[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what distinguishes a therapist from an attentive nonprofessional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1452979881331s.jpg (11 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1452979881331s.jpg
11 KB, 250x242
what distinguishes a therapist from an attentive nonprofessional conversational partner ?

or do you basically pay a therapist to simulate a serious friendship ?

of course i know they were educated but i always failed to feel the difference while talking to them
>>
>>28924611
A friend cares and might sometimes have advice beyond 'try thinking differently about it'.
>>
File: 1452971906061s.jpg (10 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1452971906061s.jpg
10 KB, 250x187
>>28924623
so you would say that a real friend is even better ?
>>
>>28924611
There are different levels of therapist.

Some of them (usually the cheap ones) are essentially a shoulder to cry on. Honestly that's where it gets dodgy because it is in their monetary interest to just listen to you and not actively help your problems.

Ones with actual history/papers/high qualifications are more doctor-like. Techniques may vary: one I had acted like a drill instructor and outright said in the first session that they were not my friend. For these ones, it is in their best interests to actually, actively help you improve.

Try various ones for a one-session consultation: It is pretty easy to tell the difference once you have had experience with a few different ones.
>>
>>28924667
>There are different levels of therapist.

NO TRUE THERAPIST

Bullshit. No therapist ever either cared enough or knew enough to spout anything than 'those thoughts are just in your head', 'you are not your thoughts', 'your thoughts depend on you', 'this is just a perspective', 'you can't be certain' delusional drivel.
>>
>>28924690
>>28924667
In short, it is YOU whose experience with people is so narrow to realize that an average science undergraduate, hell, an average /r9k/ poster, has more psychological insight and basic human responsibility (willingness to provide solutions to your e.g. relationship or family problems) than a therapist who's only going to parrot his 'you must take responsibility for your life'.
>>
>>28924713
*to fail to realize
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.