[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats your opinion on reading self-help for social anxiety or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: boobs-in-car-650x847.jpg (92 KB, 650x847) Image search: [Google]
boobs-in-car-650x847.jpg
92 KB, 650x847
whats your opinion on reading self-help for social anxiety or other things. Philosophy and things like that.
>>
>>28931390
I wana suck on them boobies and cum on her tummy

oreganoburrito
>>
>>28931390
sit's a step by step proccess that will enlighten you tbqh

smoke a ton of weed and read the bible/koran until you finish them

then smoke a ton of weed and watch "2deep4u" anime and start connecting the dots through /x/ and other forms of media that deal with the esoteric and dabble in quantum physics

you'll thank me later
>>
Doesn't help. You're welcome to try though. Then you'll probably get into therapy and it doesn't work, then you're on to pills or alcohol, which help for awhile but ultimately make things worse, and then eventually the insanity of it all sets in and you find yourself truly alone. You might stave this off for a few years, but social anxiety is a losing battle and you're better off trying to force yourself to go outside and talk to people than sitting alone reading some self-help book. Wish I had better news.
>>
>>28931390
1) Don't smoke weed.
2) Read Power of your subconscious mind by Joseph Murphy
3) Do what he says
4) ???????
5) Profit!!!

That book got me my first dat with 9/10, and enlarged my circle of friends by many fold. It helped me meet one of my best friends.

Many other things - to be respected and admired.

It truly works.

But dont read anything else, you can easily get lost in books.

Just read that one many times - AND DO WHAT HE SAYS.

Here's a free pdf
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6RdDdCrxK2HWWZycWF5TmZDNVU/view
>>
I want to fuck her tits while telling her that she's important because of her tits and her tits make her special and precious and the most valuable thing about her is her tits.
>>
Kind of pointless. It's a better method to attack the problem directly.
If you know what makes you anxious or depressed, then put all your efforts into changing that. For example, if you have anxiety cause you've been a loser your whole life and never had a gf, then give your all to stop being a loser and getting a gf instead of reading pretentious bullshit.
>>
File: 1464048198907.jpg (25 KB, 350x517) Image search: [Google]
1464048198907.jpg
25 KB, 350x517
>>28931696
>>28931708

shills on the loose

beware
>>
>>28931390
Read postmodern philosophy and learn that nothing is truly real, the only reality is what you make real.
>>
>>28931390
diagnosed social anxiety here
self help books have never really helped me
the thing that has helped me the most is working in a call center
gave me panic attacks at first and i was always shaking and dripping sweat but i stuck with it because it seemed less bad than the alternatives and my boss is forgiving
now i feel like i "know the rules" and how to converse with people to get the right things out of them
i still don't know what people feel, but i know how they work
i'm also desensitized to doing things wrong and making things awkward. it's happened so much now i just shrug and move on.
i'm also desensitized to bothering or annoying people. i couldn't care less and sometimes i enjoy it. no more "ssususosu-so sor ry"

so maybe just practicing a lot can help. by a lot i mean over 2000 phone calls per month.
>>
>>28931799
Yeah, don't listen to what the people who have actually lived with this condition for years say. Read your self-help books in a nice cozy environment, and see how much that actually helps with your fears. Exposure therapy is the only way. You have to confront your demons, and that's not something you can learn from a book.
>>
>>28931390
drugs are the only thing that helped me. and boy do opiates help.
I never feel anxious any more around people. Just annoyed. Self help books are worthless.
>>
>>28931974
I agree with you. It sucks, but in my experience exposure is the only way to desensitize fears.
>>
>>28931390
Self-help books are crap (I read a few). Just regular books are good though. Try Idiot by Dostoyevski, and realize that people +- 150 years ago went through the same shit you do now, you stupid Idiot.

>on a side note
This is just what I thought of while I had social anxiety when I was an edgy teen; It's the inability to see yourself within a social situation. The inexperience to measure yourself and others when talking. Ultimately, a lack of self-knowledge. Get that experience.
>>
File: 1463741646850.png (257 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1463741646850.png
257 KB, 450x450
ignore shill posts

do not reply to shill posters

hide shill response threads(dont think for a second one isnt in the making)
>>
Self help books making wild claims I've found to be nonsense, but more moderated ones written by actual psychologists can provide useful information on establishing good habits and dealing with stress and anxiety. "Manage your Mind" by Gillian Butler is one I found particularly good, and it often reads more like a textbook.
>>
>>28931390
>self-help
>philosophy

Fuck.

Yes you should be reading philosophy but anxiety has to do with the amygdala part of the brain.

Reading philosophy will help you in ways but I don't know it if can address the amygdala. I used to get anxious in social situations though and I am a lot better now.

I watched a lot of MDE to help with my social skills. And Stefan Molyneux is an interesting philosophy channel, just don't watch him for social skills. He'll teach you how to anger people.
>>
>>28931390

Just act like everybody that you meet in your life is a non-player character and you are a lawful neutral avatar of your true self.
>>
I used to be really into self-help. Most of it is just feel good bullshit that makes you feel briefly better but doesn't really change anything. But some can be useful.

Philosophy doesn't have anything to do with self help but read it if it interests you anyway.
>>
>>28931390

its always the same rehashed shit
>work out
>eat healthy
>jus b urself
>jus dont b urself because you're fucking autistic
>talk to everyone
>no really, go out of your way to act like a sperg in public
>social skills are like a muscle to be trained
>keep trying
>talk to a psychologist
>keep trying
>i know its not working
>keep trying
>lol youre just doing it wrong
>keep trying
>well fine go wallow in your self pity then you fucking nerd
every fucking time.
>>
>>28931708
>Here's a free pdf
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6RdDdCrxK2HWWZycWF5TmZDNVU/view

virus
>>
>>28931825
fedora detected desu
>>
>>28931390
Read different philosophies because chances are your social anxiety is based on your perception of the world. Don't rule out religions too; you don't need to worship but there are many lessons to gain.

I started with Stoicism. Read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, it helped a lot with my anger
>>
>>28934325
Hilariously accurate.
>>
>>28931825
Postmodern? The worst fucking philosophy of the past 100 years? Fuck off with that shit.
>>
>>28933212
What is MDE?
>>
>>28934901
Million Dollar Extreme, it's a comedy youtube channel
>>
What are /r9k/ approved self-help books? I downloaded something called Gorilla Mindset which seems promising, albeit oozing with low-tier Chad bro-babble but that may be precisely why it will be helpful.

I have UltraMind Solution also.
>>
self-help books industry is a scam to make money off idiots. the advice is often trite and of no real value. i know, because i used to read self-help books.
>>
>>28934957
oh, and instead of actually addressing your problems, you're reading a self-help book and then moving onto the next self-help book.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.