, you may well be speaking in front of world leaders today. Perhaps it's not too late to apply yourself to something.
>>
>>28936680
No it shouldn't be allowed, because it obscures the reality of environmental and genetic brackets of capacity, to the effect of people not working towards expanding them on the causal level (actually increasing people's chances to accopmlish things at the level of genes and upbringing).
>>
>>28936725
In other words, the more you tell people that they can do everything, the more you cripple them by lulling them into self-complacency. The society can only flourish when we teach it the truth about where accomplishment comes from.
>>
>>28936759
Namely, when I'm told that 'I can do everything at any time', this only makes me lazier, because 'oh my achievement depends on me, so no pressure' -- whereas 'had I been born with the right genes, I would have achieved more' spurs you to ensure that your offspring has good ones, and 'I have been born with the right genes, dodged a bulled there' makes you realize how unique you are and obliges you not to waste your rare talent.
>>
>>28936849
To wrap it up: a society where everyone believes that everyone else's success depend on their own choices is a society in which everyone blames and expects from other people and no one ventures to improve it himself.
>>
>told for years that I was a genius and I had an IQ of 140

>"you're gonna do great things anon"

>now I'm 22 and just failed another semester of college classes
>>
>>28936680
>You're an adult. Sort your fucking life out and stop looking for people to blame for your failings
you think anyone's gonna here is going to hear those words?
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>28936725

You're a retard. Get fucked.

>>28937063

Not my problem. Funny how they heard some throwaway words in high school though, isn't it?
>>
>Be constantly praised and over achieve when younger
>Have constant high expectations set for yourself when older because you now believe you should over achieve
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.